Things not going well for USPS

Celery Man

No, it was an ordered from amazon.  Like the guy just ordered from amazon and had it shipped to me.   

Sometimes I will pay a little more just to not purchase from Amazon.  Guess there are some out there who are recognizing that trend and taking advantage of it.

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

This is awesome.  I hope this and the DC response gets huge airplay.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielcassady/2020/08/22/washington-postal-workers-defy-usps-orders-and-reinstall-mail-sorting-machines/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0A44YjUaKA8OY768T-xIf5slfPbKhh5IhxgYjZc1CKIhLP-WMWROuMHqg

Washington Postal Workers Defy USPS Orders And Reinstall Mail Sorting Machines

Daniel CassadyForbes Staff

How long before trump sends in his Brown Shirts?

What I hope to see today, and I'm sure I will be disappointed, is some actual business analysis from both sides:

For example:  If in fact, the dismantling of sorting machines and hours reductions is part of a well thought out plan of fixed asset retirement due to costs to operate or obsolescence, then I would expect some part of that history and thought process to be thoroughly documented.  In fact, such a paper trail might even exonerate the actions of the higher ups, so it would be in their best interest to reveal the plan. Also, I have no idea what the significance of the impact is on operations-i.e yes, one location may have had a sorting machine removed, but do they have like 12 other machines still working.  How many of these machines are part of postal operations etc.  It doesn't even need to be part of a strategic business plan as part of this may be related to an internal Covid response.

All I have heard is some pretty poor interrogation and even worse media response.  I was an internal auditor for years and DeJoy's responses are not giving me warm and fuzzies as we used to say.  His responses are vague and full of corporate jargon and nonsense. Yet, there seems to be no follow up or even expanding on the actual literal meaning of the responses.

Conversely, if in fact this a nefarious plan to diminish confidence in the mail in voting apparatus, then I would expect some much better questions than what we have seen so far.

This whole thing seems to be shrouded in some sort of a black box.  Either way, this thing should be way more transparent by now.  

Perhaps I have missed something that the Surly sleuths can bring to light.

• Hook 'Em 2

Ranking member:  we weren't notified the sub-committee would do opening remarks.

Chair:  we notified your office.

Sub-committee chair:  we always have sub-committee opening remarks.

Ranking member:  Well I wasn't told, so our sub-committee ranking member will have to just wing it.

Sub-committee ranking member:  Delivers clearly scripted opening remarks.  

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Republicans:  USPS doesn't need money, they have 10 billion in cash that they cant spend.  

Also republicans:  USPS loses 10 billion dollars every year and needs to be reformed because it loses so much money.  

I would also like to see some sort of analysis on the USPS budgets and performance over the years.  Its not like they need to be some sort of government profit center.  Its just seems like analytic stuff would just be out there for review.

I think the D' are mising some opportunities to dig past his blanket denials of everything.  He keeps saying he didnt decide to limit overtime, or shut down sorting machines, etc.  Ask the follow up, who did?  He said hes the CEO, not COO.  Cool, who put that COO in place?  Oh, you did?  Did you tell the COO what you wanted done?  Get the COO in front of the committee and ask the same questions.  We dont need you to make Dejoy look bad, we need you to find real dirt to punish people with or find the guy that can actually fix shit and squeeze them to do it.    

While I enjoyed seeing a couple of these D congressmen scold this piece of shit, it would help their cause if they didn't badger him for 5 minutes but ask no questions.  Scold a bit, ask a pointed question, and get himself to self-hoist on his own petard.

Another easy point to make.  The Rs keep trying to make the point that Dejoy reports to the "bipartisan" board of governors, not the president.  The board consists of 4 republicans and 2 democrats, the bare minimum to reach a quorum (11 seats total).  They seated Dejoy even though he wasn't even one of the 53 initial applicants, he got inserted during the second round of interviews.  

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

While I enjoyed seeing a couple of these D congressmen scold this piece of shit, it would help their cause if they didn't badger him for 5 minutes but ask no questions.  Scold a bit, ask a pointed question, and get himself to self-hoist on his own petard.

House hearings are unwatchable. The grandstanding from both sides is ridiculous. Daniel Goldman should be the all time QB for the dems. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think its becoming apparent that we don't need a postmaster general.  He didn't order any of the changes.  He doesn't know who did.  He can't/won't undo said changes.  What exactly does the postmaster general do?  

