Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

47 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Wait what seats are y’all talking about? The chair backs below the horns in the Longhorn? @SydneyCartonis there a 2nd club below the one you have access to? Because the pictures I saw of the upper club weren’t crowded and it’s not that big. I don’t think that’s where the people missing from their seats were.

DA54722D-1FEC-461B-89C6-7766B7A1696D.jpeg

If the folks below the longhorn have access to a club, I don't know where it is...they can't get up to the club pictured above, which is our access point. We can't even see those seats from our seats. Field Club folks are ground level, they have a club, but not sure who accesses it other than the folks on the ground floor. 

37 minutes ago, justhookit said:

That was my other thought. A lot of those chair seats aren’t sold yet.

The Foundation sent out an email to us a couple weeks ago, asking if we wanted to buy tickets to those seats to give to friends and family as gifts. I didn't buy any. It seems reasonable that many of those seats weren't sold. But did folks show up later in the game? 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Club sections are often empty in many stadiums but they're not in the end zone that is easy to spot especially during extra points.

Usually club sections are in the mid-tier that are only visible in rare TV shots of the full stadium. I've been in stadiums where club sections are usually half empty for half of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

Exactly. And again, everyone else seemed to figure that out.

11 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Can we save the empty seat freakout to a game when it wasn't a 3:30 kick in 198 degree weather? 

Dude, it was 193 with the breeze and you fucking know it!

Long-term forecast for rest of September looks pretty brutal even by Texas standards.  I think Rice will feel fine given the late kick.

Bad news?  Texas Tech is very likely going to be either an 11:00a or 2:30p kick.  I know some of y'all look at 25 September on the calendar and go and grab your Patagonia gear, but I'll bet dollars to donuts...Tech kickoff game temp is 95*.  Not ULL bad, but still some folks passing out.

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

If the folks below the longhorn have access to a club, I don't know where it is...they can't get up to the club pictured above, which is our access point. We can't even see those seats from our seats. Field Club folks are ground level, they have a club, but not sure who accesses it other than the folks on the ground floor. 

The Foundation sent out an email to us a couple weeks ago, asking if we wanted to buy tickets to those seats to give to friends and family as gifts. I didn't buy any. It seems reasonable that many of those seats weren't sold. But did folks show up later in the game? 

If they’re begging for people to buy tickets for those seats the easiest route is lower the cost and/or replace with bleacher seats and treat like a regular seat. 

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If they’re begging for people to buy tickets for those seats the easiest route is lower the cost and/or replace with bleacher seats and treat like a regular seat. 

Did you explain what in the fuck you were calling sydney and I out for on Saturday? I think it was on this thread. Wherever it was, it was bizarre and could use an explanation if you're going to @ me. 

Also, all of the handwringing about the seats next to the end zone is ridiculously overblown, even by Surly standards. It was game one of a newly launched and massive section of the stadium in 100 degree weather after 11 years of pure suckitude against an opponent that, while ranked and certainly terrifying to a number of vaginal posters here, wasn't a needle-mover in an even vague way for most fans. The upper deck was empty in parts. The blue hairs on the west side lower level basically never showed up en masse. There was a dearth of enthusiasm throughout the fanbase and media for this game. Hell, I've been in and out of my car all day but haven't heard the game mentioned once so far on XM84.

There were a lot of kinks left for the AD and LHF to work out for the SEZ after having seen it up close for the first time. I view last Saturday as a soft opening, akin to what restaurants do. They did a first class job anyway, but the punch list of fixes/problems to complete/solve must be somewhat exhaustive. I won't be back until Oklahoma State, so I assume they'll have most of it knocked out by then. 

In that vein, if they've created some sort of self-inflicted wound with the seats that you guys are fucking cyberbawling about, and it can't be fixed until next year's tickets are sold, I'm guessing they'll have it fixed by then. None of those seats were part of the capital campaign, if they're the ones I'm thinking of, so there shouldn't be some sort of long term anchoring issue keeping a solution at bay. Maybe I'm wrong about the selling of those seats though, but that's where some actual fact-checking could come in handy versus just assuming the seats are permanently fucked or attached to an air-conditioned club area.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Did you explain what in the fuck you were calling sydney and I out for on Saturday? I think it was on this thread. Wherever it was, it was bizarre and could use an explanation if you're going to @ me. 

Looks like it was this post in a different thread. 

@SydneyCarton @closetojumping I see y’all get exposed you pompous fucks

Guessing he was bitching about people not in their seats? Not that it matters that we watched every damn snap from our seats. 

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just joking around from my poors section in the heat. Wasn’t a call out just tagged saying I see y’all in jest 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

As you can see from the seating chart that they have posted on the Texassports.com ticket site, the seats were empty because they don't exist

2015_DKR_Blank10241024_1.jpg

My son, who is a UT student, went to the game and said he was sitting in the SEZ.  Is some of the new seating student section?

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Exactly. And again, everyone else seemed to figure that out.

Well it’s not like we can just move those seats somewhere else. I’m not sure what you want them to do here. It’s new seating and apparently it’s (maybe) attached to a club. The game wasn’t sold out. Short of picking up the end zone and plopping it down on a sideline, what’s your solution here?

