Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're just trying to replicate the 'Shoe now?! 

And make it a completely distinct, architecturally different section? Our stadium will look like Frankenstein's monster.

If we're going to just rip off an OSU, rip off the other OSU and make it more like Boone Pickens with a big ole screen in the middle and mostly luxury seats / coaches offices. We can't sell the thing out anyhow so why even add bench seats? Sitting in the south endzone sucks a big one. Let the richies sit there in luxury watching the TV broadcast and occasionally peer down on the field like they currently do?

Get rid of that horrible tinker toy architecture and keep to brick facade that is the east side and north endzone.

5407f3802b79c.image.jpg\

vs

DblR3lZU8AAqPEp.jpg

5 hours ago, blacklab said:

Just filled out the survey.

Lots of 1's and "not interested"

Who would want to watch a football game from field level in the end zone? Those would be the worst seats in the house by far.

Many of my answers were "because I don't want to watch a game from the endzone, I go to the game to watch the game"

In total agreement. I gave a few 3's where I felt more apathy was due. Also used the opportunity to slam the non stop babble of the jumbotron, and handing the mic to anyone who screams at dog whistle frequencies (Holly). Also gave honorable mention to the folks that now show up in (at least in Sec. 6) to just get plastered and miss the game anyway. (The paramedic calls distract from the game.)

Starting to give serious consideration to changing from 4 seats in Sec. 6 to 2 seats in one of the clubs... or an RPG to Godzillatron.

This isn’t hard. Make the entire connected lower bowl the field house with offices, training rooms, clubs, classrooms , lounges etc. Glassish facade and a giant covered patio on top of that for those who need to party more than watch the game. Double stack of suites behind that and the matching upper deck from the East side. Probably about seat count neutral, keeps design continuity within reason, adds the premium suites that AD’s masturbate at night to and gives them the entire lower bowl to come up with something incredible for players and fans alike. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, blacklab said:

Just filled out the survey.

Lots of 1's and "not interested"

Who would want to watch a football game from field level in the end zone? Those would be the worst seats in the house by far.

Many of my answers were "because I don't want to watch a game from the endzone, I go to the game to watch the game"

Same here on the 1's and end zone options.  I can't fathom why someone would pony up that much for season tix at field level, since those will be atrocious.  That said, some idiots that go to the games to yack, sit on their hands (or in the club A/C) or be seen, will think it's cool.  

Also, the "living room" section made me laugh.

I'm all for a south end zone renovation and upgrade of facilities (especially where important for recruiting), but my happy ass ain't moving from Section 6 and I'm worried about a mass influx of non-fan douchebaggery into these new south end areas.

24 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

This isn’t hard. Make the entire connected lower bowl the field house with offices, training rooms, clubs, classrooms , lounges etc. Glassish facade and a giant covered patio on top of that for those who need to party more than watch the game. Double stack of suites behind that and the matching upper deck from the East side. Probably about seat count neutral, keeps design continuity within reason, adds the premium suites that AD’s masturbate at night to and gives them the entire lower bowl to come up with something incredible for players and fans alike. 

You think we should have a stadium without any kind of video board?  Not gonna happen. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You think we should have a stadium without any kind of video board?  Not gonna happen. 

I didn’t say that. I just forgot to mention it in the original post. Put it in lieu of some of the luxury box seating behind the uprights or break it into 4 places. I don’t care. 

Maybe have 3 decks of luxury boxes above the field house set up in tiered fashion for the lowest ones for patio like space for the second row. 

What was presented looks cheap and bad. You don’t go to first class stadiums and think “that doesn’t look right.” Clemson’s looks wrong. Vought Hemingway looks wrong. FSU’s looks wrong. This looks wrong. 

4 hours ago, Caddox said:

3. Chinese water torture anyone who values the Austin skyline over having an enclosed stadium atmosphere that traps in sound.

Fucking this.  We don’t go to game to look at the gotdamn capitol.  And in the next 10 years when some developer drops in a high rise that blocks the view from the stadium then what?!?!? Fuck that shit. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

Fucking this.  We don’t go to game to look at the gotdamn capitol.  And in the next 10 years when some developer drops in a high rise that blocks the view from the stadium then what?!?!? Fuck that shit. 

