• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Parliament said:

pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck

Neck and neck with Fincher for best director alive right now. So in

Christopher Nolan is holding on line 2.

Except that DV has never made a bad movie, and Fincher is on one of the greatest rolls in cinema history. But ill give u nolan, thats it

Grew up watching the original movie over and over, as it weirded and freaked me the hell out.  But I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

I held back from even touching the books because shit, 8 books, a billion pages apiece. 

But if this movie is as good as Blade Runner 2049, then I'll start on em.

9 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Grew up watching the original movie over and over, as it weirded and freaked me the hell out.  But I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

I held back from even touching the books because shit, 8 books, a billion pages apiece. 

8. Shit. Try 17. 

The cash must flow

- Brian Herbert

Btw, if you never picked up the books, do it. Except for God Emperor, they all read quickly. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Same. I like to think when I’m flipping channels I only watch very good/great movies. This one is neither but I’ll watch the motherfucker to the end. Weird

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

ok, im totally fucked up right now. i've watched the og dune movie maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany time and tonight, i just found out Toto composed the sound track

wtf

how did i miss this since 1984 ?????????????

What, seriously? How did you miss this since 1984?

This guy is a nice guy and does a lot of amazing deep dives on Dune (and other sci-fi and fantasy), but he's always been a Dune fanatic as long as I've watched his channel.  He's one of the few that I'm consistently subscribed to when it comes to sci-fi.

https://www.youtube.com/c/QuinnsIdeas/videos

Oddly enough, Warner Brothers went after he and some of the others pretty hard on the leaked trailer, to the point of them going after him with a take-down notice just because he was talking about what's in the trailer (not showing images or playing audio).  That's not a good look to go after people who have been carrying your water for years.  It also doesn't inspire confidence in the trailer.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This guy is a nice guy and does a lot of amazing deep dives on Dune (and other sci-fi and fantasy), but he's always been a Dune fanatic as long as I've watched his channel.  He's one of the few that I'm consistently subscribed to when it comes to sci-fi.

https://www.youtube.com/c/QuinnsIdeas/videos

Oddly enough, Warner Brothers went after he and some of the others pretty hard on the leaked trailer, to the point of them going after him with a take-down notice just because he was talking about what's in the trailer (not showing images or playing audio).  That's not a good look to go after people who have been carrying your water for years.  It also doesn't inspire confidence in the trailer.

has a trailer been released?  if it’s leaked is it available?

54 minutes ago, futureman said:

has a trailer been released?  if it’s leaked is it available?

September 9 online, but it's supposedly in limited release in the theaters right now.  I don't know what movies it would be attached to other than Tenet.

Warner Brothers had actual humans scouring YouTube and removing all mentions/discussions of the trailer.  Not sure how they were able to get videos of people just talking about it taken down.  

On 4/15/2020 at 7:07 PM, freyguy said:

I haven't read nearly all of the books, as I quit when I started to get tired of it. I enjoyed the first few immensely, but at some point I just didn't care about any of it any longer. I'm normally a completist about these kinds of things, but I decided that I'd rather just have enjoyed what I enjoyed without having to continue past the point where I wanted to. 

Obviously, I can't speak to whether it gets better, whether there's a grand payoff at the end, or whatever, but I would encourage you to follow suit. Read it until you don't want to read it any more. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I enjoyed the first few immensely, but at some point I just didn't care about any of it any longer.

this is what a friend of mine told me.  he lost interest after the first three.  I’m gonna try and read the first one before the movie comes out. 

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

this is what a friend of mine told me.  he lost interest after the first three.  I’m gonna try and read the first one before the movie comes out. 

It has been many years since I read them, but I remember that the first book was awesome, then I read another one or two because I liked the first so much, but they just dragged on and on and on and on and on...

TLDR: Sticking with just the first one is a good call.

The first book is great, and from what I remember 2 and 3 were also good. Somewhere around 4 or 5 it dragged quite a bit. I may have actually read a spark notes of the 5th one. Once it got past whichever that slow one was though, they all were enjoyable to very good.  Without spoilers, it is worth keeping going. 

