Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, semitired said:

Saw the original when it came out and enjoyed it. I guess I needed to read the writeups on this one, because it was getting close to the end and I was thinking "Wait, this is only half the story". Oh well,  I guess I have part II to look forward too.

Warner Bros probably won't finance it.  Seems like it would've been greenlit and in production already if they were committed to the project. By waiting, they risk all the players being tied up with other projects.  It'd be 5+ years if we're lucky.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Warner Bros probably won't finance it.  Seems like it would've been greenlit and in production already if they were committed to the project. By waiting, they risk all the players being tied up with other projects.  It'd be 5+ years if we're lucky.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-matrix-sopranos-sequels-hbo-max-theatrical-model-1234859504/

Edited by MoJames

15 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I liked it, as did the other three people in the theater. Strange going to a movie with this hype and it’s almost empty.

There were problem 8-10 in there with me at 12:10 today, but to be fair, there was basically a showing every 45 minutes today at that theater 

I’ve anecdotally that the theaters were packed last night for the opening 

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

There were problem 8-10 in there with me at 12:10 today, but to be fair, there was basically a showing every 45 minutes today at that theater 

I’ve anecdotally that the theaters were packed last night for the opening 

I was surprised. I absolutely thought this particular movie would bring out my fellow nerds. 

i've never read the book, didn't see the first movie. i knew nothing of the story going in. watched it in my living room. 

thought it was awesome. i'm in. 

cinematography and music very reminiscent of BR2049. thought the dragonfly helicopters were badass.

i didn't even know who was in it but as soon as i saw young Mr. Chalamet...well helllooo 😊

wish we'd seen it in a theater.

Watched on HBO Max, wished I would have seen it in a theater. Really enjoyed it. 

Been about 20 years since I read the books, and haven’t rewatched anything so I only kind of remember things. I thought the movie did a great job of world building without making it too hard to follow. 

30 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

How many books ?

cuz imma bout to hit up Amazon 

There seem to be only two lines of thought about the books: read the first one and stop, or read all of them, even the terrible cash grabs done by the kid.

Herbert wrote the first book after spending time in the Oregon desert. Nobody would publish it till a technical manual publisher did it on a whim.  I don’t think he really planned on it becoming the huge success it did.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

I only read the first book and that was a long time ago. The big difference between it and many other sci-fi novels is the reading level needed. A middle school kid wouldn't be able to process everything in the book. Its for High School Senior or older kids. Dune is not watered down with talking animals or bumpy headed aliens meant for action figure merchandising.  My understanding is that they get a bit less good with each installment, and the later ones by his son are just pulp sci-fi for crazy superfans. I would guess the movie would get more kids interested in the books. The books also focus on social science, people and society changing over time, its not hard sci-fi with astronauts and physics.

On 10/22/2021 at 5:57 AM, bernorange said:

I enjoyed it.  I was surprised that Mamoa didn't totally ruin the movie with his over the top ham shtick.  Casting was great aside from him and he was adequate.

Mamoa was my biggest concern going in, and I think he was better than adequate. In fact, I think he was pretty damn good, surprisingly. 

• Like 1

So my boss is apparently a huge dune fan and went to see this on Thursday night.  Friday morning when asked if he enjoyed it, the answer was it’s visually amazing but in an effort to avoid spoilers he never read anything about it- including the fact that it is a 2 movie series. 
i teams’d him later saying I got a bit of a chuckle thinking that he was sitting in the theater after 2 hours saying to himself that there’s a lot of plot left for being 2 hours gone already.  He replied that’s exactly what happened.  Bit of a roller coaster for him. Is there any reference to part 2 in or before the credits?

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So my boss is apparently a huge dune fan and went to see this on Thursday night.  Friday morning when asked if he enjoyed it, the answer was it’s visually amazing but in an effort to avoid spoilers he never read anything about it- including the fact that it is a 2 movie series. 
i teams’d him later saying I got a bit of a chuckle thinking that he was sitting in the theater after 2 hours saying to himself that there’s a lot of plot left for being 2 hours gone already.  He replied that’s exactly what happened.  Bit of a roller coaster for him. Is there any reference to part 2 in or before the credits?

The opening title sequence says Dune part one

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/22/2021 at 12:54 AM, MoJames said:

Fuck the critics. True to the book, well casted, loved how the portrayed the voice.

I'm ready for part 2 as well as dune messiah, children of dune, etc.

This. Too bad we gotta wait a few years.

1 hour ago, trza-hawk said:

I only read the first book and that was a long time ago. The big difference between it and many other sci-fi novels is the reading level needed. A middle school kid wouldn't be able to process everything in the book. Its for High School Senior or older kids. Dune is not watered down with talking animals or bumpy headed aliens meant for action figure merchandising.  My understanding is that they get a bit less good with each installment, and the later ones by his son are just pulp sci-fi for crazy superfans. I would guess the movie would get more kids interested in the books. The books also focus on social science, people and society changing over time, its not hard sci-fi with astronauts and physics.

Este.  Especially the reading level. 

Hence the stop at 1 or fall down the rabbit hole.  The next couple of books are supposed to be pretty good, but they get progressively worse.  I’ve had enough people tell me they wished they had stopped at one, that I’ve never gone on.  I have reread the Dune tho.

it’s a bit like the Matrix, I guess.

I watched it last night on HBO Max because I couldn't wait, scheduled to see in IMAX next weekend.

I enjoyed it and am very glad they appear to be green lighting the next installment.

I will say if I was new to the series the lack of narration would have made following somewhat confusing.

5 minutes ago, Duckman said:

I watched it last night on HBO Max because I couldn't wait, scheduled to see in IMAX next weekend.

I enjoyed it and am very glad they appear to be green lighting the next installment.

I will say if I was new to the series the lack of narration would have made following somewhat confusing.

I didn’t know jack shit about dune other than spice and worms. I had no problem following it

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Duckman said:

so i did cheat a little at the beginning, i looked up a plot summary, just to get the gist of the initial turnover to the Atraides... so yeah i was confused for like the first 20 mins but once i got the big picture it was cool.