AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

54 minutes ago, davidg said:

Nope,  mostly young white guys, 25-35 from what I have seen. 

Certainly true this morning, except the white and male part. 25-35, but racial mix in line with the coty and a surprising number of women, probably 25%. 
That being said it seemed like over half of them wanted 9mm. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I'm going to have to make a drive-by on an Academy one morning and take a look at this boondoggle for myself.

I have this imagine in my mind of gangs of retirees leaving Whataburgers and coffee shops after they've hung out since 5am and heading en masse to go resume the gossip and political bitching in the Academy line.  Almost sounds like this has become a hobby for some, as I can't see how this has been sustained for so long if it wasn't. 

Mine is made up of 60 somethings that appear retired.  I think it’s less of a hobby and has turned into folding money for them.   At least that’s the vibe I get.  

7 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Speaking of shipping ammo. The big spring skeet shoot is in San Antonio in two weeks and they are low on ammo to sell. Usually they literally have cases and cases for purchase from every conceivable manufacturer, usually at prices lower than most retailers. Good thing I have my own stash. 

("Inaugural" means with the new name. Blaser didn't renew their sponsorship this year.)

1359223883_ScreenShot2021-02-26at10_14_55.thumb.png.c2c74571911413aba1324b2cc8a90a15.png

Have seen 4H coaches in texaggy begging to buy it for the kids shoots.   It’s out a major dent in their competitions.   This hoarding shit needs to gtfo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

CHIEF Jr. has a buddy that has a coffee business and distillery, he works gun shows for him on a few weekends every few months. He is at the show at Amon Carter in Ft. Worth. He said there is a good bit of ammo at decent prices, if any of you are in the area. Show is open till five. Quite a few ammo sellers that apparently have large reloading setups. A lot of 9mm, .45, 5.56, and .308 sold in gallon baggies. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the SAXET show in SA this last weekend.  Hilarious what people are asking for ammo.

Been awhile since I've had to buy .300 Win Mag for my deer setup, but the price tags on most of the boxes I have are around $28-$30. Best I could find for a box of 20 rnds at the show were $98/box.  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Only thing about that show which didn't make me regret the $8 entrance fee were the F-16s from Lackland putting on a show while I waited in the quarter mile long line out in the parking lot and the 115lb dude with pencil thin arms rolling in wheelchair wearing a T-Shirt that had arrows pointing down each sleeve with the caption "Can't Ban THESE Guns!"

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I just gave my brother a box of 50 rounds of Federal Law Enforcement 9mm HST 124 grain Tactical from my stash. The price tag on it said $24.99. 
I had bought two of them at GT Distributors in Austin a year ago when taking delivery of a Ruger PC Carbine. Thought it was overpriced then. That was the last time I bought any ammo at a LGS.

Brother was caught short of 9mm after he bought two Ruger LC9 pistols early last year and shot up his meager stash right away, then couldn’t find any locally.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:17 AM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. has a buddy that has a coffee business and distillery, he works gun shows for him on a few weekends every few months. He is at the show at Amon Carter in Ft. Worth. He said there is a good bit of ammo at decent prices, if any of you are in the area. Show is open till five. Quite a few ammo sellers that apparently have large reloading setups. A lot of 9mm, .45, 5.56, and .308 sold in gallon baggies. 

CHIEF

At this show CHIEF Jr. said there were some NATO suppliers that contracted their ammo to be produced in Bosnia, several suppliers, in fact. The both across from them was one of them. 5.56 was 70 cents per round at their booth. He said he saw some at 50 cents per round. The lady that was at the booth selling it at 70 cents thought at 50 cents they were either loosing money, or barely breaking even. There is another one this weekend March 13-14.

CHIEF

33 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Next time they come available I am going ballz deep into a progressive reloader with a shit-ton of fixin's.

Walk sideways for a couple of months deep.

There's no time like the present.  Components seem to be loosening up a bit except for primers.  They are very hard to find right now if you haven't laid in a supply.

giphy.gif

Just now, davidg said:

There's no time like the present.  Components seem to be loosening up a bit except for primers.  They are very hard to find right now if you haven't laid in a supply.

giphy.gif

Everywhere I've looked says "On backorder" or "Out of stock" on progressive reloaders.  I've checked Hornady, Dillon, and Lee.  Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.