Ive been sitting off and on in the east side club seats for years. Yes, people hang out in the club but they actually come out and watch the game, too. There was something else going on and the more I think about it I’m pretty sure those tickets just weren’t sold. There were plenty of empty seats in the corners of the stadium especially in the upper decks but you just don’t see them on tv.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Also, all of the handwringing about the seats next to the end zone is ridiculously overblown, even by Surly standards. It was game one of a newly launched and massive section of the stadium in 100 degree weather after 11 years of pure suckitude against an opponent that, while ranked and certainly terrifying to a number of vaginal posters here, wasn't a needle-mover in an even vague way for most fans. The upper deck was empty in parts. The blue hairs on the west side lower level basically never showed up en masse. There was a dearth of enthusiasm throughout the fanbase and media for this game. Hell, I've been in and out of my car all day but haven't heard the game mentioned once so far on XM84.

There were a lot of kinks left for the AD and LHF to work out for the SEZ after having seen it up close for the first time. I view last Saturday as a soft opening, akin to what restaurants do. They did a first class job anyway, but the punch list of fixes/problems to complete/solve must be somewhat exhaustive. I won't be back until Oklahoma State, so I assume they'll have most of it knocked out by then. 

In that vein, if they've created some sort of self-inflicted wound with the seats that you guys are fucking cyberbawling about, and it can't be fixed until next year's tickets are sold, I'm guessing they'll have it fixed by then. None of those seats were part of the capital campaign, if they're the ones I'm thinking of, so there shouldn't be some sort of long term anchoring issue keeping a solution at bay. Maybe I'm wrong about the selling of those seats though, but that's where some actual fact-checking could come in handy versus just assuming the seats are permanently fucked or attached to an air-conditioned club area.

I looked, and you can’t seem to get those seats without contacting the LHF directly. They definitely aren’t for sale to the general public as a box office ticket. They are listed at 500 and up on Stubhub so I guess you get access to the field level club. That wasn’t the issue. Those seats just aren’t sold yet. We built a bad ass new addition to our stadium and we have people complaining about empty seats on their TV in an end zone view. Fuck.

Edited by justhookit

Those seats I believe are the "field club" seats in various promotional things. They're pretty pricey for what it is ($4,000 annual seat gift + $20,000 one time capital gift per seat). You can split the capital gift over 5 years but that's still a pretty penny to pay for what they are. I know some of the other SEZ boxes/club access are also big capital gifts but I'm not sure how many of the folks paying for other club access would opt to spend more to move over + capital gift on top without a whole lot of extra perks (which there may be but too rich for my blood!).

• Hook 'Em 1

Program success and a steep upward trend line will fix any and all empty seat concerns.  Demand for seats for all but 20% or so of home games has been mostly dull for the last 10 years or so.  If Sark fixes that in the next 2-3 years, product demand will spike and that will sort out minor issues like empty end zone seats that catch network camera views.  These "concerns" will all but vanish.

The SEZ is not also not a traditional seating venue model for Texas Athletics.  New shit takes time to develop and work out the kinks. Duh.

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, Genghis said:

Those seats I believe are the "field club" seats in various promotional things. They're pretty pricey for what it is ($4,000 annual seat gift + $20,000 one time capital gift per seat). You can split the capital gift over 5 years but that's still a pretty penny to pay for what they are. I know some of the other SEZ boxes/club access are also big capital gifts but I'm not sure how many of the folks paying for other club access would opt to spend more to move over + capital gift on top without a whole lot of extra perks (which there may be but too rich for my blood!).

This is correct. @Lobois likely  right, they just haven’t sold much more than half of them yet. In the meantime there is no way to buy the unsold seats there as single game tickets, and they will never be available as single game tickets, so they will continue to be 1/4 to 2/3 full and piss Surly off.

Edited by justhookit

Was it @Zeus who said he's not sure why they just didn't put bleacher sets there? 

Thinking over this all night and not getting an ounce of sleep I feel those seats are just priced entirely too high and may not come with any perks to justify that cost given how poor of location those seats are. 

• Haha 2

Those are the seats for the field club.  All the people standing on the field patio have a seat above them.

Weather will help a lot for putting butts in seat during the game, but prepare for these seats to always be empty for pregame because you are right in the tunnel and it's 1000x better to be in the club for Bevo and the players taking the field.

Edited by JBJ

9 hours ago, Genghis said:

I think this is the answer to why they are empty now.  

When we get back to making playoffs every year they will probably sell out. 

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Well it’s not like we can just move those seats somewhere else. I’m not sure what you want them to do here. It’s new seating and apparently it’s (maybe) attached to a club. The game wasn’t sold out. Short of picking up the end zone and plopping it down on a sideline, what’s your solution here?

Ive been sitting off and on in the east side club seats for years. Yes, people hang out in the club but they actually come out and watch the game, too. There was something else going on and the more I think about it I’m pretty sure those tickets just weren’t sold. There were plenty of empty seats in the corners of the stadium especially in the upper decks but you just don’t see them on tv.

