Chili w/o beans

Dutch

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have a good green chili recipe?  I was put in charge of our company's cook team (mostly builder association bbq events), but they also have chili cookoffs coming up.  Categories include Best Red Chili, Best Green Chili, Best "Anything Goes" Chili, Best Red Salsa, Best Green Salsa, and best Chuck Wagon desert.

1 hour ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Anyone have a good green chili recipe?  

Doesn't get any easier than this if you have a pressure cooker. I prefer to trim aggressively and give the pork steaks a good sear in a separate pan, then cut into large cubes. I also add a smoked hack hock. The fish sauce is entirely unnecessary. Without the pressure cooker, I use the same ingredients, but sauté the veggies like you would building a chili. While they cook down I boil the ham hock in a separate pot of water to make a couple cups of concentrated stock (a step you can do days in advance). Simmer everything over low heat or in the oven until the pork is tender, then blend as in the recipe.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

35 minutes ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

Doesn't get any easier than this if you have a pressure cooker. I prefer to trim aggressively and give the pork steaks a good sear in a separate pan, then cut into large cubes. I also add a smoked hack hock. The fish sauce is entirely unnecessary. Without the pressure cooker, I use the same ingredients, but sauté the veggies like you would building a chili. While they cook down I boil the ham hock in a separate pot of water to make a couple cups of concentrated stock (a step you can do days in advance). Simmer everything over low heat or in the oven until the pork is tender, then blend as in the recipe.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

I think we're working off propane burners.  I'll have a 12V deep cell battery and power inverter for a food processor, but that's about it.  I guess I could look for a manual pressure cooker.

6 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

I think we're working off propane burners.  I'll have a 12V deep cell battery and power inverter for a food processor, but that's about it.  I guess I could look for a manual pressure cooker.

Well, yeah.  I mean, that technology has only been around for about 350 years, but I'm guessing you might still find a stovetop version around somewhere.... :)

Just now, utee94 said:

Well, yeah.  I mean, that technology has only been around for about 350 years, but I'm guessing you might still find a stovetop version around somewhere.... :)

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out what we typically use for the burners for the chili events.  I hope it's not the same propane ones we use for crawfish boils.  I don't think I could regulate the flame low enough to not overheat a pressure cooker.  If we had power, I could just bring my own Instant Pot.  I should have clarified.

I was wrong.  The SA event is much simpler than the Houston event.  Only CASI-rules chili; no salsas, no chuck wagon dessert.  This makes my life a lot easier.  I doubt I'll even need the food processor.  Shitty thing is there's only about 5 hours from start of cooking to turn in.  Gonna be a bitch to develop some complex flavors in that time.  Sounds like a job for fish sauce and MSG.

6eef2007606bd5f2176c730f4081bacc.jpg

Only pic I got.
Weather was perfect for chili.

I did an Ancho and New Mexico slurry and the skin didn’t disintegrate enough. Otherwise it was excellent.

2 pounds stew meat
1 pound chorizo
1 pound venison burger meat

Onion/garlic/jalapeño

Homemade beef broth
1 can diced tomato and 1 can sauce
1 Mexican beer

Several spice dumps and 3 Serrano floaters

• Like 3

14 hours ago, huge said:

6eef2007606bd5f2176c730f4081bacc.jpg

Only pic I got.
Weather was perfect for chili.

I did an Ancho and New Mexico slurry and the skin didn’t disintegrate enough. Otherwise it was excellent.

2 pounds stew meat
1 pound chorizo
1 pound venison burger meat

Onion/garlic/jalapeño

Homemade beef broth
1 can diced tomato and 1 can sauce
1 Mexican beer

Several spice dumps and 3 Serrano floaters

I used to strain through a tea strainer after blending.  Then my wife got a Vitamix and I've never had to strain since.  They're not cheap, but they're worth every penny IMO.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, utee94 said:

I used to strain through a tea strainer after blending.  Then my wife got a Vitamix and I've never had to strain since.  They're not cheap, but they're worth every penny IMO.

Yeah...I have a pretty good blendtec but was at my mom's house over Christmas and used her Vitamix... Damn. That is the shit. When my blendtec ever shits the bed that's where I'm headed. I made chili and it turned those pods into velvet. 

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Made one batch using your recipe in December, and it turned out great. How much oregano would you recommend using?

Well, I'd be careful.  Go too far and you have a pot of spicy marinara or maybe arrabiata with meat.  (Not the same oregano, but still.)

Add 50% more and see how it tastes?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:15 AM, utee94 said:

I noticed a similar issue with mt batch on Saturday. The Guajillos skins didn't break down enough. It still taste great, but I'd like to remedy it next time. Think I'll strain until I eventually breakdown and buy a Vitamix. 

