You might want to stock up on meat

luke duke

Just bought a quarter side of grass-fed beef. Not really worried about the supply chain necessarily but I wanted to support a local farmer and a shorter supply chain. Chest freezer is packed – wonder how long it'll last for our family of four.

How much does something like that cost?

On 4/21/2020 at 10:23 AM, 406W30th said:

Just bought a quarter side of grass-fed beef. Not really worried about the supply chain necessarily but I wanted to support a local farmer and a shorter supply chain. Chest freezer is packed – wonder how long it'll last for our family of four.

You're a good man for doing that. What did you pay?

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

'bout tree-fiddy.

Nah, he said he paid $800.

thanks brother. i'm an idiot. 

i sell whole's for 3k. around 600 hanging weight. You pay for processing. Of course pasture raised, easy going life. I do feed some so they are broke to load. I have lots of pictures in the cattle and barn threads.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

thanks brother. i'm an idiot. 

i sell whole's for 3k. around 600 hanging weight. You pay for processing. Of course pasture raised, easy going life. I do feed some so they are broke to load. I have lots of pictures in the cattle and barn threads.

Hey, I wasn't calling you an idiot. :)

So I recall you have family in Athens.  Are you localish to Tyler or is that just the inlaws?

We have this place called "Cut Beef" locally, that I haven't investigated too extensively yet.  We also have an old as hell meat market that does it right. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Hey, I wasn't calling you an idiot. :)

So I recall you have family in Athens.  Are you localish to Tyler or is that just the inlaws?

We have this place called "Cut Beef" locally, that I haven't investigated too extensively yet.  We also have an old as hell meat market that does it right. 

My brother in law is a lieutenant at Typler PD. My wife is from Eutace. We farm in Henderson and Kaufman counties. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

My brother in law is a lieutenant at Typler PD. My wife is from Eutace. We farm in Henderson and Kaufman counties. 

I won't ask you to name him.  But I've worked in the judiciary for many years now.  I've probably seen his name a time or two.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

You're a good man for doing that. What did you pay?

Been meaning to do it for awhile and finally got around to it. Really glad we did, for any number of reasons. Assuming he gets some pigs this spring, we'll probably get a half-hog as well.

I got a bit of a deal on the quarter, as I'm pretty friendly with the farmer and technically it wasn't a straight quarter. I asked for fewer steaks and more cheap cuts and he was happy to oblige, so I've got a ton of ground beef, a lot of stews and roasts, and ended up with an untrimmed brisket, which I specifically asked for. No tongue though, unfortunately. (I think the steaks sell better at farmers markets, or at least they used to. This whole pandemic situation might change the calculus...)

Thanks for being a steward of the land! Anyone on the fence about it should take the plunge – it's reassuring to have a freezer full of meat, the product is fantastic, and you'll be helping out good people.

• Like 2