Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, Pasken said:

Yea, the thing to remember about the arena is it has a capital view corridor so they had to bury a good portion of it so it barely fits.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-11-at-11-29-40-AM.jp

It's going to be a beaut.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That goofy fucking Longhorn head is actually kind of growing on me. DKR tends to get knocked for being a bit generic, this feels kookily college football.

Fill it up with fans and no one cares, it's going to be gorgeous and finally look like a stadium we deserve.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

That goofy fucking Longhorn head is actually kind of growing on me. DKR tends to get knocked for being a bit generic, this feels kookily college football.

It's looking better than I imagined*

*But it not being centered between the goalposts is fucking with my OCD baaaad!

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

You mean the longhorn head or what?

spacer.png

Ummm, he’s referring to “The Gap,” the architectural version of orange pants, capes, Childs should starts, idoit, Sam Bradford seems like he kinda sucks, etc. But instead of one tiny, inexplicable gap, we will now have two giant ones.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 9:33 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Tangential (?) related, and of course, pics don't capture the scale, but the excavation taking place for the Moody Center is pretty impressive. There's a good drop from street level on the Dedman side, but the amount of earth moved shearing off a hillside towards Red River is a damn cliff.

20200726_160227-1.jpg

20200726_160406-1.jpg

Someone get that fucking earthmover off of my tailgate spot....

I don't think many would be happy unless they had matched the NEZ, which indeed would have looked better.

However, I believe the capacity of the stadium would have been around 115,000 if they would have gone that route.  That is just too damn big of a stadium.  How often would it sellout?  How many empty seats would there be for South Florida or Tulsa?

• Hook 'Em 1

Not really. That 115 number assumes that you build out the lower deck as seating. That could have been done as lockerooms, scoreboard, terraces etc while maintaining the approximate bowl shape and continuity of suites and upper deck above. 

This was a get something done now project. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

I don't think many would be happy unless they had matched the NEZ, which indeed would have looked better.

However, I believe the capacity of the stadium would have been around 115,000 if they would have gone that route.  That is just too damn big of a stadium.  How often would it sellout?  How many empty seats would there be for South Florida or Tulsa?

I was hoping they would wrap the upper deck, but what was below the deck could have been a stack of clubs and suites or something. Maybe even just how it is but with the upper deck wrapping around the SE corner. Maybe that would look like shit or isn’t really possible with the footprint they had to work with, but I’ll never know because in typical Texas fashion they made all the decisions behind the scenes and announced the plan like it was the best and only choice. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Nope. It’s just wrong. Wrong scale, wrong style. Nicer than what was there for sure, but still looks “unfinished.”  I imagine a field view would yield a better perspective. 

Agree. It’s not just right, but so far better than the artists’ version and that’s the best perspective we have seen so far. I’m looking toward to a full overhead. 

interesting that the shape matches the diagram in the the campus planning document. I thought the orange crescent was an approximation, but it is going to be pretty close to the map. They could have matched the NEZ bowl and used all seats rather than bleachers. The seats that do have on NEZ are great. Maybe someday they will take that pitch all the way around the bowl and it will all match. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Nope. It’s just wrong. Wrong scale, wrong style. Nicer than what was there for sure, but still looks “unfinished.”  I imagine a field view would yield a better perspective. 

The gigascoreboard is pretty looming from the field, I think it's a solid look from that angle.

It’s all a moot point anyway. This season will be cancelled and before the 2021 season rolls around the big 12 players will be demanding the same percentage of the revenue that the NFL players get. The next longhorn team that plays in that stadium will be a completely non scholarship team being coached by a guy making about what a history professor makes playing in front of about 5,000 fans. My daughter and I will be two of them though.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It’s all a moot point anyway. This season will be cancelled and before the 2021 season rolls around the big 12 players will be demanding the same percentage of the revenue that the NFL players get. The next longhorn team that plays in that stadium will be a completely non scholarship team being coached by a guy making about what a history professor makes playing in front of about 5,000 fans. My daughter and I will be two of them though.

I usually enjoy dystopian works.  This one is a piece of shit.

• Haha 1

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)