AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

For anyone that reloads, assuming you can find the materials (big assumption), what price can you get to on that round? 9mm 124g 

Pre pandemic pricing when supplies were good

Brass - free range scrounge
Berry’s Plated 124gr RN -.09
Powder - .035
Primer - .03

Probably more like this now

Bullet - .012
Powder - .04
Primer - .08

So if I’m reading that right (think you have an extra 0 on pandemic bullets) it was 16c/per before, 24c/per now, and if I find a deal I can buy them for 36-38c/per.  

Im not that big into pistols but wanting to get either a 9 or 40 carbine at some point. Hoping ammo takes a dip someday but who knows. Might be like everything else, meet the new normal. 

Yeah. There’s an extra zero in there. Pre pandemic might even be 2-3 cents lower.

For factory round I used to buy a ton of Winchester white box 100 packs at $26 for 9mm and $32-34 for 40. That was my go by for reloading or not but for a while ai was shooting 500-750 rnds/ month and I could spend a few nights on the press and punch out a bunch of rounds.

So if I’m reading that right (think you have an extra 0 on pandemic bullets) it was 16c/per before, 24c/per now, and if I find a deal I can buy them for 36-38c/per.  

Im not that big into pistols but wanting to get either a 9 or 40 carbine at some point. Hoping ammo takes a dip someday but who knows. Might be like everything else, meet the new normal. 

Academy raised a bunch of prices on ammo in the past few weeks.

I see an ammo shortage in the near future - so buy now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not at all trying to make this political, but I do think it is an accurate observation to say that there are some parties in power in the federal government right now who think it is a good thing that ammo is harder to find and acquire and who are actively working to make it even harder. Or, to be generous, they are at the very least not worried about making it easier. 

Bottom line is, yes, I agree, more shortages are coming, at least as long as the executive branch is controlled by those who are hostile to private firearm ownership, maybe even longer if you consider the permanent bureaucracy. 

The general consensus I see on the gun boards about the causes of the ammo shortage center around two things...

1) Panic-buying hoarders, plus millions of first time gun buyers (prompted by civil unrest & increased violent crime) grabbing everything in sight.
2) Basically, US ammo manufacturing is controlled by only two consortiums that have conspired to limit distribution to artificially create bare shelves, then raise prices while letting stocks trickle back to the retailers.

39 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

The general consensus I see on the gun boards about the causes of the ammo shortage center around two things...

1) Panic-buying hoarders, plus millions of first time gun buyers (prompted by civil unrest & increased violent crime) grabbing everything in sight.
2) Basically, US ammo manufacturing is controlled by only two consortiums that have conspired to limit distribution to artificially create bare shelves, then raise prices while letting stocks trickle back to the retailers.

1)Yes

2) No

I believe the ammo manufacturers are blowing and going as strong as they can with whatever components/raw materials they are able to get.  The market is wide open right now for what ever the mfr's can make.  Doesn't matter, steel shotgun shells, 22lr, 30-06, 6.5 manbun. Whatever it is, it gets sold immediately.  Except for 350 Legend.  WhoTF has a gun in that caliber?

4 hours ago, davidg said:

1)Yes

2) No

I believe the ammo manufacturers are blowing and going as strong as they can with whatever components/raw materials they are able to get.  The market is wide open right now for what ever the mfr's can make.  Doesn't matter, steel shotgun shells, 22lr, 30-06, 6.5 manbun. Whatever it is, it gets sold immediately.  Except for 350 Legend.  WhoTF has a gun in that caliber?

Agree completely.  Also lol at manbun. Lol x2 at 350 legend.  Been completely stocked on the shelves around here since day 1.  

Not at all trying to make this political, but I do think it is an accurate observation to say that there are some parties in power in the federal government right now who think it is a good thing that ammo is harder to find and acquire and who are actively working to make it even harder.

Hunter Biden stole mah bullets!!
  • Haha 1

Academy in Amarillo had 9mm as well, they do have a 4 box limit. They had a bunch of 28G shotgun shells, $13/box.

Man we’re $14 on 28’s here. They did have a pretty robust selection in rifle ammo today. Picked up some 150g .308 core lokts for first time in well over a 18 months. Also, 4-5 selections for 300BO, 22-250, and even some 25-06.
afc29c83ed0a25d6bca847bd0dce2a68.jpg

3e4c947e91fd12c32912d10f1f47141b.jpg

1549ebd4c08991573bab8ae4f3a68df9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man we’re $14 on 28’s here. They did have a pretty robust selection in rifle ammo today. Picked up some 150g .308 core lokts for first time in well over a 18 months. Also, 4-5 selections for 300BO, 22-250, and even some 25-06.
afc29c83ed0a25d6bca847bd0dce2a68.jpg

3e4c947e91fd12c32912d10f1f47141b.jpg

1549ebd4c08991573bab8ae4f3a68df9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much what the Academy at 290/99 looked like yesterday.

