AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

15 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Academy has been putting the ammo out at odd times. So the guys showing up early (mainly resellers) aren’t getting the bulk of the good stuff. Academy may put some out at 11 or 2 or whatever.

Well, this prompted me to call my local just now.  The manager said "we arent allowed to put back ammo" and I asked her to just not stock it on the shelves until later in the day and not the night before and it would greatly help with the situation.  Deaf ears.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

So, it might be up to the individual managers about timing?

Which store are you referring to?

If "Storage Wars" can make as much money as that show does, a show about the "Ammo Wars" would be a hit.  Following these cornballs around and showing them try and resell would be great. 

"Big Jessie scored big with his (2) 200 round packs of American Eagle 5.56 he then sold in the parking lot.  His profit of $27 comes out to a whopping $0.39 per hour of work he spent chasing ammo this week."

"Joe-Willy didn't fare quite so well, He spent $120 on 2 boxes of ammo he'd  pre-sold on TXGuntrader.com, but he bought .300 Win Mag instead of .300 Weatherby Mag and now he has Karen from Vidor mighty pissed off because she already Venmo'd the money and it was an anniversary present for her husband/uncle."

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Haha 1

So, it might be up to the individual managers about timing?
Which store are you referring to?

I’ve been to cedar park and Georgetown and I know for sure cedar park is staggering their stocking times. Old guy behind the counter HATES the resellers and let’s them know it lol

Just now, Handcruser said:

I’ve been to cedar park and Georgetown and I know for sure cedar park is staggering their stocking times. Old guy behind the counter HATES the resellers and let’s them know it lol

Good for him. He tried to sell me a new Ruger pistol model... the Max-9. I was tempted, but will wait another year before biting so Ruger can get the usual bugs worked out.

Good for him. He tried to sell me a new Ruger pistol model... the Max-9. I was tempted, but will wait another year before biting so Ruger can get the usual bugs worked out.

Man I don’t know what your hard-on is for Ruger pistols but we may need to do an intervention.

That old guy is pretty nice. We always shoot the shit when I’m in there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Man I don’t know what your hard-on is for Ruger pistols but we may need to do an intervention.

I would much prefer a double/1.5 stack Kahr PM9 Covert, but Justin Moon is apparently concentrating on his recent acquisition of Magnum Research & Auto Ordnance.

Ruger? What’s there not to like about this?

60B2CD8F-ECCF-47D1-8AFA-7CCE0A8A0AA2.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

I would much prefer a double/1.5 stack Kahr PM9 Covert, but Justin Moon is apparently concentrating on his recent acquisition of Magnum Research & Auto Ordnance.
Ruger? What’s there not to like about this?

60B2CD8F-ECCF-47D1-8AFA-7CCE0A8A0AA2.jpeg.ff519db08ae1f61c0f95990f550eff62.jpeg
The wood inlay on that is beautiful. Plus, snubs give me a hard on.

14 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I've owned 2 Ruger pistols.  A MarkV .22, which I loved, and a P89 (I think that was the model-been a long time) 9mm that was biggest piece of shit I've ever owned.

/csb

• Like 1

Hit my local Academy this morning right and 9am and walked in the door right behind the ammo waiting line.  Walked to the gun desk area looking for reloading components and found quite a few boxes of steel cased Monarch 9mm,380 and 45 there along with a 200 rnd box of Win 5.56.  Had a hundred or so boxes of 12 ga some 20 and the ubiquitous 28ga (limit 10 boxes on shotgun) .  Gathered up the 200 count box and a few boxes of 12 ga and turned back to the register line.  Still had enough boxes there on the mobile cart to grab a Blaser brass 9mm.  Even had 10 or so boxes of 30-06 core-lokts left.  Maybe supplies are starting to catch demand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In Academy last Friday after the ammo rush, I find a box of 9mm someone had set on a shelf in the fishing area.  I take it over the cart where people are staring at the last few .22 boxes.  I hold up the box and say, "anybody want some 9mm?".  It was like holding up a tennis ball amongst a bunch of Labrador Retrievers.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Cannot believe I'm now regularly paying $15/box + shipping for 20 ga target ammo, yet here we are. 

That being said, at least it's out there and (occasionally) available. 

I bought a flat of heavy dove a few weeks ago and it was like Christmas.   Hey kids, we don’t have to worry about having ammo for dove season this year!!!    Crazy market. 

