Chili w/o beans

Dutch

On 10/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Team Vitamix

Those things are bulletproof.  Not only are they far superior to KitchenAid, etc., they take a beating and never wince.  Ours gets used multiple times per day, and it's essentially as good as new.

I went out to buy one of these to up my chili game. I must admit my naiveté and was absolutely floored to find out the cost of a high end Vitamix. 

3 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I went out to buy one of these to up my chili game. I must admit my naiveté and was absolutely floored to find out the cost of a high end Vitamix. 

Yeah, the sticker-shock is... well... shocking.

My wife bought ours without really telling me, it just appeared.  She makes smoothies and protein drinks and soups with it, and I'll admit I was a little angry initially, until the first time I used it to make chile gravy and realized it was a miracle tool and I have no idea how I lived without it.

But like JJ said, they take a beating and look and perform as if brand-new, so it's likely the last blender you'll ever need to by-- if that's any consolation.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, the sticker-shock is... well... shocking.

My wife bought ours without really telling me, it just appeared.  She makes smoothies and protein drinks and soups with it, and I'll admit I was a little angry initially, until the first time I used it to make chile gravy and realized it was a miracle tool and I have no idea how I lived without it.

But like JJ said, they take a beating and look and perform as if brand-new, so it's likely the last blender you'll ever need to by-- if that's any consolation.

This.  I resisted the wife's insistence for a while, but after burning through two other POS blenders we bought one and it is awesome. 7 year warranty, but this thing is rock solid and should last a long time. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I am not ashamed to admit that I just reflexively licked my computer screen.

Now I gotta fire up some chili.

Did I mention I'm working on a chili kit based on the San Antonio Chili Queens' recipe?  It's pretty close to dialed in.  I'm trying to balance things without deviating very far from what has been recorded.  At least one ingredient just isn't feasible from a cost standpoint, but there's a substitute that is. 

It's not the same as running dehydrated peppers, but it's close.  I'll send out beta test kits to a few folks here soon if anyone wants to try it and give me feedback.

hey, uh any chance at getting one of these? or is it too late

On 10/27/2020 at 5:21 PM, HenryJames said:

Robb Walsh throws in a couple of anchos you cook with the chili. Pull them out at the end, purée them, and then throw them back in.

Robb is a wealth of information.  I recently emailed him asking about what red chiles might have been used in the San Antonio "official" blend.  He immediately pointed out that New Mexico Reds couldn't have been used, because of Native American lands straddling the TX/NM border which pretty much cut off trade.  He felt strongly that the chiles used in those classic reds were guajillo (along with ancho and serrano).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 7:30 PM, pops said:

Made @jimmyjazz red last night except I don't use ground beef because I don't like it. Just cubed chuck and some cubed pork. Added a couple short ribs because why not?  I highly recommend adding a couple short ribs. Fan fucking tastic. 

sorry, the pics aren't coming through. 

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled onto thespicehouse.com, which offers ground ancho, chipotle, guajillo, and new mexico chilis.  These appear to be straight ground chili peppers - not chili powders that also include cumin, garlic, paprika, etc.  But, the product descriptions do not include any suggested measurement, such as, 1/x tsp = approx. 1 chipotle pepper.  Have any of your experimented with these or similar ground chilis?  Any thoughts on approximate measurements as a starting basis for using these in a recipe that calls for dried peppers and vitamix magic (which I will be doing for my x-mas eve tamales)?

On 12/22/2020 at 1:23 PM, Tonesky said:

I stumbled onto thespicehouse.com, which offers ground ancho, chipotle, guajillo, and new mexico chilis.  These appear to be straight ground chili peppers - not chili powders that also include cumin, garlic, paprika, etc.  But, the product descriptions do not include any suggested measurement, such as, 1/x tsp = approx. 1 chipotle pepper.  Have any of your experimented with these or similar ground chilis?  Any thoughts on approximate measurements as a starting basis for using these in a recipe that calls for dried peppers and vitamix magic (which I will be doing for my x-mas eve tamales)?

Rough approximations:

1 "large" chile pepper (ancho, guajillo, dried Anaheim, dried New Mexico red or green) = 1 tablespoon powder

1 "small" chile pepper (serrano, jalapeno, chipotle) = 1 teaspoon powder

I don't use hotter peppers than that, so i can't speak to habanero or arbol peppers, but I would guess maybe 1/4 teaspoon of the former, 1/2 teaspoon of the latter.  I don't think you'll find them dried in powdered form, though, so it's probably a moot point.  I'd also err on the light side with the small peppers just in case the powder is hotter than expected.  I'm currently using 1 tsp green serrano powder per 3 lbs protein and it makes a nice hot batch.  (Let me reiterate:  I am trying to develop a commercial powdered kit, I'm not saying powder is the better way to go compared to rehydrated chiles.)

If it helps, most chiles when dried and ground end up in the ~ 7 grams per tablespoon range.  So, you could weigh some stemmed and seeded dried peppers of your choice and get a feel for volume using that guide.  Don't blame me if it's off, these are just home measurements.

Oh, you'll also have a lot more luck if you make a paste in good oil (ideally high-temp like grapeseed) and then mix that in with your browned meat, etc. instead of just dumping raw powder into water or stock.  Chile powders aren't particularly water soluble -- mix a paste with oil and heat to bloom with the protein before adding liquid and the consistency of your final pot will be improved.

