D'onta Foreman

dad

4 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I still don’t see a drug. Is it a joke going over my head?

the cough syrup is rx. it's the same as abusing xanax, oxy's, vikes, etc. only it's 10x more expensive and you're arguably more likely to accidentally kill yourself while using it. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Plus you don’t start receiving the pension until your 55.
https://firstquarterfinance.com/nfl-pension-plan-retirement-plan/

Thanks for posting this. I’ve got a buddy who played 9 years in the league (early 90,s) and told me about his NFL pension. I didn’t remember the amount but certainly remember it was a pittance.

22 hours ago, Bevo said:

That's a pretty good pension. The annual salary of starting offensive linemen at that time was only about $600K.

I think that figure is way off...here's an article bout Earl getting a raise to $500k in 1980 and his agent asking for $1M. No way linemen were making $600k if that's what the best RB was making

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/08/sports/campbell-is-seeking-1-million-a-season.html

26 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I think that figure is way off...here's an article bout Earl getting a raise to $500k in 1980 and his agent asking for $1M. No way linemen were making $600k if that's what the best RB was making

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/08/sports/campbell-is-seeking-1-million-a-season.html

In 1984, Dean Steinkuler signed a four-year, $2.6 million guaranteed contract with the Houston Oilers. Bruce Matthews first contract earned him $260K per year and grew to $400K per year. Doug Dawson's second contract, I thought was $600K per year. Maybe my memory is off a little but it is pretty apparent that salaries were increasing fast during that time period. 

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

In 1984, Dean Steinkuler signed a four-year, $2.6 million guaranteed contract with the Houston Oilers. Bruce Matthews first contract earned him $260K per year and grew to $400K per year. Doug Dawson's second contract, I thought was $600K per year. Maybe my memory is off a little but it is pretty apparent that salaries were increasing fast during that time period. 

was standing at the bar in a club in Houston back in '88, Club 6400 or some shit just starting to rush on some X and got bumped into and turned to talk shit and looked straight into Dean Steinkuler's neck or where a neck would be if he had one. I thought I was going to die just for looking at him, lol. That was a big motherfucker. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

was standing at the bar in a club in Houston back in '88, Club 6400 or some shit just starting to rush on some X and got bumped into and turned to talk shit and looked straight into Dean Steinkuler's neck or where a neck would be if he had one. I thought I was going to die just for looking at him, lol. That was a big motherfucker. 

Yeah, I knew a lot of those guys because Dawson is a close family friend. We had a great setup for basketball at our house so we would hoop there all the time. My brother is shorter than I am so I would end up having to cover those guys. It made me tough, but that shit took a toll on my back. When Doug was losing, he had a tendency to put his hand in the small of my back and shotput me across the paint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

USFL.  They changed the pay of the NFL.

40 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

USFL.  They changed the pay of the NFL.

That's exactly how I remember it, too.

Makes sense. I remember Jim Kelly being signed by the Houston Gamblers to a huge contract at the time.

IIRC, the usual professional leagues had only begun encroaching $1 mil per year around that time. And I remember being astounded that the LA Express gave Steve Young a 10 year, $40 mil contract. I've never been that interested in the financial aspect of sports franchises but my impression is that the lasting impact of the USFL was the exponential impact they had on sports salaries.

Also, since I knew Brent Johnson on the Texas FB team, and had been recruited by his dad Jimmy Johnson, I note that I thought his $200k contract to move to theU was such a large salary for a coach (he makes as much as POTUS?). It's amazing to see how far coaches' salaries have come. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Makes sense. I remember Jim Kelly being signed by the Houston Gamblers to a huge contract at the time.

usfl - five-year fully-guaranteed deal for $3.3 million

1986 - 5-year, $8 million contract with the Buffalo Bills Monday, making him the highest paid player in NFL history

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

that was a hell of an offensive line 

First off I was, and hopefully one day will be a fan of D'onta again.  We rode him like a horse at Texas when we were in desperate need. It was so bittersweet when he finally got that nice long TD run, and tore his achilles on the play.  I honestly thought he would work his ass off,  like he did at UT, and get back in the game.  You can look back and make fun of my optimism right before he gets cut.The bling picture on New Year's doesn't but me, nor would drug use....  it's the fucking NFL.  The thin picture doesn't look good, and that to me points like he may be on a bad path.  Then all of a sudden perhaps the potential drug use (Codeine?) takes on a different meaning to me. I'll be rooting for the kid and hope that his life turns out great. 

