Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't want to spoil the movie, but refresh my mind - were the Fremen drinking each other's piss in the books, or just their own? Also, did they really carry around hydration charts that showed whether they were pissing excellence or am I thinking of something else.

Edit: I'm probably thinking of another book and movie.

That movie was On Golden Shower.

• Drool 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/29/2021 at 7:25 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Marketing on this kind of movie is about the cost of the movie again. From a friend of mine at Sony pics they were pretty confident in losing money on this and the doubts about the sequel ever happening were definitely real.

So this just confirms to me what I already know, those in the TV and Movie Industry have no clue what the average joe wants to see. They're so out of touch with their audience, they wouldn't know what "good" was if it jumped up and bit them in the ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MillerEP said:

So this just confirms to me what I already know, those in the TV and Movie Industry have no clue what the average joe wants to see. They're so out of touch with their audience, they wouldn't know what "good" was if it jumped up and bit them in the ass. 

They know what people will watch.   You'd be surprised how much research goes into movies before they are approved.  They will occasionally allow prestige movies to be made that lose money but garner awards, but for the most part they have a pretty tight leash on what gets made.  

COVID threw a wrench into the plans - some studios/companies could wait it out, but some were practically living box office receipts to box office receipts.  At the same time, COVID also gave them the chance to try full-on streaming (which Disney+, Paramount, Peacock, HBOMax, etc. all did) and see how much they really needed movie theaters, or rather how much people were willing to pay to watch movies in the comfort of their own homes.

Edited by atomheartbevo

8 hours ago, remoh said:

ps: dune 2 will take a turn for fan fiction. I am applying to be story adaptation consultant. 

When you go back and look at the 1980s Dune, and you realize how much was compressed into montages, it gives me a lot of hope for Part 2.  Montages were basically the only way that everything could be fit into a few hours.

I'm very excited for Part 2. People who aren't familiar with Dune, book or the original movie or the series, will be surprised.

I think the film pleased almost everyone. No small feat considering the audience. From casual moviegoers to Last Podcast on the Left Dune book super nerds. 

Dennis Villeneuve’s pacing was excellent and he explained just enough so everyone could understand. 

That said I hope the Bene Gesserit prequel show is a book(s) deep dive. 

• Like 1

Movie is fucking awesome. Enjoyed the original Dune. Love this much more. The sets, the visuals, the expansive scenery of the scenes, the pacing, the content, the dialogue and the acting all fucking rocked. Way excited to see part 2.

Vileneuve is my favorite director. Loved what he did with Blade Runner. Love what he's doing with Dune.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:27 PM, atomheartbevo said:

ba8d4997990e1160b513179e5e6d2f2309-06-du

IMDb Trivia : 

Feyd-Rautha was originally to have stepped out of the "steam bath" nude. Sting had agreed to shoot the scene nude, but the studio panicked and told the costume designers that they had to put something on him. The skimpy winged g-string he wore was made almost at the very last minute before the scene was set to film.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

IMDb Trivia : 

Feyd-Rautha was originally to have stepped out of the "steam bath" nude. Sting had agreed to shoot the scene nude, but the studio panicked and told the costume designers that they had to put something on him. The skimpy winged g-string he wore was made almost at the very last minute before the scene was set to film.

what a prude

On 11/5/2021 at 11:09 PM, Bravo said:

My son and I watched it. It was alright. I guess I was comparing to the original Dune which absolutely murders this new version. I want my son now to see the original Dune so he knows why I dragged his ass to see this slightly above avg movie.

This is a bad take

• Hook 'Em 4

Had to see this on the big screen and glad I did. I knew nothing of the first movie or the books (born shortly after all that), but everybody has seemed to like this first installment so I was in after reading reviews. I'm hooked and waiting for Part 2. 

Now I'm making my way through the old posts on this thread, apparently I really missed out. Also, hey, that's the detective from Twin Peaks in that trailer. Oh wait, Lynch directed the first movie?? (I just saw the first season of Twin Peaks last year, really enjoyed it, but decided I won't be watching Season 2). Pretty cool. 

30 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I thought it was extraordinarily well done. There were a few changes from the book I didn't really love but overall it was very faithful. I also think they picked a weird place to end but overall 4 stars. 

