2 large jalapenos diced

1 can chipotle tomatoes petite dice
1 small can tomato sauce

3 spice dumps

Adding cayenne and Tabasco at the end

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 12:20 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Probably my best ever:  an attempt to get close to the original San Antonio Chili Queens recipe.  I used less onion and more chile peppers & cumin, but the result was stellar.  I'd say the heat was "medium".  No tomatoes, no stock, mostly just beef & pork, chile peppers, spices and water.

Chili_Queen_Chili.jpg

2 lb    beef chuck (cubed ~ 1/2")
1 lb    pork loin (cubed ~ 1/2")
8        dried guajillo peppers
8        dried ancho peppers
4        dried chipotle peppers
3        cloves garlic 
1        medium sweet onion 
1 t     Mexican oregano
2 T    cumin seeds
2 t     paprika
1 T    salt 
8 c    water
3 T    extra virgin olive oil
3 T    masa harina

1.       stem & seed ancho, guajillo and chipotle peppers.  Soak in 4c hot water for 20 minutes.  Discard steeping water.

2.       Toast cumin seeds until fragrant; grind to medium powder

3.       Combine cumin with oregano, paprika and salt

4.       Heat 4 c water until warm and add to blender with drained peppers and half of spice blend

5.       Blend pepper/water/spice combination with 1 T olive oil until very smooth

6.       Dice onion medium fine; saute in 2 T olive oil until slightly translucent over medium heat in large Dutch oven

7.       Mince garlic and set aside

8.       Dice beef & pork to ~ ½” cubes, add to Dutch oven, season with remaining spice blend and saute until lightly browned

9.       Add garlic to Dutch oven for ~ 30 seconds, do not burn

10.    Immediately add pepper/water/spice puree to Dutch oven and reduce to low

11.    Simmer for 2-3 hours, adding water as necessary.  Add masa harina before serving to tighten.

Wife signed us up for a chili cookoff at her work which of course meant me making chili and brisket. Used this recipe with a few small tweaks (+garlic, +rendered brisket fat instead of olive oil), using smoked brisket and ground pork as the meats. Won first place in a landslide, apparently. I didn't even get any leftovers because the people at her work basically licked the dutch oven clean. +rep - this recipe kicks ass. Thanks for posting it.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Wife signed us up for a chili cookoff at her work which of course meant me making chili and brisket. Used this recipe with a few small tweaks (+garlic, +rendered brisket fat instead of olive oil), using smoked brisket and ground pork as the meats. Won first place in a landslide, apparently. I didn't even get any leftovers because the people at her work basically licked the dutch oven clean. +rep - this recipe kicks ass. Thanks for posting it.

Thank the Chili Queens -- that recipe (or one close to it) is housed in a museum in San Antonio.  I'm glad to hear it went over well.

Thank the Chili Queens -- that recipe (or one close to it) is housed in a museum in San Antonio.  I'm glad to hear it went over well.

How would you describe the heat? I am tortured trying to make a great pot chili despite the fact that my wife and kids don’t like spicy food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

How would you describe the heat? I am tortured trying to make a great pot chili despite the fact that my wife and kids don’t like spicy food.

It's medium.  I'd cut the chipotle peppers in half if you're worried about heat.  Add some hot sauce for your bowl

• Like 1

3 guajillos
2 anchos
1 japone (maybe 2 if you like it hot?  I don't use them)

Remove stems & seeds, and then rehydrate peppers for 15-20 minutes in hot water, remove to blender, and blend with just enough water to make a liquid slurry.
Saute 2 pounds of meat -- all ground beef or maybe half & half beef or pork -- along with a diced onion and a few cloves of garlic, minced.  Lightly brown the meat, don't go too far, it won't break up even with a long simmer if it gets too dried out while browning.
Add the pepper slurry, along with maybe 1 tablespoon each of ground cumin and paprika along with 2 tsp of salt and a tsp of oregano, and enough water or broth (chicken or beef) to look "right".  Simmer and keep adding water/broth over the next couple of hours if it starts to look dry.  Eat.
You could include some tomatoes or tomato sauce if you feel like it's necessary, but it's not required.

Gave this recipe a shot today as it’s my first time using the pepper paste method. Adjusted slightly (no onions - wife hates onions, did guajillo/ancho/New Mexico). Holy shit total game changer. Needs some work on my end given it’s my first try but turned out amazing.

