Chili w/o beans

Dutch

So the reconstitution step is just soaking them in some warm water 

Well, yeah. Gotta always have some fried chilis on hand. I’m a Texan-messican after all. BUT...rinse them well before the soak. Rat piss and all that.

And I soak them in HOT water - I bring it to a boil, and soak them for about an hour.

14 minutes ago, huge said:

I need to make a batch this weekend.  Anyone ever use backstrap in chili?  Would that work?

just limit your cooking time/temp with the backstrap, it's fairly lean without a lot of connective tissue to break down so it'll be done in a hurry.

I'm at 8 peppers per lb of meat.  Equal blend of ancho, guajillo, and chipotle.  Made a batch yesterday on a quick trip home from the office at lunch, and it was glorious at dinner.  I have a photo somewhere . . . pretty standard stuff, but chili.

EDIT:  by "equal blend" I mean 8 of each pepper for a 3 lb chili.

Edited by jimmyjazz

• 2 weeks later...

I smoke all my peppers and use variations of seasoning to what I have seen on here. I like to mix and match peppers to try new things but smoking them is glorious and really gives it a smoky flavor. Also, I use a cup to cup and a half of Bourbon in lieu of any Chicken or Beef stock. I just use water and Bourbon. 

15 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What's a good simple recipe that's easy to make?

Cube 3 pounds of beef, cover in water and simmer until tender. Let it cool or refrigerate overnight and skim the fat off the top, and then add as much crushed garlic as you want, a pureed onion, and three packages of chili seasonings. Return to simmer and get it to the desired thickness, either by adding more liquid, or simmering with the lid off/adding a thickener (i.e., masa flour). At that point, adjust the final taste to your liking by adding any combination of salt, red pepper or cumin.

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Wick Fowlers is actually very good.

59 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Yep. Simple, quick, and as hot as you want. Pretty hard to mess up Wick Fowler’s. 

Yup.  Exactly why I posted it.  I wasn't being snarky or messing around. If you want super quick and easy chili, that's the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a neighborhood chili cook-off every year and I have always made the typical Texas red. This year decided to switch it up some. Added 2 lbs of chorizo and am serving it more Tex Mex. Got the idea from the AJ Foyt recipe in the Walsh chili book.

125605ab9f12569de4d29fd9c53f756d.jpg

Modded it with a lot more seasoning including some home ground chili powder. Also added some beef broth instead of water.

3c4888c9b85177f4648db7604b9ecae6.jpg
That’s axis burger meat.

0b50b76f137bd8dc531d2f949cbff205.jpg
17afc264886c3d18290cf1596aba55b7.jpgcf71f36d01c7b6c68a0a472357d794ef.jpg
Here is the 2lb chorizo, 1 lb axis burger, 2 white onion, 2 chopped japs, 2 chopped Serrano, 8 cloves garlic.
be839d8d9c514c41cbbc3541ed665620.jpg
Gonna simmer for a couple hours and see where we stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, utee94 said:

Looks good huge, I almost always brown some chorizo and then sear the cubed beef in the chorizo grease.  Bacon works too.  Last batch I used both bacon and chorizo, was pretty awesome I gotta say.

Thanks.  That's a great idea on the timing of the chorizo.

Turned out great, but I wanted even more chorizo profile.  Came out like a slightly tangy texas red.  Gonna keep experimenting.

Made a batch yesterday
6 pasilla, 4 ancho, 4 New Mexico, 8 Arbil chili’s toasted and then covered with water to reconstitute.
f27e59f38c5e0e7e0620b75f3984e342.jpg
Puréed
e828a59faae45a6aba08be821cf7bee8.jpg
Beef
d8debcd96f8b3e7d1fc847613a984146.jpg
After browning beef, sautée one large yellow onion and about 6 cloves of garlic in some bacon fat. Add beef back to pot, with one Lone Star, some coffee from that morning, and a few cups of water. Add chili slurry. Simmer for 6 hours adding water as needed.
c96484519e4c0f360e5d32b30753efa9.jpg
75e6ba651470532a069080867edfbb94.jpg

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Made a batch yesterday
6 pasilla, 4 ancho, 4 New Mexico, 8 Arbil chili’s toasted and then covered with water to reconstitute.
f27e59f38c5e0e7e0620b75f3984e342.jpg
Puréed
e828a59faae45a6aba08be821cf7bee8.jpg
Beef
d8debcd96f8b3e7d1fc847613a984146.jpg
After browning beef, sautée one large yellow onion and about 6 cloves of garlic in some bacon fat. Add beef back to pot, with one Lone Star, some coffee from that morning, and a few cups of water. Add chili slurry. Simmer for 6 hours adding water as needed.
c96484519e4c0f360e5d32b30753efa9.jpg
75e6ba651470532a069080867edfbb94.jpg

That's god damn beautiful.  Well done sir.  If you made it in an old cast iron La Creucet pot you've had forever....even better.  

On 11/21/2018 at 2:15 PM, BabaYaga said:

Listen god dammit.  It's not "Chili W/o Beans"

It's just Chili.  Like tea.  Tea is not naturally sweetened.  So all you "sweet, or unsweetened" tea people can rightly go F-off.  It's just TEA.  Just like it's just CHILI.  If you add beans, its stew.  

