Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Best part of living in Castilian

Mad Dog's Dog House was more in my price range.

Either the FRITO PIE for $1.62 (tax included)*

or 

3 TACOS for $2.00 

It depended on how much money I had.

*I always wondered why the tax on the $1.50 Frito Pie was added ($0.12 @ 8% tax rate), but the tax on the 3 tacos was incorporated into the list price of $2.

4 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

Who else is old enough to remember pick up football games on the weekends in the stadium, on the astroturf? No locks, no security, no problems. Just another place to walk to to get out of your West Campus roach motel for a few hours.

(raises hand).

And how the crowd (especially kids) would storm the field after a game in the '80s.

Who else is old enough to remember pick up football games on the weekends in the stadium, on the astroturf? No locks, no security, no problems. Just another place to walk to to get out of your West Campus roach motel for a few hours.

That and running the track at night with just that one big light on the Freddie Steinmark. Good times, oh and no traffic in Austin.

13 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

You'd get home and have all of that green turf dust on the backs of your shoes.

10 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

That and running the track at night with just that one big light on the Freddie Steinmark. Good times, oh and no traffic in Austin.

I liked to run the stairs in the upper deck if they didn't have it locked up, which was often.  Otherwise I'd run the stairs in the lower deck.'

Sounds like many of these posts belong in the "When did Old Austin die?" thread.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

You'd get home and have all of that green turf dust on the backs of your shoes.

Pretty much the whole LHB had to wipe down their shoes after every early '90s rehearsal. 

10 Years later, I had some fun with the future wife at the top of Section 2 one Valentine's night after seeing Larry Gatlin at Bass Concert Hall.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pogo said:

Pretty much the whole LHB had to wipe down their shoes after every early '90s rehearsal. 

10 Years later, I had some fun with the future wife at the top of Section 2 one Valentine's night after seeing Larry Gatlin at Bass Concert Hall.

There are rules here. Please try to at least post pics of her in her prime. Let's get this thread back on track.

51 minutes ago, Pogo said:

Pics of future wife at the top of Section 2 or GTFO. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus this is like listening to the Longhorn Foundation leadership meetings.  

”let’s show you the amazing state of the art facilities we’re constructing.”

”that looks too expensive. Let’s talk about when we were young and shake our fists at the clouds instead, Chris.”

From our perspective, we were able to pull shit that would get you arrested and/or tazed these days, and we lived to tell about it. Those fucking condo/retail abominations are scarce on friendly front porches with beers offered by fellow students you've never met before simply because you said "evening" as you were walking by.  

20 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

There are rules here. Please try to at least post pics of her in her prime. Let's get this thread back on track.

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Pics of future wife at the top of Section 2 or GTFO. :)

I'll get right on that.  I'm sure I have some around here somewhere...

8 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

From our perspective, we were able to pull shit that would get you arrested and/or tazed these days, and we lived to tell about it. Those fucking condo/retail abominations are scarce on friendly front porches with beers offered by fellow students you've never met before simply because you said "evening" as you were walking by.  

What's your point? I spent a ton of college sitting on a porch drinking beer and and bullshitting with people walking to West Campus after class. It was great. That doesn't mean I'm here talking about it and discounting wonderful new facilities we are building in the New Facilities Thread so I can bitch about getting old. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Saigon Eggrolls were the bomb. Coming to your senses just enough to realize you are in no condition to be piloting a motorcycle as you're crossing Mansfield Dam, exciting to think about now, should have been more of a milestone then. Here I am MFs. Still breathing, and such. But I digress. The old stadium had its "charms" but the improvements have generally been improvements. The Tron had to go, but when it first went up, and the number of commercials you can possibly squeeze into one game hadn't been explored, it was cool to have something almost no one else had. The replays are now expected. People had to bring tiny televisions to the stadium to get that before the screens went up at stadiums. I'm trying to remember what the replay screens were like pre-Tron. Seems like they were on a big concrete structure that looked like a hurricane proof billboard. 

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What's your point? I spent a ton of college sitting on a porch drinking beer and and bullshitting with people walking to West Campus after class. It was great. That doesn't mean I'm here talking about it and discounting wonderful new facilities we are building in the New Facilities Thread so I can bitch about getting old. 

