You might want to stock up on meat

luke duke

Started an account with ButcherBox in January. Timing was great. Quality has been fantastic, aside from the fact I prefer my ribeyes to be much larger than what they offer.

Plus, I got 3 free pounds of chicken wings with every order. Last month, they sent 9 pounds 

Edited by Deej

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I posted this in the CV thread, but a friend who is a buyer for nursing homes got a letter from Smithfield saying there is massive oversupply right now. They have a lot of canceled orders from restaurant suppliers.

Uuuuhuuuu, my first thought when I heard this.  Not saying they made up the outbreak in the SD plant, but I wondered if it wasn't an easier decision to shut it down knowing everything I've been hearing about the demand being down so much.

Honestly, I've never been able to square up in my mind any of the reports on food I've been hearing.  Keep hearing about how the demand for food has gone way down because of all the restaurants, however, people still have to eat.  Shouldn't they all just be replacing those meals which were normally ordered from a restaurant with meals prepared at home?  I would think almost on a 1:1 ratio, for every drop in restaurant meal, there should be a bump in home cooked meal.  Only thing that makes any sense with regard to that would be that restaurants just produce THAT much waste, which we no longer have.

If it's that bad, we need to get a handle on that as a society anyway.  Maybe another one of those silver lining things from this pandemic if we start paying a little closer attention to that.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Uuuuhuuuu, my first thought when I heard this.  Not saying they made up the outbreak in the SD plant, but I wondered if it wasn't an easier decision to shut it down knowing everything I've been hearing about the demand being down so much.

Honestly, I've never been able to square up in my mind any of the reports on food I've been hearing.  Keep hearing about how the demand for food has gone way down because of all the restaurants, however, people still have to eat.  Shouldn't they all just be replacing those meals which were normally ordered from a restaurant with meals prepared at home?  I would think almost on a 1:1 ratio, for every drop in restaurant meal, there should be a bump in home cooked meal.  Only thing that makes any sense with regard to that would be that restaurants just produce THAT much waste, which we no longer have.

If it's that bad, we need to get a handle on that as a society anyway.  Maybe another one of those silver lining things from this pandemic if we start paying a little closer attention to that.

I find I am eating smaller meals at home and have lost weight.  Before, when I went out for lunch every day I ate a big ass meal that is probably twice what I needed, but I still ate it.  The huge portions that restaurants provide is probably part of the reason.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 1978horn said:

I find I am eating smaller meals at home and have lost weight.  Before, when I went out for lunch every day I ate a big ass meal that is probably twice what I needed, but I still ate it.  The huge portions that restaurants provide is probably part of the reason.

Yeah, I think there's definitely something to that.  Most restaurants serve portions that are WAY too big.  Conversely, I think most Americans bitch about and don't support the restaurants that don't because they don't feel like they're getting their money's worth.

Restaurants and schools also have more waste than what I would think you have at home on top of the portion size issue. Personally, we’ve probably had more leftovers for lunches the last month than we’ve had in the last 5 years. My kids are also only eating two meals a day at home with the way their school schedule lines up instead of 3 like with a school day.

• Like 2

Saw a report a couple days ago about farmers dumping milk. Of course when you dug deeper it was a bit different. Cheese factories had orders scheduled. They can't retool to make liquid product (milk), were fully stocked on cheese and had to dump it. Another was farmers plowing produce because restaurant orders cancelled. That one checked out.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/04/06/Farmers-destroy-crops-grown-for-restaurants-hotels/2211585843469/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Restaurants and schools also have more waste than what I would think you have at home on top of the portion size issue. Personally, we’ve probably had more leftovers for lunches the last month than we’ve had in the last 5 years. My kids are also only eating two meals a day at home with the way their school schedule lines up instead of 3 like with a school day.

That's a good point.  We waste a shitload of food @ school.  Restaurants probably aren't too much better.  I know that I've been paying much closer attention to waste while being q'd.

The Smithfirld plant has been closed indefinitely, apparently due to pressure from the mayor and governor. Smithfield’s Chinese ownership doesn’t sound like they had any intention to shut down on their own.   

SD governor Kristi Noem announced Monday that the 3 primary healthcare systems in the state would be particpating in a statewide hydroxychloroquine trial. SD has an interesting distinction of having an above average infection rate, but the lowest (last I checked) hospitalization and mortality rates in the country. If the rates are that low to begin with, I don’t know what this trial can hope to prove.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The Smithfirld plant has been closed indefinitely, apparently due to pressure from the mayor and governor. Smithfield’s Chinese ownership doesn’t sound like they had any intention to shut down on their own.   

