Chili w/o beans

Dutch

Starting off with a copy of Snow Dog’s recipe. 

“I use the Cin-chili recipe.
With my own modifications which will not be divulged. 
http://www.chili.org/cindy.html
I'm off tomorrow, I believe I will make a pot o' chili.

Step 1
2 lbs - beef chuck tender cut into 3/8" cubes
1 tsp - cooking oil
1 tbsp - dark chili powder
2 tsp - granulated garlic

In a three quart heavy saucepan, add the above ingredients while browning the meat.

Step 2
1 - 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 - 14-1/2 oz can of beef broth
1 tsp - chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp - jalapeno powder
1 tbsp - onion powder
2 tsp - garlic powder
1/2 tsp - red pepper
1 tsp - white pepper
16 oz - spring water
1 tbsp - dark chili powder
2 - serrano peppers
1/2 tsp - salt

Combine seasonings and add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Float 2 serrano peppers.

Step 3
1 tbsp - paprika
1 pkg - Sazon seasoning (msg)
1 tsp - onion powder
1 tsp - garlic powder
1/2 tsp - white pepper
5 tbsp - medium and dark chili powders

Combine seasonings and add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. You may add water or beef broth for consistency. Remove serrano peppers when they become soft.

Step 4
2 tsp - $#@!in
1/8 tsp - salt

Add above ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.”

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a pot of red on the stove right now.  2.25 lb ground chuck, rehydrated peppers (3 ancho, 8 guajillo, approximately 1 oz each after stemming and seeding), a small onion, 2 cloves garlic, 8 oz tomato sauce (fucked up and meant to get paste, this stuff doesn't have shit like basil anyway so it might not matter), 3 cups beef broth, 1 T cumin, some paprika, Mexican oregano, salt.  Intentionally avoided hotter peppers like cayenne, arbol, chipotle to see how this might turn out.  I'll spike it up if need be, trying to baseline the heat level.

It was clear that was gonna be too mild, so I added 1 tsp dried chipotle and 1/2 tsp cayenne.  That bumped the result to "mild" (but incredibly tasty).  Turns out I forgot to add the tomato sauce, so I ended up making a fairly legit original San Antonion chili without completely intending to.

Which brings me to my next question:  if you look at the accepted original chili recipe recipe by the San Antonio Chili Queens, you'll see a reference to "dried red chiles":

2 lbs beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

1 lb pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

¼ cup suet

¼ cup pork fat

3 medium-sized onions, chopped

6 garlic cloves, minced

1-quart water

4 ancho chiles

1 serrano chile

6 dried red chiles

1 Tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground

2 tablespoons Mexican oregano

Salt to taste

What would be a good guess as to the actual "red chile" used in San Antonio circa 1880?  New Mexico chiles?  Guajillos?  Robb Walsh says "ancho + others" to round out the flavor.  I'm just fascinated with the idea of going back to something close to the original recipe (which no doubt varied from vendor to vendor anyway) and using ingredients of the time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That looks fucking fantastic. 

Thanks, it was.  Believe me, I've made a lot of shitty chili in my life.  Using rehydrated peppers probably makes the biggest difference, followed by toasting and grinding cumin seeds.  I think cumin powder loses its oils and flavor over time.

While I don't like screaming hot food, I'd like this to be just a bit hotter.  I will probably add another chipotle pepper and then float a serrano next time.  I would say this was probably just shy of Texas Chili Parlor XX.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I wish I knew.  I have a lot to learn.  I've seen references to "mouth feel" for different chilis, but I'm not far enough along to discern those things.

Judge, I've been making chili for so long it doesn't surprise me that I've gone back and forth on preferences.  All I know is that I'm not there yet, but my family agreed (and they will tell me otherwise, believe me) that this was about as good as I've done.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Probably my best ever:  an attempt to get close to the original San Antonio Chili Queens recipe.  I used less onion and more chile peppers & cumin, but the result was stellar.  I'd say the heat was "medium".  No tomatoes, no stock, mostly just beef & pork, chile peppers, spices and water.

