Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

3 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Good take. Agree - the campiness to me was the Harkonnens.

But you are right - it was the Lynch weirdness really as you said, not full on Adam West Batman campiness. 

Really looking forward to this film. Love the Dune Universe . . . and the spice.

Yeah, for sure, Lynch's take on the Harkonnens was simply off, and somewhat off-putting.

I still loved that movie, and love the books and the universe.  I'm extremely excited about this new one, even with the butthole-sandworms and Aquaman and everything. :)

(Now you have me wondering how a 100% faithful Adam West Batman campy version of the book might play, though.  It could be a lot of fun!)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

Let's say, hypothetically, that I had never heard of this book, 80's movie or TV series.  I then see the trailer here and decide it looks bad ass.  Based on that, what would you suggest I do? Read the book? Read 7+ books? (I really don't have time for that)  Watch what sounds like a pretty bad 80's sci-fy movie or miniseries?  I'm open to suggestions on this one.

One of my favorite YouTube channels, Quinn's Ideas (used to be something about Fire/Ice), goes really in-depth on a lot of classic sci-fi.   He's a total fanboy of classic sci-fi, and can really geek out in some of his deep dives,  but actually does some really good takes where he is not going over the heads of casual or non-fans.  

He's probably done the most comprehensive coverage of Dune going back several years.  He does deep-dives on all of the books, including newer ones, as well as specific topics within the Dune universe.

He's got a 5-minute guide to the Dune universe that's a Cliff's Notes guide to the Dune universe (it's obviously not quite spoiler-free, but if you've seen the trailer for the new movie, you've been more spoiled on specific points in the first book than anything in this video).  It's for people not familiar with the movie/TV series/books, but who are intrigued.

You will be spoiled on some very broad points/concepts.

You could even, in theory, if you wanted to skip the movie/series, and didn't want to read the books, go through his ultimate guides to Dune, where he breaks down the main concepts of the books, discusses the movies, etc.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Let’s be honest here, the people on this thread probably make up about 50% of the audience that is still alive that saw the syfy version. And that version is 20 years old. Your average 18-30 year old hasn’t heard of Dune. I may be biased because I’m on this thread, but if done right I think it has LoTR/SW/Harry Potter potential as a franchise. 

1234.  Like I said, the trailer is perfect, both for long-time fans/readers (going back to Jodorowsky with the Pink Floyd song), but also for casual movie-goers.  

And damn, he hit it out of the park with the cast.  I've had friends/relatives comment that they know nothing about the books/adaptations, but with all of those DC/MCU/Star Wars actors, they are really interested.  

And I hate to admit it, but Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya are going to bring in the YA/teen crowd big time, and that trailer felt like it was meant to get their attention.  I don't know if that's what he was going for, but this has a helluva lot of potential as a franchise, with as many demographics as he's hitting with the cast and trailer.

HBO doing a TV series on the sisterhood is intriguing as well.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Do you really like to read?  Do you really like to read SciFi/Fantasy?  Do you really like to read  convoluted epic SciFi/Fantasy?  If so, then read the book.  It's really really great, in that vein. ...

Q1 is the most important question imo.  The original Dune novel is amazing.  World building on a grand scale.   It's got a bit of everything.  

If anyone likes Sci-Fi or really want to see this movie, I would recommend reading the book first. 

Every Dune fan boy wants a movie that goes in-depth to the level of the book. It's impossible. Like the 84 film and SciFy miniseries, this new movie cannot hit on every point of the book. If you read the book, you will know how to fill in the gaps in the movie. 

the movie has to be stand-alone and an in-depth understanding of the spacing guild or bene gesserit would bore the average film goer. 

17 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Just watched the 1984 version. I never bothered to see it. The Twin Peaks reboot on Showtime makes a whole lot more sense.  It’s so Lynch-Ian and it doesn’t need to be.  The fucking inner voice.  Anyway, entertaining enough.  Will try to watch SyFy version before movie comes out.  

Master Pancake is doing their riff of 84 Dune tonight - streamed on Twitch 

On 9/16/2020 at 3:51 AM, Waterboarder said:

I'd always recommend the first book.  It's one of my favorites, and stands on its own very well.

Echo this but also the followup comments about it being a long, grand epic, not a quick read. Read the first book, if you love it, read on until you don't. The series gets weird and gets slow and gets hard to read, and the new Brian Herbert books are just mass-market filler. I re-read the first book every year or two and absolutely love it, but I've never re-read any of the rest.

• Like 1

My version of the first book has a definitions section at the end. I found it useful in the first or second read to flip back to it frequently.

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Echo this but also the followup comments about it being a long, grand epic, not a quick read. Read the first book, if you love it, read on until you don't. The series gets weird and gets slow and gets hard to read, and the new Brian Herbert books are just mass-market filler. I re-read the first book every year or two and absolutely love it, but I've never re-read any of the rest.

Dune Messiah is the biggest miss, imho. I always felt it should have been a deeper look into the dune world at that point.  

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My version of the first book has a definitions section at the end. I found it useful in the first or second read to flip back to it frequently.

Dune Messiah is the biggest miss, imho. I always felt it should have been a deeper look into the dune world at that point.  