Hey guys, I originally posted in the Gun Owners thread but just saw this thread specifically about ammo. My dad passed away in January and left behind a bunch of guns and ammo. I know nothing when it comes to the world of guns, but thanks to some posters on here I learned that ammo is in very short supply. So, to help give my mom some extra cash while she deals with everything that comes with losing a lifelong partner, I'm looking to sell off all of the ammo, and eventually the guns. I've put together a spreadsheet of all the ammo I have available. I went on to gunbroker and midway and tried to get an idea of how much things are going for these days. I'm not looking to rip anyone off, but I also know a lot of the ammo is going for a premium and I'd like to get the market price, or close to it, if possible. I will not be keeping any of the money, it'll all be going to my mom. I live in South Austin, so if you also live in the area you're more than welcome to pick it up in person. It's all still currently in San Antonio, but I can go pick it all up this week or over the weekend. If you need things shipped, I should be able to do that too, just gotta figure out how much shipping would be and get some boxes to ship stuff in.

If you see anything you want and are serious about buying, send me a PM. If something looks outrageously overpriced, please let me know and I will adjust accordingly. Like I said, I have no real knowledge about the going rate of this stuff, I just did the best I could at searching and comparing what I could.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A0LNH63m6B5lq7H12fFra7_av9k8ms_dl5XopdNhfQc/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by hornfan785
  • Hook 'Em 2

Seems like the ammo situation is getting slowly better. Academy still has some ammo in stock past the initial "people in line when it opens" rush. Went to the Oak Knoll/183 Academy at 10am today and they had 9mm, 5.56, shotgun shells and other assorted ammo still available.

• Hook 'Em 2

Seems like the ammo situation is getting slowly better. Academy still has some ammo in stock past the initial "people in line when it opens" rush. Went to the Oak Knoll/183 Academy at 10am today and they had 9mm, 5.56, shotgun shells and other assorted ammo still available.

It’s getting there. I’ve noticed some improvement too. Got some 9mm at Georgetown the other day as well.

5 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

SG Ammo actually put out a newsletter this week.....which means they have substantive inventory about which Sam could write.  That’s the first time since June. 

Did he publish it from his new villa in the South of France?

I haven't seen a single box of ammo at the local academy in months.

But local stores have randomness at least.

I’ve been killing it at academy. Blazer brass 9mm, 308, good 556, even 200 round green tip bulk boxes of green tip in 556. Saw lots of .380 today too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Dad never brought Juan home from the war. Worse, he left Juan’s smaller brother Carmine in his tank.

Geeze, the janitor at the Austin public library branch where I worked part time in high school & college “brought back” his issue carbine from Europe in 1945. He was a driver on the Red Ball Express.

I offered him $25 for it, but he turned it down. The Civil Rights movement was ramping up then and he felt (for good reason) he might need it for self defense.

14 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I’ve been killing it at academy. Blazer brass 9mm, 308, good 556, even 200 round green tip bulk boxes of green tip in 556. Saw lots of .380 today too.

All I saw at the Academy on 1431 in Cedar Park was 12 and 28 gauge shotshells. 
Bought a couple boxes of the 12 just for grins, as all I have for my two are 00 Buck. Wish they would get some 20 gauge in.

All I saw at the Academy on 1431 in Cedar Park was 12 and 28 gauge shotshells. 
Bought a couple boxes of the 12 just for grins, as all I have for my two are 00 Buck. Wish they would get some 20 gauge in.

Go more often.

Also Georgetown should be good tomorrow or Monday around 9:30.

17 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

What ammo do you like for your M. Juan Grande?

This guy here in SA might have a lead for you.

My first thought being behind this guy on 281 was, "Actually, I'm thinking a few thousand do".

Lat said he'd take the Over.

IMG_2565.jpeg

Edited by Cajun

On 3/18/2021 at 2:51 PM, Handcruser said:

Go more often.

Also Georgetown should be good tomorrow or Monday around 9:30.

Went yesterday morning. No handgun or rifle ammo. All they had was 12, 20, & 28 gauge shotshells.

I did pick up a box of 20 gauge that I hadn’t seen in ages, plus some needed gun socks.

8 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

This gun show pic was posted on the Defensive Carry board:

C879007C-99C2-41CF-8726-913CBD67927D.jpeg

Other than the merely silly price for  .22lr, that’s incredibly asinine. If people are paying it, gun owners are just as dumb and gullible as politicians think. Maybe more. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova