AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Ranch friend has a pair of .17 bolt guns.   There is not another round on the planet that it is more perfect for thinning out stock tank turtles at distance.   

Are those the .17 rem or another .17?  I know there are other versions of the .17 and it’s gets confusing trying to tell the dudes at the gun counter what I’m looking for. They always try and ring up the .17 hmr or the .17 fireball. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I found some Federal Premium .308 Win. in Nosler Partition at a local gun store this week. I was beginning to think Nosler Partitions were a myth, a ghost, like Jordan Shipley.

Now I’m not sure what I’ll shoot on my elk hunt, those or some Terminal Ascent I also picked up. Both shoot pretty tight groups. It’s hard to tell which is better since I’m not exactly a sniper. Not even a hand loader. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

14 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I found some Federal Premium .308 Win. in Nosler Partition at a local gun store this week. I was beginning to think Nosler Partitions were a myth, a ghost, like Jordan Shipley.

Now I’m not sure what I’ll shoot on my elk hunt, those or some Terminal Ascent I also picked up. Both shoot pretty tight groups. It’s hard to tell which is better since I’m not exactly a sniper. Not even a hand loader. 

Don't think there's a wrong choice with either, especially since you say both shoot well in your rifle. You don't say what the bullet weights are. They are both premium bullets that should penetrate. The Terminal Ascent will have a higher BC, but won't make a difference unless you're shooting long range.

First I've heard of Terminal Ascent. It looks like a next gen of the Trophy Bonded Tipped bullet which is a tipped derivative of the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw -- Solid shank/bonded front. Good bullet and I see it is 175 grains ... good weight. If going with the Partition, I'd prefer 165 to 180 gr for elk. 165 is a sweet spot for .308 Win. Not that 150 wouldn't get it done in a partition, but would prefer a little more sectional density for elk.

My $.02 and worth what you paid for it.

Good hunting.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

Don't think there's a wrong choice with either, especially since you say both shoot well in your rifle. You don't say what the bullet weights are. They are both premium bullets that should penetrate. The Terminal Ascent will have a higher BC, but won't make a difference unless you're shooting long range.

First I've heard of Terminal Ascent. It looks like a next gen of the Trophy Bonded Tipped bullet which is a tipped derivative of the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw -- Solid shank/bonded front. Good bullet and I see it is 175 grains ... good weight. If going with the Partition, I'd prefer 165 to 180 gr for elk. 165 is a sweet spot for .308 Win. Not that 150 wouldn't get it done in a partition, but would prefer a little more sectional density for elk.

My $.02 and worth what you paid for it.

Good hunting.

NP are 180 grain, TA are 175. I also have 165 grain Trophy Bonded Tip that I was originally going to use until I found the Terminal Ascent. Everything I’ve read from reputable sources about the TA is very positive. The general consensus is that Federal has expanded the effective range.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/federal-terminal-ascent-hunting-bullet/377516 

Petersens, American Hunter, American Rifleman….

The land I’m hunting is adjacent to parkland, so any shot I have would likely be 250-300 max, unless I want to chance a meeting with a park ranger and game warden. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

SG Ammo doing some good with the new Winchester 25% rebate.

I've seen them do this before, and they offer packages or amounts designed to squeeze every penny possible out of the offer Winchester puts out........even going so far as to include whatever UPC code is required and tape it to the containers on some of the stuff they package in cans.

Winchester Rebate / SGAmmo.com

• Hook 'Em 2

You boys ever go to Atwood's? They usually have a great selection of ammo including some "hard to find" ammo. For me that is 6.5 Grendel. Granted, the one I frequent doesn't have it every time I go in, but it has it often enough. And it is cheaper than Academy and other places. I recently got some Hornady Black in 6.5 Grendel at Academy for $29.99. Last time I got it at Atwood's it was $24.99. If you are ever near one, go check them out.

• 5 months later...

Interesting info on potential pricing changes - or not - coming out of shot show.

Thank you for subscribing to the SGAmmo.com newsletter. If you have trouble viewing this email you can see the newsletter at this link: Ammo Deals & News From Shotshow @ SGAmmo