What always amazes me are how the folks that profess to be big fans of a team of college kids are so gleeful and judgmental when the stumbles come.  I was never sadder than when Ramonce threw away his future because of who he ran with.  I hope and pray that D'onta is not on that same path. 

• Like 5

On 1/29/2020 at 11:26 AM, horn4life said:

First off I was, and hopefully one day will be a fan of D'onta again.  We rode him like a horse at Texas when we were in desperate need. It was so bittersweet when he finally got that nice long TD run, and tore his achilles on the play.  I honestly thought he would work his ass off,  like he did at UT, and get back in the game.  You can look back and make fun of my optimism right before he gets cut.The bling picture on New Year's doesn't but me, nor would drug use....  it's the fucking NFL.  The thin picture doesn't look good, and that to me points like he may be on a bad path.  Then all of a sudden perhaps the potential drug use (Codeine?) takes on a different meaning to me. I'll be rooting for the kid and hope that his life turns out great. 

What always amazes me are how the folks that profess to be big fans of a team of college kids are so gleeful and judgmental when the stumbles come.  I was never sadder than when Ramonce threw away his future because of who he ran with.  I hope and pray that D'onta is not on that same path. 

who in this thread has been gleeful about D'onta's downfall?

Last Chance U is pretty eye-opening about the circumstances some of these kids come from.  I mean, we knew it as an abstraction, but seeing it on the tee-vee and how it affects these kids in the glimpse of daily life you get on the show is something else.  

I know that Last Chance U showcases kind of the worst of the worst, but there are a goodly number of kids on the show coming from what appear to be two-parent, fairly affluent homes or single-parent, but involved homes and not grinding poverty.

Cheer's behind the scenes stuff shows that it isn't limited to black athletes by any stretch.

Not saying D'Onta is one of them, per se, but it does seem like he may have been affected by an "I'm good at football, don't need to gaf about anything else" mentality.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not saying D'Onta is one of them, per se, but it does seem like he may have been affected by an "I'm good at football, don't need to gaf about anything else" mentality.

He's right as long as he stays good at football and has a trustworthy nerdy friend or family member manage ALL his money. Neither of those two conditions seem to have been met, sadly.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I know that Last Chance U showcases kind of the worst of the worst, but there are a goodly number of kids on the show coming from what appear to be two-parent, fairly affluent homes or single-parent, but involved homes and not grinding poverty.

Cheer's behind the scenes stuff shows that it isn't limited to black athletes by any stretch.

I was wondering this exact thing about Last Chance U. I watched Cheer and what you described is the last thing I expected to see.

How tha fuck do you know?!?! On top of that, you have no idea how much he spent on his jewelry nor whether it's even real. Regardless, spending money on clothes or jewelry is not how athletes go broke. It's often due to horrific investment deals when trying to actually grow their money, divorces, or having too many kids. Focusing on their spending habits is an easy target that is more about the onlookers who have no cultural connection having a chance to pontificate on why "those people" like the things they do. You, of all people, should know better. A lot of other posters are just teeing off on consumption choices which is really just cover for their feelings on people who don't behave like their lily white ass, all while living in a country that historically has done everything possible to prevent "those people" from assimilating into whatever culture it is that they're using to set as the standard.  

Wow that’s racist...

