Community- the other sitcom we deserved but couldn't have

Goo Punch

Now that it's on Netflix it's getting a whole shit-ton of new viewers, and deservedly so. Amazing show for the first three seasons. Great characters, great writing, and some of the best singular episodes of sitcom TV i've ever seen. Also a whole bunch of great gags. Here's one of my favorites- "Notches"

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

There has been an active discussion about Community going in the Netflix thread for the past week. 

Uh, duh doy. I've been taking part in it. What about that conversation means there can't be a separate thread dedicated to the show? oh that's right- there's about a thousand threads in this forum which get spawned from that thread/shows on Netflix, but when I start one of them people like you and Rex have to chime in and whine about it, which is 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

46 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

That was such a good show. I loved the paintball episodes, the dungeons and dragons episode, and Remedial Chaos Theory.

I might binge this again soon. I think I quit after season 3 when they had a hiatus or whatever it was that changed at that time.

Basic Lupine Urology (Law & Order spoof) is another classic. 

43 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

been catching up.  why did they britta the 4th and 5th seasons?

Dan Harmon got fired from his own show and it tanked. They brought him back in some capacity for S5, which was definitely better than S4, but they never were able to recapture the magic from the first three seasons. 

edit: lulz, watching right now and it's the KFC Space Simulator episode. such an average/typical episode for this series, and still so good. 

46 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Didn't Chevy Chase have a falling out with one (or more) of the other cast members?  I vaguely recall something like that.  

The first couple or three seasons were fantastic, totally worth a re-watch.

he had a falling out with basically everyone else involved, but he had a particularly nasty feud with Dan Harmon. Chevy was pissed that his character was so hated on the show, and wanted Pierce to be written differently. In reality they all really did hate having to work with him anyway, and the Harmon/Chase feud is really what ended the show. Apparently Harmon was (still is?) a raging alcoholic which didn't help matters. 

8 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

What season(s) did it go to yahoo tv or whatever? Was it any good on those seasons?  Abed and Troy were money.

BEST Abed moment:

only season 6. i actually enjoyed it, even if it felt more like a spin-off than the same series.

• Like 1

Everyone that chevy chase has ever worked with hated working with him. I’m surprised he keeps getting jobs. 
there was even an episode all about how pierce being himself was good for the dynamic of the group, so if chevy still didn’t like it they should have written his ass out and brought in Leonard or a new old. 

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Everyone that chevy chase has ever worked with hated working with him. I’m surprised he keeps getting jobs. 
there was even an episode all about how pierce being himself was good for the dynamic of the group, so if chevy still didn’t like it they should have written his ass out and brought in Leonard or a new old. 

I assume they wanted him for name value, but once the show found it's legs early on he was easily the most replaceable character on the show.  He brought nothing to the show, and given how the ratings on the show always lacked he certainly wasn't bringing in viewers.

26 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I assume they wanted him for name value, but once the show found it's legs early on he was easily the most replaceable character on the show.  He brought nothing to the show, and given how the ratings on the show always lacked he certainly wasn't bringing in viewers.

no way. I love Pierce Hawthorne. Chevy killed that role. Hell, there probably wasn't anybody who could have played it any better. 

god, this show has so many small bits that are so good. I'm on the episode where Chang moves in with Jeff (and where Liverpool plays Manchester Untied at 12:30 am local time), and i'd totally forgotten about the bit with Chang and all of the saws. the show is very similar to Parks and Rec in this way- they had Harris Wittels writing the most hilarious, irreverent bits for them, and I feel like someone in the Community writers room must have a gifted mind for that kind of stuff just like Wittels, because Community has a ton of these small/hilarious bits that pack a big comedic punch into a very limited time frame. 

My opinion is that comedy writers always had their hands tied with studio audiences/laugh tracks because the actors had to pause and wait for laughter before delivering the next line.  This destroys timing, it doesn’t allow for any rapid fire sequences, and it kills 2 minutes of a 21 minute episode. jokes had to be spaced out and single punch line for the most part. 

changing formats like community, modern family, parks and rec, 30 rock, Seinfeld, and others really allowed the writers the freedom to fill episodes with gags. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

season 4 was the original GoT Season 8. unbelievably bad. season 5 was better (from what i remember) with Harmon back, but i haven't watched it since it came out. Season 6 wasn't bad at all, just don't expect to feel like you're watching Community. 

The Meow Meow Beans episode in S5 and the wedding episode in S6 is in my top 10 for the series. Really like the addition of Elroy in S6. 

26 minutes ago, greenman said:

The Meow Meow Beans episode in S5 and the wedding episode in S6 is in my top 10 for the series. Really like the addition of Elroy in S6. 

Elroy was an awesome addition to the show. He would have fit in seamlessly in seasons 1-3.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:01 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

This show went to crap after Chevy left.  I get that he didn't like or get the show's humor, and that he is supposedly hard to work with, and maybe it was all coincedence, but this show had 3 superb seasons and all included him.  Seasons 4-6 had some random good episodes mixed in but overall the show didn't work anymore as more and more cast members left.