And of course they have a shit ton of 350 Legend.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

And of course they have a shit ton of 350 Legend.

350 Legend, 450BM, and 224VK shooters don’t even know there is a shortage.  Good to know about the 290/99 store, I stop by once every 2 weeks or so when I go into the office and they never have anything. At all. Y’all have some shooters that live up that way. 

Edited by fattyflattie

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

How much for the 30-30’s? I didn’t even look for those.  I have to many rifles, if that’s even possible.  My two favorite everyday calibers would be the 22-250 and the 30-30, kill everything that needs killin.

~24.99 iirc for the Winchester’s.  I bought a few boxes on monarch to try out a month or so ago for $21.   There was only 2 boxes of 22-250, I grabbed one.  I forgot to mention about but they did have 2 types of 6.5, which I haven’t seen in a good while.  I should have been stacking 300BO this whole time knowing one day I’d end up with one for the kid.  I grab a box whenever I go in now that I’ve got one in the mail.  In fact other than the core lokts at $27, the rest of those are all 24-25/box. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Midway just sent me a flyer for factory second bullets.  Just look at wad cutting 9/40 looks like you could really save some $$$ there.  Lots of rifle stuff available in packages of 1000, pistol stuff in packages of 100.  What I assume is good pricing for range ammo for you reloaders.

Norma shooting.com for 9mm.

So I think I'll put this here. I got a Guns & Ammo issue with a 28ga auto shotgun on the cover. Is it possible that the gun industry is totally tone deaf to its customer base? I haven't seen a box of 28ga shells on a shelf more than once in the past two years. Gun owners simply cannot go out and shoot like they did before the shortage. Regardless; the industry continues to promote new, even more rare or hard-to-get products. Seems like there's a major gulf between marketing goals and customer base reality.

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

So I think I'll put this here. I got a Guns & Ammo issue with a 28ga auto shotgun on the cover. Is it possible that the gun industry is totally tone deaf to its customer base? I haven't seen a box of 28ga shells on a shelf more than once in the past two years. Gun owners simply cannot go out and shoot like they did before the shortage. Regardless; the industry continues to promote new, even more rare or hard-to-get products. Seems like there's a major gulf between marketing goals and customer base reality.

There’s quite a bit of it on the shelves in Texas, and a bunch of posts on the gun owners thread talking about adding them to the collection. Im thinking of buying one (two actually, sxs and sa) because 410 is so damn hard to get now and expensive.  I’ve been doing all this years quail hunting with 410 but when I’m out, I’m out, and it’s 35-50$/box on gun broker. 28g is 13-14$/box here and plentiful. 

Out of all of my guns, if I could only keep one of them it would be that .22. It’s such a quality rifle and the sentimental piece coming from my parents. Need to look up my SN and see when it was manufactured.  Looks like Winchester built the 9422 staring in 1972 an stopped in 2005. Mine is an XTR as well, those were only produced for about 11 years, 1978-1989.  I’m sure you @Armybrat already know all of this.

30 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Starting to look for shotgun shells. 20 gauge very hard to come by except in slugs. The academy above had boxes of Monarch but I generally consider them a trash brand only good enough to run through my AK. Their shotgun shells any good or nah?

What are you trying to do with them?  They'll probably go boom, but might be a bit dirty like the cheap Rios.  Need 410 to start trickling back out in a bad way. 

12 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Starting to look for shotgun shells. 20 gauge very hard to come by except in slugs. The academy above had boxes of Monarch but I generally consider them a trash brand only good enough to run through my AK. Their shotgun shells any good or nah?

Monarchs are dirty, but they'll work. 

You can find plenty of other brands online for mail order (ie Ammoseek) but it will be more expensive, even if you can find free shipping. 

This isn't a terrible deal for the past 24 months for a decent shell for skeet, but with shipping it would still be about $3 more per box than the Monarch.

702850012_ScreenShot2022-02-07at10_28_05.thumb.png.b8736f3f76c1bf6e48197e9918fe56ae.png

Here is the Ammoseek link:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/20-gauge

One thing to keep in mind is that Bass Pro / Cabelas very rarely updates their store inventory online anymore, and they don't sell stuff mail order anymore either, but I've heard that they are getting in-store inventory now for decent prices. Same as Walmart. You just have to take the time to go and look for it in person. 

• Like 1