SD governor Kristi Noem announced Monday that the 3 primary healthcare systems in the state would be particpating in a statewide hydroxychloroquine trial. SD has an interesting distinction of having an above average infection rate, but the lowest (last I checked) hospitalization and mortality rates in the country. If the rates are that low to begin with, I don’t know what this trial can hope to prove.

Anastasis posted the results of one of the first trials in the medical discussion thread.  It didn't help, but did give 10% of the experimental group diarrhea. 

• Like 1

No worries here.  Even in the first week of hoarding when there was absolutely zero meat the frozen fish section had plenty of food.     A big reason why grocery food is strained has to do with the fact that NO ONE is eating out sans some grub hub and drive through.     Per freakonomics.   Listening now so this hits home.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:32 AM, Landomatic said:

Only thing that makes any sense with regard to that would be that restaurants just produce THAT much waste, which we no longer have

This is absolutely a huge portion of it. Between unfinished meals, meals that get sent back, free meals, meals that are put in a box and really two, etc... I'd be shocked if it was close to 1:1. Restaurant portions in America are also just massive too, particularly at your typical chain places. People don't eat as much at home.

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Lolololololo.  She's actually a very attractive 48 year old.

This.  That crazy eyes pic was clearly taken out of context...or whatever the picture equivalent of ‘caught them at just wrong moment’ is.  In all the pics I’ve seen, she’s pretty hot, esp for a 48 year old politician from south da fuckin kota.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

This.  That crazy eyes pic was clearly taken out of context...or whatever the picture equivalent of ‘caught them at just wrong moment’ is.  In all the pics I’ve seen, she’s pretty hot, esp for a 48 year old politician from south da fuckin kota.

She isn’t well-liked by the press, so they take every shot they can at her. Especially the female contingent in the press. It’s pretty hypocritical given that she’s as confident and self-assured as any woman you can find. Isn’t that what they say they want?

On 4/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, RPM said:

Saw a report a couple days ago about farmers dumping milk. Of course when you dug deeper it was a bit different. Cheese factories had orders scheduled. They can't retool to make liquid product (milk), were fully stocked on cheese and had to dump it. Another was farmers plowing produce because restaurant orders cancelled. That one checked out.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/04/06/Farmers-destroy-crops-grown-for-restaurants-hotels/2211585843469/

I saw that and it made no sense to me.

Didn't they say it was a supply chain issue? At least that was what was in the report I saw.

Does the military not have tons of trucks that they could get this stuff to food banks with?

No CR but this entire deal has been completely botched by the government....both parties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

No CR but this entire deal has been completely botched by the government....both parties.

Also no CR, but which global pandemic that was handled so properly by the government are you comparing against to reach that conclusion?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, midtown said:

No worries here.  Even in the first week of hoarding when there was absolutely zero meat the frozen fish section had plenty of food.     A big reason why grocery food is strained has to do with the fact that NO ONE is eating out sans some grub hub and drive through.     Per freakonomics.   Listening now so this hits home.

part of it is the supply chains for restaurants aren't necessarily able to supply grocery stores.  the products aren't often the same, and, even when the food product is the same, the packaging can be completely different (think eggs - you buy them in cartons of 6 to two dozen, a restaurant buys them in crates).  it's kinda similar to the toilet paper issue, where the consumer market and commercial market aren't the same thing, and you can't switch a line making narrow sandpaper 1 ply rolls for airports over to making 3 ply double quilted for your house.  so, when suddenly nearly all sharting is done at home rather than at work, you don't have enough home toilet paper.

another part is that long haul trucking is having issues.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 9:57 AM, elfenix said:

part of it is the supply chains for restaurants aren't necessarily able to supply grocery stores.  the products aren't often the same, and, even when the food product is the same, the packaging can be completely different

Yup, I noticed a stack of Bud Light bottle cases at the grocery store that were plain white and had a large "warning" that they were not twist top.  Those cases are made to be sold to bars.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:29 AM, midtown said:

Good luck with that.  I believe they process pork for pretty much every grocery including HEB.

Yeah, I went to the World Post Expo in Des Moines, Iowa a few times.  That place was loaded with Asians.

No offense to the Orientals /Bill Parcells

• Hook 'Em 1

Just bought a quarter side of grass-fed beef. Not really worried about the supply chain necessarily but I wanted to support a local farmer and a shorter supply chain. Chest freezer is packed – wonder how long it'll last for our family of four.

• Like 1