Chili w/o beans

Dutch

We all share recipes, it’s a fellowship. I talked to a friend in Terlingua, he has a campground in Fredericksburg. Gave him a good recipe, he sells out of chili every day.
We shroomed under the stars in the desert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh shit, saw the typo. I think that’s cumin.

Well your recipe from page 1 is fantastic.  Wife wanted some chile for NYE so I poked around and took the plunge.  Followed directions very closely with only minor modifications.  And I could not find any "$#@&in", but it turned out great anyway.
IMG_5728.jpg.4503b0eeda2c91369cd04d3e57c06a96.jpg

3 adults and 2 kids polished this off in 30 minutes.  A request was made for Batch #2 which was summarily rejected as I was having too much fun being the food hero, getting drunk and watching the Longhorns kick the shit out of Utah.  Nice way to end the year, thanks for that.

Quote fail.

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm adding about a pound and a half of slightly under cooked, smoked brisket flat to my chili today.  Planning on adding it right after browning ground beef.  Any contrary thoughts as to when to add the brisket? 

Last time I made chili with brisket I added large diced point towards the end of the cook, maybe 30-45m left. But it was well cooked. Added a nice Smokey flavor. Much longer than that and I think it would have totally lost all structure. Which wouldn’t necessarily be bad, I just wanted some chunks of brisket in there. My best chili to date. 

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm adding about a pound and a half of slightly under cooked, smoked brisket flat to my chili today.  Planning on adding it right after browning ground beef.  Any contrary thoughts as to when to add the brisket? 

I usually throw it in at the beginning with the other meats, but then I’m only using the flat in chili. I’d imagine the point would cook to mush/disintegrate sooner than flat muscle. 

Smoked brisket definitely takes a chili up to 15; adds wonderful smoky richness. Sometimes I’ll throw an extra brisket on when the WSM’s fired up just to have plenty ready come chili season. 

• Like 1

Y'all need to look into smoked sea salt.  It's available with absolutely no added ingredients -- Pacific sea salt smoked over hickory or alder is common.  Adds a nice touch to some dishes, and works really well in chili.  You're gonna salt your beef anyway, might as well use salt that's been smoked.

I wouldn't put it in chicken soup, but for heavy beef dishes it's absolutely delicious.

• Like 2

Did the JJ version of the old San Antonio Chili recipe. I didn't have chipotle peppers so I used about 8 chile de arbols in their place. They added a nice spice as I prefer a spicy stew over mild. The smoky cumin flavor is very nicely pronounced. Definitely a distinctive flavor. It needed a fair amount of salt in my opinion over the 1T recommended,  so I used Knorr Suiza Mexican chicken stock powder which I like to use in place of salt for a richer flavor. Delicious!

Chili.jpg

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Sounds great.  8 arbol peppers also sounds hot as hell.

I usually salt protein at almost 1 tsp per lb, so if my recipe only called for that much then it was probably my mistake not to also point out the salt requirements of the liquid itself.  I'll go back and look.  I guess that would also depend on whether one used water or stock, but if my recipe called for water and no additional salt to compensate, then I'm not surprised it was a bit light on flavor.  I don't always do a good job transcribing my recipes.

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sounds great.  8 arbol peppers also sounds hot as hell.

I usually salt protein at almost 1 tsp per lb, so if my recipe only called for that much then it was probably my mistake not to also point out the salt requirements of the liquid itself.  I'll go back and look.  I guess that would also depend on whether one used water or stock, but if my recipe called for water and no additional salt to compensate, then I'm not surprised it was a bit light on flavor.  I don't always do a good job transcribing my recipes.

Plus salt level is a very subjective taste thing so I never worry about recipes with low salt quantities. It's better to need to add it than to have a super salty dish. 

Edited by Zombie

I’m probably the least talented cook posting in this thread. But to expand on the use of dry peppers rather than powder. I can now say with full confidence that using chili’s improves my effort 5 fold. 

It is a little of a pain in the ass, especially the recommendation of roasting the peppers before soaking them. But their influence on the final product is far more intense than using a powder. Both color and fragrance is improved. And it had a bigger influence on the meat ( I used a blend of ground beef and deer sausage). Stuff is magical, I actually felt like a cook. 