4b1b2d8cd9a368fa4aa0cfc9a62f87b8.jpg9c5b64d5eec0db12a3242a19abc2e5c9.jpg92d7ce2f91d769918a2b3c66b46a3cdf.jpg

Went with the recipe JimmyJazz posted earlier. Only changes were I cut the Chipotle in half , cut one cup of the water and added one cup of beer and doubled the oregano. Added some additional salt after cooking for a while.

Was extremely tasty and very mild ( family all enjoyed it, which is rare).

4d3e7be899d40f51106b3d8911940835.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, thestud said:

Well I intended to provide updates throughout the process, but one of the rules of chili making is that alcohol must be consumed in mass quantities. I got sidetracked and focused more on my chili making and whiskey drinking than in updating the process here.

and that's fair

You new here? I’ve posted the recipe I use no less than a half dozen times between this thread and the one on the scat site.

fdbc5e1a2985ef6a7b8e49064c707bc8.jpg

9de21d30bcaeacdb8d131b61e40c2da8.jpg

Sub finely diced onion for onion powder. Same for the garlic.
Reconstituted guajillo and ancho chili‘a instead of chili powder.
Float 3 jalapeños and two serrano.
Instead of beef and chicken broth sub lone star, shiner. I like the flavor that dark beers seem to bring out, but it reeks of communism to not have lone star in a pot of chili so I use both.
Anytime it starts to need more water/broth, use beer instead.

Great recipe. Recipes like that one win the world championship just about every year. I’ve tried several of them and I can barely tell them apart. And after trying reconstituted whole chiles many times I now just stick to powders—namely Mexene. Mexene based chili wins a lot of competitions. I’d like to think that reconstituted chiles would result in a superior product but IMO its not worth the effort.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Great recipe. Recipes like that one win the world championship just about every year. I’ve tried several of them and I can barely tell them apart. And after trying reconstituted whole chiles many times I now just stick to powders—namely Mexene. Mexene based chili wins a lot of competitions. I’d like to think that reconstituted chiles would result in a superior product but IMO its not worth the effort.

For me it definitely results in a superior product, though not necessarily a predictable/repeatable one which is reason enough to stay away if you're competing.

I don't find reconstituting chiles to be all that difficult or time-consuming.  But I also have a Vitamix blender which makes it super-easy to liquefy.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

For me it definitely results in a superior product, though not necessarily a predictable/repeatable one which is reason enough to stay away if you're competing.

I don't find reconstituting chiles to be all that difficult or time-consuming.  But I also have a Vitamix blender which makes it super-easy to liquefy.

Same here. It’s easy and I think it makes a huge difference.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Same here. It’s easy and I think it makes a huge difference.

#3 for freshly ground chiles or reconstituted.  Massive upgrade over store bought chili powder.

Also, the Lynn Hejtmancik recipe is my go-to as well.  I use the Better Than Bouillon beef and chicken broth and add two bans of Original Rotel are my only changes.

14 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Also, the Lynn Hejtmancik recipe is my go-to as well.  I use the Better Than Bouillon beef and chicken broth and add two bans of Original Rotel are my only changes.

Mine is pretty simple.  Ground beef with onions and garlic, toss in the red reconstituted chili sludge (I use about 8 New Mexico and 2 chipotle), beef broth, Mexican oregano, a teaspoon of instant espresso, and a few spoonfulls of Adobo sauce for some heat.

• Like 1

Yeah, #4.  Switching to fresh homemade chili powder, ground from toasted chiles, was a massive step up in flavor (IMHO) from store bought.  Reconstituted slurry takes it up another notch.  I'll use chili powder in other applications, but I'm all-in on homemade CP and reconstituted.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:13 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm at 8 peppers per lb of meat.  Equal blend of ancho, guajillo, and chipotle.  Made a batch yesterday on a quick trip home from the office at lunch, and it was glorious at dinner.  I have a photo somewhere . . . pretty standard stuff, but chili.

EDIT:  by "equal blend" I mean 8 of each pepper for a 3 lb chili.

@jimmyjazz you still at about 8 peppers per lb of meat?

making a bunch to freeze on Saturday and wondering if you have adjusted much of anything? don't want it to be TOO hot based on the people that want to eat it but making my first dive into the reconstituted slurry and trying to decide how many dried peppers i need for like 6-8 lbs of meat

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

@jimmyjazz you still at about 8 peppers per lb of meat?

making a bunch to freeze on Saturday and wondering if you have adjusted much of anything? don't want it to be TOO hot based on the people that want to eat it but making my first dive into the reconstituted slurry and trying to decide how many dried peppers i need for like 6-8 lbs of meat

Yeah, but lately I've been trading some of the anchos for more guajillos.  Anchos are heavier and it feels like they can skew the batch too far towards that "raisin-y" flavor.  I also dropped the # of chipotles in favor of the milder peppers.

