AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

47 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I don't think they are frangible.  I think its just a polymer coating that is supposed to reduce wear and minimize fouling in your barrel.  They make a 150gr load that is subsonic, that is the only one I have shot.  Looking back to my last order I paid .26 a round delivered in June of 2019.  Currently SGAmmo has the 147gr in stock for .50/round before tax and shipping.

They did indicate that they are dedicated training rounds, designed to "come apart" and minimize splash back on steel targets?  I'm not too picky right now either way, and ammo is ammo....;)

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh, I know all too well.  Back in my younger days I was a club fitter at the Golfsmith in Austin.  It was both fun and funny working with these guys that had no real idea what they were talking about but had obviously read the day before in Golf Digest.  

Fellow Golfsmith Austin employee here for a hot second in 2007. I was at 35 & Braker...Went by Golf Galaxy in the Arboretum a few weeks and 2 guys that I worked with actually work there now. "Coach" was one them, I feel like there's a good chance you'd at least know who he was.

Edited by BayouBill

3 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

Fellow Golfsmith Austin employee here for a hot second in 2007. I was at 35 & Braker...Went by Golf Galaxy in the Arboretum a few weeks and 2 guys that I worked with actually work there now. "Coach" was one them, I feel like there's a good chance you'd at least know who he was.

Same location.  Man, you're a pup.  I was there in the late 90's.  I do remember getting shit faced drunk one night with a buddy.  We drove to the complex, went to the range outside, walked out onto the field and started hitting balls back at the bays.  Then after a few loud clangs, figured this was not our brightest hour, and wound up at the "Landing Strip".  This was a week day, so the B-teamer with big flapjacks got off stage and took our drink orders.

I worked back where all the propriety Golfsmith parts were in bins, near the back but close to the little cafeteria that they had.  Served fairly decent brekfast 

Yes, this place

1*A1EftV--DTxReiYF958zNw.gif

landing-strip-1024x573-1.jpg?resize=640,

• Hook 'Em 1

Seeing a lot of Wolf in 300 BO.
I’ve only used Hornady Sub X and SST. Probably going back to using ~110-130 grain with my can.
any feedback is welcome on Wolf.

Hornady 110 vmax coming back in stock online for 22-24 a box. Usually 18-21.

I have a lot of vmax. I prefer gmx 110 for hogs

Gmx is more expensive

Keep looking. Pass on the Wolf.
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 8:11 AM, BabaYaga said:

Oh, I know all too well.  Back in my younger days I was a club fitter at the Golfsmith in Austin.  It was both fun and funny working with these guys that had no real idea what they were talking about but had obviously read the day before in Golf Digest.  

When my oldest son was in high school he worked at Golfsmith on 35 south of Braker.
for a couple of summers. Club fitter and also managed the range one summer. 1984-85.

IIRC, back then the range was on Kramer.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Yeah still pricy. It may be a good sign….Let’s hope.

Academy is killing it on ammo stock - everyone else not so much.

I was in there today for something else and stopped by the ammo aisle and saw a lot of 5.56 and 9mm. More than I was expecting to see, TBH. 

Shotgun shells are still inadequate. Lots of cheaper brands in #7.5 and #8 though, but nothing really great. There was a time when Academy and their free shipping was the lowest cost source for my monthly multiple flats of #9 AA's. I miss those days. 

There's an Academy 1 mile from my house.  2 Fridays ago, they had a full wall of 223/556, 9mm and various other rifle rounds and 4 pallets of shotgun shells.  I found a 1k round box of Fed M855 that was $670 but thats too high.  Ended up with a flat of shotgun shells and some bullets for reloading.  Went back this past Friday and they were down to 2 pallets and about half of the other ammo was gone.

I take State Hwy 90 from Navasota to Madisionville to head up to Dads or our ranch and there is a little gunshop just north of Anderson that is loaded with ammo.  Lots of different rifle and pistol calibers.  Definitely stop off if headed through that way.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

I take State Hwy 90 from Navasota to Madisionville to head up to Dads or our ranch and there is a little gunshop just north of Anderson that is loaded with ammo.  Lots of different rifle and pistol calibers.  Definitely stop off if headed through that way.

Totally off topic but I love that road. Beautiful country and Anderson and Bedias are pretty little towns. I wish I had some land in that area. 

11 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

59/Kirby Academy yesterday was very well stocked when I popped in at lunch. Had plenty of pistol rounds, shotgun shells, and various rifle calibers. Grabbed a box of .270 for $25. Still have yet to see any .243 at any point in the past year.

Midway has been pretty solid on 243. I’ve bought about 10 boxes over the last year from them. Reasonable on price. 

Here is the ammo room just now at the World Skeet Shoot in San Antonio. No idea about prices because I brought my own. 

This is kind of sparse compared to past years, but then again, a year ago they were saying that they had almost none to sell and people could bring factory extras on-site to sell if they wanted to.

The parking lot is also back to being full and on-site registration never opened because they filled up all the slots online last week. 

E29581A4-EB54-43AB-AB4C-CA26A39279E3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
Here is the ammo room just now at the World Skeet Shoot in San Antonio. No idea about prices because I brought my own. 

This is kind of sparse compared to past years, but then again, a year ago they were saying that they had almost none to sell and people could bring factory extras on-site to sell if they wanted to.
The parking lot is also back to being full and on-site registration never opened because they filled up all the slots online last week. 
E29581A4-EB54-43AB-AB4C-CA26A39279E3.thumb.jpeg.cc43f5e8df90c56042934f48fd706527.jpeg
Do you have a decent online source for flats of AAs right now? Before I go down the Google rabbit hole...

