Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not going to pocket watch anyone or be jealous of those with more than me but I can’t even fathom dropping 500k for the right to drop 4K a seat to a football game. 
mid you’ve got it so that doesn’t matter to you more power to you, but I feel like I’d have to be worth something like 9 figures before I’d even consider it- the fact that we’ve got people on here that have done that is just sort of stunning to me. 
I mean, I don’t know, even just paying 32k a year for the seats I’m thinking I’d have to make 7 figures to say I’m in. 
I can only assume you fuckers doing. That either have this insanely prioritized or you can buy and sell the average murse 10 times over. 

Really?  I thought the Loge one seemed like a pretty good deal, depending on what all comes with that.  Especially the way @closetojumping and @Sydney Cartoon did it.  Split the one time "gift" so you're in for $75K...people spend more than that on a car, boat, RV (sound famiar?), etc all the time.  Then $8K a year for 2 seats...that's only about $335 per seat per month.  Again, probably spending that plus to use said boat or RV.  And some or all of this is probably tax deductible.  Seems like a fairly reasonably priced hobby to me.  Hell most decent country club memberships are more than that.  Yeah the big ones are a little different level, but it's all relative.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Really?  I thought the Loge one seemed like a pretty good deal, depending on what all comes with that.  Especially the way @closetojumping and @Sydney Cartoon did it.  Split the one time "gift" so you're in for $75K...people spend more than that on a car, boat, RV (sound famiar?), etc all the time.  Then $8K a year for 2 seats...that's only about $335 per seat per month.  Again, probably spending that plus to use said boat or RV.  And some or all of this is probably tax deductible.  Seems like a fairly reasonably priced hobby to me.  Hell most decent country club memberships are more than that.  Yeah the big ones are a little different level, but it's all relative.

This is exactly how I viewed it. And yeah, the gift is also paid off over time, otherwise I couldn't have swung it. I also viewed it as something to bring my son to and a long term experience and activity for us to bond over as he grows up. When the gameday improvements started rolling in it just seemed like a worthwhile investment for my family. 

and if Texas ever starts winning there’s still the possibility the seats actually become more valuable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is exactly how I viewed it. And yeah, the gift is also paid off over time, otherwise I couldn't have swung it. I also viewed it as something to bring my son to and a long term experience and activity for us to bond over as he grows up. When the gameday improvements started rolling in it just seemed like a worthwhile investment for my family. 

and if Texas ever starts winning there’s still the possibility the seats actually become more valuable. 

I’m just going to go with @Wulaw Horn’s premise and call it a day. Rolling 9 deep and banking 7+ yearly. Woot!

In truth, it’s not all wrong but remember the capital gift is fully tax deductible. I think the $8k a year is too, but I’m not sure. I’m pretty sure I’ll do that part through a business or something anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I looked long and hard at it, spoke to LHF folks. I just have around 7 more years of youth sports taking up weekends between my two boys. Between select baseball in fall, school sports etc there’s at least one of my boys locked into something.

I honestly have real mixed emotions around it. 

53 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I didn’t realize the gift was paid over time. What’s the pay out timeframe on it?  

The biggest success story in my family was my moms parents. They owned a business (construction). They saved. They invested. They bought  real estate in CA (just their house) And didn’t sell. When they died and we liquidated everything they were worth something like $550k. It’s crazy to think, to me, that the most successful people on either side of my family (and truly the sum total of success on both sides of my family up to this generation- which is probably 50/50 hit or miss) could buy one box and one seasons worth of tickets at the new expansion area. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I got into my Rv for no money down and a payment. Then, I rented out my house for enough to cover the payment (and utilities on the house) while I was gone.  So it was a no money type situation for me. I’d not have done it otherwise. I think most people buy on payments bc they are poors like me. I just assumed those gifts were people who had it liquid to spend- I didn’t realize they were giving on payments too. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I didn’t realize the gift was paid over time. What’s the pay out timeframe on it?  

The biggest success story in my family was my moms parents. They owned a business (construction). They saved. They invested. They bought  real estate in CA (just their house) And didn’t sell. When they died and we liquidated everything they were worth something like $550k. It’s crazy to think, to me, that the most successful people on either side of my family (and truly the sum total of success on both sides of my family up to this generation- which is probably 50/50 hit or miss) could buy one box and one seasons worth of tickets at the new expansion area. 

