AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

Hard to get into the business without primers.  Plenty of regular Joe’s have become resellers of personal stock, but no new manufacturers to speak of.

Hell, in January and February prices were at multi year lows and there was a glut of supply.

Edited by Reagan1k

On 11/3/2020 at 5:04 PM, BurntEyes said:

Long story short, I've hoarded ammo for about 10 years. Mostly due to shooting competitions, cowboy action, and training classes. When it's not unusual to go through 1000-1500 in a weekend well, you become a hoarder. 

I had way too much 380, it's a long story, and shoot way less Cowboy these days which left me with an over abundance of 38 spc LFN and 380 (all types).

In a happy ammo price issue/availability story my LGS owner called me and asked what I had that I could part with.

I took a couple of ammo cans and funded at $60 per pack of 50, entirely, my CMMG banshee 300 9mm. The lead time on those is 6 months right now BTW.

Thought on election day I'd humble brag share a cool story bro.

Not me.  No ammo here at all.

No weapons either.

Just lurking.

So, is anyone doing any reloading right now?  I dug my reloading stuff out of storage back before thanksgiving and have spent the last two weeks going through and sorting buckets of brass, tumbling and getting ready for a loading run.  I’ve got a Hornady LocknLoad auto progressive that I bought back when I was shooting IDPA regularly but never ran any loads through it.  I’ve got it indexed well and it looks like everything is good to go.

First up, about 1500 40 S&W with 180grn Berry’s FlatPoint plated bullets.  Then 1k or so of 9mm with 115grn RN Berry’s.   

On 12/22/2020 at 10:13 PM, fattyflattie said:

Picked up 3 boxes of .410 tonight. Figured I’d get the oldest started on a shotgun soon.   I’ve been needing to add a 28ga to the safe forever, and there’s tons of it on the shelf. Wish I already had one. Only other thing they had in stock (aside from 12ga) was .222. 

I’m bidding on a pre-64 .257 Bob next month at auction and am blaming it on (my excuse to my wife) the fact that I keep seeing boxes of that on the self and nothing else (like that .222 you saw).

Fantastic rationalization on my part. 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I’m bidding on a pre-64 .257 Bob next month at auction and am blaming it on (my excuse to my wife) the fact that I keep seeing boxes of that on the self and nothing else (like that .222 you saw).

Fantastic rationalization on my part. 

I have an old FN 98 Mauser in 257 Roberts I love. It was my upgrade from .223 when I turned 11

I’m looking for normal/reasonable pricing (28-35 cents per) on quality 9mm in bulk and potentially 22LR. I don’t need immediately; 2 to 3 months is fine.

What sites do you recommend for setting up alerts or buying back order? Any other strategies that don’t involve driving around blindly?

Your probably not going to find it at that price.

GT almost always has some 9mm in stock.

22lr you can find online. I saw an 800 pack the other day for $99.99. Not horrible considering the times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m looking for normal/reasonable pricing (28-35 cents per) on quality 9mm in bulk and potentially 22LR. I don’t need immediately; 2 to 3 months is fine.

What sites do you recommend for setting up alerts or buying back order? Any other strategies that don’t involve driving around blindly?

Put in your time M,W,F mornings in line at an Academy is probably the best way to buy at normal prices. I’ve seen some 9mm and 45 recently into the afternoon at a couple of them when they get in big shipments.

Your probably not going to find it at that price.

GT almost always has some 9mm in stock.

22lr you can find online. I saw an 800 pack the other day for $99.99. Not horrible considering the times.

There are places like Optics Planet that sells it at those prices but they generally suck at not cancelling your order.

How much is 9mm at GTs? I can find it at The Range but it’s outrageously priced at $35 a box for Federal.

Put in your time M,W,F mornings in line at an Academy is probably the best way to buy at normal prices. I’ve seen some 9mm and 45 recently into the afternoon at a couple of them when they get in big shipments.

I’ve done that before but can’t get significant quantities that way unless you score a bucket of Winchester white.

There are places like Optics Planet that sells it at those prices but they generally suck at not cancelling your order.

How much is 9mm at GTs? I can find it at The Range but it’s outrageously priced at $35 a box for Federal.

Correct on optics planet.

Gt had some around $15/box the other day. Sometimes it’s brass sometimes steel but it doesn’t matter right now. Might have been $13.95 actually.