On 9/14/2021 at 9:30 AM, davidg said:

There's an Academy 1 mile from my house.  2 Fridays ago, they had a full wall of 223/556, 9mm and various other rifle rounds and 4 pallets of shotgun shells.  I found a 1k round box of Fed M855 that was $670 but thats too high.  Ended up with a flat of shotgun shells and some bullets for reloading.  Went back this past Friday and they were down to 2 pallets and about half of the other ammo was gone.

I’m staring at 4 different manufacturers with 1k round cases for $498 before tax and ship

On 10/27/2021 at 8:50 PM, bigshark88 said:
On 10/1/2021 at 5:16 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

E29581A4-EB54-43AB-AB4C-CA26A39279E3.thumb.jpeg.cc43f5e8df90c56042934f48fd706527.jpeg

Do you have a decent online source for flats of AAs right now? Before I go down the Google rabbit hole...

Nope, just email alerts set on ammoseek. For the longest time I said Academy up until last year. 

28GA was available for a while and I stocked up. I found some flats of 20GA at SGammo a couple of weeks ago and snapped them all up, too.

I need 12GA and 410 terribly. 

No shit there’s none available if you’re  buying it by the case!

I hit academy this morning and picked up a couple of WWB 9mm 100ct for $36ea and a few misc packs of Hornady bullets for reloading.  Was standing in fron the the Hornady display and another dude walked up the counter and asked for powered (they didn’t have any) and then asked for primers.  WTF? When did they start holding that shit back.  Came away with 4 sleeves of CCI large pistol.  Gonna head back in the morning and see if they have any more.

28 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Registered skeet and sporting clays is a damn expensive hobby. One consumes a lot of ammo after he gets hooked. 

Well, that and the flights to Italy to be fitted for a new P…

I would enjoy the shit out of it but have stayed away for that precise reason.
When I was hitting it pretty hard, it was still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies like the bar.  Of course we used to hit the bar afterwards for some post contest discussion.   But it’s still cheaper than other hobbies.  Competition target shooting, chasing golden fish with a spot on their tail, etc. 

Edited by fattyflattie

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

When I was hitting it pretty hard, it was still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies like the bar.  Of course we used to hit the bar afterwards for some post contest discussion.   But it’s still cheaper than other hobbies.  Competition target shooting, chasing golden fish with a spot on their tail, etc. 

I've stayed out of bars for nearly 25 years, but cost wasn't much of a factor in the final analysis.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I never got to go to Italy and get fitted. 😢

They just made it to my existing measurements. 

But now I think I might need a new P gun someday in the future… 😁

1 hour ago, davidg said:

No shit there’s none available if you’re  buying it by the case!

I hit academy this morning and picked up a couple of WWB 9mm 100ct for $36ea and a few misc packs of Hornady bullets for reloading.  Was standing in fron the the Hornady display and another dude walked up the counter and asked for powered (they didn’t have any) and then asked for primers.  WTF? When did they start holding that shit back.  Came away with 4 sleeves of CCI large pistol.  Gonna head back in the morning and see if they have any more.

The regs on Black Powder are tight enough that almost nobody carries it, And it's a $37 hazmat fee for each shipment when a pound costs anywhere from about $16 to $28 depending on the brand and grade.  You pretty much have to order it in bulk.

Is loading your own ammunition worth it and too much a pain? I was looking at doing it but wondering if it is worth my time.

Right now is not a great time. Components are sky high and often tough to get. Dialing in loads takes time. You’ll save a little per round, but the cost to get you there isn’t worth it right now.

Just my opinion.

Reloading makes sense when:

- You do it for a shooting related hobby

- You are competitively shooting pistol/carbine/clays

- You are wanting to wring the last bit of accuracy out of a rifle

If any of these sound like you, go for it but don’t go into it expecting that you will save a bunch of money on ammo.  You can reload cheaper on a per round basis but you will either shoot a bunch more or stockpile a bunch of components and equipment so you will ultimately spend more.  

Also ….

As I mentioned previously in another thread, I'm starting to reload #9 410 ammo for clays because there's hardly any available and what is out there is EXTREMELY expensive.

Right now on Ammoseek #9 410 is running for about $1.65 per round. Considering that one afternoon of skeet competition is 100 rounds, that is really expensive.

With the reloading components I have in inventory right now, the three recipes I can currently make (depending on primer/powder combinations) are 42 cents, 36 cents, and 31 cents per round. The single stage press was $300, so even with my most expensive load I still paid it off with less than 10 boxes (i.e. one flat). 

Primers are the bottleneck for reloading at the moment but I now have enough primers in stock to make 36 flats of 410 if needed, so I'm in good shape for a while. 

All that being said, this math only works for #9 410 because a.) it's hard to find many 410 #9 loads anyway, and b.) 410 factory loads are very expensive at the moment and have historically been more expensive than other loads for some reason, even though c.) the shell is smaller and therefore uses smaller quantities of powder and shot, thus reducing the cost per shell. 

If I devoted my components to making #9 12 gauge, those would be 52 cents per round, which is exactly what is on Ammoseek right now for factory loads. 

So, this is a long winded way of answering, "It depends on what you are reloading". Some loads make sense, some don't. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Also, as a minor aside, I find it a little bit humorous on some of the shotgun messaging boards how guys are complaining about the cost of factory loads but then declaring that "I'd never pay that much for [reloading component]" even when the cost of reloading is still cheaper than the factory price.

Many are convinced that availability is about to improve and prices are coming down, which is probably true, but even if we get more normal supply, prices ain't going back to 2018 levels, either. Inflation is here and it's not going anywhere.