Kinda depends on when they died (b/c inflation) and for how long they were retired. My grandparents retired millionaires (granted, less than 5MM), but lived 20 years and 35 years after retirement and only had 100k left after they both died. 

Edited by KYHorn

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Kinda depends on when they died (b/c inflation) and for how long they were retired. My grandparents retired millionaires (granted, less than 5MM), but lived 20 years and 35 years after retirement and only had 100k left after they both died. 

I get that. And that’s fair. But grandma and grandpa were worth more on the day they died than the day they retired bc of house appreciation. It wasn’t enjoying/spending a nest egg down to zero like many of us hope to do.  Everyone else died with negative net worth or not enough to put themselves in the ground. 
The idea of giving away 500k to football program is pretty luxurious to me. Good for anyone who has it though. Congrats. Thanks for finding this thing and making it work- I appreciate being basically a free rider. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The time period was 7 years. But after covid they basically said they could push that I’d necessary. 

And as I think has been illustrated here, our commitment was much smaller than your parents net worth or what you thought the cost was. 

the founder’s suites, the big ones on the side, were 10 million apiece and were sold out on day one, allegedly.  

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Now I’m curious if there’s a secondary market for these types of seats, or if they get given to friends and family if the seat owners won’t be going to a game. 
and if there is, what the market prices are. I’ve never thought to look. 

I don’t think we will know what the secondary market looks like until we can sell our tickets. But in my fantasies there was a world where we’d be able to get 2-3x face for tickets to great games, like Texas versus Bama. But texas Has to be good for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

It’s called “I want the last check I write, to bounce” we old people talk about this frequently.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

This sounds more like a case of piss poor wealth management. Seems like they could live fairly comfortably off of the interest from 5 million, and occasionally dip into the principal for a big event. 

• Hook 'Em 2

You don’t have to be a profitable business to spend a shit ton of money on things like sports season tickets.
At Texas I don’t think that’s actually the case though, at least historically, every interaction I’ve had with box owners, it was private individuals. Maybe the price point for the new end zone shifts that?  I wonder if guys like Joe Rogan or Elon Musk will buy one after moving to Texas.

Not a chance on Musk, he's bleeding money trying to keep Telsa afloat..and thats what funds SpaceX. (Which is subsidized by govt contracts) Pretty sure Rogan isnt a huge football fan, I've been watching his podcast for a while now..never seen him wear a football jersey or have a player as guest. (Doesnt mean it didnt happen)

MM on the other hand might be a candidate, but just for wife/kids and friends. If he's around on gameday, it's sidelines with the team all the way.

9 minutes ago, ousux said:

Not a chance on Musk, he's bleeding money trying to keep Telsa afloat..and thats what funds SpaceX. (Which is subsidized by govt contracts) Pretty sure Rogan isnt a huge football fan, I've been watching his podcast for a while now..never seen him wear a football jersey or have a player as guest. (Doesnt mean it didnt happen)

MM on the other hand might be a candidate, but just for wife/kids and friends. If he's around on gameday, it's sidelines with the team all the way.

You do know Elon is worth 200 billion and just gave a 100 million to a carbon capture deal, I don’t think money is a issue but I don’t think he’s a football fan and neither is Rogan.

Edited by Hook1997

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This sounds more like a case of piss poor wealth management. Seems like they could live fairly comfortably off of the interest from 5 million, and occasionally dip into the principal for a big event. 

That was my thought. Once you get to a certain number, we’ll call it 5 million, the principle at a meager 5% return should give you 250k of cash a year. That should be more than enough live like kings in my estimation into perpetuity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I’m assuming your Grandparents lived a pretty decent life in retirement. I truly hope they did and if so that’s awesome.
If I retire with between $4-$5M and end w/ only $100K when I move on to the next plain = Success.  

Lord knows you can’t take it with you.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

I’m assuming your Grandparents lived a pretty decent life in retirement. I truly hope they did and if so that’s awesome.
If I retire with between $4-$5M and end w/ only $100K when I move on to the next plain = Success.  

Yeah wouldn’t want to be forced to live on only the $20,000 per month that a modest interest return would generate, especially 30 years ago. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Boomers are so damn selfish 

Some are without a doubt. My wife and I are both last year boomers. She wants to save everything we can for our son, I think the $125,000 we paid for his education and our house worth which should be worth at least $500k when we kick off is a completely fair inheritance. He loves Longhorn football as I do but I'd be turning over in my grave if he spent a large portion of that of on tickets. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That was my thought. Once you get to a certain number, we’ll call it 5 million, the principle at a meager 5% return should give you 250k of cash a year. That should be more than enough live like kings in my estimation into perpetuity. 

