Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, orange dream said:

I thought it was stupid when the ags added capacity and it will be stupid if we do it also.  We should add premium seats / suites but NOT add overall capacity.   If we want to build the south stands in a permanent fashion to look more like the rest of the stadium (except west upper deck) that's great.  Sure there will be more demand once we are winning more consistently but in general less people are attending games across the sports landscape and if we think we are exempt to that and add seats we should get used to something like this in all but the biggest of games in the best of years.

fans-at-darrell-k-royal-texas-memorial-s

if this team is losing only 1 or 2 games a year and competing for championships then they will fill the 102 thousand they have now, but they shouldn't expand the capacity much

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Well, it does look like that horrible Clemson addtion from the prior page.  

I like the old model much better. 

This. Be consistent. Mismatched architecture looks like shit. Use the old model and build in as many suites or whatever you want, but just make the stadium look like a single design. 

• Like 2

I'm no architect, but all this discussion of "mismatched design" amuses me. Once they put that mammoth west side upper deck on the stadium, nothing was ever going to be cohesive. They did a decent job with the East and North sides, making them look consistent, but to get a truly matched design they'd have to blow the whole thing up and start over.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

I'm no architect, but all this discussion of "mismatched design" amuses me. Once they put that mammoth west side upper deck on the stadium, nothing was ever going to be cohesive. They did a decent job with the East and North sides, making them look consistent, but to get a truly matched design they'd have to blow the whole thing up and start over.

So let’s add even more design that doesn’t look like the rest of the stadium. 

• Like 1

1) I completely agree with TornACL on the symmetry. However, this is a good chance to bowl in the lower section and increase the look of symmetry that we currently have. It does look a little like the ‘shoe, in that its disconnected from the rest of the stadium

2) Increase capacity to make it the largest college football stadium in the world. Fuck it, this will be the last expansion for us, ever. Would be nice to have the record, and we will fill it eventually, one way or another. Go big or go home. Texas is growing in population like crazy. Dont think itll be that big of a stretch to fill that place in the future

3) keep the skyline view if possible

As mentioned above they aren't going to put up anything that obstructs the capital view (nor should they).  That patio looks pretty badass.   And before people start bitching about the field club/suites, the Field Club at the USC game was awesome.  I wouldn't want my season tickets down there because not the best viewing, but would absolutely try to do that once a year for (particularly for a shitty opponent).

7 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Yes, they did.  Which is why I don't blame people for asking for more of the same.

Sure it'll never be symmetrical due to the large West side upper deck, but the rest of the stadium could at least be bowled in, in a consistent manner.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

2) Increase capacity to make it the largest college football stadium in the world. Fuck it, this will be the last expansion for us, ever. Would be nice to have the record, and we will fill it eventually, one way or another. Go big or go home. Texas is growing in population like crazy. Dont think itll be that big of a stretch to fill that place in the future.

Yeah, no.  College football attendance steadily declining across the country.  Student attendance steadily declining.  There is absolutely nothing in the metrics that indicate adding a bunch of shitty seats make sense.   Luckily CDC is not a dumbass.

Just filled out the survey.

Lots of 1's and "not interested"

Who would want to watch a football game from field level in the end zone? Those would be the worst seats in the house by far.

Many of my answers were "because I don't want to watch a game from the endzone, I go to the game to watch the game"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, no.  College football attendance steadily declining across the country.  Student attendance steadily declining.  There is absolutely nothing in the metrics that indicate adding a bunch of shitty seats make sense.   Luckily CDC is not a dumbass.

I disagree. In 10-20 years, we are gonna wish we had those extra seats

I like it, but i wish they would do student section Safe Standing ala Euro soccer stadiums. Allow fucking flags and flares and all that crazy shit in that section. $1 beers. Lets make this a real home field advantage.

