Chili w/o beans

Dutch

the brisket is already cooked, and much further cooking is likely going to turn it to mush

brown and season your ground beef.  remove, then add in onion and fresh peppers and start cooking down.  add garlic and chili powder.  deglaze with shiner.  add meat, add tomatoes and start simmering.  once you've reduced the liquid down so that it's not runny add cubed brisket, give it a stir, and take it off the heat.*  let cool on the burner for a bit, then overnight in the fridge. next day just warm  up the portions you want to eat.  serve with shredded cheese, chopped onion, japs, hot sauce, and crackers or tortillas.  if your family likes beans warm some up to add to their own yankee bowls (pintos, as those are at least a tex mex bean).

*or, bring back up to temp such that the brisket is warmed through if you want to eat it now

Edited by elfenix

Thanks for the bump.
[mention=203]jimmyjazz[/mention]

I smoked a brisket and want to use some of the lean for chili. Thing is I’ve never cooked chili before and don’t know how. I tried googling but got a bunch of recipes that seemed like bull shit. I’m hoping someone here more experienced than me can help me make something decent out of what I have. What I have:

Brisket
Mixed ground chuck/sirloin
Poblano peppers
Hatch peppers
San Marzino can tomato’s
Telling us chili seasoning
White onion
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Kidney/pinto beans
Shiner
Chicken stock

How do I salvage these and make something decent??

You can start by getting rid of that apostrophe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

the brisket is already cooked, and much further cooking is likely going to turn it to mush

brown and season your ground beef.  remove, then add in onion and fresh peppers and start cooking down.  add garlic and chili powder.  deglaze with shiner.  add meat, add tomatoes and start simmering.  once you've reduced the liquid down so that it's not runny add cubed brisket, give it a stir, and take it off the heat.*  let cool on the burner for a bit, then overnight in the fridge. next day just warm  up the portions you want to eat.  serve with shredded cheese, chopped onion, japs, hot sauce, and crackers or tortillas.  if your family likes beans warm some up to add to their own yankee bowls (pintos, as those are at least a tex mex bean).

That seems dead on to me.  I would only say that I've done 2-3 hour cooks with fully smoked brisket and it didn't turn to mush, but there's probably no good reason to risk it.  Get it in there the last 30 minutes or so and that should be plenty.

You can start by getting rid of that apostrophe

DYAC.

*or, bring back up to temp such that the brisket is warmed through if you want to eat it now

That seems dead on to me.  I would only say that I've done 2-3 hour cooks with fully smoked brisket and it didn't turn to mush, but there's probably no good reason to risk it.  Get it in there the last 30 minutes or so and that should be plenty.

These are great and sorry for the stupid questions, but the brisket and ground meat are refrigerated, do I need to have it warmed if I’m not gonna simmer it for a couple of hours? Or just throw it in there cold and simmer long enough to get warm throughout ?

Do I need tomato paste also, or will canned tomato be sufficient?

No chicken stock? I think I’ve heard I should add a cup of chicken stick and a bottle of beer then simmer. But that isn’t deglazing, if you mean deglazing in the Julia Childs sense.

Based on these I’ll cook up the onions and peppers then pour in one beer and simmer down until there isn’t much volume left, then throw in meat/tomatoes . That sounds right?

"Real" Texas chili (derived from the San Antonio Chili Queens) doesn't include tomatoes, but plenty of modern Texas red recipes do.  It's not dogma like "no beans".  That said, I doubt you'll need tomato paste.  You want to taste peppers, onion, garlic and cumin more than the other stuff.

A little chicken stock won't hurt.

Note that he suggested you brown the meat before simmering, so doing so cold isn't gonna hurt.  Dicing the smoked brisket will be easier if it's chilled, so I'd do it right out of the refrigerator and just make sure it gets fully heated in the pot.

I can't find anything on "Telling Us chili seasoning". Is that like a pre-made powder spice mix? If so I would make sure the ratios correspond with however much meat you have. Since those pre-made spice packages tend to be pretty mild to begin with, I wouldn't cook more than what the spice package calls for. If it's not a pre-made spice mix then minimally you're going to need chili powder and cumin. Most spice mixes also contain paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. I use a bit of each in my mix, but they're not absolutely essential. Personally I'd omit your hatch and poblano peppers, as I think green peppers in red chili is kinda weird. But that's my preference. They wouldn't ruin it or anything. 