Chili_Queen_Chili.jpg

2 lb    beef chuck (cubed ~ 1/2")
1 lb    pork loin (cubed ~ 1/2")
8        dried guajillo peppers
8        dried ancho peppers
4        dried chipotle peppers
3        cloves garlic 
1        medium sweet onion 
1 t     Mexican oregano
2 T    cumin seeds
2 t     paprika
1 T    salt 
8 c    water
3 T    extra virgin olive oil
3 T    masa harina

1.       stem & seed ancho, guajillo and chipotle peppers.  Soak in 4c hot water for 20 minutes.  Discard steeping water.

2.       Toast cumin seeds until fragrant; grind to medium powder

3.       Combine cumin with oregano, paprika and salt

4.       Heat 4 c water until warm and add to blender with drained peppers and half of spice blend

5.       Blend pepper/water/spice combination with 1 T olive oil until very smooth

6.       Dice onion medium fine; saute in 2 T olive oil until slightly translucent over medium heat in large Dutch oven

7.       Mince garlic and set aside

8.       Dice beef & pork to ~ ½” cubes, add to Dutch oven, season with remaining spice blend and saute until lightly browned

9.       Add garlic to Dutch oven for ~ 30 seconds, do not burn

10.    Immediately add pepper/water/spice puree to Dutch oven and reduce to low

11.    Simmer for 2-3 hours, adding water as necessary.  Add masa harina before serving to tighten.

This guy fucks.

About 6 years ago I learned to make chili with reconstituted chili peppers and I've never made it any other way since.  I do a variation of this recipe, but have never used paprika. Might give that a try. 

jimmyjazz, might I suggest a teaspoon of instant espresso.  Gives it a nice extra dark kick.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

About 6 years ago I learned to make chili with reconstituted chili peppers and I've never made it any other way since.  I do a variation of this recipe, but have never used paprika. Might give that a try. 

Thanks for pointing that out.  I have no idea how that got in there.  Not that I didn't use paprika, I did, but yeah it's pretty unlikely it was part of SA chili in the late 1800's.

Plus, I see I didn't use enough oregano.

Onward.

• 3 months later...

Yep, I'll second JJ and Sola: leftover smoked brisket makes an amazing pot of chili.  A leftover beef rib makes a fine chili addition as well.

Good looking pot, Sola.  I notice bottle of tequila amongst the ingredients.  Might I inquire as to its usage?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 12:20 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Probably my best ever:  an attempt to get close to the original San Antonio Chili Queens recipe.  I used less onion and more chile peppers & cumin, but the result was stellar.  I'd say the heat was "medium".  No tomatoes, no stock, mostly just beef & pork, chile peppers, spices and water.

Chili_Queen_Chili.jpg

2 lb    beef chuck (cubed ~ 1/2")
1 lb    pork loin (cubed ~ 1/2")
8        dried guajillo peppers
8        dried ancho peppers
4        dried chipotle peppers
3        cloves garlic 
1        medium sweet onion 
1 t     Mexican oregano
2 T    cumin seeds
2 t     paprika
1 T    salt 
8 c    water
3 T    extra virgin olive oil
3 T    masa harina

1.       stem & seed ancho, guajillo and chipotle peppers.  Soak in 4c hot water for 20 minutes.  Discard steeping water.

2.       Toast cumin seeds until fragrant; grind to medium powder

3.       Combine cumin with oregano, paprika and salt

4.       Heat 4 c water until warm and add to blender with drained peppers and half of spice blend

5.       Blend pepper/water/spice combination with 1 T olive oil until very smooth

6.       Dice onion medium fine; saute in 2 T olive oil until slightly translucent over medium heat in large Dutch oven

7.       Mince garlic and set aside

8.       Dice beef & pork to ~ ½” cubes, add to Dutch oven, season with remaining spice blend and saute until lightly browned

9.       Add garlic to Dutch oven for ~ 30 seconds, do not burn

10.    Immediately add pepper/water/spice puree to Dutch oven and reduce to low

11.    Simmer for 2-3 hours, adding water as necessary.  Add masa harina before serving to tighten.

Made this tonight...doubled the Mexican oregano and used a beer in place of additional water, but god damn this was the truth.  Agree it could be a little spicier but I just watched two 11 year olds and a picky as shit 15 year old take down whole bowls and in this case of my son go back and get more.  That rarely happens as the wife and I love chili but it ain't their thing.  If I'm cooking it without kids in play I'll float a couple of serannos.   