You miss my point. I'm happy to have gotten old. I had no right. And every generation of Austinite tells the following generations of Austinites how much better it was. The backdrop to that stadium wise, was the way the stadium was the students' to use and enjoy when not needed. It can't be that way anymore. I get that. But in a way, the continuous updating of the stadium is analogous to the entire campus, and Austin experience over time. Whatever was there when you were a student is a fond memory. I don't begrudge change. I just don't care for mandated population density and high rises. Everything must change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pogo said:

You were getting a little Night Time Magic?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus this is like listening to the Longhorn Foundation leadership meetings.  

”let’s show you the amazing state of the art facilities we’re constructing.”

”that looks too expensive. Let’s talk about when we were young and shake our fists at the clouds instead, Chris.”

yeah, so.

12 hours ago, Lat22 said:

You were getting a little Night Time Magic?

Sweet Becky Walker she's not much talker... but there's one thing she does mighty good.

I saw the Gatlins at some big megachurch in Austin about ten years ago.  They did not sing Sweet Becky Walker, Night Time Magic, or Mogen David.

Medium rare GM cheeseburger was the cure for what ailed you. That big fish in the aquarium, and your girl could enjoy the eye candy dudes working there. As for everclear margs, our 1st stop was the taco bar at Jorge's. Those margaritas were dangerous, and you got greasy little tacos to go with it as long as you drank. Then on to sixth. Last stop was either Katz or Kerby Lane (on Kerby Ln). If we were too drunk for that, we'd wait until late morning to stumble into the Omletry. What a great time. Windy Point, Barton Springs Hamiltons, and no crowds to speak of. I've heard Madison is still kind of like that, but I wouldn't know...

1 hour ago, 1leggedduck said:

Medium rare GM cheeseburger was the cure for what ailed you. That big fish in the aquarium, and your girl could enjoy the eye candy dudes working there. As for everclear margs, our 1st stop was the taco bar at Jorge's. Those margaritas were dangerous, and you got greasy little tacos to go with it as long as you drank. Then on to sixth. Last stop was either Katz or Kerby Lane (on Kerby Ln). If we were too drunk for that, we'd wait until late morning to stumble into the Omletry. What a great time. Windy Point, Barton Springs Hamiltons, and no crowds to speak of. I've heard Madison is still kind of like that, but I wouldn't know...

Did we used to hang out together?

Eye candy workers? Hahahahaha is my meter broken?

If not, thanks!

Marijuana the arowana was awesome  we used to place bets on which goldfish would last the longest at feeding time.

GM steakhouse is one of my best memories of going to school in Austin. Joel, the owner at the time I worked there, was an awesome human and lost his wife and son in a car accident when I was just about to graduate. I felt so bad for him. 

I’d smash one of those cb platters right fuckin now, too in case y’all were wondering. 

27 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

You may be older than me. The owner when I was around (81-85, Summer 86) was a big, gay Greek dude (nttawwt) who only hired the prettiest frat guys to work there.

John Spiros I think. The story was that he almost drowned in the surf at some Mexican resort and he swore he’d come out of the closet if he somehow lived and God called his bluff

41 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

You may be older than me. The owner when I was around (81-85, Summer 86) was a big, gay Greek dude (nttawwt) who only hired the prettiest frat guys to work there.

Younger- it was 1989-90 when I was there. Graduated in 90. Damn. 30 fucking years dudes. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

John Spiros I think. The story was that he almost drowned in the surf at some Mexican resort and he swore he’d come out of the closet if he somehow lived and God called his bluff

I remember Spiro having a bad-ass motorcycle that he parked out front of GM and would tie his Yorkshire Terrier to it.  Going thru the line during that era was running a gauntlet of verbal abuse, but it was in fun and part of the experience.  After Spiro sold GM his successor tried the same shtick and wound up getting his ass kicked because he was so bad at it.

Anyone remember going to 2J's on Sunday for 2 for 1 chicken fried steak?

Medium rare GM cheeseburger was the cure for what ailed you.

I remember eating at GM the summer between my junior and senior years in HS with the worst hangover I had ever had to that point in life. It didn't sure what ailed me that day.

Buncha old motherfuckers here. Only been 29 years since I started on the 40.

• Like 1

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)