Chili w/o beans

Dutch

48 minutes ago, utee94 said:

There are 640 fluid ounces in five gallons, so to get your 5 gallons of chili, just go out and buy 6 of these big boys, throw 'em in a pot and warm it up, and call it a day.

WOLF BRAND Chili No Beans, Chili Without Beans, 106 oz.

One of my family's favorite stories to retell at gatherings is how my aunt bit into a piece of hide (with hair) while eating Wolf chili. She sent it to them and they sent her back a postcard with a generic apology and two cases of wolf brand chili.

She was a broke college student at the time so she still ate the chili.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wife & I have a late-breaking shot at dinner out of the house tonight.  Since she's spent a good part of the afternoon at Enchiladas Y Mas, I get to pick.  I thought "how about Texas Chili Parlor"?  

I figured I'd show her the menu options (chili, enchiladas, burgers, etc.).  Good luck finding a legit website for that place.  I mean, I know it's a dump, I've been there a ton, but damn, people, how hard is it to have a basic website, and not on a ".club" domain?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:
Wait, you're cooking 2 batches, one 6# and one 12#?  Are you hosting the Longhorn football team?

Yep. Neighborhood holiday party. Signed up to bring 5 gallons of chili.

chili is an unusual menu choice for the neighborhood swingers Christmas party

IMG_7566.gif

On 12/16/2023 at 5:51 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Wife & I have a late-breaking shot at dinner out of the house tonight.  Since she's spent a good part of the afternoon at Enchiladas Y Mas, I get to pick.  I thought "how about Texas Chili Parlor"?  

I figured I'd show her the menu options (chili, enchiladas, burgers, etc.).  Good luck finding a legit website for that place.  I mean, I know it's a dump, I've been there a ton, but damn, people, how hard is it to have a basic website, and not on a ".club" domain?

I bet she spent a good part of Sunday on the shitter after the day she had...

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Sure a lot of trouble to serve to a bunch of neighbors. Did any complain and say they prefer Wendy’s or ask for beans?

No complaints.  There where several other chili adjacent mixtures with beans and other stuff.  One vegan, two vegetarian, one vegetarian with India spices, one white chicken chili, one turkey chili, and a couple really spicy mixtures with all kinds of stuff in there.  It was a fun evening.

Browning 18# of chuck in the oven was the way to go.  Three batches in large foil pans took about 35-40 minutes each.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Browning 18# of chuck in the oven was the way to go.  Three batches in large foil pans took about 35-40 minutes each.

I saw a guy do that on one of the cooking shows . . . probably DD&D.  It looked remarkably effective.  Did you have to put in a lot of muscle to get it to break down?

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

No complaints.  There where several other chili adjacent mixtures with beans and other stuff.  One vegan, two vegetarian, one vegetarian with India spices, one white chicken chili, one turkey chili, and a couple really spicy mixtures with all kinds of stuff in there.  It was a fun evening.

Big pans on double burners 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw a guy do that on one of the cooking shows . . . probably DD&D.  It looked remarkably effective.  Did you have to put in a lot of muscle to get it to break down?

I just threw the course ground chuck in right out of the package.  20 minutes covered in foil.  Break the meat up a little (not a euphemism).  10 minutes uncovered, break the meat a little.  10 more minutes, then into the pots.  Breaking it up along the way kept it from being a solid block of cooked meat.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I just threw the course ground chuck in right out of the package.  20 minutes covered in foil.  Break the meat up a little (not a euphemism).  10 minutes uncovered, break the meat a little.  10 more minutes, then into the pots.  Breaking it up along the way kept it from being a solid block of cooked meat.  

Coarse ground probably helped, too.

What is in a vegetarian “chili” that’s not in a vegan “chili”?

Turkey chili is usually fill of beaks and goozlers. Not a fan.

Did you win?
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

What is in a vegetarian “chili” that’s not in a vegan “chili”?

Turkey chili is usually fill of beaks and goozlers. Not a fan.

Did you win?

I think a proper vegan chili must include tears.

They call that Tenorman chili in Colorado.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952eoxxniqey2dy05rxvf

6 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

But not to piss anyone off, this is the only place I’ve seen people put real beef in chili my entire life.

?????

Heathen.

Now I am no Chili-Czar like many on this thread. But, when I make my chili, I put the beef, or pork, or venison on the grill to brown it up.  I use charcoal and usually hickory. This adds just a bit of smokiness to the chili.

Ground beef w/potatoes, red beans and Fritos is the only way to make chili, most of y’all are fucking gross. 

Jalapeños, cheese, corn bread and sour cream are nice flairs.

But not to piss anyone off, this is the only place I’ve seen people put real beef in chili my entire life.

james cameron aliens GIF

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 2:17 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Big Ass Pot of Chili on and simmering. 12# course ground chuck, 3 onions, 12 cloves garlic, 12T san antonio chili powder, 8T cumin, crushed tomatoes, beef broth, and cayenne pepper.

4f39895381608f92fba44019a0a12455.jpg206c5be16be8fa68807c09174a2474c5.jpg

How many servings did you get out of each on those batches as an estimate? Looks like a big pot of chili is in my future for a family (~25 heads) get together over the holidays. Thinking the 12# batch is about right with leftovers for the freezer?

Edited by Anastasis

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna make a big batch of red using brisket point left over from Christmas Eve.  I had to buy some chile de arbol for my wife's charro bean recipe, so I want to use them in the chili.  I've never used them, though.  How hot are we talking?  How many per pound of beef?  I usually just do ancho, guajillo and either chipotle or some cayenne pepper.  Think "XX" hot -- not blow your skull out, but not mild, either.

• 2 months later...

I need guidance on serving chili (or any other soups, stews, etc in cold weather) the next day in a crock pot/slow cooker. I figure this is the better place to ask than that other thread. I’ve done some googling but I don’t feel confident in any of that advice.

I’m thinking of two scenarios. One where there are a few hours between setup and serving. Can the chili go in cold and will the crock pot heat it to serving temp in a few hours? The second is a setting where the chili will need to be hot and ready to serve within 2 hrs at most. I assume it needs to be heated to serving temp first then left on low heat until serving time. I have no experience in any of this and don’t know what I don’t know. I have only assumptions.

I’m thinking ahead to November so I have lots of time for trial and error. I don’t even own a slow cooker yet and have to consider the purchase of that hardware.

What’s your process?