AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

47 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Dang. Was handling my great grandfathers 30-30 the other day and realized the only ammo I have at moment is a ~50 year old box of Peters 150gr.    

Those two boxes I bought can go for a lot more online, $10-$20. Crazy.

The last box of standard grade I bought at Academy two years ago was $16.95, and I thought that was outrageous.

All four boxes in the pic are for one of my sons birthday next month. The only .30-30 I have left is this 1894 Winchester made in 1917. It is still solid & tight and has a decent bore, but no finish left.  I do not plan to shoot it.

1DF5F99F-E331-4879-8A3D-98A24E2D76B7.jpeg

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Brat's pic didn't load.  Shocking.   

Am I the only guy that thinks Marlin 30-30s are actually better than Winchesters?

I understand the authentic deal, but the side eject is so much better. 

Dunno why my 1894 didn’t post.

No, you are not the only guy who thinks that.
The Marlin is a superior design than the Winchester. The first .30-30 I bought new was a Marlin 336 in 1968 and is now owned by my middle son (who will receive those two boxes of Win. ammo for his birthday next month).

Yes it is because it allows for easy optic mounting.... and case ejection to the side instead of on top of the shooter’s head.

20 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Any of you that run 300blk, what was the usual CPR pre covid/shortage?  Want a Sig Rattler but don’t want to spend 1k on 500 rounds of subs either. 

I'm not sure when or if we will ever get back to these prices, but I went back and looked........

That was bulk pricing on-line.  

1/29/2020     200 Round Case - 300 Blackout 150 Grain Jacketed Soft Point Federal Ammo - 300BLKB  $139.50 + $12.00 Shipping

12/13/2019     Sig Sauer Elite Performance 300 Blackout 125gr FMJ Ammo - 20 Rounds $14.50

01/01/2020       200 Round Can - 300 Blackout 110 Grain V-Max Hornady Ammo - 80876  $109.50 + $12.00 Shipping

01/01/2020       1000 Round Case - 300 AAC Blackout Subsonic 200 Grain FMJ Magtech Ammo - $479.60 + $25.00 Shipping

Subs with expanding bullets were more obviously.

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

Brat,
As as owner of replica 1866 yellow boy and an 1873, I can attest to why they wore cowboy hats back then! Never go to the range with no hat or a ball cap, you just might get “hot brass” down the back of your shirt!

No kidding. Check out this dude who got a hot case down his shirt then proceeds to shoot himself through both cheeks..

https://myfox8.com/news/video-man-accidentally-shoots-himself-in-face-at-gun-range/

9 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I was shooting in the desert, and a hot .22 ejected and stuck to my sweaty neck.  Burned the fuck out of me. 

I was shooting at Hot Wells one day during lunch and had one bounce off the rabbit wire separators and catch between my eyebrow and shooting glasses. Dropped the pistol on the bench and started clawing at my eyes.  Had a nice burned imprint for a while.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, davidg said:

I was shooting at Hot Wells one day during lunch and had one bounce off the rabbit wire separators and catch between my eyebrow and shooting glasses. Dropped the pistol on the bench and started clawing at my eyes.  Had a nice burned imprint for a while.

A .45 casing lodged between my shooting glasses & eyebrow. I flinched some, but carefully put the 1911 down on the bench, pulled the glasses off and proceeded to exhaust my 4 letter word vocabulary. The burn mark took months to fade.

Not as embarrassing as the half moon ‘scope cut on the same eyebrow I had several years earlier.

On 6/17/2021 at 9:08 PM, Gil Bang said:

Am I the only guy that thinks Marlin 30-30s are actually better than Winchesters?

Marlins are much, much better if you are talking about mounting optics.  The solid receiver and side ejection makes for a better platform.  Open sights, I "like" the Winnies better, but it's subjective.  

On 6/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, fattyflattie said:

Same. Little .22 burned the shit out me. 

Happens at some point to everyone.  Consider yourself lucky.  Buddy was in a mountain in an undisclosed location with an air-TAC guy calling in a c-130 gunship.  40mm bofors went hot.  All quiet, until a few spent casing the size of a Gatorade bottles crash near them.  Said they would split your head like a melon if you were not wearing a helmet.  With a helmet, probably just a massive concussion....;)

Heard stories of helicopters with chain guns raining down hot brass on guys under cover.  

Just fyi for everyone buying ammo.  I picked up some 9mm at Academy today.  When I picked up one box it felt light.  Well I opened it and it was only half full.  I took it over to the gun counter to let the guys know someone was probably stealing bullets out of their boxes.  So I suggest that if you are buying, check the box.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Just fyi for everyone buying ammo.  I picked up some 9mm at Academy today.  When I picked up one box it felt light.  Well I opened it and it was only half full.  I took it over to the gun counter to let the guys know someone was probably stealing bullets out of their boxes.  So I suggest that if you are buying, check the box.

What a shit move.  Come on people, have a little class.  

On 6/17/2021 at 11:08 PM, Gil Bang said:

The Marlin my Dad owns will be the only one we all fight over. 
Always preferred the Marlin pistol grip stock over the Winchester. 

I always check. Some boxes you can’t open (usually 556) but if I can I open and verify. I’ve found some boxes as well that were a little light lol

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to order several boxes of CoreLokts today on Midway.  .243 and .300 Savage.     243 was back to normal prices, or close, as best I can recall (I dont follow it to the cent) but it came out at $25/box or so.  Anyhow, trending back to normalcy I hope.  Not making the mistake of being caught with low to extremely low quantities again.  

Well - You screwed it up for the rest of us.  Just went to Midway for the .300 Savage and price is back to $40/box.  

I knew I was in trouble when i saw $25 in red and realized that was my "Savings" - $64.99 marked down to $39.99.