News from Shotshow 2024: I just got home from 4 days in Las Vegas at the shotshow, where I met with the people from the factories we work with, factory sales people, factory directors and owners, importers, etc. The big point of discussion seemed to be shortness in supply for nitrocellulose, which is the raw material used to make gunpowder and other propellants and explosives. Based on these conversations, the issue seems to be based on 2 factors, decreased availability in the supply chain and increased demand for the manufacturing of military ordnance. Getting into the details and a little more, a huge percentage of the nitrocellulose used to make gunpowder historically came from China and Russia, however according to my conversations with industry partners, the Chinese manufacturers who historically were the biggest suppliers at over 30% of the market share are no longer willing to ship raw nitrocellulose to the USA or NATO member countries in attempt to reduce the USA & NATO's ability to supply Ukrainian forces with artillery shells, and of course Russia who historically was the 2nd biggest supplier is out of the supply chain as well. This decrease in supply in raw material has gunpowder manufacturers in the USA raising prices dramatically and cutting off many of the smaller ammo manufacturers. The 2nd part of this issue is the demand for military ordnance, like 155mm artillery shells that use huge quantities gunpowder propellants, and the gunpowder manufacturers switching production to this type of gunpowder with what supply of nitrocellulose they do get. The first reason is that they always put the US government's needs before those of the commercial market, and the second reason is that it is simply much more profitable to manufacturer military ordnance than it is small caliber ammunition, so they get a much more profitable price manufacturing powder for artillery shells. In conclusion, while most of  the factories seem to have gunpowder stockpiled today, this issue is expected to catch up to them no later than the summer of 2024 and possibly within a few months, and when it does it will mean the factories will be capable of producing much less small caliber ammunition to sell to the US commercial market. If demand for ammo is low to moderate, you may not see a big change, but if demand were to go way up as it does periodically, the factories will not be able to ramp up capacity to fill that demand. In my opinion, a lot could go wrong in the commercial ammo supply chain in 2024 and it would be wise to stock up sooner than later as 2024 price increases have just started to set in on just a handful of select items so far, and availability is still good which has held prices down temporarily.

At SGAmmo, we have the best selection of high quality ammunition you will find anywhere online, and at competitive prices.  If you have some spare time please take a few minutes and look over the online catalog at www.SGAmmo.comwhere you can see all the products we have to offer. We also have free shipping on any order with over $200 worth of product, making for a more straight forward transaction without expensive surprises in checkout. You can mix and match different products to get to the $200 threshold for free shipping, so feel free to take your time and shop the website for anything you might need.  We also set the bar for quality packaging in the industry, and double box all case orders free of charge to make sure your purchase arrives in the best possible condition. We want you to be satisfied with a hassle-free transaction by receiving the goods ordered as pictured and described, in good condition, quickly and efficiently. Due to the current unstable market conditions, we guarantee our newsletter pricing for 48 hours from the time it was sent or while supplies last. We thank you for your support of our family owned and operated business, please stay subscribed for future SGAmmo newsletters. 

Thank you, Sam Gabbert, SGAmmo Owner”

• Like 1

I have a ton of 40 I need to post somewhere.  It's all FMJ and in ammo cans I moved them to when I moved last time to make it easier.  Sold my 40s and standardized on 9.  

Anyone know a good place?  Here?

Where are you? Sit on that shit.

I’ve been meaning to post something similar to above and expected the nitrocellulose shortage to hit us last year.

Buy ammo now. Start today.
  • Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Where are you? Sit on that shit.

I’ve been meaning to post something similar to above and expected the nitrocellulose shortage to hit us last year.

Buy ammo now. Start today.

I am, and I did.

Case of 5.56 for starters.

I have a ton of 40 I need to post somewhere.  It's all FMJ and in ammo cans I moved them to when I moved last time to make it easier.  Sold my 40s and standardized on 9.  

Anyone know a good place?  Here?

I need to do something with my 40s as well. Probably 200 rounds that I don’t shoot since I went to a 9 mil and they are getting dusty. All hollow point.

Reminder to buy ammo.

I heard we were looking at up to 40% price increases by end of year.

Not sure what will happen but we’re already starting to find alternative sources of powder and it’s challenging.

Ammo in the system now at distributors won’t be affected.

Some gun stores have started planning for this - buying and holding.

Large artillery shells are taking priority.

This is what Ive heard.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a box of Remington FMJ 300 BLK at Academy the other day for $30.  $1.50 per round is whack.  Ordered 500 rounds of Wolf 300 BLK from TargetSportsUSA.com for $378.61 shipped.  That's a little better.

36 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Bought a box of Remington FMJ 300 BLK at Academy the other day for $30.  $1.50 per round is whack.  Ordered 500 rounds of Wolf 300 BLK from TargetSportsUSA.com for $378.61 shipped.  That's a little better.

300BLK has been high. I picked up 2 lowers yesterday that are eventually going to be SBR 300’s. When the guy asked and I told him, he just said “whew, those ammo prices”.   

I hate wolf.

Look at PSA AAC stuff - it’s not bad at all and you can get vmax loads for about that price.

Vmax is a great sd round in 300BO. It was designed as a varmint round for 308 but at the slower 300BO speeds it doesn’t fragment near as quickly.

It’s my go to.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, saw the AAC stuff after I had placed my order and already got a shipping notification. I shoot Wolf 308 and 223 all the time without issue. The first two rounds in my mags are good hunting rounds followed by 28 rounds of FMJ for the runners. 

Edited by cabowabo