I, for one, actually enjoyed Dune Messiah's more evocative approach to worldbuilding. It should be seen as a coda to Dune and not a standalone novel, unlike Children of Dune. It also could be dropped from the series without much loss.

On 9/15/2020 at 6:09 PM, atomheartbevo said:

One of my favorite YouTube channels, Quinn's Ideas (used to be something about Fire/Ice), goes really in-depth on a lot of classic sci-fi.   He's a total fanboy of classic sci-fi, and can really geek out in some of his deep dives,  but actually does some really good takes where he is not going over the heads of casual or non-fans.  

He's probably done the most comprehensive coverage of Dune going back several years.  He does deep-dives on all of the books, including newer ones, as well as specific topics within the Dune universe.

I love that guy's channel. And lulz at Jodorowsky's metaphor at 4:30

SPOILERS in the video

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m betting that Dune is delayed until next summer. Too much is riding on to release in covid. But even a delay could prevent the second half from ever being filmed unless it’s a blockbuster.

This is going to be another Game of Thrones (book version) I'm going to like it and get invested and the second half will never get made.  At least this time I know how it ends.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2020 at 11:29 AM, jeevsie said:

Watched the 1984 version a ton of times as a kid. Never read the books though.  This new release got me to download audiobook 1 and I'm now listening on my commute.  Pretty good matching up with my memory of the movie so far.

I don’t hate the 84 movie as it’s a David Lynch move that uses the book for characters and a basic direction of the story. I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch it but if I saw it was on, I might stop on the channel.

The 84 Lynch movie gets panned a lot for it's deficiencies, but it actually did a decent job of telling the story in a compressed standard movie timeframe.  There is so much story, exposition, characters and sub-plots to cover that it's not really possible to do the story justice in that format (I think I said this before, but fuck it - I've been drinking and the Horns won a wild one).

The spice must flow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

The 84 Lynch movie gets panned a lot for it's deficiencies, but it actually did a decent job of telling the story in a compressed standard movie timeframe.  There is so much story, exposition, characters and sub-plots to cover that it's not really possible to do the story justice in that format (I think I said this before, but fuck it - I've been drinking and the Horns won a wild one).

The spice must flow.

Dune 1984 is a good movie. A lot weird Lynch things going on while staying faithful to the book which I love. He obviously made better movies, but he should be proud of Dune. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Dune 1984 is a good movie. A lot weird Lynch things going on while staying faithful to the book which I love. He obviously made better movies, but he should be proud of Dune. 

He's still hung up on it, or rather it's a bit of a regret for him.  I think he needed to make two movies out of it.

It's pretty damned amazing for 1984.  I'm still amazed it was greenlit, but Star Wars was so big, a lot of studios were willing to take chances.

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's still hung up on it, or rather it's a bit of a regret for him.  I think he needed to make two movies out of it.

It's pretty damned amazing for 1984.  I'm still amazed it was greenlit, but Star Wars was so big, a lot of studios were willing to take chances.

I've read about the "Star Wars backlash" to Dune 1984. The marketing must have been really poor because people went to theaters expecting a kid's space movie. Dune is definitely not that. 

I'm glad it's not in trailer, but it will be fascinating to see how Vlillenuves depicts the Navigators. It was the weirdest scene in a weird movie in 1984. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've read about the "Star Wars backlash" to Dune 1984. The marketing must have been really poor because people went to theaters expecting a kid's space movie. Dune is definitely not that.

Don't forget Krull, which came out the year before, and also had Francesca Annis.

There was some weird shit that came out, trying to capture the Star Wars audience, and Krull was up there (and borrowed from Dune and Star Wars).

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Seems like all through the 80s and 90s, you could find either Krull or Beastmaster playing on HBO/Cinemax on any given day.  And that was a GOOD thing! 

Tanya Roberts in Beastmaster was spank bank worthy  

Edited by Xminus6
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I wonder what happens when all these delayed blockbusters get leaked as torrents. It's going to happen.  Do they just go ahead and push them to video-on-demand?

Batman and Dune are both Warner Brothers.  If the other chains go under, I'd be surprised if they don't push them to HBO Max.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:12 PM, fellside said:

Do the facts about navigators changing their form show up in later books? Because I have no memory of that from reading Dune.

Paul asks about it before the trip from Caladan to Arrakis when wondering why they aren’t allowed to leave their ship during the transit.  He asks if the guild members hide because they are mutated from using so much spice.  

What books does the original cover and will it be the same for the new?  Just finished listening to the first book - guess I'll have time for more now...

Spoiler

What is very vivid from the original is the weapon while using the voice.  That didn't happen in the first book so it made me wonder about the source material coverage.

Edited by jeevsie

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dune delayed to fall of 2021.  Same with Batman.

FFDFJDKSALJFDKLSAJFKLDSAJFKLDJSAKJFDSAJKLFJKLAJFKLDS

There won't be any movie theater chains and IMAXes left by then.

FJDKSLJAFKDLSAJFFEJRWJAKJFJKDSJKALFKJDLSAJFKLDSAJKLFDJKL

Ron Swanson Computer GIFs | Tenor

17 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yep. It’s all over.

In two years the movie industry won’t look anything like it did in February 2020

Good.  Fuck movie theaters.  I know its great and fun for parents to take their kids (even though it breaks the bank), but it's such crap half the time.