Do you not understand Capitol View Corridors? 

This whole cities development is restricted because of them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I think he was referencing the "developer dropping in a high rise" comment.

Fair enough, but the laws regarding the corridors and height of buildings have changed over time. At least the height restrictions have. So, it’s not written in stone that in the next 20 years those restriction won’t be altered either. 

10 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

Also, for those of you proposing the full SEZ bowling.

Where does the football team's entire operation move for the year plus after Moncrief is destroyed and the new thing isn't completed? 

The bubble.  Gregory Gym.  All of Jester East.  The Main Building.  The new EE building.  Really, pretty much anywhere they like-- they're the football program for the University of Texas.

Honestly, that's among the least of the issues, whether you're for or against the full bowl.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Fair enough, but the laws regarding the corridors and height of buildings have changed over time. At least the height restrictions have. So, it’s not written in stone that in the next 20 years those restriction won’t be altered either. 

Also a good point, nothing in Austin is carved in stone... it's carved in the emotion of the day.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The bubble.  Gregory Gym.  All of Jester East.  The Main Building.  The new EE building.  Really, pretty much anywhere they like-- they're the football program for the University of Texas.

Honestly, that's among the least of the issues, whether you're for or against the full bowl.

CDC isn't just going to pack up and move a football team into Gregory Gym. 

Gregory Gym utilized everyday by thousands of students and faculty, and as big as it is, has no room to house 100 athletes on a dedicated basis, much less the other necessary training and meeting facilities the team needs to operate. 

Let's be serious for a second and be realistic. Because this is 2018 and CDC seems like a very realistic and intelligent character. They are not going to pack up the entire football team and move into Gregory Gym for a year. 

They just redid the entire locker room, and I believe the weight room/training room. 

In addition to the SEZ, expansion and additional remodeling of player/coaches facilities, we will also need a new indoor facility in the near-ish term. 

They are thinking about solutions that get them to the entire package they want and need to recruit and compete competitively, and also attract more high dollar/corporate premium seats. 

This isn't wrong, it might suck that it isn't what you or I would want to see, or how we would design it on SketchUp, but I would bet it is a consideration. 

7 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

CDC isn't just going to pack up and move a football team into Gregory Gym. 

Gregory Gym utilized everyday by thousands of students and faculty, and as big as it is, has no room to house 100 athletes on a dedicated basis, much less the other necessary training and meeting facilities the team needs to operate. 

Let's be serious for a second and be realistic. Because this is 2018 and CDC seems like a very realistic and intelligent character. They are not going to pack up the entire football team and move into Gregory Gym for a year. 

They just redid the entire locker room, and I believe the weight room/training room. 

In addition to the SEZ, expansion and additional remodeling of player/coaches facilities, we will also need a new indoor facility in the near-ish term. 

They are thinking about solutions that get them to the entire package they want and need to recruit and compete competitively, and also attract more high dollar/corporate premium seats. 

This isn't wrong, it might suck that it isn't what you or I would want to see, or how we would design it on SketchUp, but I would bet it is a consideration. 

Wow, you wildly missed the point.

One thing you're right about, is that they're working toward solutions that grant them everything they want.  Which is precisely why a temporary dislocation if they decide to blow up Moncrief isn't going to factor into their decision-making at all.  They've already ripped apart Moncrief once for a previous stadium expansion.

Since the NEZ and field turf additions the first couple of games of every season have seemed hotter and less breeze getting down into the stadium. Doubt this would be much worse, since Godzilliatron is a huge wind break/heater. Not going to make it any better though. 

It's my feeing that the field turf holds the heat better than natural, and at least that could be fixed. Light breeze through the stands is gone forever.

13 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

Do any of you live in Austin? 

Anti-development, anti-growth policies are as carved into the stone and fabric of this city and it's leaders. 

Not presently, but have lived there for 10 years off and on since 1995. Owned a business there for 3 years. I am familiar with the fabric of the city. Regulations and laws are swayed by money. UT creates a shit ton of it. 