You must have woken up the pricing bots and they realized someone was too eager to pay $25 so they bumped it back up.

Tanks for Nutin!

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Well - You screwed it up for the rest of us.  Just went to Midway for the .300 Savage and price is back to $40/box.  

I knew I was in trouble when i saw $25 in red and realized that was my "Savings" - $64.99 marked down to $39.99.

You must have woken up the pricing bots and they realized someone was too eager to pay $25 so they bumped it back up.

Tanks for Nutin!

Well hell let me check and make sure I didn’t read it wrong.  When I looked a few weeks ago it was something like $50/box so I passed.  

I was hoping to get some reasonable .300 Sav. before the fall, and jumped when I saw the post.

I picked up a couple of Model 99's in the last year  - One .300 and one .250-3000 and was hoping to take a cull or doe with open sights this year.

At $40/box I'm still too cheap for that little nostalgic thrill.

52 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I was hoping to get some reasonable .300 Sav. before the fall, and jumped when I saw the post.

I picked up a couple of Model 99's in the last year  - One .300 and one .250-3000 and was hoping to take a cull or doe with open sights this year.

My father and I restocked an old savage 99 in 300 savage when I was a kid.  The guns had been at a gunsmiths house and the house caught fire.  Father son project deal. I’ve never shot anything with it (other than paper) so figured I might take it on some piggy excursions this year.  Cool gun, breakdown model.   The .250-3000 would be really cool. Lots of history there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Academy got a shipment (Plano off Preston).  Got three boxes of 115gr ball ammo and a box of these Federal Syntech frangible training rounds?  Anyone ever played around with them?

Supposed to have no lead fowling or barrel wear either?

KInda' want to shoot something with them like a pig and see what they do?  

212518151_9mmtraining.thumb.jpg.4f931e9d9e2969118b488511cb3d307a.jpg

Edited by BabaYaga

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

All the Weatherby, Nosler, and Lapua shooters are rolling their eyes at you right now

Raises hand. Something about those belted cartridges did it for me, and I collected them.   Also, my 6.5-06 bench gun would love $40/box.  It obviously a mental flaw, but I’m the guy who buys the PRC over the CM.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Also, my 6.5-06 bench gun would love $40/box.  It obviously a mental flaw, but I’m the guy who buys the PRC over the CM.  

Personally, I'm a huge fan on the venerable 25-06.  It's flat, fast, and hits hard.  I understand the ballistic coefficient argument (BC) and low recoil of the 6 and 6.5mm calibers.  Something, BTW the Japanese, Italians, and Finns figured out back in WWII.  Then you have the tried & true workhorse the .260 rem that has been winning medals for decades on the shooting circuit that outperforms both (if you handload)

For most shooters the calibers far outpace the shooters, meaning if you have an average shooter on a semi-long range (300-500 yds) and just give them the gun, they'd not know the difference between the 6.5 PRC and CM.  

On 7/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, fattyflattie said:

When I looked a few weeks ago it was something like $50/box so I passed.  

On 7/20/2021 at 5:20 PM, Gil Bang said:

Back up to .32.  Ugh. 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:14 AM, Reagan1k said:

On 7/16/2021 at 6:23 AM, Reagan1k said:

Somewhere, in some small town HS or JC, an economics teacher is using these examples and having a breakthrough moment with their country students on the concept of "price elasticity"

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Personally, I'm a huge fan on the venerable 25-06. 

You’re talking like I don’t have one stuffed away in the back corner of the safe.  Great cartridge, and nearly identical to my .257 wbys.  I need to dust her off this year, though not sure I have any ammo at moment.  Don’t think I’ve touched that gun in 5 years. 

Then you have the tried & true workhorse the .260 rem that has been winning medals for decades on the shooting circuit that outperforms both (if you handload)

I’ve been working on a 264 for awhile, but not at front of the line. 

For most shooters the calibers far outpace the shooters

All my rifles do this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Academy got a shipment (Plano off Preston).  Got three boxes of 115gr ball ammo and a box of these Federal Syntech frangible training rounds?  Anyone ever played around with them?

Just bought a box of these at my Academy this morning. 

This rando YouTube guy says it’s not quite frangible but because of the coating you can use steel targets without much splash back. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

On 8/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, BabaYaga said:

Looks like a smaller version of what Oddball liked to shoot out of his Sherman to "Scare the hell out of the Germans".

WOOF WOOF!!!

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Academy this past weekend had a pretty good selection of most of the common calibers and a few oddballs like 350 Legend. Less common but still popular calibers like 300 BLK where not in stock. Just an FYI for those who haven't tried looking much lately. I guess the market has slowed down enough and supply has increased enough with stuff like .22 LR, 5.56, and 9mm that they've switched to manufacturing hunting calibers with the fall coming up.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

14 hours ago, Cajun said:

This phenomenon is only surpassed by the game of golf.

Trust me on this.

Oh, I know all too well.  Back in my younger days I was a club fitter at the Golfsmith in Austin.  It was both fun and funny working with these guys that had no real idea what they were talking about but had obviously read the day before in Golf Digest.  

28 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh, I know all too well.  Back in my younger days I was a club fitter at the Golfsmith in Austin.  It was both fun and funny working with these guys that had no real idea what they were talking about but had obviously read the day before in Golf Digest.  

329-3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, BabaYaga said:

I don't think they are frangible.  I think its just a polymer coating that is supposed to reduce wear and minimize fouling in your barrel.  They make a 150gr load that is subsonic, that is the only one I have shot.  Looking back to my last order I paid .26 a round delivered in June of 2019.  Currently SGAmmo has the 147gr in stock for .50/round before tax and shipping.

• Hook 'Em 1