All caveats implied.  I'm just feeling my way.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Rough approximations:

1 "large" chile pepper (ancho, guajillo, dried Anaheim, dried New Mexico red or green) = 1 tablespoon powder

1 "small" chile pepper (serrano, jalapeno, chipotle) = 1 teaspoon powder

I don't use hotter peppers than that, so i can't speak to habanero or arbol peppers, but I would guess maybe 1/4 teaspoon of the former, 1/2 teaspoon of the latter.  I don't think you'll find them dried in powdered form, though, so it's probably a moot point.  I'd also err on the light side with the small peppers just in case the powder is hotter than expected.  I'm currently using 1 tsp green serrano powder per 3 lbs protein and it makes a nice hot batch.  (Let me reiterate:  I am trying to develop a commercial powdered kit, I'm not saying powder is the better way to go compared to rehydrated chiles.)

If it helps, most chiles when dried and ground end up in the ~ 7 grams per tablespoon range.  So, you could weigh some stemmed and seeded dried peppers of your choice and get a feel for volume using that guide.  Don't blame me if it's off, these are just home measurements.

Oh, you'll also have a lot more luck if you make a paste in good oil (ideally high-temp like grapeseed) and then mix that in with your browned meat, etc. instead of just dumping raw powder into water or stock.  Chile powders aren't particularly water soluble -- mix a paste with oil and heat to bloom with the protein before adding liquid and the consistency of your final pot will be improved.

I used basically the @jimmyjazz recipe recently and it turned out great. Listen to this man. The only thing I wish I had done was throw in a few more serranos or habaneros in my initial steep/blend as it wasn’t quite spicy enough for me. But his recipe posted on some page in this thread is the ultimate recipe/starting point for anyone making their own chili paste. Full disclosure: I like anything that’s supposed to be hot to burn my hair off sO I have a pretty high heat tolerance, Your mileage may vary. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

1 minute ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I used basically the @jimmyjazz recipe recently and it turned out great. Listen to this man. The only thing I wish I had done was throw in a few more serranos or habaneros in my initial steep/blend as it wasn’t quite spicy enough for me. But his recipe posted on some page in this thread is the ultimate recipe/starting point for anyone making their own chili paste  

nvm dbl post

Edited by Etexhorn13

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Rough approximations:

Thanks.  I'll experiment with the prepared powders at some point.  For my latest batch, the base was 8 each ancho, guajillo, and chipotle.  Slammed hard. 

GetFileAttachment.thumb.jpg.cf4b32a202401917959076ad555d323c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Pretty novice at chili but have made a few pots and learned from each.  I am hampered by the fact that my wife is ULTRA white and doesn't like spicy foods as much.  She is just going to have to get over it for NYE.  

My last pot last year was using the reconstituted chilies and I really like that flavor.  (Used the recipe posted above)

I know I have a few dried peppers in a zip loc leftover from last year.  Are they fine to use in my NYE batch or do I need to go buy all new peppers? I mean they are fucking dried.  Should be ok, right??  

Which is better for blending my peppers?  Large food processor or regular blender? Does it matter? I am not buying a Vitamix.  

Side note - I went and grabbed a Texas Eats cookbook I got for Xmas and just realized it from Robb Walsh.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/26/2020 at 9:20 PM, Tony Two K said:

Basically the @jimmyjazz recipe with a couple pounds of leftover brisket substituted in. Outstanding.

7BC8D2A5-9606-498D-A342-6F33B3931275.jpeg

DAB4CB2C-9FE0-4385-8038-6D9E3C8FA44E.jpeg

F831CB33-7AB8-4477-A8FE-A9C867AC63BC.jpeg

Brisket in chili is otherworldly.  Haven't had any brisket around since I converted to the Church of the Holy Hydrated Chili Pepper. Gonna have to cook a brisket just to baptize it and bring it into the fullness of the faith. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I read a lot about chili.  I like to look at various online recipes to see how skewed people can get with ingredients, ratios, etc.  For instance, I recently saw a recipe that called for 2 lbs ground beef and 1/2 cup of cumin.

That is a MASSIVE amount of cumin.  I love cumin.  I wish most chilis had more cumin, but holy smokes, that's 8 Tbsp.  Most recipes would call for 2 tsp max for 2 lbs protein.  Maybe 1 Tbsp for a cumin freak.  8X-12X that amount would suck.

So, here's a website I found today.  I'll spoiler the actual recipe, but the title alone is good for a laugh.  Dig in to the ingredients if you really want a chuckle, with particular attention paid to kidney beans, RoTel tomatoes and tomato sauce.  (This guy is from San Antonio, too.)

AUTHENTIC TEXAS RED CHILI, OIL-FREE AND VEGAN

Spoiler

WTF "Authentic" Texas Red vegan chili

• 1/4 cup Chili Powder (1/4 cup is indeed correct. Texas chili is about spice. You can swap ratios with the Chipotle powder for a different flavor)
  • 1 tbsp Chipotle Chili Powder
  • 2 tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1/2 tsp Black or White Pepper
  • 4-6 Cloves Garlic
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • 1 tsp Oregano (use fresh if possible. It really does make a difference)
  • 1 Yellow or White Onion (do not use red for anything but a garnish)
  • 2 Large Bell Peppers (the more colorful the better)
  • 3 Cups Of Vegetable Broth
  • 2-4 Cups Your Choice of Meat Substitutes (Dixie Diner Strip Beef Not! is best)
  • 1 Can Tomato Sauce (8oz)
  • 1 Can RoTel or Fire Roasted Tomatoes
  • 1 can Kidney Beans

Before, and after. 

I did a second spice dump and added some stout about an hour from finish. Heat was perfect, for me. Just a little sweat on the forehead once done. 

Taste wise I think it could have used another spice added into the mix, but I haven't settled on what that would be. No, Ohio, not cinnamon. 

20201231_164352.jpg

20201231_165456.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...