10 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Since the NEZ and field turf additions the first couple of games of every season have seemed hotter and less breeze getting down into the stadium. Doubt this would be much worse, since Godzilliatron is a huge wind break/heater. Not going to make it any better though. 

It's my feeing that the field turf holds the heat better than natural, and at least that could be fixed. Light breeze through the stands is gone forever.

True enough.

Still, it could be worse. It could look like a giant tackle box.

35 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Member when you couldn’t build anything taller than the capitol building?  And the UT main building was pseudo taller because it was built on higher ground?

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Member when you couldn’t build anything taller than the capitol building?  And the UT main building was pseudo taller because it was built on higher ground?

Correct. Well, Army Brat remember for sure. According to Wikipedia (yes, I know), the 38th St./Red River corridor was partially obstructed by the construction of the upper deck of DKR. So yeah...

1 hour ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I’ve wondered why a reflective field turf cover that prevents heat retention hasn’t been invented. Something that could be rolled back just before a mid afternoon or early evening game to keep the temps down for the athletes. 

Alright, I've figured out how to make EVERYONE happy.  

Go ahead and bowl the entire South Endzone, with all luxury suites or whatever's deemed necessary, but make it tie in architecturally to the NEZ and eastside grandstands.

Then, put a jumbotron in the SW corner that has a video image of the Capitol and downtown.  Everyone gets their wish, and the inevitable ads that the athletic department would run on that video board, could be done in the form of superimposed image of an airplane flying a banner for Rudy's or Taco Bell or Academy or whatever.

Simple.  Elegant.

You're welcome.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We went right out there and refused to play the acoustical versions of the electrical songs that we didn't record in the first place.

And then we smashed our shit 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I don't remember any gentle light breezes in the stadium in that 1995 home opener against Pittsburgh, long before any of this new shit was constructed.

I’m currently sitting on a park bench in an open field and there’s no breeze. Weather gonna weather 

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Wow, you wildly missed the point.

One thing you're right about, is that they're working toward solutions that grant them everything they want.  Which is precisely why a temporary dislocation if they decide to blow up Moncrief isn't going to factor into their decision-making at all.  They've already ripped apart Moncrief once for a previous stadium expansion.

No, I got your point. 

And I was trying to point out that I don't think in this current Texas football environment that Herman will want to voluntarily pack up his whole team, staff and hopefully humming organism to move into some ad-hoc, slapped-together solution elsewhere on campus. 

Yes, of course they can do it, and have done similar things in the past, but that wasn't in a recruiting/player-development age where elite facilities were such a bargaining chip, or at least elevated to the level they are now. 

One thing working against Texas is the campus isn't in a small college town, where there is still a lot of open space for greenfield development. We can't really just build a brand new football complex, including indoor facility next door, then move into that before we start a stadium renovation, especially not in an area where they might also squeeze in a new basketball area and training facility. 

This decision is going to be primarily about two things: 1. getting Herman the best facilities in the nation/connected directly to one of the largest stadiums in the nation. 2. Elevating the premium spaces to capitalize on the success CDC is demanding from all teams, and improving/innovating the game day experience to make DKR a jaw-dropping venue to showcase the program/university/city to recruits, media, etc.  

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I doubt that feature would age well. 

Opponents already suggest that the longhorn symbol closely resembles the female reproductive tract. They’d have a field day with our players running out of one every game. 

There’s timeless and then there’s gimmicky. A longhorn shaped entrance is just and inflatable mascot head on steroids in my eyes. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Opponents already suggest that the longhorn symbol closely resembles the female reproductive tract. They’d have a field day with our players running out of one every game. 

There’s timeless and then there’s gimmicky. A longhorn shaped entrance is just and inflatable mascot head on steroids in my eyes. 

Good points. Hadn't thought about it through that lens.

• 3 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 9:16 AM, Mileslong said:

L2ak2YEH_o.jpg

On 4/25/2018 at 9:17 AM, cdain3 said:

Fuck you guys who want to block the skyline view.

8338166.jpg

Damn, now I want Rudy's ribs/ mac 'n cheese & slaw for lunch, with an ice cold vanilla Muscle Milk to wash it all down...

• Like 2

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)