Community- the other sitcom we deserved but couldn't have

Goo Punch

I'm going to actually take a few classes at ACC this fall towards something I've been meaning to do for a while (mid-life crisis wanting to study what I wanted to, instead of what I chose).

It's going to be hard to meet my own version of Britta and Annie and the rest of the gang if everything is through Zoom.  Probably for the better, my wife would get suspicious.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2020 at 2:34 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It's going to be hard to meet my own version of Britta and Annie and the rest of the gang if everything is through Zoom.  Probably for the better, my wife would get suspicious.

If I ran into Annie from the second paintball episode, and she wanted me to leave my family......this is the last thing my family would see.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Hell I happen to think every actor play their part perfectly even Shirley with the way she would say ''you are all going to hell'' so sweetly the way her and Pierce play it off of each other her and Annie chime awwwwww together and it's wonderful because it's so subtle in the background but it's always there when was the other characters says something that they find sweet

I find myself going back and forth between Peirce and  Abed as favorite character even at the points that are just playing  one note over and over again it's done perfectly in with such adept timing it's makes the scene. Of course Donald Glover looks to be the breakout star from the whole show in he is a tremendous talent but his character would have been nothing without the Abed to play off of , And Pierces absolute cluelessness in Inappropriateness in almost every situation were some of the hardest hitting critical comedy in the show and yet there always was a vulnerability true the way he played it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

I find myself going back and forth between Peirce and  Abed as favorite character even at the points that are just playing  one note over and over again it's done perfectly in with such adept timing it's makes the scene. Of course Donald Glover looks to be the breakout star from the whole show in he is a tremendous talent but his character would have been nothing without the Abed to play off of , And Pierces absolute cluelessness in Inappropriateness in almost every situation were some of the hardest hitting critical comedy in the show and yet there always was a vulnerability true the way he played it

Don't count out Alison Brie - she's building up a helluva resume, going back to Mad Men.

Agreed that Troy needed Abed to play off of.

Pierce was..... I feel like I've known people like him.   The character is hanging around 20-somethings and 30-somethings, and he's watching them do the things he wanted to do but never did, or did and regrets, and it's probably emphasizing his age even more than if he had hung around the Hipsters.  He desperately wants to fit in which feeds that vulnerability that's always there, but that massive generation gap makes him stand out a bit.  There's shit that he's said and done, that I can remember being said and done when I was a young lad that was not politically correct, but also not incurring the wrath of the people around him.

2 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

Hell I happen to think every actor play their part perfectly even Shirley with the way she would say ''you are all going to hell'' so sweetly the way her and Pierce play it off of each other her and Annie chime awwwwww together and it's wonderful because it's so subtle in the background but it's always there when was the other characters says something that they find sweet

Granted, I'm only up through the early part of the third season of watching every episode in order (but I've seen quite a few of the later seasons, am aware of how it ended, the drama outside of the show, Harmon being out, etc.), but I think Studies in Modern Movement, aka the Kiss from a Rose episode, is pretty much the perfect snapshot of where all of the characters are in their lives, and perfectly defines their personalities, and it's a pretty damned perfect episode.

Hell, the whole Kiss from a Rose montage maybe my favorite sequence of the series (liked it more than the paintball episodes, Remedial Chaos Theory/Dark Timeline).  There were four plot lines going on, all four were dealt with perfectly and even resolved during or immediately after the song.  And like I said, it perfectly defined all of the main characters.

• Annie was playing the part of the mom, and thanks to Britta, worried that Abed and Troy were going to be lousy/man-childish roommates.  She loved/appreciated what they did with their little play and they gave up their room for her, which surprised her.  
  • Troy and Abed desperately wanted to make Annie happy, and they let their full geek flag fly, with Abed directing and both performing, something Troy loves doing, and they showed Annie how much they cared about her by giving up their room.
  • Pierce was trying to show that he was still helpful/useful, and trying to be a father figure to Annie, but he gets in over his head, then gets high as shit, then imagines that he's younger, more attractive, with a full head of hair, and fantasizes about something that's not happening - basically, it was Pierce bringing his A game.
  • Britta and Shirley - it was a perfect little bit with them trying to prove they were more caring/more moral than the other, and is it religion or a person's heart that makes them good.  Britta is trying to prove she's a good person, and that she wants to believe people are good, picks up the hitchhiker.  Makes Shirley nervous, which Britta enjoys, but then the hitchhiker starts talking about Jesus, which Shirley enjoys, but then starts singing about marijuana, which Britta enjoys, but then starts talking about drinking human blood and race-mixing, and Shirley and Britta instantly have the same thought and tell him to GTFO.
  • Dean Pelton is exactly who he's always been - obsessed with Jeff, and sleazy (admitting to fantasizing about Jeff and reading his emails and dressing like him) and ambushes him at the mall.
  • Jeff....A perfect illustration of his character.  He is being his selfish self, tries to dodge helping Annie movie, complete with an elaborate plan he pulls off with the help of a smitten sales lady, but he gets busted and has to pay some consequences.  He's stuck with the Dean, and has a look of "NowThis" when he has to sing, but then Dean sings, and in short order, Jeff's competitive side comes out, and he fully loses himself in the song.  Just like with Abed's Pulp Fiction birthday, Jeff lets himself enjoy being in the company of the Dean, but then, just like with Abed, he gets pissed when he finds out it was a setup.  He eventually comes around, confesses what he did to the gang, but still pays a price (twitter).  

