My dog will die tomorrow.

hundredTT

We don't deserve dogs, we might think we do but we don't even come close. So sorry for your loss, we have a little guy who showed up on our doorstep in 2013 and changed our lives forever. I'm in denial that anything will ever happen to him. Dogs are the best.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Like 2

We lost our Brit Lucy, in December. Healthy 11 year old, came home from dinner with the family, and she was laying in the middle of the floor awake but unable to move.  Raced her to the late night emergency vet 45 miles away, to find out she had some sort of internal cancer and a tumor burst and she was bleeding out,  nothing they could do.  So awful, 10 year old daughter was struck hard at losing her only pet, but also seeing her dad cry for the first  time.  

We waited until February and the hole was to big, so we now have 14 week old brit Anna Belle galloping around the house.  By far the best thing we could have done for us, especially in these pandemic times.

Good Luck, and others say, you will know when the time is right for another.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm worried my dog has anywhere from now to less than 18 months to go.  she's already 13 and beyond her expected life. Arthritis has really set in and even with the daily meds, it pains her to lie down.

I've been wondering if a new dog (maybe puppy) in the house would be of comfort to her, or would that cause stress that isn't needed right now.  Don't know.

Being home all the time now is a perfect time to get another dog used to the house, patterns, etc. 

I'm sorry you're going through this. I've been there and it sucks.

Eventually you'll be able to look back on your dog and smile and the loss won't hurt like it does now. We lost our first dog about 5 years ago and we still talk about him all the time. They may be physically gone but they will always occupy a special place in our hearts.

Take comfort in your wife and daughter. When the time is right you can get another dog which will also be great in entirely new ways. It won't replace your current dog, but you'll have many more happy dog moments in the future.

Lost mine in January.  Hardest decision, ever.  Her licking us while she went to sleep for the last time...well, whew.

So, I first found this on reddit, and I normally don't go for this style of writing.  However, in grief, it was good read.

Some of you, particularly those who think they have recently lost a dog to ‘death’, don’t really understand this. I’ve had no desire to explain, but won’t be around forever and must.

Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say: ‘No, no, not a good idea. Let’s not go for a walk.’ Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that’s what dogs are. They walk.

It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone (exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don’t teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging its tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: ‘Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.’

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it’s a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not ‘dead.’ There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. You’ve missed so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now.”

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm worried my dog has anywhere from now to less than 18 months to go.  she's already 13 and beyond her expected life. Arthritis has really set in and even with the daily meds, it pains her to lie down.

I've been wondering if a new dog (maybe puppy) in the house would be of comfort to her, or would that cause stress that isn't needed right now.  Don't know.

Being home all the time now is a perfect time to get another dog used to the house, patterns, etc. 

That's a tough question,  I have no value to add, other than my sympathy that that's a tough one.

And dogs are nothing but dogs and I know it better than most, and all this was for a queer and nervous old crossbreed that couldn’t even herd stock right. Nor was there anything humanly unique about the loss, or about the emptiness that came in the searching’s wake, which comes sooner or later to all people foolish enough to give an animal space in their lives. But if you are built to be such a fool, you are, and if the animal is to you what Blue was to me the space he leaves empty is big.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/ol-blue/

On 4/13/2020 at 10:59 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When we got Lucy as a pup my previous Britt Brandy was around 13 years old.  Brandy pretty much just ignored the pup, I think I only have one photo of them actually playing with a chew toy together.  She tolerated the pup, would share beds and food, but was not at all interested in play time and would crawl on my lap to avoid the little one.  I don't think it caused any undue stress to her, she was just to old to keep up.

My parents lost their last dog Allie a few years back. We got her when I was 15 (now 31). I think they blamed themselves for a while cause the dog had some kind of heart worms and my mom would just forget to give it medicine and had she had a cough for awhile that she put off for a long time before going to the vet.

I kept telling them to get a new dog and get out of their funk. My sister finally got one for them 4 months ago. I get calls and pictures all the time now from my parents and I can tell it’s improved their lives and the dog as well.

