Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, DeathTongue said:

Yeah, it looks really cool with an empty section, but what is it going to look like when the section if full of spectators?  Will the front wall/lighting even be visible with fans in front of it?

“Will the fans in rows 12 through 15 please remain seated and put your heads between your knees.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, DeathTongue said:

Yeah, it looks really cool with an empty section, but what is it going to look like when the section if full of spectators?  Will the front wall/lighting even be visible with fans in front of it?

We will get @SydneyCartonand @closetojumpingto yell at them from oh high. 

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

We need pic's what?

The frequency with which apostrophes get misused these days infuriates me. Maybe I'm just being ridiculous, but I feel like the rules really aren't that difficult to remember, and any functioning adult with a brain should be able to get them right. In general: 

• You do not use an apostrophe to make a word plural. You wouldn't say "I have two basketball's", so why the hell would you say "We need pic's"? Another common example is when people say "I hate Monday's" or "Merry Christmas from the Smith's!!"
  • Also, only plural words that end with an S should be made possessive by adding an apostrophe with no S at the end. Texas is not a plural word, so the possessive form of Texas is not Texas'. It is Texas's. 

/rant

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

The frequency with which apostrophes get misused these days infuriates me. Maybe I'm just being ridiculous, but I feel like the rules really aren't that difficult to remember, and any functioning adult with a brain should be able to get them right. In general: 

• You do not use an apostrophe to make a word plural. You wouldn't say "I have two basketball's", so why the hell would you say "We need pic's"? Another common example is when people say "I hate Monday's" or "Merry Christmas from the Smith's!!"
  • Also, only plural words that end with an S should be made possessive by adding an apostrophe with no S at the end. Texas is not a plural word, so the possessive form of Texas is not Texas'. It is Texas's. 

/rant

There are a lot of lazy and stupid people's out there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, DeathTongue said:

After an hour, fans sitting directly in front of the lighting will start to glow burnt orange. If they sit there for an entire game they will glow for a week.

Edited by BornOrange

3 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

CDC is going to need a statue soon.

Kind of funny how CDC changed from pariah during the football head coach hire to hero a few months later.  Other than landing Chris Beard (which was an A hire, but c'mon, how much did CDC really have to sell here), he really didn't do much differently.  The stadium construction kept moving along as planned and Longhorn teams with which he had no coaching role had some great success over the past couple months. 

Not detracting from or adding to the CDC praise.  Just noting that we're a fickle bunch.

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Kind of funny how CDC changed from pariah during the football head coach hire to hero a few months later.  Other than landing Chris Beard (which was an A hire, but c'mon, how much did CDC really have to sell here), he really didn't do much differently.  The stadium construction kept moving along as planned and Longhorn teams with which he had no coaching role had some great success over the past couple months. 

Not detracting from or adding to the CDC praise.  Just noting that we're a fickle bunch.

But let’s be realistic here. CDC job isn’t graded on anything but football and basketball performance. While we are all praising him as we should for the minor sports his true defining hires will dictate his job at Texas. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But let’s be realistic here. CDC job isn’t graded on anything but football and basketball performance. While we are all praising him as we should for the minor sports his true defining hires will dictate his job at Texas. 

Of course, and adds to my point in response to the notion that CDC needs a statue.

45 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My theory is that a bunch of posters actually have their wives in control of their accounts.

And they were all 'synched up.

35 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

shocked jurassic park GIF

Maybe it's the lack of sun, but bye ghawd that looks BURNT orange.

It's just primer.  The pumpkin orange is still to come.

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The seats below the longhorn are for some new group of ticketholders. I think they pay a PSL once of $20k and then a seat's season tickets are $4k. I might have that wrong, but I think that's what I was told.

The suites above the longhorn are the 4 ($150k) and 8 ($250k) loge suites. They're stocked on gameday with requested beverages. There are ipad monitors with the game coverage on each side of every other seat for all to see. Access to the bar and food area directly above, which is covered and air-conditioned.

The Founders' Suites go up either side of the scoreboard and those went for $10million each. 8 of them. Mostly non-corporate buyers too. There's also another type of "living room" suite for groups of 8. Those suites get the same amenities plus constant service from staff for food and booze.

Part of the student section will be to the left (east) of the horn, directly under where LHN and networks will cover the gamedays. The other far side on the right (west), I believe, will be where hosts, recruits, parents, player parents, and other team VIPs will be seated. 

I can't even imagine the amenities that are going into the Founders' Suites, but it's about upscale as you can get. I believe they're also building out a dean's suite that will host VIPs of different kinds of sorts. 

The common area with AC for the SEZ capital contributors will be accessible to only 400 people each gameday, including the new restrooms. That means basically no lines. There's exclusive elevator and escalator access and a gate that basically mirrors the parking lot in which the SEZ ticket holders will be parking. You can be suite-to-car after the game in less than 5 minutes. You could do the same showing up, but who the fuck doesn't want to visit tailgates and walk around and see the gameday atmosphere ahead of game time? 

Everything on the SEZ will be shaded by structure or covered deliberately as protection from sun. Only the first row has any risk of baking in the sun, and that's for 30 minutes at 11am kickoffs in September. Apparently one of the engineering or physics interns that they have running around did the calculations including sun placement at given times of year. 

Just make sure you're there early enough to run your race, buddy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Be open to the idea the some people here are very displeased with what CDC has actually done himself, but they don't beat that drum here every day because so many don't want to hear it.

15 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

That's still just the old turf isn't it? Was covered up for the commencement ceremony

I walked on the field the week before the graduation ceremony while they were building everything out. The old turf was gone, and after the ceremonies, I was told they'd be installing the new turf.

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Be open to the idea the some people here are very displeased with what CDC has actually done himself, but they don't beat that drum here every day because so many don't want to hear it.