Let's say something more like 8 anchos, 12 guajillos and 4 chipotles in a 3 pound batch.

So, I guess my total amount of peppers (by weight) has probably gone down, but it still tastes like chili to me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When using the recipes that call for 2LB's, is there a consensus on how everyone handles the spices when increasing to 4LB's?  I've just doubled before and chili spices seemed too overwhelming.  I've not made adjustments and not enough. spice  So i've typically gone somewhere around 1.5X but more often than not end up just doing a 2LB'er (or doing 2 separate batches of 2 LB's as my wife doesn't like it as spicy as I do) so haven't dialed it in.   I might do 2 batches again tomorrow (and try out the recipe thestud posted above in 1 batch as I've been wanting to try that one) but if I just combine, curious how others handle the ratios.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh hai!

Giddy Ups Thanksgiving Cookoff. I never do well there. But I do ok at the VF Dubya in Manchaca. Come on out and eat some chili, we always need judges. You get free beer. 50f4a1aa3bf5bbc551b9bdf952494ac7.jpg

December 14th

bbe29d389ea492dcb9a0013c9129c5d1.jpg

When using the recipes that call for 2LB's, is there a consensus on how everyone handles the spices when increasing to 4LB's?  I've just doubled before and chili spices seemed too overwhelming.  I've not made adjustments and not enough. spice  So i've typically gone somewhere around 1.5X but more often than not end up just doing a 2LB'er (or doing 2 separate batches of 2 LB's as my wife doesn't like it as spicy as I do) so haven't dialed it in.   I might do 2 batches again tomorrow (and try out the recipe thestud posted above in 1 batch as I've been wanting to try that one) but if I just combine, curious how others handle the ratios.

Gotta watch the gravy. The turn in cup for Terlingua is at least a quart, that’s most of my 3 pound batch. Anything more than that, it’s easy to lose control of your gravy and end up with runny chili.

• Like 1

Good to see you here, SD.

Thx, bro.
Salud.
Terlingua was epic shit. Snowed outside Alpine.
10 butthole clenching miles later, and the sun comes out and it’s a bluebird day.
Gary P Nunn played Saturday night, for possibly the last time. Folks are getting old, all the crazy peeps go down to CASI and Krazy Flats.
I hang with the old farts.

• Like 1

Bump. If you sign up to judge, there’s free beer. There’s more categories depending on how many people show up. I’m doing Bloody Marys and chili. If you swing by my stove, there’s free chili, unless you’re judging.

And free Bloody Marys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife and I just made the "Perdernalas River Rat" Chili that won the 1988 Terlingua International Chili Championship and it is still a winner.

The following day, We took the leftover chili and added some jalapenos and diced tomatoes to make it a little spiceir and to go further and it was also very good.

Makes me want to start a new batch just thinking about it.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:43 PM, Snow Dog said:

Got skunked. I have strayed from my usual recipe and it shows.

Tolbert State in March.

Well your recipe from page 1 is fantastic.  Wife wanted some chile for NYE so I poked around and took the plunge.  Followed directions very closely with only minor modifications.  And I could not find any "$#@&in", but it turned out great anyway.

IMG_5728.jpg.4503b0eeda2c91369cd04d3e57c06a96.jpg

3 adults and 2 kids polished this off in 30 minutes.  A request was made for Batch #2 which was summarily rejected as I was having too much fun being the food hero, getting drunk and watching the Longhorns kick the shit out of Utah.  Nice way to end the year, thanks for that.

• Like 1

Well your recipe from page 1 is fantastic.  Wife wanted some chile for NYE so I poked around and took the plunge.  Followed directions very closely with only minor modifications.  And I could not find any "$#@&in", but it turned out great anyway.
IMG_5728.jpg.4503b0eeda2c91369cd04d3e57c06a96.jpg

3 adults and 2 kids polished this off in 30 minutes.  A request was made for Batch #2 which was summarily rejected as I was having too much fun being the food hero, getting drunk and watching the Longhorns kick the shit out of Utah.  Nice way to end the year, thanks for that.

We all share recipes, it’s a fellowship. I talked to a friend in Terlingua, he has a campground in Fredericksburg. Gave him a good recipe, he sells out of chili every day.
We shroomed under the stars in the desert.