It would have been weirder if they started in on Paul's joining the Fremen and then abruptly ended.  It's one of those things where they couldn't just go on for another 5 minutes, it would have been a good 30 minutes or more.

And reminder that in the original, a lot of the Fremen/Harkonian battles were montages.  Villeneuve is going to show us the real deal.

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would have been weirder if they started in on Paul's joining the Fremen and then abruptly ended.  It's one of those things where they couldn't just go on for another 5 minutes, it would have been a good 30 minutes or more.

And reminder that in the original, a lot of the Fremen/Harkonian battles were montages.  Villeneuve is going to show us the real deal.

I agree. That's also an interesting thing about the book. Most of the action sequences are alluded to. 

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

This movie fucks. 

Only on HBOmax for another day or two, so don't miss out. 

Will be back 60 days after it goes away. Not sure why the fuck it needs to go away for 60 days. Its not like there are ppl who aanted to watch it didnt watch it already. Fucking Hollywood. 

I wanted to watch it all along but didn't get around to it until last night, and only watched it then because I learned that it was leaving soon. 

I think the idea of something being permanently on demand can lead to procrastination and a shifting of priorities, at least for certain people. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I think the idea of something being permanently on demand can lead to procrastination and a shifting of priorities, at least for certain people. 

Guilty.

46 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Probably so the theaters can get their chance to keep all the revenue from it for a bit.

Rental market I believe.

15 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t remember the duel with will.i.am from the book. Maybe it happened later?

It happened a bit later in the book. will.i.am never takes to Paul, and eventually challenges him once they get to the Seitch.  It’s a super important moment for both Jessica and Paul, but in very different ways. 

Spoiler

Paul is even more dominant as a fighter in the book and kinda toys with the guy unintentionally, since he’s not used to stabbing quickly due to his knife fighting training.  DV implies it in the movie, but Paul has to decide whether he should let the guy kill him to stop the coming war and his ascension as the messiah.  He understands he’s in a place where he can’t see the future, so he actually controls his fate.

He takes his name Muad’dib after when he is accepted as a full freman. 

Jessica has to make a snap decision after whether to marry the Freman leader or become their Reverend Mother. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 2:13 PM, Bateshorn said:

It happened a bit later in the book. will.i.am never takes to Paul, and eventually challenges him once they get to the Seitch.  It’s a super important moment for both Jessica and Paul, but in very different ways. 

Hide contents

Paul is even more dominant as a fighter in the book and kinda toys with the guy unintentionally, since he’s not used to stabbing quickly due to his knife fighting training.  DV implies it in the movie, but Paul has to decide whether he should let the guy kill him to stop the coming war and his ascension as the messiah.  He understands he’s in a place where he can’t see the future, so he actually controls his fate.

He takes his name Muad’dib after when he is accepted as a full freman. 

Jessica has to make a snap decision after whether to marry the Freman leader or become their Reverend Mother. 

I seem to remember Jessica making a point of saying something to Paul after the knife duel. Something like, "you're a killer now", or "how does it feel, killer?". The point being that he has left his youth and innocence behind. 

Surprised that wasn't brought up in the movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

Warning: bookfag:

Spoiler

She borderline hits him with Voice at that point, it's compared to a slap to the face. My interpretation is that it is to stop the adrenaline and bloodlust, prevent him gloating/enjoying the victory, so he does not get pleasure in killing (you get the stark contrast that this is the opposite of what the Harkonnens would feel/do).

As she approaches after the kill, her internal monologue says "He has killed a man in clear superiority of mind and muscle. He must not grow to enjoy such a victory." Afterwards, she "heard the return to sanity, the remorse in his voice." - signifying a return to human from animal bloodlust.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2021 at 5:44 AM, Buzzrock said:

I don’t remember the duel with will.i.am from the book. Maybe it happened later?

I dont either, but if it happened in the movie, I hope he died. 

Does the canon have any party successfully killing a sandworm before? Or did they get those cool knives simply from works that died of old age (or lupus)

From the book,

Spoiler

Kynes mentions that short of atomics, electroshock to each segment is the only way they've killed adult worms. I sort of assumed the sandworms were like sharks, losing teeth all the time.

Would be a cool bit of lore to learn about "bound" crysknives, but honestly it's one of those things better left unexplained.

Edited by Sam Lin
  • Hook 'Em 2