Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This deserves to be 4 hours long.

But we will get a 4 hour Justice League instead.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Two three-hour movies.  And a related series on HBO Max.

Just looked, they haven’t started on the second Dune movie just yet, and the HBO series is about the sisterhood.  There’s another background Dune series planned for HBO in addition to the sisterhood.   

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Does anyone have copies of the two Dune mini series from the sci-fi channel  ?

I had them at one point.  Need to look and see if I still have them.  I haven't looked through my old DVDs in years.   84 was better IMO.  I remember watching the sci fi ones and laughing at the terrible use of green screens.

57 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

I had them at one point.  Need to look and see if I still have them.  I haven't looked through my old DVDs in years.   84 was better IMO.  I remember watching the sci fi ones and laughing at the terrible use of green screens.

yeah I think Phantom Menace set sci fi back a bit around 2000.  Look at all the cool stuff we can put in our shows now!  Yeah, well, it looks like crap.  Build a set and stick a person in a suit.

Edited by UT_OB1

5 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

yeah I think Phantom Menace set sci fi back a bit around 2000.  Look at all the cool stuff we can put in our shows now!  Yeah, well, it looks like crap.  Build a set and stick a person in a suit.

Phantom Menace (1999), and the Harry Potter (2001), and Lord of the Rings (2001) series really upped the CGI ante in a very short amount of time.  Crazy to think Battlestar Galactica was 2004, but hell, Star Trek Voyager started in '95 and wrapped up in 2001, and Star Trek Enterprise ran from 2001 - 2005.   Comes down to knowing your limits and when to build physical sets and models.  Voyager had some very impressive CGI towards the end in a few areas (Trekyards YouTube channel I think has done some deep dives on it).

Actually, that's not entirely fair - the Star Trek shows could recoup their CGI costs somewhat, since they reused a lot of that stuff, and they had time to do their models and what not.  Dune on SciFi probably had a lot tighter budget, and a much shorter production window.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Phantom Menace (1999), and the Harry Potter (2001), and Lord of the Rings (2001) series really upped the CGI ante in a very short amount of time.  Crazy to think Battlestar Galactica was 2004, but hell, Star Trek Voyager started in '95 and wrapped up in 2001, and Star Trek Enterprise ran from 2001 - 2005.   Comes down to knowing your limits and when to build physical sets and models.  Voyager had some very impressive CGI towards the end in a few areas (Trekyards YouTube channel I think has done some deep dives on it).

Actually, that's not entirely fair - the Star Trek shows could recoup their CGI costs somewhat, since they reused a lot of that stuff, and they had time to do their models and what not.  Dune on SciFi probably had a lot tighter budget, and a much shorter production window.

Phantom Menace overdid it though , and then they doubled down on it for attack of the ones. Harry Potter has some over the top moments (early on only) that went beyond what the technology was capable of, but to me it was still mostly character driven with real actors when it mattered, terrible broom stick scene aside. LoTR is the gold standard imo of that time. Yes, they relied on cgi a lot, but they had the right mix of sets and “real” actors. To me it was what ANH was when it came out - technology pushed just the right amount to make you feel like you are being submersed in a real world, as opposed to PM that was so jarring it kept you from just experiencing it. PM was first in line, and it seemed like a lot of sci-fi at the time thought it was really cool and decided they could do big budget stuff with their green screen. I remember SG1 even feeling like it was going to far after a few seasons.  Shit didn’t look good in PM, and you’re trying to replicate (no pun intended) it on 1/100th the budget?  Wtf?  

Obligatory nerds.gif 

Edited by UT_OB1

Some of you played the Dune RTS in the 90s.  

Dune 2000 was the updated version, and there’s good mods for it     Old copies fetch a premium on eBay   GOG asked Herbert’s estate - the rights reverted back to Herbert’s estate - and they were not interested in reviving the series, or even selling the original games.

You can find it on an myAbandonware and Abandonwaredos

and it’s supported on https://cncnet.org/dune-2000 for online play.

Sites to help with modern OSes

https://dune2k.com/Duniverse/

https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/

http://mygamesworld.tripod.com/games_dune2000/dune2000.html

https://d2kplus.com

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

LOTR & The Force Awakens proved the necessity of realism with the use of live sets, bigatures, etc. 

The Hobbit unfortunately reinforced all that when they decided to try and push IMAX 4K 100% immersed CGI.  It looked too fake in most parts.  But that whole movie was doomed from the beginning.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some of you played the Dune RTS in the 90s.  

