Chili w/o beans

Dutch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 12:20 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Probably my best ever:  an attempt to get close to the original San Antonio Chili Queens recipe.  I used less onion and more chile peppers & cumin, but the result was stellar.  I'd say the heat was "medium".  No tomatoes, no stock, mostly just beef & pork, chile peppers, spices and water.

Thanks to jimmyjazz, today I made my first batch of truly from scratch chili. I went with a 6/6/6 pepper mix. Came out great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, Tonesky said:

Thanks to jimmyjazz, today I made my first batch of truly from scratch chili. I went with a 6/6/6 pepper mix. Came out great. 

Strange... pics aren't showing up on Tapa or desktop. Shit must be more borked than usual.

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, Tonesky said:

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Strange... pics aren't showing up on Tapa or desktop. Shit must be more borked than usual.

I deserve that. 

1854231038_Chili1.thumb.jpeg.39fd9cef78c425a41db0dce08cb5e943.jpeg

1663876333_Chili2.thumb.jpeg.828c3710f2f8f51a4118283d156d280a.jpeg

1710524385_Chili3.thumb.jpeg.49ab3fe449e39084cad8361df1cf5057.jpeg

1588069753_Chili4.thumb.jpeg.6a311f5a01c9073787b2222492894925.jpeg

750529386_Chili5.thumb.jpeg.c4cc02f949a18bd23a2233f28edb1909.jpeg

1418600845_Chili6.thumb.jpeg.0b12168407eb57f3d564028298ff0103.jpeg

2061871894_Chili7.thumb.jpeg.7dbd807fdc1280c874b4c19ccc56c98f.jpeg

1289962707_Chili8.thumb.jpeg.e20ee2a4ee58331ed43fa57776e7ac8c.jpeg

723124870_Chili9.thumb.jpeg.68b88904c36cb3caf8ad29c63c628ffd.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Search sucks. I want to make real deal Texas chili this weekend and need a go-to recipe. Never done it before.

If you are a first time or long time chili maker, you can’t go wrong with this basis for making your chili.  Follow the instructions and then add some extra onion and jalapeños or serranos if you want.   It’s easy and taste great.   Some here may freak out or geek out and say all sorts of nasty stuff about “kit” chili but WF is great as a basis to work from.  

Editor’s note:  We will know if you put beans in your chili and someone will show up in the middle of the night and stab you. 

44675D8C-4C3D-4FFE-80F4-5F7F39C33424.jpeg

• Like 1

I am not ashamed to admit that I just reflexively licked my computer screen.

Now I gotta fire up some chili.

Did I mention I'm working on a chili kit based on the San Antonio Chili Queens' recipe?  It's pretty close to dialed in.  I'm trying to balance things without deviating very far from what has been recorded.  At least one ingredient just isn't feasible from a cost standpoint, but there's a substitute that is. 

It's not the same as running dehydrated peppers, but it's close.  I'll send out beta test kits to a few folks here soon if anyone wants to try it and give me feedback.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Did I mention I'm working on a chili kit based on the San Antonio Chili Queens' recipe?  It's pretty close to dialed in.  I'm trying to balance things without deviating very far from what has been recorded.  At least one ingredient just isn't feasible from a cost standpoint, but there's a substitute that is. 

It's not the same as running dehydrated peppers, but it's close.  I'll send out beta test kits to a few folks here soon if anyone wants to try it and give me feedback.

Subscribed!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 12:20 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Probably my best ever:  an attempt to get close to the original San Antonio Chili Queens recipe.  I used less onion and more chile peppers & cumin, but the result was stellar.  I'd say the heat was "medium".  No tomatoes, no stock, mostly just beef & pork, chile peppers, spices and water.

Chili_Queen_Chili.jpg

2 lb    beef chuck (cubed ~ 1/2")
1 lb    pork loin (cubed ~ 1/2")
8        dried guajillo peppers
8        dried ancho peppers
4        dried chipotle peppers
3        cloves garlic 
1        medium sweet onion 
1 t     Mexican oregano
2 T    cumin seeds
2 t     paprika
1 T    salt 
8 c    water
3 T    extra virgin olive oil
3 T    masa harina

1.       stem & seed ancho, guajillo and chipotle peppers.  Soak in 4c hot water for 20 minutes.  Discard steeping water.

2.       Toast cumin seeds until fragrant; grind to medium powder

3.       Combine cumin with oregano, paprika and salt

4.       Heat 4 c water until warm and add to blender with drained peppers and half of spice blend

5.       Blend pepper/water/spice combination with 1 T olive oil until very smooth

6.       Dice onion medium fine; saute in 2 T olive oil until slightly translucent over medium heat in large Dutch oven

7.       Mince garlic and set aside

8.       Dice beef & pork to ~ ½” cubes, add to Dutch oven, season with remaining spice blend and saute until lightly browned

9.       Add garlic to Dutch oven for ~ 30 seconds, do not burn

10.    Immediately add pepper/water/spice puree to Dutch oven and reduce to low

11.    Simmer for 2-3 hours, adding water as necessary.  Add masa harina before serving to tighten.

About to follow this. Might change up the meat - will report back once I check what they have at HEB. As well as the pepper mix. And fuck cumin seeds I ain't got time for that shit, regular cumin will do.

On the stove. Main concerns might be the pot I'm using (best one I could find), the size I cubed the meat into (maybe a little big or inconsistent) and the amount of time I browned the meat for (just kind of eyeballed it). 

I had to get a little crazy with the peppers so I added some chile de arbol and a deseeded habañero. Can't be that bad, right?