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I bought a flat of heavy dove a few weeks ago and it was like Christmas.   Hey kids, we don’t have to worry about having ammo for dove season this year!!!    Crazy market. 

I have bought several cases of dove loads for both 12 and 20 gauge the last few months.  Academy has it pretty frequently.  By the case or in those 100 round packs.

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have bought several cases of dove loads for both 12 and 20 gauge the last few months.  Academy has it pretty frequently.  By the case or in those 100 round packs.

Yeah there were a few there.  Just the feeling, hard to describe. I’ve never once in my life had an issue buying a flat of heavy dove.  But 3 months ago...

On 4/23/2021 at 7:54 AM, Armybrat said:

They’ve come a long way.

The underrated SR series stack up equally with Glocks, at much lower prices (prepandemic)

2B7DC8F7-66FE-491D-AD95-441986DF1066.jpeg

Glad to hear they are considered good guns. My dad gave me this one a few months ago. Haven’t shot it because I can’t get ammo yet here in the Bay Area.  Local gun store wouldn’t sell me .22 rounds because I haven’t registered a gun in the state for a few years.  Looks like I need to make a trip to Reno. 

FE2E4DEB-5660-4EDD-A750-0D264D13142A.jpeg

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

That’s a nice SR9c. Those compact carry versions are more desirable than the full size like mine. 
They are very scarce since being out of production for almost two years.

You can still order additional magazines online, but it you are in the California Bay Area there are probably a bunch of restrictions.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-magazine-sr9c-10rd-extended.html

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/14/2021 at 10:09 AM, Lhorn said:

Glad to hear they are considered good guns. My dad gave me this one a few months ago. Haven’t shot it because I can’t get ammo yet here in the Bay Area.  Local gun store wouldn’t sell me .22 rounds because I haven’t registered a gun in the state for a few years.  Looks like I need to make a trip to Reno. 

FE2E4DEB-5660-4EDD-A750-0D264D13142A.jpeg

You can buy ammo in CA, even if you haven't purchased a gun in the past 10 years.  

You pay an $18.00 background check fee, and have to wait a few days to pick up the ammo.   Once you've done that, your in the "system" and can purchase ammo and carry it out immediately.  

Alternatively, you can "register" that ruger with the state, which also puts you in the system, and you can purchase any caliber ammo anytime you can find it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

You can buy ammo in CA, even if you haven't purchased a gun in the past 10 years.  

You pay an $18.00 background check fee, and have to wait a few days to pick up the ammo.   Once you've done that, your in the "system" and can purchase ammo and carry it out immediately.  

Alternatively, you can "register" that ruger with the state, which also puts you in the system, and you can purchase any caliber ammo anytime you can find it. 

But he better check that extended magazine to make sure it holds no more than 10 rounds. Don’t y’all have a 10 round capacity limit?

The flush fit magazine that came with the SR9c was 10 rounds, but in most states that allowed it, the extended mag held 17.

Am not sure what was allowed in California when those pistols were first introduced.

Edited by Armybrat

30 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

But he better check that extended magazine to make sure it holds no more than 10 rounds. Don’t y’all have a 10 round capacity limit?

The flush fit magazine that came with the SR9c was 10 rounds, but in most states that allowed it, the extended mag held 17.

Am not sure what was allowed in California when those pistols were first introduced.

Yes, 10 round max. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Thanks. I didn’t realize that.  The way I understood it is that you have to have registered a gun.  It seemed like once you had registered a gun you could buy other types of ammo (.22, .38 etc even if the only registered gun was the 9mm).  I’ll look into it further. 

If you are in Austin, GT distributors normally limits to 100rds of training ammo/month, but right now if you make a donation to the 100 club you can get 200 more rounds. So I got 6 boxes of  aluminum case Blazer 9mm training rounds for $18/each plus a $20 donation I would have made anyway. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Thanks. I didn’t realize that.  The way I understood it is that you have to have registered a gun.  It seemed like once you had registered a gun you could buy other types of ammo (.22, .38 etc even if the only registered gun was the 9mm).  I’ll look into it further. 

More info:

https://calwaterfowl.org/navigating-californias-new-ammunition-background-check-system#:~:text=For five out of six,the store with their ammo.

15 hours ago, Lhorn said:

More info:

https://calwaterfowl.org/navigating-californias-new-ammunition-background-check-system#:~:text=For five out of six,the store with their ammo.