Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copy/pasta from the wikipedias:

The open seating area in baseball was called the "bleaching boards" as early as 1877.[1] The term "bleachers" used in the sense of benches for spectators can be traced back to at least 1889;[2] named as such because the generally uncovered wooden boards were "bleached by the sun".[2][3]

The Dickson Baseball Dictionary lists as a secondary definition the fans sitting in them. By the early 1900s, the term "bleachers" was being used for both the seating area and its occupants.

In modern usage, the term "bleachers" almost always refers only to the seating area, and those sitting there may be called "bleacher fans," or "bleacherites." Terms such as Chicago's "bleacher bums," or Yankee Stadium's Bleacher Creatures are also used.

Feels to me as if there was one bleachers seating area there, and now there are none. In that bleachers section was 4,000 seats. 

On 6/5/2019 at 8:43 AM, woohorn said:

Still kinda bummed that bleacher(s) weren't repurposed, but I'd imagine the FEC is about to crater the market for used venue seating...

Nah. COTA flooded the market with  40,000 seats' worth of used bleacherseses years ago.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 8:43 AM, woohorn said:

Still kinda bummed that bleacher(s) weren't repurposed, but I'd imagine the FEC is about to crater the market for used venue seating...

kind of wonder if there is some plan for those and they pop up somewhere? surely they didn't just sell them for scrap

TFB on the SEZ timeline: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/06/open-post-weekend-june-7th-9th/

The Latest | South Endzone Renovation
– CJ Vogel

Saw there were some questions on Twitter regarding when exactly the South Endzone renovation would be completed.

Those questions were probably sparked by the videos posted by Bryan Carrington, Chris del Conte and other notable Texas Football personnel.

After speaking with a source with direct knowledge on the construction for the South End Zone, here are some deadlines that can be expected moving forward.

2019 Season

No south end zone – aka the bleachers that previously housed the band and was later turned into a general admission/student section

Existing scoreboard will remain in place.

Phase 1 structure – mostly framework.

While it may look strange to have the wide open area in between the field and the Moncrief Complex, it also allows for some interesting opportunities to take advantage of. Especially during the LSU game, the opportunity to showcase the future south end zone to a national audience. Also, Bevo will likely have a much larger presence in the end zone, especially with the absence of Smokey the Cannon for the next six years.

Basically, DKR will truly look like a horseshoe in 2019.

2020 Season

Still no bleachers in the south end zone.

Existing scoreboard will be taken down.

Phase 2 structure – vertical building, basically the main infrastructure without the makeup that will make it look like the final version

Finally, DKR will have a look at what the final version will look like. The entire south bowl will be enclosed, yet the corner will still be unable to seat fans for the season.

2021 Season

Plan is for the South End Zone to be completely ready to go for the 2021 season opener.

And there we have it! Should be fun to watch it grow from the ground up!

Present Day

Tell me if they've been doing this for longer than I think, but they had gotten into the habit of firing Smokey every time something remotely positive happened in the Longhorns' favor. Score a TD, boom. Kickoff, boom. Interception or fumble recovery, boom. Cheerleader wardrobe malfunction, double boom. 

Eventually the cannon wasn't shocking anymore. 

26 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Wasn’t today the last day for the Texas cowboys to respond? Surely we will figure out a way to have Smokey without them and not go 6 years without it.

If I remember right, CDC said the cannon is staying regardless, it's just about whether the Cowboys will have the privilege of firing it.

4 hours ago, Eggo said:

Tell me if they've been doing this for longer than I think, but they had gotten into the habit of firing Smokey every time something remotely positive happened in the Longhorns' favor. Score a TD, boom. Kickoff, boom. Interception or fumble recovery, boom. Cheerleader wardrobe malfunction, double boom. 

Eventually the cannon wasn't shocking anymore. 

We referred to that as “cannon abuse” back in the day. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 2:34 PM, texifornia said:

If I remember right, CDC said the cannon is staying regardless, it's just about whether the Cowboys will have the privilege of firing it.

That’s what I thought too. That update talking about a 6 year absence is being quite disingenuous 

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

That’s what I thought too. That update talking about a 6 year absence is being quite disingenuous 

Didn’t they take it with them on their last suspension at first and then lease it back to the university after a couple of seasons?

The Longhorn logo being placed on the new South Endzone will give the appearance that the smoke is coming out of its nostrils/mouth when the team and Bevo will run out of to enter the field.
Few other, if any, teams will ever have a design that can do the same.
It will be copied in coming years, but by the time most teams have something similar..we'll be well on our way to unveiling an enormous animatronic Longhorn that will run out on the field belching smoke and fire..

Before depositing the entire team from its belly mid-field...Trojan horse style.

Check and mate.

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)