Dr. Pancho

Pancho

1 hour ago, AeroHorn said:

The dissertation defense is more of a celebration about crossing the finish line. You have presentation open to the public including Q&A, then the committee asks everyone to leave and they may have something to say, and then they ask you to step out for them to decide. They will invite you back after a few minutes and your advisor steps forward to shake your hand and says, "Dr. Pancho, congratulations!". 

The actual defense is more like a semester long effort with multiple drafts of dissertation based on each committee member's feedback. There will invariably be questions about why didn't you extend this work or try this approach, even though they are all aware of what you have done and published the past couple of years. You have registered to graduate, told everyone that you are graduating, but are sweating to it out to get the committee to sign off on the final document so that you can send that darn thing to the printers. 

TL, DR: Pancho most likely did all the work over the semester and the Zoom was just the other doctors welcoming him to the club.

Thanks I know how if traditionally works.  Have plenty of ‘em in my family alongside my dumbass.  I was just making conversation about how corona and zoom may have slightly influenced it not necessarily this year but perhaps going forward.  Thanks for the insight though sorry to bother you and waste your time.   Makes you feel any better though the last person to receive a doctorate in that field that was related to me was granted by Erwin Rommel