I'll add to the Vitamix dogpile. We got one with wedding gift cards from Crate and Barrel. The thing is a goddamn beast. We've even used to to make fresh salsa, and the engine/blades run fast enough that it actually will heat up/cook the salsa in the blender. Cooks soup that way as well. Thing is awesome.

29 minutes ago, huge said:

$350-$450 for a blender?

hmmmm

Well, if you want your blender to last, then yes, it will cost you.  Look how many commercial operations use VitaMix or similar.

Hell, if you're in touch with your feminine side and often feel the need for a frozen marg, good luck finding a less expensive blender that will make those night in and night out without blinking.  VitaMix is the Casey Hampton of blenders.

God help me, a friend is serving venison chili at poker night this week. He told me his recipe today. Not only is it not chili, it's not even stew. Since one of the group is vegetarian, he's not adding the venison until after it's made. It's tomato soup. With beans.

Calling it tomato soup might be kind. There is some tomato paste in it. Other than that it's Spicy V8, picante sauce, canned chili beans, chili powder, and paprika. When it's hot he melts in some grated Parmesan cheese. No knife will ever touch a vegetable in its preparation. He thinks his chili is hot. 

He's a great guy and a good friend. I'm going to have to eat his chili and tell him it's good. If I can get a photo without him thinking either that I'm mocking it or endorsing it, I'll share it here. No promises. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

I've gone from doing all stew meat to half and half with the chili meat.  I think it makes a better texture.

half grind half cubed is how i make a regular batch (the cubed is often smoked brisket).  special batches are 1/3 grind 1/3 cubed 1/3 something on a bone, either ox tails or ribs. 

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

God help me, a friend is serving venison chili at poker night this week. He told me his recipe today. Not only is it not chili, it's not even stew. Since one of the group is vegetarian, he's not adding the venison until after it's made. It's tomato soup. With beans.

Calling it tomato soup might be kind. There is some tomato paste in it. Other than that it's Spicy V8, picante sauce, canned chili beans, chili powder, and paprika. When it's hot he melts in some grated Parmesan cheese. No knife will ever touch a vegetable in its preparation. He thinks his chili is hot. 

He's a great guy and a good friend. I'm going to have to eat his chili and tell him it's good. If I can get a photo without him thinking either that I'm mocking it or endorsing it, I'll share it here. No promises. 

get the fuck out of ohio

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you're lying to his face instead of correcting the problem, then YOU are the problem, sir. 

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you're lying to his face instead of correcting the problem, then YOU are the problem, sir. 

you can't fix ohio.  i make chili for OSU-Mich and people will come by and tell me how spicy it is before i've put anything but anchos in it. 

First batch of test chili, made with a blend of chilis grown/dried by my friend and ground by me today, including scorpion, Klinger’s Florida grove (aka bird) and ghost peppers.  I skipped the miso as all I could find was miso broth, but I might buy some online before the competition.  Upped the umami with some ground shiitake mushrooms and some MSG.

imgur

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

Favorite way to thicken? I used a couple tablespoons of ground shiitake mushrooms, which helped, but after some simmering, I’m getting a pretty good grease pool on top. Thinking about making a small batch of roux with some oil/flour and some more chili powder. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite way to thicken? I used a couple tablespoons of ground shiitake mushrooms, which helped, but after some simmering, I’m getting a pretty good grease pool on top. Thinking about making a small batch of roux with some oil/flour and some more chili powder. Thoughts?

Masa you heathen.

42 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

roux is just going to add to the grease on the top.  the oil separates from the flour pretty easily. 

the real secret is to not add a bunch of liquid to begin with.

and turn off your tapatalk signature

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

Looked worse than it really was; no thickener necessary. A good stir and it looked like a luscious gravy. I’m letting it simmer with the lid off to thicken a bit more while the rice cooks.

1e2073ae3ce0c6cb221ab9f5cb8a43ae.jpg

For the cook off, I’m going to be making a very large batch in a huge stainless steel pot. I’m thinking I’m going to cut back on the beef broth (by half) and just mix in some Better Than Bouillon beef concentrate to keep the flavor but limit the time needed to thicken. I can always add liquid if needed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Looked worse than it really was; no thickener necessary. A good stir and it looked like a luscious gravy. I’m letting it simmer with the lid off to thicken a bit more while the rice cooks.

1e2073ae3ce0c6cb221ab9f5cb8a43ae.jpg

For the cook off, I’m going to be making a very large batch in a huge stainless steel pot. I’m thinking I’m going to cut back on the beef broth (by half) and just mix in some Better Than Bouillon beef concentrate to keep the flavor but limit the time needed to thicken. I can always add liquid if needed.

uh, that doesn't look bad at all. feel free to ship some my way...