• Hook 'Em 1

I just need to say, I've been watching this on YouTube.  The first feed I found when searching for the hearing was from Fox News.  Holy fuck at the chat comments on the side of the window.  I'm having a hard time deciding whats worse, the outright stupidity or the blatant racism.  

Edited by TXSG8R

15 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I just need to say, I've been watching this on YouTube.  The first feed I found when searching for the hearing was from Fox News.  Holy fuck at the chat comments on the side of the window.  I'm having a hard time deciding whats worse, the outright stupidity or the blatant racism.  

c-span.org

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

while i agree with the assessment, why would trump be ahead on election night, if he's trailing in literally every single national poll?  don't a bunch of republicans (especially older ones in the midst of a pandemic) vote by mail too?  and don't they start counting those votes well before election day?  we should have returns earlier than normal this year because millions of ballots will be in before nov 3rd.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

while i agree with the assessment, why would trump be ahead on election night, if he's trailing in literally every single national poll?  don't a bunch of republicans (especially older ones in the midst of a pandemic) vote by mail too?  and don't they start counting those votes well before election day?  we should have returns earlier than normal this year because millions of ballots will be in before nov 3rd.

You mean the ballots that actually make it somewhere to be counted as opposed to languishing around various post office locations?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 10:22 AM, pyrohornIII said:

I'm so tired of these simpleminded fucks going on about the USPS losing money.   

Cannot put it simpler than this:

Our roads carry our bodies and goods. USPS carries our thoughts and goods. The USPS charges at least a nominal fee for each item. Either turn all our roads into profit centers or STFU about the USPS needing to turn a profit.

We supplement big oil, big pharma, but draw the line at USPS?   Guaranteed that if USPS is privatized, the first thing to happen would be a subsidy or bailout, like the airlines.  

At the very least mail would probably actually get to the places it's supposed to go...

4 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

And I think it gets asked constantly, but how the fuck is gym jordan on every damn congressional committee?

Just two (Judiciary & Oversight and Reform), they just happen to be high-profile as fuck. And they’re both ranking member slots as Jordan benefitted from Meadows moving to the WH.

To top it off, Scalise and Jordan get to dick around on the Coronavirus subcommittee.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/08/brace-blue-shift/615097/

This sort of late-breaking Democratic vote is the new, though still underappreciated, normal in national elections. Americans have become accustomed to knowing who won our elections promptly, but there are many legitimate votes that are not counted immediately every election year. For reasons that are not totally understood by election observers, these votes tend to be heavily Democratic, leading results to tilt toward Democrats as more of them are counted, in what has become known as the “blue shift.”

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/08/why-do-the-last-votes-counted-skew-democratic.html

What explains the “blue shift”? One factor has little or nothing to do with voting by mail per se: Democratic-leaning demographic groups (particularly first-time voters) tend to cast “provisional ballots”

One voting-by-mail expert told me privately she suspects that Democratic get-out-the-vote drives — which habitually occur shortly before election day –—may delay maximum Democratic voting across-the-board, and produce a “blue shift” in late mail ballots.

• Hook 'Em 1

This arrived today.  2 days ... 3 weeks, worth it as long as we can keep people from voting by mail.

I have no one - zero - in my personal or professional life that doesn't think Trump is a dipshit con artist.  If I did I'd take this USPS label and slap it on their fucking forehead.

IMG_6184.thumb.jpg.1a7edc171e59b242ae0edd88ebd6d3f8.jpg

Edited by Mach 1

Just now, Mach 1 said:

This arrived today.  2 days ... 3 weeks, worth it as long as we can keep people from voting by mail.

I have no one - zero - in my personal or professional life that don't think Trump is a dipshit con artist.  If I did I'd take this USPS label and slap it on their fucking forehead.

Are you a brony?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have no one - zero - in my personal or professional life that doesn't think Trump is a dipshit con artist.  If I did I'd take this USPS label and slap it on their fucking forehead.

Username does not check out.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

What's this shit now about how blue boxes aren't secure and we can't drop our votes into them?  Or what was the other box type this guy was rambling on about yesterday?  Did he mean those wall slot kinds that you see in downtown buildings and shit that are first sorted by some other personnel?  What's the risk there again?

Ordered contact lenses at Costco.  Get the "shipped" notification 8/26, and USPS tracking says expected delivery 8/31.  They didn't come in today's mail.   n

I tracked them. 

Status

Accepted

August 26, 2020 at 7:29 pm

Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending

OAK CREEK, WI 53154

That's the last update.  Fucking things have sitting in the Oak Creek PO without moving for 5 days.