• Like 1

Thanks, it was.  Believe me, I've made a lot of shitty chili in my life.  Using rehydrated peppers probably makes the biggest difference, followed by toasting and grinding cumin seeds.  I think cumin powder loses its oils and flavor over time.
While I don't like screaming hot food, I'd like this to be just a bit hotter.  I will probably add another chipotle pepper and then float a serrano next time.  I would say this was probably just shy of Texas Chili Parlor XX.

This guy fucks.
jimmyjazz, might I suggest a teaspoon of instant espresso.  Gives it a nice extra dark kick.

Man, the reconstituted chilis (I like guajilo) is the way to go. And yes on toasting the cumin seeds then grinding.

No pics, but I’m finishing off last year’s venison, made a big batch yesterday for tonight. Mix of chili grind and a fine dice of chunks. Mix of all the typical seasonings. Had a bite, but not so much my gringa wife didn’t eat a big bowl.

I’m really getting this chili thing down. I don’t even measure stuff. Just add things till it tastes right.

I like guajillo too, but I mix with ancho to get a little more complexity.  Plus, the color is too red when it's all guajillo.

I’m willing to roll that way to try it. I get some smokiness because I brown my venison in bacon grease.

Because you know how awesome bacon grease is? It’s all of the awesome. It makes everything better. Hell, I might start keeping a jar in the bedroom

I don't mind the color, it's called Texas Red after all.  But I mix multiple reconstituted peppers to develop more depth of flavor.  I like guajillo, ancho, New Mexican red,  and chile de arbol.

And I always brown the cubed beef in either bacon grease, or chorizo grease.  Or like today, where I used both.

On 10/15/2018 at 10:26 PM, Brisketexan said:

Man, the reconstituted chilis (I like guajilo) is the way to go. And yes on toasting the cumin seeds then grinding.

No pics, but I’m finishing off last year’s venison, made a big batch yesterday for tonight. Mix of chili grind and a fine dice of chunks. Mix of all the typical seasonings. Had a bite, but not so much my gringa wife didn’t eat a big bowl.

I’m really getting this chili thing down. I don’t even measure stuff. Just add things till it tastes right.

Pretty much where I'm at now.

Get 2.5ish lbs of good meat, one large onion and that's about all the measuring I do.  

You fine gentlemen using reconstituted peppers... how much puree are y'all using?  Measure by the cup?  Go by the number of peppers to pounds of meat?  Switching to homemade powder was a gamechanger for me, and from what I'm reading reconstituted peppers are another gamechanger;  wanting to give it a go for my next pot.

Thanks, and I'll hang up and listen.

You fine gentlemen using reconstituted peppers... how much puree are y'all using?  Measure by the cup?  Go by the number of peppers to pounds of meat?  Switching to homemade powder was a gamechanger for me, and from what I'm reading reconstituted peppers are another gamechanger;  wanting to give it a go for my next pot.
Thanks, and I'll hang up and listen.

About 6 guajillos per lb of meat, and I also cheat and use some dried chili powder.

I just purée the peppers in enough of their cooking liquid to make them a good slurry. Really doesn’t matter, it cooks down as much as I want it to.
  • Like 1

^^^^^

Yup.  I'll use 5-6 peppers per lb of meat.  And then I blend them up with maybe a cup or two of their steeping liquid, whatever works to get it to the consistency I like.  I used to strain that through a tea strainer to remove any last bits of skin, but the Vitamix liquefies it to the point that there's no pulp left.  Which is fine, it all just cooks down to my final consistency and if I need to add more liquid later, I'll either use a little stock, a little beer, or just use the remaining steeping liquid.