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

This show went to crap after Chevy left.  I get that he didn't like or get the show's humor, and that he is supposedly hard to work with, and maybe it was all coincedence, but this show had 3 superb seasons and all included him.  Seasons 4-6 had some random good episodes mixed in but overall the show didn't work anymore as more and more cast members left.

That had more to do with the shows creator being fired after S3 than Chevy. S4 is the season where they realized that Chevy was the real problem. Bringing back Harmon is why S5 and S6 were far better than S4. More than likely, they wouldn’t have had to wrap up the Chang / fake Dean plot line up as quickly as they did in S3 if they kept Harmon on board. 

14 minutes ago, greenman said:

That had more to do with the shows creator being fired after S3 than Chevy. S4 is the season where they realized that Chevy was the real problem. Bringing back Harmon is why S5 and S6 were far better than S4. More than likely, they wouldn’t have had to wrap up the Chang / fake Dean plot line up as quickly as they did in S3 if they kept Harmon on board. 

True about Harmon, but I don't personally feel like the show got better when he returned in season 5.  It kind of felt like the magic and chemistry was lost by that point.  Season 6 seemed better than 5, but I binged it on a tablet thanks to Yahoo and I might need to watch again before judging properly.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 9:12 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

When Chang joined the group/Glover left the show, I think it declined considerably. 

Still a great show that took a lot of risks and remained funny and interesting throughout. 

Chang was great when he wasn't being written like a caricatured psychopath. The Chang/Karate Kid episode in season 6 was unbelievable. Making Chang into the crazy uncomfortable psycho was a huge mistake and sever under-utilization of Ken Jeong.

Agree Glover leaving was a severe blow and frankly surprising.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:39 PM, greenman said:

Season 6 was good and definitely cannon.  This scene with Paget Brewster was Mint!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFKuBuRNOBA

The writing!

"Oh God no, I never hope. Hope is pouting in advance. Hope is faith's richer, bitchier sister. Hope is the deformed addict bound incest monster of entitlement and fear."

lol!

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray

340?cb=20130206104834

A monkey was given to Troy who named him "Annie's Boobs" after a contest on his pet monkey's Twitter account, much to Annie's annoyance. It was later released from its cage by Abed after he felt disrespected by his friends despite his best attempts to make them happy.

I will not tolerate monkies living on campus. If I wanted to run a monkey hotel, I'd install a banana buffet. I'd use vines as elevators, I'd put tail holes through the bathrobes and I'd lower the shower knobs. - Dean

Edited by Dutchrudder

15 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Another thing Community and Harmon were great at! Aside from Scion/Frisky Dingo, I haven't seen a product placement/ad/story integration that was so funny and worked so well in a show before. Genius

22 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Chang was great when he wasn't being written like a caricatured psychopath. The Chang/Karate Kid episode in season 6 was unbelievable. Making Chang into the crazy uncomfortable psycho was a huge mistake and sever under-utilization of Ken Jeong.

Agree Glover leaving was a severe blow and frankly surprising.

Season 6 was good and definitely cannon.  This scene with Paget Brewster was Mint!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFKuBuRNOBA

The writing!

"Oh God no, I never hope. Hope is pouting in advance. Hope is faith's richer, bitchier sister. Hope is the deformed addict bound incest monster of entitlement and fear."

lol!

got this to embed finally.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray

I don't know why I never watched this before, but I'm so glad I started. This is such a great show. Casting was perfect.

The D&D episode...pure greatness.

I also got a good laugh out of, "Don't sell yourself short - you're a baboon everywhere" with Pierce's reaction. That's some fan service right there.

1 hour ago, lateshow said:

One of the small, inconsequential things that always cracked me up is Pierce's sheer hatred of Vicky. 

lmao, when he runs for student body president just so that he can abuse and belittle her into dropping out of the race. "Oh I'm out too. I was just doing this to get back at Vicky for not lending me a pencil."

Also love it when she and Fat Neil are getting all flirty and Pierce asks, "you two gonna fall in love?" 

• Like 1

John Oliver is so overlooked in this, but just solid gold.

On a different note, this is one of my favorite episodes. Season 4 Episode 7 "Economics of Marine Biology"

The barber shop scenes with Jeff and Pierce are greatness. Inspired me to go get a straight razor shave because shaving yourself is for schmucks.

TorDD2B.jpg

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

I've mentioned this in other threads before, but I think that Joel McHale does a great job on this show, particularly because he himself is not actually all that funny. You find out who's really funny when you watch all of the gag reels/blooper tapes, and here's the breakdown with Community: Donald Glover is hilarious; Chevy Chase is completely out of touch with everyone/everything around him; Alison Brie is both hot and funny; but Joel McHale is surprisingly unfunny for a guy who can play a character/host a clip show so well. So shouts out to his acting ability, because he is absolutely perfect as Jeff Winger. 

• Like 1