Easter 2020

pops

Yeah, it's a fucked up year, but what you got?  I'm in charge of the protein. Doing a rack of pork and a couple tri tips.

Pork getting a garlic herb olive oil orange juice/zest tonight. Just going to do it in the oven. 

Tri tips will be smoked to about 125 then seared up to medium rare. Just salt and pepper on them but making a chimichurri. Will throw some pics up tomorrow. 

Fuck covid. 

• Like 3

Mesquite marinated pork loins and whatever the kids want with it. We made an Angel Food cake earlier to cut up strawberries with as well.

This will be the first holiday for my teenage/preteen kids without getting together with the family. The oldest is extremely disappointed not to be getting to see my nieces and nephews that are little, but it is what it is.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

The dog and I are up with a brisket I discovered in the deep freeze now on the smoker, and admiring the pre-dawn lightning show.

We'll stream church onto the back porch TV.

Strange times indeed.

Might as well have a sermon beer.

Happy Easter, Surly. ede014c13faebba266c7772ea5639e00.jpgfdc2e93f89222b5c87f41b3e7b923bfa.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Damor said:

The dog and I are up with a brisket I discovered in the deep freeze now on the smoker, and admiring the pre-dawn lightning show.

We'll stream church onto the back porch TV.

Strange times indeed.

Might as well have a sermon beer.

Happy Easter, Surly. ede014c13faebba266c7772ea5639e00.jpgfdc2e93f89222b5c87f41b3e7b923bfa.jpg

Is your pit a Smokemaster?   Texas logo looks like it.

I'm smoking a brisket today, and we'll have sausage cheese grits and 7-layer salad with it.  My folks are going to swing by this evening and pick up their to-go bags off the back porch, and talk to the kids through the windows.  

• Like 1

Indeed it is. Someone on here owned or was connected to Smokemaster, was that you?

Now that the sun is up, the dog is doing a good job finding Easter eggs whilst waiting for his human brothers to wake up.

Beautiful morning.332f2c8c42262324b73cca72b20eafd4.jpg

I usually do a leg of lamb. But this year I’m minus a wife and my folks won’t be joining us because of the quarantine, so that seemed like a bit much for just me and my two kids. I deferred to my eighth-grade daughter who gave up meat for Lent, and she said she wanted steak and mashed potatoes, so that’s what I’m serving up.

• Like 2

Yeah me too ^^^^^
What does that LOL weigh and what kind of time and temp are you thinking?
It's 6.5 lbs (bone in). I'm going to do it at 250 until it gets to about 130F and then put it directly on the coals to sear until it's close to 140F. Thinking it will take 3 hours or less.
  • Like 2

Son & DIL pre-ordered three family pack Easter dinners from Eddie V's, picked them up and dropped off our dinner for two at noon. All containers were  wiped down, as was the countertop after unloading..

Shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, herb roasted beef tenderloin, truffle mac & cheese, au gratin potatoes, asparagus with fresh lemons, bread, Bananas Foster butter cake with butter pecan ice cream. plus reheating instructions:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Son & DIL pre-ordered three family pack Easter dinners from Eddie V's, picked them up and dropped off our dinner for two at noon. All containers were  wiped down, as was the countertop after unloading..

Shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, herb roasted beef tenderloin, truffle mac & cheese, au gratin potatoes, asparagus with fresh lemons, bread, Bananas Foster butter cake with butter pecan ice cream. plus reheating instructions:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Even more impressive than the food spread is that the pictures aren’t upside down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After it hit 130F, I disassembled the smoker and put the lamb straight on the coals to get color. I should have waited a little longer, because I ended up having to put the smoker back together to get it all the way to 138F before letting it rest. It came out pretty well.

Also, for some reason the temp only went up a couple degrees while it rested. I could have let it go a little longer.

On this one, I left the onion/garlic/herb paste in and on the meat after letting it sit over night. The paste came out kinda mushy. Next time I'll wipe it off after marinading and before tying up the leg.0ba67e4ac87b4880a736b3a1d08a0048.jpg459652f96e9891828eab4342d225bec0.jpga930c1ba1d749f48013f6b71fa8a446c.jpg

• Like 7

After it hit 130F, I disassembled the smoker and put the lamb straight on the coals to get color. I should have waited a little longer, because I ended up having to put the smoker back together to get it all the way to 138F before letting it rest. It came out pretty well.

Also, for some reason the temp only went up a couple degrees while it rested. I could have let it go a little longer.

On this one, I left the onion/garlic/herb paste in and on the meat after letting it sit over night. The paste came out kinda mushy. Next time I'll wipe it off after marinading and before tying up the leg.0ba67e4ac87b4880a736b3a1d08a0048.jpg459652f96e9891828eab4342d225bec0.jpga930c1ba1d749f48013f6b71fa8a446c.jpg

I did a similar cook, and wish I’d wiped down the meat before cooking. Tasted damn good though. Had some extra marinade so chopped up some potatoes and used on them for an oven roast. Also pretty tasty.
  • Like 1

Eh, dry AF, but nobody had a problem eating it. I have no business posting brisket pics on this site, but why not. Did get a decent smoke ring.

Best of all, I had a great day on the back porch with the family.

Oh, and now enjoying the first pour of a keg of homebrew oatmeal stout.

Happy Easter, assholes. God loves you. b775ddcded0f9785785fa9bb4600dc8e.jpg

• Like 4

Picked this thing up from WF. SEasoned and wrapped in some saran wrap and sitting in the fridge.  Not gonna cook until Sunday.  Assuming they brought all these in late last week, wondering if I should drop it in the freezer until Friday or just let it ride it out in the fridge. Probably just leave it as fridge temp but this covid shit is getting to my brain. 

664628-EE-CE41-403-F-B425-67-E508-DB66-C

44 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

How are you going to cook it? I started to buy one today and passed. Still wanting to cook one and may go get one tomorrow. I heard they do great in the SV.

Gonna follow Fuggles lead and put a bit of smoke on it, then finish in oven. Way too big for my sous vide, but shanks come out great.