Re: liquid, you can use beer, chicken stock, beef stock, whatever. I typically cook about 4lbs of meat - 2lbs diced chuck roast and 2lbs course ground chuck. I'll pour in a can of darker mexican beer and some beef stock (if i have it) or chicken stock. Then i just add water as it simmers if it gets too thick. 

Keep it simple. Brown ground beef. Remove. Brown onion, add garlic at end until fragrant. Add spices. Cook for a minute or so. deglaze with beer or stock. Add ground beef back to pot. Add tomatoes. Add remainder of liquid. Simmer for an hour and a half. Add brisket. Simmer for 30 mins. Eat or freeze or do whatever. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 2

I can't find anything on "Telling Us chili seasoning". Is that like a pre-made powder spice mix? If so I would make sure the ratios correspond with however much meat you have. Since those pre-made spice packages tend to be pretty mild to begin with, I wouldn't cook more than what the spice package calls for. If it's not a pre-made spice mix then minimally you're going to need chili powder and cumin. Most spice mixes also contain paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. I use a bit of each in my mix, but they're not absolutely essential. Personally I'd omit your hatch and poblano peppers, as I think green peppers in red chili is kinda weird. But that's my preference. They wouldn't ruin it or anything. 

Re: liquid, you can use beer, chicken stock, beef stock, whatever. I typically cook about 4lbs of meat - 2lbs diced chuck roast and 2lbs course ground chuck. I'll pour in a can of darker mexican beer and some beef stock (if i have it) or chicken stock. Then i just add water as it simmers if it gets too thick. 

Keep it simple. Brown ground beef. Remove. Brown onion, add garlic at end until fragrant. Add spices. Cook for a minute or so. deglaze with beer or stock. Add ground beef back to pot. Add tomatoes. Add remainder of liquid. Simmer for an hour and a half. Add brisket. Simmer for 30 mins. Eat or freeze or do whatever. 

Must have been a typo, it was some terlinga prepackaged seasoning that my wife picked up from heb. I figured I could spice it up with the peppers.

Worst case scenario though, I told her I was slammed at work and so she asked her dad to cook it for me. He used all my brisket, cooked 3 times too much. No peppers and it’s bland. Runny too. So I didn’t get a chance to make it . I’ll have to cook another brisket and try again.

Not that I have anything against smoking brisket, but it's really unnecessary if you're trying to make chili.  I'd start with a basic mix of ground or diced beef (chuck, sirloin, and even brisket if you know a butcher who will grind it for you -- HEB will), and maybe some ground pork.  Screw that up a few times before going all in with the good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, futureman said:

so I accidentally left a pot of chili out overnight.  it was still hot in the pot around 10pm.  but after that it was off heat.  saw it on the counter this morning at 9am and put it in the fridge.  if I heat it to boiling for 10 minutes or so will I still die after consuming?

I'm assuming you're joking... but yeah, you'll be fine. Don't be a pussy. 

• Like 1

On September 27, 2019 at 10:47 AM, futureman said:

so I accidentally left a pot of chili out overnight.  it was still hot in the pot around 10pm.  but after that it was off heat.  saw it on the counter this morning at 9am and put it in the fridge.  if I heat it to boiling for 10 minutes or so will I still die after consuming?

You could've eaten it straight out of the pot in the morning and been fine. 

On 9/27/2019 at 9:47 AM, futureman said:

better drop a block of velveta in it, just to be safe 

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's amazing our ancestors managed to survive for hundreds of thousands of years before the advent of refrigeration. 

Left out overnight? And you're frightened of that? Your college experience was very different from mine. 

I don’t know, man.  google said after two hours at room temp that chili would kill me.  obviously I trust surly more than google and I ate that chili, and here I am telling you about it, in perfect health. 

Spices have antimicrobial properties, and chili contains quite a few them. I wouldn't leave a pot of chili out for a week, but overnight is fine.