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don't count out Alison Brie - she's building up a helluva resume, going back to Mad Men.

Still cannot believe Marvel picked the wrong Brie for Captain Marvel. Brie Larson is a good actress, but Alison Brie would have truly killed it in that role. Big miss imo. Fyi Larson is in Community episodes 4-8, 5-6, 5-9,  where she plays Abed's girlfriend/interest.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Season 4 will never end.

If I had been watching it when it aired, I would have bailed on season 4, and waited for the DVDs or streaming.

And because I've been watching 1-2 episodes a night, it's not like this crept up out of nowhere, yet I can't quite put my finger on what exactly went wrong, other than all of the sudden, the Chang emperor shit really started taking things downhill, and the evil doppelgängers basically cut the brakelines.  The darkest timeline stuff was funny when it was sporadically referenced, but then it was like the writers/showrunner were like "fuck it, let's put it on autopilot, what's the laziest thing we can do, oh yeah, the darkest timeline, we can just make all of the characters evil!"

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Season 4 will never end.

If I had been watching it when it aired, I would have bailed on season 4, and waited for the DVDs or streaming.

And because I've been watching 1-2 episodes a night, it's not like this crept up out of nowhere, yet I can't quite put my finger on what exactly went wrong, other than all of the sudden, the Chang emperor shit really started taking things downhill, and the evil doppelgängers basically cut the brakelines.  The darkest timeline stuff was funny when it was sporadically referenced, but then it was like the writers/showrunner were like "fuck it, let's put it on autopilot, what's the laziest thing we can do, oh yeah, the darkest timeline, we can just make all of the characters evil!"

No Dan Harmon and plenty of mysterious Chevy Chase absences. I think Harmon would have probably vetoed a lot of the stupid Chang storylines. The second Chang became a security guard the show got worse. Spanish Professor Chang was the best Chang.

The Hangover while a great movie, did a lot of harm to NBC sitcoms. The movie was so huge it convinced The Office writers to shove Ed Helms down our throats, and for Ken Jeong to take over Community. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

No Dan Harmon and plenty of mysterious Chevy Chase absences. I think Harmon would have probably vetoed a lot of the stupid Chang storylines. The second Chang became a security guard the show got worse. Spanish Professor Chang was the best Chang.

The Hangover while a great movie, did a lot of harm to NBC sitcoms. The movie was so huge it convinced The Office writers to shove Ed Helms down our throats, and for Ken Jeong to take over Community. 

I enjoyed Ed Helms on The Office, initially. It's when Carrell left and they made his character more involved that he got insufferable (on The Office). Same with Ken Jeong. As a bit player, Spanish Professor, he was hilarious. When they focused too much on him, it sucked. 

• Like 1

Just now, lateshow said:

I enjoyed Ed Helms on The Office, initially. It's when Carrell left and they made his character more involved that he got insufferable (on The Office). Same with Ken Jeong. As a bit player, Spanish Professor, he was hilarious. When they focused too much on him, it sucked. 

I wish John Oliver had more scenes in the early seasons. The drunken psychologist character was great. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jeong was poorly written. Once they wrote him as a real human being, he was fine. Watch the Karate Kid episode (s06E04) for proof. Community is one of my favorite series ever, but it is not above making mistakes, and poorly writing Ken Jeong and not having more John Oliver were definitely mistakes. Still love it though.

• Fuck You 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:43 PM, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Still cannot believe Marvel picked the wrong Brie for Captain Marvel. Brie Larson is a good actress, but Alison Brie would have truly killed it in that role. Big miss imo. Fyi Larson is in Community episodes 4-8, 5-6, 5-9,  where she plays Abed's girlfriend/interest.

It won’t be a popular opinion in this thread, but Brie Larson is more attractive and a better actress than Allison Brie. The paths of their careers speaks to this. I think Marvel got it right.

2 minutes ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

More attractive? lol. You're wrong about both points regardless.

Brie Larson won an Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role and was in the highest grossing movie of all time. Allison Brie is on Netflix shows. 

And I say that as an Allison Brie fan. 

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Brie Larson won an Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role and was in the highest grossing movie of all time. Allison Brie is on Netflix shows. 

And I say that as an Allison Brie fan. 

I like Brie Larson a lot and wouldn't kick either one of them out of bed, in fact I might even prefer Larson's look just out of personal preference, but you're selling Allison Brie very short.  Neither Community or Mad Men are "Netflix shows," and Mad Men is one of the more respected and acclaimed series of all time.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Brie Larson won an Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role and was in the highest grossing movie of all time.

Neither of which was Captain Marvel. Not sure being a late addition to a huge ensemble cast made any difference in how much an Avengers movie raked in.

Brie > Larson.

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Neither of which was Captain Marvel. Not sure being a late addition to a huge ensemble cast made any difference in how much an Avengers movie raked in.

Brie > Larson.

I'd give the edge to Larson (acting wise) mainly because I don't even know what Allison Brie is in outside of Glow and Community, but I agree with your point any hot girl would done fine in the Marvel roles.

I fell for her in Mad Men, then was pleasantly surprised with her polar opposite performance in Community. Glow is sort of a mashup. Mostly comedy, but has dramatic moments. Given the right role, she could be finominole. 

And I have nothing against Larson, except Captain Marvel (Marvel's Green Lantern). I just prefer Brie.

• 1 month later...