Yeah, no...I'm just identifying problems, not solutions. It's the Surly way.

In all seriousness, with nobody seeming to know what the actual problem is, I'm not sure what the solution is. Whatever happened, it was a problem. If it's a temporary problem (first game, first few games, whatever), that's a little unfortunate, but not that big of a deal. If it's a long-term problem (the whole season or beyond), that really fucking sucks.

Anyway, let's hope Bellmont has some kind of big-picture plan here that makes all of it a moot point (hard to type with a straight face).

• Hook 'Em 1

They should have just made the endzone a standing only supporters section that allows flags and smoke bombs and all day happy hour beer to launch skyward after a touchdown. The model for it all was RIGHT THERE. I tweeted this to CDC at least 3 years ago but he didn't listen and well he should have cos somehow AFC still puts butts in the stands despite some shitty other football.

Edited by Bottlecap
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

They should have just made the endzone a standing only supporters section that allows flags and smoke bombs and all day happy hour beer to throw up after a touchdown. The model for it all was RIGHT THERE. I tweeted this to CDC at least 3 years ago but he didn't listen.

Like this?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

They should have just made the endzone a standing only supporters section that allows flags and smoke bombs and all day happy hour beer to launch skyward after a touchdown. The model for it all was RIGHT THERE. I tweeted this to CDC at least 3 years ago but he didn't listen and well he should have cos somehow AFC still puts butts in the stands despite some shitty other football.

The Longhorn Autonomous Zone (LAZ). And if we lose, it will change to the Longhorn Organized Protest (LOP) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We'll know for sure it's an issue when we move to the SEC, have a night game with perfect weather vs Bama, LSU, aggy etc...and those seats are still mostly empty.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 9/7/2021 at 10:00 PM, justhookit said:

We'll know for sure it's an issue when we move to the SEC, have a night game with perfect weather vs Bama, LSU, aggy etc...and those seats are still mostly empty.

We should probably lock this thread until then.

Here is my Field Club review.  I was definitely part of the "problem" on Saturday.  At least during the 2nd half.

Overall it's a first class setup.  Still have to pay for beer and booze but water, soft drinks, snacks and food included.   Buffet style food included a build your own breakfast taco and/or nacho bar with eggs, bacon, brisket, queso, guac salsa, etc..  They also separately had smoked brisket and sausage (brisket was better than expected, not Franklin's by any stretch but it was clearly a "prime" piece of meat and probably better than you would get at most non Top 50 TX BBQ spots).  Also had salad and things like chicken strips and similar bite size food.  Lots of snacks (ice cream, peanuts, chips, cotton candy, etc.) as well.  Inside the actual club there were tables/TV's and then windows in the center so you could see through the tunnel.   Of course the open doors lead to the patio level you see on TV where you can watch game from field level of end zone.

We watched first 2 Texas drives/TD's standing on the padded level a few feet away from back line of endzone.  Pretty cool, especially when in the redzone on your side, but obviously zero depth perception when ball on other side of field.  You had no idea whether a run was for 1 yard or 7 yards other than crowd reaction.   

We went up to seats for rest of the half and much better from a game watching perspective.  Still very close to field but enough depth perception you can actually follow the game.   The obvious problem is the sun was hot as hell and had to turn around for any replay.  So with the game well in hand went down for food at halftime and although it wasn't the plan, never came back up as many adult beverages were enjoyed.  What was great is you could stand in the shade several feet back from end zone on patio level, step up a few feet if you wanted to get a closer look at game, or step back a few feet to grab another drink/beer, catch a replay or keep tabs on other games going on from numerous TV's in the club.

My takeaways:

1.  I think for more competitive games you will have more butts in seats.  If it was close in 2nd half I would have stayed in seats hot sun or not.

2.  I'm guessing currently only 2/3 sold out.  A full sell out will make it pretty crowded down low which would inherently move people up.  Additionally, for people with season tickets, I think the "novelty" of being down at field level during game will wane.  It will always be cool during pregame during warmups and players stretching in the tunnel etc. to have that going on while eating/boozing, but once you have watched game from padded level of end zone a couple of times I think people will appreciate that a much better game watching experience from seats.

3.  I think they have to build a north end zone video board.  Rumor is that is in the works for next year.  That will make game watching experience from seats significantly better.   Especially on a hot day when you have to turn around and look  into sun at a giant screen to see replay

4.  I think 1 improvement would be either to move the patio bar to upstairs concourse by seats or add 1 there to make it easier to stay in seats and grab booze/drinks/snacks instead of going back down (which may result in people running into people and lingering longer than intended).

5.  For USC field club, you had a seat "option" but seats were scattered goal line to 30 yard line.  Hardly anyone used them but they were scattered so didn't show on TV.  Unfortunately this design doesn't lend itself to that.  I don't know how you can really sell the end zone seats separate from the club.  So maybe that was a design flaw but it is what it is.  We spoke to someone pretty high level in the AD we knew from back in the day and they are well aware of the optics.  I'm sure they will try to come up with some ideas to help but regardless I would fully expect when we are playing a top tier SEC team at night the optics will look a lot better than it has these first few games.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...