On 1/1/2020 at 11:47 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

How tha fuck do you know?!?! On top of that, you have no idea how much he spent on his jewelry nor whether it's even real. Regardless, spending money on clothes or jewelry is not how athletes go broke. It's often due to horrific investment deals when trying to actually grow their money, divorces, or having too many kids. Focusing on their spending habits is an easy target that is more about the onlookers who have no cultural connection having a chance to pontificate on why "those people" like the things they do. You, of all people, should know better. A lot of other posters are just teeing off on consumption choices which is really just cover for their feelings on people who don't behave like their lily white ass, all while living in a country that historically has done everything possible to prevent "those people" from assimilating into whatever culture it is that they're using to set as the standard.  

He had advantages.  And fucked it up.  So did VY by doing stupid shit like hiring Major Adams and running up $10,000 tabs at fucking Cheesecake Factory.

8 hours ago, Chopper said:

I was wondering this exact thing about Last Chance U. I watched Cheer and what you described is the last thing I expected to see.

Yeah I was fairly taken aback by Cheer.  I expected a lot of "pageant mom" types and there are a couple, but not the stories I saw.

Was also kind of hoping to burst the gay male cheerleader meme, but no such luck there.  Found that startling, also.

9 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Wholly crap... that's a bad look.

Ryan Shazier is outsquatting him right now.

And keep in mind that D’Onta was most recently out due to a torn bicep, not a lower body injury.

Edited by Nope

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2019 at 6:15 AM, Goo Punch said:

he looked to be in pretty damn good shape in all the workout videos he was posting all spring and summer:

^^^^ i mean that motherfucker is a beast. i was pretty shocked to hear accusations of him having a questionable work ethic.

He posted some video of him doing similar workouts just a day or two ago and it was night and day compared to the quoted video above. dude looks painfully slow, like, couldn't-play-D1-ball slow. his explosiveness was just gone. it was kind of hard to watch. 

On 1/26/2020 at 10:12 AM, Red Five said:

Discussion I was having with someone back during football season... is Foreman the most underrated Longhorn football player ever? Flaming out in the pros no doubt has something to do with it, as does the general shittiness of our teams during his time here. But man, he was a monster. 

Roosevelt Leaks would be in that discussion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Roosevelt Leaks would be in that discussion. 

I disagree. You nor I were alive during Leaks' time at Texas, but we've both heard plenty about him and how good he was. Do you think people 40 years from now will be well-versed in Foreman's accomplishments at Texas? I get that there will be a larger pool of players to account for historically by then, but I feel like Foreman's already more forgotten than Leaks, and he's only been gone a few years. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I disagree. You nor I were alive during Leaks' time at Texas, but we've both heard plenty about him and how good he was. Do you think people 40 years from now will be well-versed in Foreman's accomplishments at Texas? I get that there will be a larger pool of players to account for historically by then, but I feel like Foreman's already more forgotten than Leaks, and he's only been gone a few years. 

Maybe, but i don't feel like you, or i, or any active member of HF/Shaggy/Surly represents the average UT fan. Just by virtue of investing our time in this site(s) we a)represent a more dedicated level of fan and b)end up learning a lot more about the program and it's history along the way. I'm 35, and I'd be pretty surprised if your average 35 year old UT fan knew anything about Rosie Leaks. I see him and Dee Foreman as very similar in that aspect, but i could be wrong. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe, but i don't feel like you, or i, or any active member of HF/Shaggy/Surly represents the average UT fan. Just by virtue of investing our time in this site(s) we a)represent a more dedicated level of fan and b)end up learning a lot more about the program and it's history along the way. I'm 35, and I'd be pretty surprised if your average 35 year old UT fan knew anything about Rosie Leaks. I see him and Dee Foreman as very similar in that aspect, but i could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

We only need two things in order to determine who is correct here. 1) A means of surveying the mass population of UT fans and alumni, and then the ability to analyze the results and produce a conclusion. and 2) a Delorean to take us 40 years into the future in order to conduct the same kind of survey work. I like our odds.