20201026_175256.jpg

20201026_183156.jpg

20201026_183201.jpg

20201026_184103.jpg

20201026_184721.jpg

Rounding 3rd. A lot of water added and cooked off. Almost 4 hours on the stove now. Generous amount of salt during the process and a dash of a few other things. (Had just added water btw - going to let it reduce one more time then pull it)

20201026_232911.thumb.jpg.3d0bff153491907fc09bcd403bfafa43.jpg

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

Came out pretty fucking good for my first effort. Thanks for the killer recipe @jimmyjazz

Little bit soupier than I would have liked but after sitting in the fridge overnight and being reheated it should be close to perfect.

Heat level was surprisingly pretty mild even with the arbols and habanero, but I have a really high tolerance. Might float some raw peppers in next time or leave the seeds in the habanero. 

20201026_235747.jpg

20201026_235931.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

I am not ashamed to admit that I just reflexively licked my computer screen.
Now I gotta fire up some chili.

Yes! I’m obsessed with the San Antonio chili queens and want to try it.

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

That recipe has too much water, imo. Much easier to add water as needed than to cook off too much water.

Good note - thanks. I did simmer it for about 5 hours instead of the 2-3 on the recipe so the issue could have been that I ADDED too much water. Not that there was much of an "issue" - it's fucking delicious - but the texture wasn't quite what I wanted. 

And whoever said upthread somewhere about it needing a lot of salt was spot on. I probably added a few tablespoons to it.

My basic salt ratio is 3/4 teaspoon per pound of food.  Works for protein as well as water.  (Well, not pasta water, but water as a base for a soup, etc.)

Browning up 2 lb of ground beef?  Add 1.5 tsp of kosher salt.

Simmering a quart of water?  Well, water weighs 8 lb per gallon, so that quart weighs 2 lb.  Add 1.5 tsp of kosher salt.

Seems to work pretty well.  So, the recipe I posted in June 2018 (#16 on this thread) is probably a little light on the salt, since I suggested 1 Tbsp.  That was spot on for the 8 cups water (4 lb x 0.75 tsp/lb = 3 tsp = 1 Tbsp), but the recipe also had 3 pounds of raw meat that need its own salt.  That would be an additional 2.25 tsp, or 0.75 Tbsp.  If I were working on that recipe today, I'd probably dial it up to 5-6 tsp salt (1.67 - 2 Tbsp).  This jibes with some chili I made last week, where I used precooked and well-salted meat in addition to salting the water according to the ratio above.

My bad.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

My basic salt ratio is 3/4 teaspoon per pound of food.  Works for protein as well as water.  (Well, not pasta water, but water as a base for a soup, etc.)

Browning up 2 lb of ground beef?  Add 1.5 tsp of kosher salt.

Simmering a quart of water?  Well, water weighs 8 lb per gallon, so that quart weighs 2 lb.  Add 1.5 tsp of kosher salt.

Seems to work pretty well.  So, the recipe I posted in June 2018 (#16 on this thread) is probably a little light on the salt, since I suggested 1 Tbsp.  That was spot on for the 8 cups water (4 lb x 0.75 tsp/lb = 3 tsp = 1 Tbsp), but the recipe also had 3 pounds of raw meat that need its own salt.  That would be an additional 2.25 tsp, or 0.75 Tbsp.  If I were working on that recipe today, I'd probably dial it up to 5-6 tsp salt (1.67 - 2 Tbsp).  This jibes with some chili I made last week, where I used precooked and well-salted meat in addition to salting the water according to the ratio above.

My bad.

And I probably doubled that. Salt to taste I guess.

And no worries - I'm not enough of an idiot to only put in the amount called for and then complain about it 😉

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And I probably doubled that. Salt to taste I guess.

And no worries - I'm not enough of an idiot to only put in the amount called for and then complain about it 😉

Honestly, the last batch I whipped up was probably the most flavorful I've ever made, as in "properly seasoned".  The fact that the cooked meat had plenty of salt was probably the difference.

If you look at popular chili kits, you'll see dramatically different amounts of sodium.  I have one each of Wick Fowler and CASI Terlingua in my pantry, and they claim the following levels of sodium:

Wick Fowler:  80 milligrams

Terlingua:  4,640 milligrams

A tsp of Morton Kosher Salt (coarse) weighs ~ 5 grams (5,000 milligrams).  So, essentially zero salt for Wick Fowler (which does instruct to add some if desired) and probably 25% of what I'd use for the Terlingua (which does call for chicken stock, so that adds another 2 grams or so).

Long story short:  don't eat my chili if you have hypertension, and definitely don't eat ztejas' version.

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Long story short:  don't eat my chili if you have hypertension, and definitely don't eat ztejas' version.

Well, yeah, my posts in SteelShank should evidence that. 

To be fair - I used closer to 4lbs of meat than 3 - and didn't discard any trimmings or anything. I also used more peppers - I think I did 9/8/5 of the ones it calls for plus 4-5 arbols and a habanero. I also used about an onion and a half. 

I think ultimately I didn't go over 4 Tbsp - which would be twice what you would go for - but I also probably had 130-135% as much volume in the pot.  I ended up using more like 5 Tbsp of masa - too. 

TLDR - this shit is such a science. It's more like baking than cooking. 

Oh - funny note - I asked my dad what to do as he's always cooked a mean pot of red. He told me "Easiest way is to get a WF chili kit - discard the paprika but follow the rest of the instructions". So I omitted the paprika in keeping with tradition. Maybe it's a West Texas distrust of ethnic spices thing. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

I intended to make chili using more or less the recipe above but while HEB was open, it did not have dried chiles.  Where they normally would be was the Fiesta Chili powder packets so went with that.  It called for making a little roux with oil and flour and frying the spice packet with some cumin seeds, so I added that to what I had already put together with other spices I had on hand.  I like to add a Sason Goya packet or two at the end for some MSG.  It was the best I've made by using all powders.  I killed the leftovers for lunch today since we officially have chili weather.