"Garlic, onion, allspice and oregano, for example, were found to be the best all-around bacteria killers (they kill everything), followed by thyme, cinnamon, tarragon and cumin (any of which kill up to 80 percent of bacteria). Capsicums, including chilies and other hot peppers, are in the middle of the antimicrobial pack (killing or inhibiting up to 75 percent of bacteria), while pepper of the white or black variety inhibits 25 percent of bacteria, as do ginger, anise seed, celery seed and the juices of lemons and limes."

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/1998/03/food-bacteria-spice-survey-shows-why-some-cultures-it-hot

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

Since it's gonna be cold this weekend, I'm gonna make a big pot that will hopefully be done at halftime on Saturday. I've got a plant of prik chee fah chilis from thailand in my garden that put out hundreds of peppers. The powder I make from the peppers is awesome. Spicy but not overpowering, sweet, super fragrant. I've used it for curries. Gonna see how it works in a pot of chili. I'm sure someone will say that it's not officially chili because I'm not using strictly ancho, pasilla, guajillo, etc.

14 minutes ago, thestud said:

Overcooked the Guajillo chili’s to the point that they were smoking when they came out of the oven. None left to redo it so I rolled with it. Fuckin best decision I’ve made this week.

Some of the greatest achievements in mankind have come from an initial faux pas. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deft said:

dfe7a7fabf4e855d769e1d5349a6ff73.jpg

Learn me a good recipe or technique for tomorrow’s pot o chili

3 guajillos

2 anchos

1 japone (maybe 2 if you like it hot?  I don't use them)

Remove stems & seeds, and then rehydrate peppers for 15-20 minutes in hot water, remove to blender, and blend with just enough water to make a liquid slurry.

Saute 2 pounds of meat -- all ground beef or maybe half & half beef or pork -- along with a diced onion and a few cloves of garlic, minced.  Lightly brown the meat, don't go too far, it won't break up even with a long simmer if it gets too dried out while browning.

Add the pepper slurry, along with maybe 1 tablespoon each of ground cumin and paprika along with 2 tsp of salt and a tsp of oregano, and enough water or broth (chicken or beef) to look "right".  Simmer and keep adding water/broth over the next couple of hours if it starts to look dry.  Eat.

You could include some tomatoes or tomato sauce if you feel like it's necessary, but it's not required.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

i posted this elsewhere:

get some beef or venison. get a mix of beef - chili grind if you can find it, along with some stuff that can be cubed up (chuck/round roasts) and some stuff with bones, like short rib or oxtails. if you want to add some pork to that, especially in the form of mexican breakfast chorizo, do so.

get some dried chiles. you want fresh ones. if your yankee grocery store doesn't have fresh ones, go to a mexican market in town. get a variety. you probably want something like 1/4 lb of dried chiles per pound of meat. get them home, remove the stems/seeds, toast them in a skillet until fragrant, then pour hot water over them and let them steep. once tender, pull the chiles out of the water and blend them up, adding water as necessary. that's your chile base.

cube up the bigger cuts of beef/venison, then brown it all off in some fat. you can use the chorizo fat for this, bacon fat, tallow, suet, or a neutral flavor vegetable oil.

once it's all browned, toss in some onion (1 medium onion per lb of meat) and any fresh peppers you have, and deglaze the pot with some beef stock or beer. add in other aromatics and spices like garlic, mexican oregano, and some comino (freshly toasted and ground if you can). once that's fragrant, add your chile base and meat back to the pot. if you like tomatoes or tomato paste add it at this time.

add some beef stock or beer, and gently simmer for a couple-few hours. you can overcook stew meat so try a chunk every half hour starting about the 3 hour mark. venison is going to do the same but i dunno when.

don't forget to salt/pepper throughout. also, if you like powdered chile you can do multiple dumps at various times during the cook process. don't forget to fish out the bones if you got some.

• Like 3

40 degrees and wind chillin things down this morning.

I have Fritos, Lone Star,  football games, wife's outta town; and starting on a big pot of Texas Red.

It's me and the dogs, slicin, dicin, simmerin and slow cooking that magic while sippin on a cold brew and listening some old school music this morning.

Seeing that i went to both Quitaque and Hart Camp this week, it's Bob Wills and some Waylon Jennings to get it started.  Might as well throw in some easy Don Williams tunes for Floydada too.

Wreck the Rapists!  Go Astros too!!!  What a great Saturday without beans!!!

• Like 1