(I'm serious about the Safe Standing idea, though)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

As mentioned above they aren't going to put up anything that obstructs the capital view (nor should they).  That patio looks pretty badass.   And before people start bitching about the field club/suites, the Field Club at the USC game was awesome.  I wouldn't want my season tickets down there because not the best viewing, but would absolutely try to do that once a year for (particularly for a shitty opponent).

This.  They aren't going to close in the entire stadium.  Having the capitol/downtown views is more important that stadium symmetry IMO.

The pictures are a poorly made mock-up that they used ask people what the hell they should include in this new section. I'm sure the proposals that they get will be more cohesive with the rest of the stadium and general campus aesthetic.

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

What is "safe standing"?  Helmets? 

Basically a standing room section with rails, but also a small seat to sit on when necessary. Usually, this section is reserved for the big, rowdy, team supporter groups. in the US we call those students. 

2188508-45727518-640-360.jpg

LAFCmay20-3.jpg

I must be slipping. I could not find Bert in any of those pics.

If they do that field level lounge they need to make sure there is enough space between the end zone and the railing. Looks like someone running full spend through the end zone for a catch is going to end up spilling my drink.

2 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I like it, but i wish they would do student section Safe Standing ala Euro soccer stadiums. Allow fucking flags and flares and all that crazy shit in that section. $1 beers. Lets make this a real home field advantage.

(I'm serious about the Safe Standing idea, though)

Can I re-enroll in school for this?

Of course that is just a rendering, but I wouldn't expect the addition to include any connections to the East and West sides, that makes the project more expensive and causes more of the existing stadium to be interfered with. 

Which is why I would guess why you get a rendering like this one. Lowering the overall vertical profile, while increasing the premium seating and most importantly for us facilities wise, additional amenities all connected to a totally revamped Moncrief. 

We are getting lapped on the training facility/hang out space for players, and whatever we build will connect the stadium, coaches and players facilities into one complex that rivals anything, while maximizing the value of having an amazing view of one of the fastest rising downtown skylines in America. 

Bowling in the SEZ, in the same way as the NEZ, even without the tiny upperdeck (or a video board on top) would block off all of that, plus add comparable seating options to what already exists in the NEZ.  

• Like 1

Survey complete.  If you say you might be interested is when you get the "how much would you donate?" questions.

Would you be willing to donate $30,000 to the building fund? - No

Would you be willing to donate $15,000 to the building fund? - No

Why don't you just tell me the amount you would be willing to donate? - $350   (i couldn't resist)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The rendering is terrible. They knocked it out of the park with the NEZ. Stadium looked so much better. All they have to do is the same with the SEZ but with more suites and clubs etc.

What I would really like:

1. Knock down the west side upper deck and make the whole stadium uniform. 

2. Update the west side facade to match the rest of the stadium. 

3. Chinese water torture anyone who values the Austin skyline over having an enclosed stadium atmosphere that traps in sound.

On 4/18/2018 at 2:43 PM, Ldogg53 said:

Things seem to have gotten stagnant at the top of college football.  The last 4 years have seen the same 6 teams have any viable shot at the title so I think people are getting bored with it.  Texas getting back into the mix would shake things up something and also wake our dormant fanbase.  If we get back to losing just 1-2 games a year and dominating the teams we should then people will fill the stadium back up. 

the bullshit playoff committee and the BCS gifting us SEC redo games takes a lot of the salt out of the die-hards.  Why are big ten or pac 10 fans going to keep pumping money into a rigged system.  Not everyone plays by the same rules, even the bigger schools, when it comes to making the playoffs.  The system is dumbly contracting the nationwide college football fan base to a small segment of the population.  Having ESPN and the like shove the shit SEC down your throats at every turn and have the BCS or playoff committee confirm the bias is killing super fandom and normal fandom/causal viewers. 

They have killed off a ton of interest and have no obvious way to get them back or grow

I expected the N and E row of suites to be continued around the south side as the top of the sez, then fill downward with a combo of suites and clubs and a more modest video board until you got to regular seating for about 20 rows, with these seats also being seamlessly connected to the east and west sides. 

This is not that. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)