Just gave 100 rounds each of .380 to my twin grandkids to go with the new pocket pistols (Ruger LCP & Remington RM380) I gIfted them.
Gave 200 rounds of 9mm to one of my sons to go with the new Ruger SR9 I gifted him today.  
Also gave 50 rounds of 9mm each to my other son & his wife for the pistols they were gifted several years ago (Ruger Sr9 & S&W Shield).

5 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Correct on optics planet.

Gt had some around $15/box the other day. Sometimes it’s brass sometimes steel but it doesn’t matter right now. Might have been $13.95 actually.

Is GT still limiting ammo purchases to once a month? I haven't been by since Thanksgiving break so I guess its time to go back regardless. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I texted a friend of mine today with this pic, bemoaning all the empty ammo shelves.

F0-B55-B86-5-A7-C-4662-B0-C3-78-F5-B4-E9

He knew I had s as .45 and  texted back that he traded his .45 recently and had a couple of boxes of Black Talon I could have. I’m really looking for target rounds, but I’ll take a couple of boxes of those nasty fuckers. 

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I texted a friend of mine today with this pic, bemoaning all the empty ammo shelves.

He knew I had s as .45 and  texted back that he traded his .45 recently and had a couple of boxes of Black Talon I could have. I’m really looking for target rounds, but I’ll take a couple of boxes of those nasty fuckers. 

Have you seen what collectors are paying for Black Talon?  There is a cult following for those old rounds.  

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Where are you finding all that ammo?   There was literally (like for real literally, I counted) 6 boxes of .450 BM last time I was at academy.  And that was it.  6 boxes. 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Where are you finding all that ammo?   There was literally (like for real literally, I counted) 6 boxes of .450 BM last time I was at academy.  And that was it.  6 boxes. 

I’m in SD.  I saw an ad for the sporting goods department of a local grocery store that claimed they had the largest inventory of ammo in the area. The other shelves were just as empty with 7mm being the closest thing to a common caliber that was in stock. Their handgun collection was pretty wiped out, too.

The friend I mentioned in the earlier post says he stocked up a few months ago and might spare me some boxes next time I’m in the Black Hills where he lives. I think he may have a connection at Black Hills Ammo, so he might get some direct from their factory.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 4:46 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’m in SD.  I saw an ad for the sporting goods department of a local grocery store that claimed they had the largest inventory of ammo in the area. The other shelves were just as empty with 7mm being the closest thing to a common caliber that was in stock. Their handgun collection was pretty wiped out, too.

The friend I mentioned in the earlier post says he stocked up a few months ago and might spare me some boxes next time I’m in the Black Hills where he lives. I think he may have a connection at Black Hills Ammo, so he might get some direct from their factory.

7mmMag is what I am finding right now. I got these boxes for $37 today, about the same price as pre-SHTF prices. It is a pretty common caliber in these parts, local gun store. They had about 16 boxes, but didn't want to be the asshole that cleaned them out:

7mag.png

A lot of calibers left for guns that are rare in my area, .280, .35 Whalen,  .338 Lapua, .220 swift, .44 Marlin, a lot I can't remember.

CHIEF

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 2:46 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I'm in "SD" too.  In my case, San Diego.  I went into a "Big 5" the other day, and noticed that the shelves were empty.  My first reaction was "they quit selling ammo".  Then, I noticed 3 lonely boxes on the shelf.  .45 Long Colt.  That was it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm in "SD" too.  In my case, San Diego.  I went into a "Big 5" the other day, and noticed that the shelves were empty.  My first reaction was "they quit selling ammo".  Then, I noticed 3 lonely boxes on the shelf.  .45 Long Colt.  That was it. 

I guess SDSU means something different to you. 

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Academy at spring green in fulshear has about a dozen boxes of 12 ga Rem Target loads. 1-1/8 #8 3dr.  $6.99 as of 1600 today. 

Tried to edit but didn’t make it in time.  Academy at Harlem/99 also has a dozen or so of the same, plus a small assortment of turkey loads.   Guy behind desk approached me and told me the only chance is be there at 0500 and prepare for “Black Friday”.  Said it’s still 3x a week, they are still getting lots of ammo in each shipment, but same guys keep grabbing it all up. At this point I would assume it’s being mostly just resold online for large profit.   

• Like 1