You must be new around here 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 11:20 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Probably my best ever:  an attempt to get close to the original San Antonio Chili Queens recipe.  I used less onion and more chile peppers & cumin, but the result was stellar.  I'd say the heat was "medium".  No tomatoes, no stock, mostly just beef & pork, chile peppers, spices and water.

Chili_Queen_Chili.jpg

2 lb    beef chuck (cubed ~ 1/2")
1 lb    pork loin (cubed ~ 1/2")
8        dried guajillo peppers
8        dried ancho peppers
4        dried chipotle peppers
3        cloves garlic 
1        medium sweet onion 
1 t     Mexican oregano
2 T    cumin seeds
2 t     paprika
1 T    salt 
8 c    water
3 T    extra virgin olive oil
3 T    masa harina

1.       stem & seed ancho, guajillo and chipotle peppers.  Soak in 4c hot water for 20 minutes.  Discard steeping water.

2.       Toast cumin seeds until fragrant; grind to medium powder

3.       Combine cumin with oregano, paprika and salt

4.       Heat 4 c water until warm and add to blender with drained peppers and half of spice blend

5.       Blend pepper/water/spice combination with 1 T olive oil until very smooth

6.       Dice onion medium fine; saute in 2 T olive oil until slightly translucent over medium heat in large Dutch oven

7.       Mince garlic and set aside

8.       Dice beef & pork to ~ ½” cubes, add to Dutch oven, season with remaining spice blend and saute until lightly browned

9.       Add garlic to Dutch oven for ~ 30 seconds, do not burn

10.    Immediately add pepper/water/spice puree to Dutch oven and reduce to low

11.    Simmer for 2-3 hours, adding water as necessary.  Add masa harina before serving to tighten.

Making this recipe now. It's my first time using dried peppers and freshly ground cumin. Smells fantastic already.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:20 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Probably my best ever:  an attempt to get close to the original San Antonio Chili Queens recipe.  I used less onion and more chile peppers & cumin, but the result was stellar.  I'd say the heat was "medium".  No tomatoes, no stock, mostly just beef & pork, chile peppers, spices and water.

Chili_Queen_Chili.jpg

2 lb    beef chuck (cubed ~ 1/2")
1 lb    pork loin (cubed ~ 1/2")
8        dried guajillo peppers
8        dried ancho peppers
4        dried chipotle peppers
3        cloves garlic 
1        medium sweet onion 
1 t     Mexican oregano
2 T    cumin seeds
2 t     paprika
1 T    salt 
8 c    water
3 T    extra virgin olive oil
3 T    masa harina

1.       stem & seed ancho, guajillo and chipotle peppers.  Soak in 4c hot water for 20 minutes.  Discard steeping water.

2.       Toast cumin seeds until fragrant; grind to medium powder

3.       Combine cumin with oregano, paprika and salt

4.       Heat 4 c water until warm and add to blender with drained peppers and half of spice blend

5.       Blend pepper/water/spice combination with 1 T olive oil until very smooth

6.       Dice onion medium fine; saute in 2 T olive oil until slightly translucent over medium heat in large Dutch oven

7.       Mince garlic and set aside

8.       Dice beef & pork to ~ ½” cubes, add to Dutch oven, season with remaining spice blend and saute until lightly browned

9.       Add garlic to Dutch oven for ~ 30 seconds, do not burn

10.    Immediately add pepper/water/spice puree to Dutch oven and reduce to low

11.    Simmer for 2-3 hours, adding water as necessary.  Add masa harina before serving to tighten.

On the stove right now. Only change was I added a can of diced San marzanos because I don't know why. Just did. And floated a serrano.  

Did the same basic recipe, except used chorizo instead of ground pork, added some tomato paste, cilantro, and jalapeño to the pepper slurry, some beer and very little beef stock just for simmering, and couldn’t find dried chipotle so used additional guajillo and anchos. Was great!

fd7dc73f0030597b230e6e9385a162fe.jpg

5b0ca76a1381878493553a6fcc27a5c6.jpg

774c6e68422cba73ac0b5761edae2a8c.jpg

b92d7f887a04a283cab4882d2460f67a.jpg

A few mods for next time. Will probably use chopped jalapeños with the onions, and will probably use fresh or canned tomatoes just ‘cause. Also I used the chorizo my mom used to use for breakfast tacos but it was too loose and greasy. Had to skim a few cups of grease off the top. I’ll probably use just ground pork next time or a tighter chorizo from casings.

• Like 2

Got a pot of greatness going here. Forgot to take pics during prep. Using a combo of chili meat and double sliced stew meat (4 lbs total), 1 yellow onion, 2 cans Red Gold diced tomatoes with Hatch chiles, 2 cans El Pato hot tomato sauce, 1 can Hatch hot green chilies, about a pint of V/8, 1 1/2 cans of Coors original and 2 packs of Williams TexMex chilli blend.

Browned and seasoned the meat, added everything else and let simmer. I did add something new as an experiment, a big dollip of Dona Maria mole concentrate. Been stirring every 20 min and so far things look very good.

Will report back in an hour or so.3f4c7a2a9396b6e6f155298571647bd0.jpg