Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is supposed to be done in 4 months?

also, I wonder if they plan to kill the field lights and just have a glowing orange steerhead for night game intro. 

and maybe on alumni day, the combined band could make the shape of a Minotaur body and connect to the head. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It really does make the stadium feel so much bigger at field level. That silly longhorn head has really grown on me, too.

Arial shots show that this addition is still much shorter than the rest of the stadium, but the vertical design of it all is very imposing. I can't wait to see it finished and in HD for a night game. 

34 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

also, I wonder if they plan to kill the field lights and just have a glowing orange steerhead for night game intro. 

For sure they are going goon it up like that for night games. The block T has always been pretty cool, but I imagine it's going to be the best entrance in college football. Not that I know what the other competition is for that honor or really care. Clemson has their pet rock, and I always find it compelling to watch those dudes come down the hill in hopes of somebody eating it or blowing out a knee. Miami was cutting edge with its inflatable helmet and smoke machine but that is about equivalent to what most Texas high schools do these days. I guess that was cool in the 80s. What else is there? Michigan's stupid banner that the team jumps up to touch that they've had since when, the 1950s? Notre Dame's champion sign, which is hidden in some decrepit hallway? Colorado has Ralphie, which brings an element of danger and chaos to it that I appreciate.  Tech has the guy on the horse and FSU has the dude with the spear, but all of those are more mascot-centric than team centric. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

For sure they are going goon it up like that for night games. The block T has always been pretty cool, but I imagine it's going to be the best entrance in college football. Not that I know what the other competition is for that honor or really care. Clemson has their pet rock, and I always find it compelling to watch those dudes come down the hill in hopes of somebody eating it or blowing out a knee. Miami was cutting edge with its inflatable helmet and smoke machine but that is about equivalent to what most Texas high schools do these days. I guess that was cool in the 80s. What else is there? Michigan's stupid banner that the team jumps up to touch that they've had since when, the 1950s? Notre Dame's champion sign, which is hidden in some decrepit hallway? Colorado has Ralphie, which brings an element of danger and chaos to it that I appreciate.  Tech has the guy on the horse and FSU has the dude with the spear, but all of those are more mascot-centric than team centric. 

Alabama and Georgia, to name two, now cut the house lights and do something with red LED lighting. it's.... non-traditional, but it's cool in its own way. I like it better than having 640 different uniform permutations or dumb shit like the Red Sox wearing light blue and gold. I will be surprised if we don't start doing something like this:

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 1

That Bama entrance is not that great--it's just lights and loud noises. Also, why does Alabama play that AC/DC song? They are not the Crimson Thunder. Blondie's The Tide is High would be much more fitting. I could also see Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding or even Deacon Blues by Steely Dan. Any of those three would get Bama fans fired up.

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

That Bama entrance is not that great--it's just lights and loud noises. Also, why does Alabama play that AC/DC song? They are not the Crimson Thunder. Blondie's The Tide is High would be much more fitting. I could also see Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding or even Deacon Blues by Steely Dan. Any of those three would get Bama fans fired up.

I guess the theme from the movie Crimson Tide would be too obvious (and awesome).

2 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

I think the reaction would be like the time Styx played Mr. Roboto for thousands of drunk and/or high rednecks at Texxas Jam 

3 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Not sure if you are referring only to the video, but having been there in person I thought it was pretty awesome.  

On 4/9/2021 at 8:40 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

and maybe on alumni day, the combined band could make the shape of a Minotaur body and connect to the head. 

tumblr_o0m6sxUhuo1u3omiio1_400.gifv.gif

Alabama and Georgia, to name two, now cut the house lights and do something with red LED lighting. it's.... non-traditional, but it's cool in its own way. I like it better than having 640 different uniform permutations or dumb shit like the Red Sox wearing light blue and gold. I will be surprised if we don't start doing something like this:

Cool, but in a Close Encounters of the Third Kind sort of way...

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yes but of course, lets run out with a boring, no hype song and entrance :)

I'm not saying it can't change, but switching from the fight song to songs that

a) are straight-up oldies for the players on the field. Like Vince Young walking out to a Bing Crosby BANGER.

b) every team in existence uses in some capacity, so they'll never be unique or associated with UT

c) are by bands from Australia or San Francisco

Doesn't exactly scream "cool, fresh, unique", does it?

Edited by texifornia

I used to fucking love to run to No Church in the Wild by Kanye West and Jay Z. That would be a pretty badass entrance song. 

CTJ and I would also be vocal and aggressive in support of playing Headband featuring my boy 2 Chainz as the entrance music. Just to watch all the blue hairs pass out when someone explained the lyrics to them. Like a cornerback that's an interception...YOU THINK I GIVE A FUCk, THATS A MISCONCEPTION. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I used to fucking love to run to No Church in the Wild by Kanye West and Jay Z. That would be a pretty badass entrance song. 

CTJ and I would also be vocal and aggressive in support of playing Headband featuring my boy 2 Chainz as the entrance music. Just to watch all the blue hairs pass out when someone explained the lyrics to them. Like a cornerback that's an interception...YOU THINK I GIVE A FUCk, THATS A MISCONCEPTION. 

Thanks for your input, white guy in your 30s-50s

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thanks for your input, white guy in your 30s-50s

Touche.

I mean I love Metallica too. I have fond memories of Billy Wagner rolling out to Enter Sandman to close out Astros games 20 fucking years ago. Timeless. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Touche.

I mean I love Metallica too. I have fond memories of Billy Wagner rolling out to Enter Sandman to close out Astros games 20 fucking years ago. Timeless. 

I was at Jack Murphy/Qualcomm in 98? to see Trevor Hoffman tie the consecutive save record against the Astros. He came out to "Hells Bells" and when those bells started ringing . . . holy shit.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

"Any entrance music that I like because I'm a white guy in my 30s-50's seems like the best choice. By a mile." 

It can be anything as long as it gets fans and players hyped. Stadium uses to go crazy when Mo Bamba played. I didn’t go to a game this year due to COVID  but the prior year the stadium seemed more hyped with modern music than the oldie shit they play at times. 

overall the stadium music needs to be modernized even more. 

if you have near capacity and have all the fans cheering and going crazy, the players will feed off that energy. Same way fans feed off players energy. It’s not a one or the other thing. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)