Dune 2000 was the updated version, and there’s good mods for it     Old copies fetch a premium on eBay   GOG asked Herbert’s estate - the rights reverted back to Herbert’s estate - and they were not interested in reviving the series, or even selling the original games.

You can find it on an myAbandonware and Abandonwaredos

and it’s supported on https://cncnet.org/dune-2000 for online play.

Sites to help with modern OSes

https://dune2k.com/Duniverse/

https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/

http://mygamesworld.tripod.com/games_dune2000/dune2000.html

https://d2kplus.com

I wore out the Dune 2000 game on my laptop back in the day. Still have the CD. Last time I fired it back up was 2-3 years ago. Still a fun game. “For the Duke!”. 

33 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I wore out the Dune 2000 game on my laptop back in the day. Still have the CD. Last time I fired it back up was 2-3 years ago. Still a fun game. “For the Duke!”. 

I loved Dune II and 2000.

But it also reminds me of what EA did to Westwood Studio.

It's 16-bit, so if you happen to find it somewhere, be wary of what you want to install it on as far as Windows versions.

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 hours ago, freyguy said:

LOTR & The Force Awakens proved the necessity of realism with the use of live sets, bigatures, etc. 

The Hobbit unfortunately reinforced all that when they decided to try and push IMAX 4K 100% immersed CGI.  It looked too fake in most parts.  But that whole movie was doomed from the beginning.

Thankfully, they used physical sets everywhere they could in the new Dune.  Which is challenging for the desert scenes, given how coarse and rough and irritating sand is, and how it gets everywhere

• Haha 2

On 9/10/2020 at 11:21 AM, HoustonFrog said:

Best director out there

Only issue I see is Jason Momoa. Turrible IMO

I got my wife to watch the trailer, thinking Jason Momoa's presence might get her to watch it. It didn't. When she saw the sandworm, she asked why a giant butthole is chasing them?

6 hours ago, Apep said:

I got my wife to watch the trailer, thinking Jason Momoa's presence might get her to watch it. It didn't. When she saw the sandworm, she asked why a giant butthole is chasing them?

My wife watched it because Timothee Chalamet. Ryan Gosling was the only reason she wanted to see Blade Runner 2049, so here's hopes that all of the good scifi movies keep getting actors that women like.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:50 AM, atomheartbevo said:

I loved Dune II and 2000.

But it also reminds me of what EA did to Westwood Studio.

It's 16-bit, so if you happen to find it somewhere, be wary of what you want to install it on as far as Windows versions.

The Sega Genesis game Dune: The Battle of Arrakis was probably my fav take on the RTS Dune games.

There should be screenings where you have to prove that you’ve read the entire series to attend. I can bring a dog eared paperback of God Emperor as my bona fides.

do we need 2 threads for Dune like we had with GOT?

Momoa doesn’t bother me in the slightest as Idaho because Idaho is barely in the first book. I gather this is a 2 part movie to only film Dune, and not even cross over into Dune Messiah. Messiah and then ongoing is when he becomes an (the) important character. Gurney is the more important character in the beginning.  Momoa will be a great book 1 Idaho. I reserve judgement on whether he could play Idaho in Messiah.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Momoa seems like a great Idaho for book 1. Don't see a problem with him in book 2, since standing around machinelike for most of the book seems within his range. Since this will be the third version of Dune, we are probably at the point where most people have either read the book(s) or seen one of the prior versions. Having two threads would almost be like having two threads when Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ sequel comes out.

• Like 2

Since this will be the third version of Dune, we are probably at the point where most people have either read the book(s) or seen one of the prior versions. Having two threads would almost be like having two threads when Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ sequel comes out.

This. I’m all for some NERDZ hot takes pissing off the general forum, but GOT was a completely different animal. A single film (reimagined) of a single novel written years ago isn’t the same as a still incomplete (finish the damn books George!) fiction series turning into a pop culture phenomenon that ran for years.

It’ll be interesting to see if WOT series can generate the same enthusiasm. Less sex. Less gratuitous violence early. Less implied danger to main cast throughout. More “mental” magic hard to capture on film, and may be most importantly, not HBO Sunday night prime time.

I was joking more about a separate thread but non-readers won't care to hear what was missing, or speculate on the second movie which comprises the second half of the book. Feyd Ratha is not even in this movie, unless it's a surprise. 

IF there will even be a second movie, which I assume will come out in late 2022 if not 2023 since they haven't even completed a screenplay much less start pre-production on it.