This is kind of where I am at. People have adopted the narrative that CDC was large and in charge during the FB coaching effort. That's false and will be false until the end of time. 

On the other stuff, I think he's been anywhere from good to great with the work. So, he was useless, in the fetal position, and sucking his thumb during the UM/FBC efforts and has been great when the stage hasn't been too big for him. I don't know why I need to flogging that horse on this board as a go-forward, and I don't give a shit if people love him and want him to be the AD forever. If we never need to hire another FBC while he's here, fucking great. 

I will say that he legitimately wants to rekindle the ATM game on an annual basis and that is a problem for me. I don't want to play those feckless coelenterates ever again and will continue to enjoy watching their weird asses flail about and irritate a big pack of redneck morons that should have known better before inviting them over in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will say that he legitimately wants to rekindle the ATM game on an annual basis and that is a problem for me. I don't want to play those feckless coelenterates ever again and will continue to enjoy watching their weird asses flail about and irritate a big pack of redneck morons that should have known better before inviting them over in the first place. 

Exactly. There is way more bad than good with those stupid motherfuckers. It is a lose-lose proposition for us.

Fuck the aggies.

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I walked on the field the week before the graduation ceremony while they were building everything out. The old turf was gone, and after the ceremonies, I was told they'd be installing the new turf.

Hopefully the new Longhorn logo won’t look like someone used the resizing tool in MS Paint like the previous one. The horns always looked too short to me. 

On 5/10/2021 at 1:56 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

2235D087-43DD-4A4E-A667-A67FABEC8971.png

7 hours ago, cdain3 said:

.58d53a2e5c9240a04294ea22b2b29f00.jpg

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not so sure CTJ. I don't doubt you were told new turf would be installed, but from that May 10 post, it looks more like the white corkboard or whatever was being put on top of the existing turf for graduation and from the webcam it appears to have been removed today to reveal the old turf.

You would expect the white lettering on brand new turf to pop, not look grimy and dirty as it does now https://texassports.com/sports/2019/6/11/darrell-k-royal-texas-memorial-stadium-south-endzone-webcam.aspx

Also I'm sure UT athletics social media would be all over the new turf having been installed.

Just now, LonghornSean said:

I'm not so sure CTJ. I don't doubt you were told new turf would be installed, but from that May 10 post, it looks more like the white corkboard or whatever was being put on top of the existing turf for graduation and from the webcam it appears to have been removed today to reveal the old turf.

You would expect the white lettering on brand new turf to pop, not look grimy and dirty as it does now https://texassports.com/sports/2019/6/11/darrell-k-royal-texas-memorial-stadium-south-endzone-webcam.aspx

Also I'm sure UT athletics social media would be all over the new turf having been installed.

CDC has repeatedly said we are getting new turf this offseason, whenever it may be installed.

https://texassports.com/sports/2021/3/25/sezblog.aspx

South End Zone Shines at 2021 Commencement

This past Saturday, we welcomed our newest set of Texas alums during the university-wide Commencement ceremony. While it is always exciting weekend on the Forty Acres, this year Commencement was hosted in an sensational new outdoor venue space—DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium! In addition to the novelty of celebrating our grads together at DKR, the new South End Zone made for a unique backdrop and was integrated into the proceedings. The newly installed lighting and larger-than-life video board served as electrifying backdrops to commemorate the Class of 2021, and we launched a dazzling pyrotechnics show from the SEZ as sendoff for our new grads who are set to go out and change the world. We are exceptionally proud of our 96 current and former student-athletes who were part of the Class of 2021, each of whom graduated with above a 3.0 GPA.

This weekend was one for the books, and we can’t wait to see the South End Zone shine even brighter when we open the 2021 Texas Football season at home on Sept. 4!

Image_from_iOS_2021_05_22T213524_710.jpg

25 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

If you've looked into it, you're a better resource than I am.

While I was down there and walking around and listening to AD guy talk, I can't say I was paying an incredible amount of attention or giving it a lot of thought. I don't know how many posters and lurkers here have ever been down in the center of a massive stadium like that, but I've only had that privilege a few times. It's pretty cool even with construction and no one else around.

Got to do it once at the beginning of the Herman regime after a meeting in the coaches' offices, got to be on the field for pregame activities for a few big games and that was also super cool shit. Got to watch UF play at Bama in '14 as well while spending chunks of time on the field with buddies who work there. That was also fucking cool. I think that's it.

Anyway, yeah, fair point that I could have been walking over the turf and the guy talking to me was saying one thing and I heard another. 

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

Patterson, Plonsky and Perrin make me have horrible flashbacks.  

On 5/25/2021 at 11:18 AM, Your Mom said:

We've come a long way from "Give Me a Phat Beat!" and Ricky and Earl shooting lazers at Longhorn minotaurs.

I still like the empty Cap Metro bus making a cameo appearance. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If you've looked into it, you're a better resource than I am.

While I was down there and walking around and listening to AD guy talk, I can't say I was paying an incredible amount of attention or giving it a lot of thought. I don't know how many posters and lurkers here have ever been down in the center of a massive stadium like that, but I've only had that privilege a few times. It's pretty cool even with construction and no one else around.

Got to do it once at the beginning of the Herman regime after a meeting in the coaches' offices, got to be on the field for pregame activities for a few big games and that was also super cool shit. Got to watch UF play at Bama in '14 as well while spending chunks of time on the field with buddies who work there. That was also fucking cool. I think that's it.

Anyway, yeah, fair point that I could have been walking over the turf and the guy talking to me was saying one thing and I heard another. 

I got to come out of the tunnel at The Case after the team when Baylor played Oklahoma during the Robert Griffin era. /bigtime 

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)