Thanks again guys. 

On 1/18/2020 at 5:16 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

I’m probably the least talented cook posting in this thread. But to expand on the use of dry peppers rather than powder. I can now say with full confidence that using chili’s improves my effort 5 fold. 

It is a little of a pain in the ass, especially the recommendation of roasting the peppers before soaking them. But their influence on the final product is far more intense than using a powder. Both color and fragrance is improved. And it had a bigger influence on the meat ( I used a blend of ground beef and deer sausage). Stuff is magical, I actually felt like a cook. 

Thanks again guys. 

Glad you liked it, I use whole dried peppers exclusively.

Real quick, just want to check that you're TOASTING the dried peppers, not ROASTING them, yes?  Applying too much heat at that stage can actually make them turn bitter.  But just a light toast brings out the oils and they end up sort of fruity and delicious.

On 1/10/2020 at 7:47 PM, Snow Dog said:

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wisconsin "chili" is a thing, and it looks disgusting:

View image on Twitter

We call that goulash, we don’t use cheese curds though. I’d eat that!

Edited by RMac5

On 1/10/2020 at 7:00 PM, Snow Dog said:

I was a Navy brat, they were my favorite plane as a kid. Proof that a brick could fly if you put enough thrust on it.

Absolutely. As the saying goes, "F4s were a triumph of thrust over aerodynamics."

I liked them, too, but the older I get, the more I wonder if they were overdeveloped, overengineered boondoggles.

Not sure how Snow Dog got roped in this, sorry SD.

No worries, my prefs are sent to blast me alerts when there are chili threads. It’s part of my Sh•••yVIP membership.

Tolbert Men’s State coming up, Maxdale, TX

Maxdale Chili Park is awesome, it’s run by old Army Master sergeants. There’s a nice fireplace in the hall. Best I’ve done there was 8th place.

I’m a Navy Brat, so I must behave when I’m there.

Lots of cool memorabilia in the house, those

Dudes like chili.

@Snow Dog
Last year I did 30 lbs of chili grind beef.  Was thinking maybe I should add some bigger chunks this time around for a different texture.  What's the consensus, just get a chuck roast or two and piece it out or should I be thinking of a different cut of meat?  Also, after making jambalaya, I liked the technique of adding veggies in multiple stages to get a variety of flavors from the same ingredients.  Onions are one of the first things I cook (in bacon fat before the chili blend and meat is added).  Maybe I should add more chopped onions again after the meat is cooked, when I add the tomatoes?  Am I overthinking this?

On 1/27/2020 at 3:46 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

1st batch of 2020...brought the heat

2lbs beef stew meat, 1lb ground hot Italian sausage.  I’ve started to always include a ground protein instead of just the chunks.  Makes for a better texture IMO

5 serranos, 3 Habanero peppers  

49451433753_d7b1b0f5e0_b.jpg49451915486_363a273b77_b.jpg49451915476_a469debf6a_b.jpg

What's that other thing in there?  Rice cake?  Biscuit?

Bowl is way too fancy as well.  But the chili itself looks great.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:12 PM, utee94 said:

Glad you liked it, I use whole dried peppers exclusively.

Real quick, just want to check that you're TOASTING the dried peppers, not ROASTING them, yes?  Applying too much heat at that stage can actually make them turn bitter.  But just a light toast brings out the oils and they end up sort of fruity and delicious.

Correct. I’m not sure where I got roasting from. Maybe I read that somewhere about using the oven rather than using the stove top? And yes just a few seconds on the heat and you could see the oils.

From here on out I will not use powder unless I don’t have an option. Or I get lazy, which is always a possibility. 

13 hours ago, Snow Dog said:

Dude, the consistency is like gruel. We need to talk.

Yeah, mistakes were made.  Added all 28ish lbs of chili grind beef at once, rather than in batches, which meant that I was unable to properly brown/stir without concern for burning.  That got me nervous, so I added beef broth to up the liquid content and help with a more even cook, but resulted in the "gruel" consistency.  It was like 7:1 chili grind to diced chuck, so there was still some chunkiness; it just doesn't come through in the photos.  Also, this still simmered/thickened 2+ more hours before turn in.

Not my best pot, but the flavor was excellent and it has been money on chili dogs or frito pie.