Dont deserve them, but they seem to live off our energy. Can’t imagine a world without dogs.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
I lost of my best friends last night. He was a cockapoo named Yogi Bear and was only 9.5 years old. We are all stunned because he was very healthy (aside from some bad teeth) and maintained high energy up until the last time I saw him mid afternoon. When we got home from picking up the kids at 5:30, my wife found him laying on our back porch, stiff with his legs extended. No evidence that he was accidentally or intentionally poisoned. No foam or vomit in his mouth. No wounds or bite/sting marks. My sister is a vet and tried to comfort us over the phone by listing off things it could be, but we are so in shock because he has never demonstrated any signs or symptoms associated with heart conditions, neurological problems, or cancer. Everyone says their dog was the sweetest, but this little guy would take the cake. Never bit or growled at a human his whole life, always a lap dog that you had to tell to quit licking you, listened to every command despite my horrible job training him. He was incredibly loving and patient with our children, usually curling up with our oldest at bed time until our son fell asleep, then he’d come jump on my bed and sleep with his head on my feet. He was my best friend and a rock of love an companionship during a period my wife and I had to live apart for work reasons, a lost job, or any time something sad or stressful happened. The house feels a lot emptier with the absence of a little 17 pound poodle mix. We are sad that our time with him was cut short (my sister had expected him to live 16-18 years based on his breed, size, and characteristics). We are most sad not knowing what killed him, if he suffered or spontaneously keeled over, and hope that he did not suffer for even a minute. I’m sorry we didn’t take you on a walk all this week. I’m sorry we never started the routine of frequent outings in the truck or to the ballfield I promised you when the human kids got a little older. I wish we could have said goodbye. We will miss you and love you always, Yogi. You were such a good dog. 

DDD2D4B0-24F6-45D4-81F5-AD117DA64274.thumb.jpeg.991b5165300e2a25977e8e372f4328db.jpeg
Man this is terrible. So sorry for your loss, dogs are the best and they deserve so much more than what we could ever give them.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Sorry for your loss. We’re going through the same thing and it sucks.

Yogi gets to live like a king in doggy heaven now.

Thanks and I hope so. He died so young and inexplicably. I honestly haven’t been seriously concerned about the reality of an afterlife until now. It would sound crazy to a non-dog owner, but we are grieving like we lost a close human family member. 
I don’t know if the 5 stages of grief are accurate or not, but I’ve been in multiple stages simultaneously. Denial it really happened, looking for someone to blame, guilt that we may have done or not done something that could have prevented whatever killed him, depression, bargaining by looking at new replacement puppies online...rough day and will be for a while. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

15 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I lost of my best friends last night. He was a cockapoo named Yogi Bear and was only 9.5 years old. We are all stunned because he was very healthy (aside from some bad teeth) and maintained high energy up until the last time I saw him mid afternoon. When we got home from picking up the kids at 5:30, my wife found him laying on our back porch, stiff with his legs extended. No evidence that he was accidentally or intentionally poisoned. No foam or vomit in his mouth. No wounds or bite/sting marks. My sister is a vet and tried to comfort us over the phone by listing off things it could be, but we are so in shock because he has never demonstrated any signs or symptoms associated with heart conditions, neurological problems, or cancer. Everyone says their dog was the sweetest, but this little guy would take the cake. Never bit or growled at a human his whole life, always a lap dog that you had to tell to quit licking you, listened to every command despite my horrible job training him. He was incredibly loving and patient with our children, usually curling up with our oldest at bed time until our son fell asleep, then he’d come jump on my bed and sleep with his head on my feet. He was my best friend and a rock of love an companionship during a period my wife and I had to live apart for work reasons, a lost job, or any time something sad or stressful happened. The house feels a lot emptier with the absence of a little 17 pound poodle mix. We are sad that our time with him was cut short (my sister had expected him to live 16-18 years based on his breed, size, and characteristics). We are most sad not knowing what killed him, if he suffered or spontaneously keeled over, and hope that he did not suffer for even a minute. I’m sorry we didn’t take you on a walk all this week. I’m sorry we never started the routine of frequent outings in the truck or to the ballfield I promised you when the human kids got a little older. I wish we could have said goodbye. We will miss you and love you always, Yogi. You were such a good dog. 

DDD2D4B0-24F6-45D4-81F5-AD117DA64274.jpeg

Damn I’m sorry man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

@Murfdogg21 I'm sure your little pal enjoyed every minute of his time with you and your family.  He died happy.  It is always so hard to lose a pet.  I usually go about three years after we lose one before I dare try and get one again.  Over my many many decades I have had at least six or seven absolutely wonderful pets.  Each one is better but you'll always have a warm spot for all the previous ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...