1 hour ago, pantone159 said:

It has been many years since I read them, but I remember that the first book was awesome, then I read another one or two because I liked the first so much, but they just dragged on and on and on and on and on...

TLDR: Sticking with just the first one is a good call.

This happens a lot with book series, and with successful authors in general, I think. My hypothesis is that after the first one sells, the editors cede power to the writers, and you get bloat. See Fire and Ice, Stephen King's entire career, etc.

Honestly all you need to read is Dune, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune.

You can read Dune Messiah if you want, but really no reason to go past God Emperor, and definitely no reason to read anything Brian Herbert was involved in.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

The first book is great, and from what I remember 2 and 3 were also good. Somewhere around 4 or 5 it dragged quite a bit. I may have actually read a spark notes of the 5th one. Once it got past whichever that slow one was though, they all were enjoyable to very good.  Without spoilers, it is worth keeping going. 

imo the second book is pretty weak. Herbert admitted as much before he died. I'd probably go 1st book then 3rd book, then 4th book then the last two with Dune Messiah closer to the bottom. I've also read most of his son's Dune books that he co-wrote with Kevin Anderson and they aren't bad at all. More so the ones which try to continue the story where it left off then the ones which give back story though the one talking about the machine revolution was good imo. They aren't that long either. You can easily read one a week. I recommend to anyone to finish the original 6 by Herbert sr and to finish the story as written by Herbert jr which is largely patterned after outlines done by his dad.

Edited by Surlybastard

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

This happens a lot with book series, and with successful authors in general, I think. My hypothesis is that after the first one sells, the editors cede power to the writers, and you get bloat. See Fire and Ice, Stephen King's entire career, etc.

I'm not sure Frank Herbert and George RR (as great as they are) are comparable to Stephen King lol.

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

ok I guess. 

I'm not saying everything King has wrote is worth reading, but his body of work is significantly more prestigious. He'd be more analogous to Toklein or Ray Bradbury imo.

I'm not sure how great of an author George RR is anyway. 

1 hour ago, Surlybastard said:

imo the second book is pretty weak. Herbert admitted as much before he died. I'd probably go 1st book then 3rd book, then 4th book then the last two with Dune Messiah closer to the bottom. I've also read most of his son's Dune books that he co-wrote with Kevin Anderson and they aren't bad at all. More so the ones which try to continue the story where it left off then the ones which give back story though the one talking about the machine revolution was good imo. They aren't that long either. You can easily read one a week. I recommend to anyone to finish the original 6 by Herbert sr and to finish the story as written by Herbert jr which is largely patterned after outlines done by his dad.

Sad to say, but it has been about 20 years since I read the first 6. I know Dune hooked me hard and is one of the things I remember strongly about my first years of college. But yeah, i could definitely be mixing up the books after it. 

Dune age appropriate to read to your 8 and 5 year old?

On 4/14/2020 at 9:42 PM, TxTower said:

In.

Stellarn Skarsgard is one of my favorites but having trouble seeing him as Baron Harkonen.

Feed him a shitload of donuts and vodka on a Saturday night. Throw a screaming child in his living room on a Sunday morning. Blow Paprika everywhere. Roll film. 

He’ll be fucking great!

On 8/30/2020 at 7:04 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Sad to say, but it has been about 20 years since I read the first 6. I know Dune hooked me hard and is one of the things I remember strongly about my first years of college. But yeah, i could definitely be mixing up the books after it. 

Dune age appropriate to read to your 8 and 5 year old?

Not sure it would really grab their attention. There's quite a bit of philosophical and religious stuff which they might find boring or hard to understand.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:00 PM, demos said:

Honestly all you need to read is Dune, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune.

You can read Dune Messiah if you want, but really no reason to go past God Emperor, and definitely no reason to read anything Brian Herbert was involved in.

The Brian Herbert books are god awful. Just wretched 

Did really enjoy Chapterhouse (5th I think?) though. 

• Like 1