Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/13/2021 at 2:40 PM, texifornia said:

Ah, so they pulled up the shadow Texas to get the lines through it. I was wondering how that was going to work.

WTF...they made it look even worse. I don't recall ever seeing yard lines laid on top of a logo before. I get that it's a shadow or whatever, but it looks even worse with the lines going over it. 

I saw it today from the NEZ. 

I was in school when they finished the NEZ. It was shocking to me how different it was, in a good way. It looked fantastic, like it was always there. Color was great, club sections and chairbacks were great. 

I look at the SEZ today and I see some Disney looking try hard design. I dont think that longhorn cutout looks cool at all. It looks overdone and campy. It looks somewhat cheap. Like we tried to design an end zone we could flip really quick for a profit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Like we tried to design an end zone we could flip really quick for a profit. 

If it looks like it could be flipped for a profit then that means it looks better then before or more appealing atleast? Profit??   

Edited by Hook1997

I was in school when they finished the NEZ. It was shocking to me how different it was, in a good way. It looked fantastic, like it was always there. Color was great, club sections and chairbacks were great. 
I look at the SEZ today and I see some Disney looking try hard design. I dont think that longhorn cutout looks cool at all. It looks overdone and campy. It looks somewhat cheap. Like we tried to design an end zone we could flip really quick for a profit. 

.60b8c30df8eebd411d0705ad9d19b92b.gif
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.1f16b98b5ad6c151d6632a0a7246b7ca.png

Surface looks to be completed the H isn't centered......But the color looks great. Also looks like they decided to go without the shadow texas.

Maybe they painted invisible ink for the shadow that will only show up with they cut the lights out for the intro

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

College football is overdone and campy, so this is perfect.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.1f16b98b5ad6c151d6632a0a7246b7ca.png

Surface looks to be completed the H isn't centered......But the color looks great. Also looks like they decided to go without the shadow texas.

Zoom in on the web cam.  You can see a faint highlight.  

So this:

Maybe they painted invisible ink for the shadow that will only show up with they cut the lights out for the intro

10 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Going to gagree.  No reason all this crap couldn't have been integrated into a matching bowl.  There are a million ways to reduce capacity if that's a worry.  Its as if it was decided the north end zone was too matchy and not college footballish, so let's make sure the new one is weird and doesn't match for no reason at all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, rantanamo said:

Going to gagree.  No reason all this crap couldn't have been integrated into a matching bowl.  There are a million ways to reduce capacity if that's a worry.  Its as if it was decided the north end zone was too matchy and not college footballish, so let's make sure the new one is weird and doesn't match for no reason at all.

Cool. Nice to bitch about something already constructed 

I wanted the lower bowl to connect like the north one does. Above that, do what you like. Even just the first 50 rows.   But I also don’t know what constraints they were working within. Maybe that footprint would be too large, or the additional demo too costly or time consuming. 
and unless I missed an email, I was not consulted on the design. 

12 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  As a result, you get a lot of dumb opinions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

I respect the opinion but have some thoughts.

I think that, given that structurally the SEZ couldn't match, and we needed to fit a Godzillatron into it, the Neyland/Big House style oval bowl just wasn't happening.

Most construction looks kind of flimsy and shitty until right before it's complete - there's so much that needs to be fitted in and all the aesthetic cheats that make things look cohesive tend to be in the last steps.

College football IS campy. That's why it's fun. It's not the No Fun League, it's a bunch of college kids with zany mascots and wild traditions. It has room for silliness.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 5

For fuck’s sake, every got damn new home or construction project comes down to the last few hours before everything is completed prior to closing.

Why should this be any different, or for that matter, any of you a-holes be getting your panties in a wad because of it?

I’m pretty confident that CDC and his minions have this under control better than you would.

(Notwithstanding the fact that every Surly poster is an engineer, lawyer, doctor, etc, married only 10’s and could certainly do it better.)

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Victor Lazlo said:

(Notwithstanding the fact that every Surly poster is an engineer, lawyer, doctor, etc, married only 10’s and could certainly do it better.)

Quite a few must be wives based on all the bitching about shit not matching 

Edited by mr. sunshine
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

For fuck’s sake, every got damn new home or construction project comes down to the last few hours before everything is completed prior to closing.

Why should this be any different, or for that matter, any of you a-holes be getting your panties in a wad because of it?

I’m pretty confident that CDC and his minions have this under control better than you would.

Oh yeah? Well, we’ll..  your wife still wants to bang Rick Blaine!

Other than my very topical, 80 year old joke, you’re 100% right, let the fuckers finish the job, then we can bitch. If I were CDC, I would’ve turned off the webcam long ago if lookie loos were going to judge every move while being made. Putty exists for a reason and things like molding and paint are more than just decorative, they cover up things that were never meant to be seen. 

• Like 1

Looking at the South side of the old stadium at the 0:22 mark of that tour vid seems to show that they left one of my old climbing cracks exposed!  It’s the one that had that photo of me climbing it in Texas Monthly back in the ‘90s.  Wondering what those unfinished pillars are for and if they are going to obstruct the crack.

They have filled in or obstructed all my old crack climbs during these rounds of stadium upgrades, including the one I climbed on the 100th birthday of the University.  While I love the upgrades, it’s sad to see us lose a great climbing area.  At one time we had almost 30 routes, including the one I used to climb in for the SMU Pony Express game, and the last ArkiePig SWC game, over by Section 26U.

😢🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

My daughter is at soccer camp today at Texas. They took the kids on a campus tour, including them eating lunch inside DKR. She sent this picture. It's faint, but you can see Texas at midfield.

IMG_20210717_161535.jpg

Edited by txfight
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, txfight said:

My daughter is at soccer camp today at Texas. They took the kids on a campus tour, including them eating lunch inside DKR. She sent this picture. It's faint, but you can see Texas at midfield.

IMG_20210717_161535.jpg

So it’s gotta be a light reflective coating, right? Do we think it’s gonna pulse for pregame? I would imagine any game lights would nullify it’s effect. I wonder what the color range would be?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

So it’s gotta be a light reflective coating, right? Do we think it’s gonna pulse for pregame? I would imagine any game lights would nullify it’s effect. I wonder what the color range would be?

What in God's name are you talking about? Pulse? Color range? 

It's just a slightly lighter shade of green bro. 

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)