Artist Chain Playlists

Rimbo

The goal is to make a playlist where:

1. Each song is a different group of artists,

2. At least one member of each group in the chain is the same, and

3. Make as good of a playlist as possible.

So, for example: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6Xd0F1akrecr3TGUtufhWq?si=DAfJ8t25Q4asIocZAd416g

We start with Ronnie Montrose, first with The Edgar Winter group, then his own band, featuring a young lead singer named Sammy, who then goes solo, joins Van Halen. From Van Halen we go back in time to the DLR days, then to DLR's solo career.

Now, from here, I could've gotten to Megadeth, and from there in many interesting directions, but I didn't want to do that. Just how is left as an exercise for the reader.

Instead, I grabbed Steve Vai from DLR's solo work and went to Vai's solo work, and then Vai's one-off band witha young lead singer named Devin Townsend.

DT has been insanely prolific and has done a great many collaborations, but I had an end in mind when I began this. Added a song with Anneke Von Giersbergen (the DTP remake of "Hyperdrive" with her on solo lead vocals), then to her solo career, then way back to the 1990s with The Gathering.

With some of these (e.g. Montrose), only one or two song would do; with others (DLR-era Van Halen and Devin Townsend) there's any of a few dozen songs that are fantastic. So picking just one can be tricky.

Anyone else want to try something like this and share? Large-scale benefit songs (e.g. "We Are The World") and Scandinavian metal bands are cheating. 😉