To be clear, I don't know the ins and outs of their finances, but I know it was more than 2MM and less than 5MM (as I said). My grandmother moved to an assisted living facility in 2011 or so, and I imagine the 2008 crash caused them to make poor, but understandable, decisions to move it to more conservative investments that don't return anywhere near 5% (and at amounts that were certainly not at their peak). When you lived through or heard stories from the great depression, and now old, you probably make very conservative choices with your money and are less willing to expose yourself to risk. Anyway, between this, and assisted living and a decade of memory care, and many medical procedures, it was mostly gone.

Sorry, didn't intend to turn this into a retirement thread.

Edited by KYHorn

37 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah wouldn’t want to be forced to live on only the $20,000 per month that a modest interest return would generate, especially 30 years ago. 

If I retire in the next 5 years- I’ll only be 55.  I can assure I’ll be blowing through $20K a month. 🤞🏻

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Wut 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the info on the ticket plans.  Didn't realize the options on payment plans. Duh!

Re; Elon Musk.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him, or his companies, give a big hunk of money to UT. 

He might have some spare change laying around; if he drops a $100 bill, its not worth his time to stop and pick it up.

He's the poster child for high technolgy and UT has numerous leading edge high tech research programs, including a Nobel Prize Laureate in lithium battery research.

We have a football player majoring in Aerospce Engineering.

Why would he not take available of the opportunity to have access to the power brokers in the State of Texas, and by the way, be entertained by a fall afternoon watching some UT football.

Imagine the irony of trucks servicing the oil industry on Univerity Lands to be battery powered Tesla's made in Del Valle .

We'll see.

(UT '79, DVHS '74)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t think we will know what the secondary market looks like until we can sell our tickets. But in my fantasies there was a world where we’d be able to get 2-3x face for tickets to great games, like Texas versus Bama. But texas Has to be good for that. 

Made almost $8K on the 2019 LSU game just unloading 2 Centennial suite tix and 2 in Section 3 I own. You’ll do far better for the Bama game...That’s not the game I’ll be asking you tickets for tho lol. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

So how many years do you have to pay off the capital contribution?

I feel like I’m in the sweet spot sitting under the west side overhang in section 7/8. But I like shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said upthread...7 but with Covid they’re letting people extend that.

Still thinking my mega set up in my living room with 80" big screen and my topless wife delivering libations and food are far better and cheaper than this bullshit is the best deal...and no you can't buy seats at any price...

I am beyond the 1% ,bunch of damned fools.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Still thinking my mega set up in my living room with 80" big screen and my topless wife delivering libations and food are far better and cheaper than this bullshit is the best deal...and no you can't buy seats at any price...

Wouldn’t mind watching some games at your place 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Landomatic said:

When you explain it this way, that's not bad at all. I might have to look into this in a couple of years when my 40" LCD is paid off.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

Jack Benny sent it on ahead.

looking pretty good.  the longhorn carveout is turning out better than i'd feared.

i can't remember if i've asked this here but still have the question when i look at the progress:  are there going to be stair step terraces on the left side like we see already built on the right?  some of the renderings have that and some don't.  i think it would've looked nicer if the lower bowl just smoothly transitioned throughout, but figure there was some reason that couldn't be done.  i do think the stair steps looks better than a giant wall, and there seems to be an opportunity there for go go dancers.

i also look forward to them updating the "view from my seat" on the website so i can check out what my view of that is going to be like from the section 8 bargain bin.

Wut 
He's South African, dont think they even play American football there. Maybe he does buy a suite for SpaceX or Telsa, but think both companies have other money priorties right now. Tesla hasnt really been profitable and the bubble will burst once the giant car makers catch up with EV's, (already happening) China floods the market with cheap solar panels and storage batteries. SpaceX was made possible by Tesla (mostly based on the huge number of investors) and partially funded by government contracts.

13 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The PSL for the capital project is deductible but since the tax law change a few years ago the annual seat donation are no longer deductible which is a huge downside. I looked at the various end zone options but I just could not justify it at this point and will stay in the NEZ. 

Does those PSLs stay with you and carry value? or once you stop giving the annual donation and give up your seats are they no longer valuable and it's next man in line to just fill the donation gap? That was something that I didn't quite understand but a huge factor from my perspective.

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)