Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, futureman said:

The sandworms produce the Spice, which permits Navigators to transmit matter at faster than light movement through time. 

The Navigators are Spice junkies. They float in spice. They move matter through time when they binge on spice. 

Add Game of Thrones tension to this mix and ancient philosophical questions and one has the Dune Universe. 

This universe cannot exist with the Spice and the Sandworms that produce it.

Herbert was correct - It's a story about worms. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Dune is a universe.

19 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

The sandworms produce the Spice, which permits Navigators to transmit matter at faster than light movement through time. 

The Navigators are Spice junkies. They float in spice. They move matter through time when they binge on spice. 

Add Game of Thrones tension to this mix and ancient philosophical questions and one has the Dune Universe. 

This universe cannot exist with the Spice and the Sandworms that produce it.

Herbert was correct - It's a story about worms. 

That's what never made sense to me, there's only 1 place in the universe to get spice ok. How the fuck did they get there in the first place without the spice?

That's what never made sense to me, there's only 1 place in the universe to get spice ok. How the fuck did they get there in the first place without the spice?
Travelling between planets was possible before Spice. Spice just allows those who use massive doses to see patches in the future allowing them to steer a ship at light speed without crashing. This allows for a faster transit of goods.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/24/2021 at 3:08 PM, Michael Knight said:

Before the war to eliminate the machine overlords, humans in the Dune Universe had computers that allowed them to travel faster than light.  The spice eliminated the dependence on computers for faster than light travel.

The thinking machines were purged, which gave the Spacing Guild  monopoly control of FTL travel.

Dune movie starts 10,190 years later after the establishment of the Spacing Guild and the elimination of the machine threat.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Dune movie starts 10,190 years later after the establishment of the Spacing Guild and the elimination of the machine threat.

If the movie makes a shitload of money, and if a bunch of people watch the Bene Gesserit series on HBO Max, then it'll become their MCU, and we'll have a half-a-dozen TV series delving into the human vs machine overlord wars, the rise of the Spacing Guild, etc.

Brian Herbert will be diving into a Scrooge McDuck vault filled with gold.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Before the war to eliminate the machine overlords, humans in the Dune Universe had computers that allowed them to travel faster than light.  The spice eliminated the dependence on computers for faster than light travel.

The thinking machines were purged, which gave the Spacing Guild  monopoly control of FTL travel.

you talk like a bookfag

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

6e591e42-a696-4e82-8c76-0f89b6b6dd39-tex

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

B1DAAB50-09FC-4D08-A397-22A49D6A004C.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, crash_davis said:

not trying to be a nitpicking asshole cause most everyone should know the story, BUT got damned if that trailer didn't show most of the gotdamned movie. i loved the trailer but damn, leave some seduction and mystery.

I mean it's Dune...you already know what's going to happen.  We just hope to see a better version of it.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:53 PM, tx 3 putt said:

re read the book

watching the 2000 sci fi mini series. 

i would love to find the children of dune mini series 

The entire damned thing is impossible to find for some reason.  You can watch the Dune Miniseries(and Children of dune) in bad format on Youtube with commercials and shit...and I can get the DVD's from my mom.  But I can't for the live of me find any of it Blu Ray....I actually enjoyed the SciFi(that was on purpose) Dune.  Not perfect, but decently done.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

I mean it's Dune...you already know what's going to happen.  We just hope to see a better version of it.

The entire damned thing is impossible to find for some reason.  You can watch the Dune Miniseries(and Children of dune) in bad format on Youtube with commercials and shit...and I can get the DVD's from my mom.  But I can't for the live of me find any of it Blu Ray....I actually enjoyed the SciFi(that was on purpose) Dune.  Not perfect, but decently done.

will ferrell meatloaf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Drew said:

SciFi > SyFy, but yeah, they've been shit when it comes to a lot of things in Blu-ray.  There's probably companies out there that would love to convert a lot of their stuff to BR, and would do the clean-up/upscaling/whatever that is needed for a cut of the profits.

But be careful what you wish for.  

I've been waiting 15 fucking years for Brotherhood of the Wolf to come out on BR in Region 1 (so I don't have to mess with my player) and they finally release it a few weeks ago and they fucking release it with shit English subtitles.

Of course, I don't need subtitles when a hot-ass nude Monica Bellucci is on the screen.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

SciFi > SyFy, but yeah, they've been shit when it comes to a lot of things in Blu-ray.  There's probably companies out there that would love to convert a lot of their stuff to BR, and would do the clean-up/upscaling/whatever that is needed for a cut of the profits.

But be careful what you wish for.  

I've been waiting 15 fucking years for Brotherhood of the Wolf to come out on BR in Region 1 (so I don't have to mess with my player) and they finally release it a few weeks ago and they fucking release it with shit English subtitles.

Of course, I don't need subtitles when a hot-ass nude Monica Bellucci is on the screen.

Searching for DVDs? Waiting for Blu-Ray disk releases (BDs use letters for regions, not numbers)? What fucking year is this?

image.png.c74f32f1ec3108b30529eb5914771c2c.png

Edited by rage-a-holic

The movie is going to approach some of the issues in the book differently. Homosexuality, the environmental movement, gender issues, lots of stuff. The special effects and costumes and set design from the previous efforts were just terrible. The sand worms from the Lynch movie were lifted up with little strings, other effects shots were done in the parking lot of a soccer stadium in Mexico City.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...