7 hours ago, Apep said:

Since this will be the third version of Dune, we are probably at the point where most people have either read the book(s) or seen one of the prior versions. Having two threads would almost be like having two threads when Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ sequel comes out

From talking to family and friends, very few have read the books, and not many have seen the Lynch film or Syfy series, or if they've seen the Lynch film, they remember Sting or some of the weird shit.  Anecdotal, but I think it's been crowded out of the mainstream public conscious over the past 20 years or so, at least since the Syfy series.

It's not on the level of Star Wars or Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.  Yet.

Having said that, this trailer has caught a lot of attention.   It threw a lot of meat out there for fans of the previous movie (and the book), but it was also constructed to pull in non-fans.

But holy shit are a lot of people going to be in for a surprise if they decide to read past the first book.

Let's say, hypothetically, that I had never heard of this book, 80's movie or TV series.  I then see the trailer here and decide it looks bad ass.  Based on that, what would you suggest I do? Read the book? Read 7+ books? (I really don't have time for that)  Watch what sounds like a pretty bad 80's sci-fy movie or miniseries?  I'm open to suggestions on this one.

If you want to watch the 1984 version, watch it before reading the books. It has really great imagery, but it takes liberties with the source material. Then read the first three books. The fourth book is alright and the fifth and sixth book kinda suck, so feel free to skip those. Then watch the SyFy version. Or watch the SyFy series before reading the books. It doesn't matter much.

8 hours ago, Apep said:

Momoa seems like a great Idaho for book 1. Don't see a problem with him in book 2, since standing around machinelike for most of the book seems within his range. Since this will be the third version of Dune, we are probably at the point where most people have either read the book(s) or seen one of the prior versions. Having two threads would almost be like having two threads when Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ sequel comes out.

Let’s be honest here, the people on this thread probably make up about 50% of the audience that is still alive that saw the syfy version. And that version is 20 years old. Your average 18-30 year old hasn’t heard of Dune. I may be biased because I’m on this thread, but if done right I think it has LoTR/SW/Harry Potter potential as a franchise. 

2 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

Let's say, hypothetically, that I had never heard of this book, 80's movie or TV series.  I then see the trailer here and decide it looks bad ass.  Based on that, what would you suggest I do? Read the book? Read 7+ books? (I really don't have time for that)  Watch what sounds like a pretty bad 80's sci-fy movie or miniseries?  I'm open to suggestions on this one.

Do you really like to read?  Do you really like to read SciFi/Fantasy?  Do you really like to read  convoluted epic SciFi/Fantasy?  If so, then read the book.  It's really really great, in that vein. So is much of the rest of the book series.

But if not,  if you don't really like reading that style of epic SciFi/Fantasy, then you probably wouldn't enjoy the books.  If you're not into reading stuff like that, then I'd actually recommend the opposite of what most on here are saying, and just go see the NEW movie first.  Because I agree, it looks bad-ass. And then, if you really like it, read the book.  If you really like that, read more of the books and see the 1984 version of the movie.  And if you really like that and still need more, watch the SyFy miniseries version which, in my opinion, is the least interesting of all of the above.

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Agree - read the book/s. I wouldn't see the 84 movie until after you have seen Villeneuva's version. It has a television campiness to it that didn't quite fit the book, in my opinion. 

It's a great book/s if you immerse yourself in it. 

I definitely agree on NOT seeing the 84 movie until after seeing the new one.  But I don't agree that it had a television campiness.  I think it still felt like it had a Grand Cinema format, it simply had an added layer of David Lynch weirdness to it that was often unnecessary and THAT is the bit that didn't fit the book.  Just my opinion, obviously.  I still loved that movie at the time, and since, but I just didn't agree with all of the choices Lynch made, and some parts became jarring because of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I definitely agree on NOT seeing the 84 movie until after seeing the new one.  But I don't agree that it had a television campiness.  I think it still felt like it had a Grand Cinema format, it simply had an added layer of David Lynch weirdness to it that was often unnecessary and THAT is the bit that didn't fit the book.  Just my opinion, obviously.  I still loved that movie at the time, and since, but I just didn't agree with all of the choices Lynch made, and some parts became jarring because of it.

Good take. Agree - the campiness to me was the Harkonnens.

But you are right - it was the Lynch weirdness really as you said, not full on Adam West Batman campiness. 

Really looking forward to this film. Love the Dune Universe . . . and the spice.

• Hook 'Em 1