Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know if they could sustain it, but I would love to see 4 movies in total to get through children of dune.  Assuming a part 2 gets through Dune, I don't see 1 movie alone doing justice for messiah and children.

Yep.  They could draw this out ala Marvel if done correctly.  A series with an "Ultron-esq" Erasmus and the Titans would be amazing.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  They could draw this out ala Marvel if done correctly.  A series with an "Ultron-esq" Erasmus and the Titans would be amazing.  

yeah, I've read some of the books involving them. I haven't read too many of the non-Frank books but a bit on erasmus, omnius and the titans. 

I didn't finish my thought: The Dune universe is so big and spans a long time that I don't see how a movie series could adequately cover them and even whether there is an audience. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Saw yesterday in the theater, first time in almost 2 years. Really enjoyed it. I wish movies still had intermissions halfway through as I had to run out during a fairly intense part  about 75% through b/c my bladder was close to exploding.

Put me in the camp that didn't realize this was "Dune: Part 1" (with an implied sequel) until the words flashed on the screen. That's for the best as there's just no way to condense the whole book into a single movie unless it was ~5 hours long. 

Made the mistake of watching Dune in a smaller theater screen a few nights ago. Decided to amp that up by seeing it on IMAX Laser tonight. 10x better especially with a top notch sound system. If someone plans to see it soon, just go for the best screen in your area. Definitely worth the cost.

For anyone that has already seen it, I found the story itself to be better on a second viewing. Caught a few things missed during the first, and it just went faster when you know what's up next in the movie. FYI, I've read the book countless times

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, 52-80 said:

bad mouth the movies and tv series all you want, but if anyone denigrates the PC video game, i will hurt you IRL

dune-2-05.png

The Sega Genesis game at a friend's house was my first intro to Dune, and is what led to reading every book, regular re-reads of the first book, playing the other games, all the movies and TV series, etc - made me a super-fan. Friend owned the game and I could never convince him to sell it to me. Finally bought my own copy of eBay for way too much money much later in life.

And yes to the comment that they should have owned the game market that Warcraft/Starcraft took. The game had all the dynamics, was quite advanced for its time in resource management, in unit actions like Devastator self-destruct, Deviator mind control, Sonic Tank damage all in path, etc, and having the Starport for a build vs buy economy. And it had the book's existing fans to expand its market. Ultimately I think biggest hurdle was the game was fine, the game play was not - it wasn't until the PC with assignable hotkey groups of units, many more available hotkey shortcut commands (select all, jump to last alert, a good attack move command), that it really got smooth to play.

TL:DR if you denigrate the game I will get in line behind 52-80 to hurt you IRL.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I guess they need to lock Jason Momoa up with a long term contract since Duncan Idaho is the only character to appear in all six of the original Dune books

I somehow don't think that will be a problem.  The DCEU stuff seems kind of iffy going into the future, and he seems the type to like a very high-paying steady paycheck.

From the article:

The first part of the sci-fi epic, which opened Oct. 22 in the U.S., earned $41 million in ticket sales in its first weekend. That result was the best film opening of the year for Warner Bros. and a sign of fans’ desire to not only stream “Dune,” but see it on the big screen. The film has also performed well overseas, earning nearly $225 million globally. Its domestic opening results were roughly in line with what Warner Bros. expected the film to generate when it was greenlit, which is notable because that’s long before COVID-19 upended the media landscape.

Impressive.

45 minutes ago, kevwun said:

How much do you think it cost to make?  Seems like they are probably close to breaking even already.

The Googles says $165m was the budget (pre-marketing).  So it's already surpassed that, US + global.  

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

How much do you think it cost to make?  Seems like they are probably close to breaking even already.

37 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, Part II is gonna make a lot of money, so even if this was a loss leader type of thing it is a success.

They know how many people subbed right before it dropped, plus the amount of subscribers who watched it.  They maybe a somewhat newish service, but I'm sure they had the numbers they needed before discussing it with Legend and making the announcement.

And don't forget, HBO Max has a Bene Gesserit series that Villeneuve is involved with. I believe it's in pre-production.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hell, I may read a Messiah now.

Saw it yesterday in IMAX. Loved it.  Thought they trimmed it just about right, although I missed the dinner in the palace prior to the invasion. Didn’t feel the time at all. 

if you’ve read the book, go to the bathroom after they lose the spice crawler.  That’s your last chance.  It’s just exposition about Paul’s growing vision.  If you haven’t read the book, go after the first Stilgar/Javier Bardem scene. 

Hell, I may read a Messiah now.
Saw it yesterday in IMAX. Loved it.  Thought they trimmed it just about right, although I missed the dinner in the palace prior to the invasion. Didn’t feel the time at all. 

if you’ve read the book, go to the bathroom after they lose the spice crawler.  That’s your last chance.  It’s just exposition about Paul’s growing vision.  If you haven’t read the book, go after the first Stilgar/Javier Bardem scene. 

Jesus. Do you olds really go piss during a movie? Might be time for Depends if you can’t go 2-3 hours without pissing.
  • Haha 3

On 10/27/2021 at 9:20 AM, Js1 said:

The Googles says $165m was the budget (pre-marketing).  So it's already surpassed that, US + global.  

Marketing on this kind of movie is about the cost of the movie again. From a friend of mine at Sony pics they were pretty confident in losing money on this and the doubts about the sequel ever happening were definitely real.

The extra year from the delay meant more money being spent editing the movie, post-production,special effects and music. But also another year of tv commercials and the olympic and nfl ones were unwatchable and super expensive and may not have made a difference to the bottom line but I am not a marketing guy so what do i know.

The movie has lots of women talking about some of the male talent on display. Girls not normally into epic sci fi but have some weird thing about Timothee Chalamet or the other male leads.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, trza-hawk said:

The movie has lots of women talking about some of the male talent on display. Girls not normally into epic sci fi but have some weird thing about Timothee Chalamet or the other male leads.

Timothee Chalamet seems like a very nice young man. very nice. 😊 

also, the fact that he is close friends with Pete Davidson tells me he's probably pretty chill despite his european aristocratic good looks lol.

Edited by mchookem

20 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Timothee Chalamet seems like a very nice young man. very nice. 😊 

also, the fact that he is close friends with Pete Davidson tells me he's probably pretty chill despite his european aristocratic good looks lol.

So you're saying he's gonna be the next James Bond?

Edited by Parliament

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m curious who plays feyd 

with a name like that it better be an arab person or critics are gonna be mad

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/dune-appropriates-islamic-middle-eastern-tropes-real-inclusion-critics-rcna4111

'Dune' appropriates Islamic, Middle Eastern tropes without real inclusion, critics say

“It’s like ... our homes and foods and songs and languages are just right for Western stories, but we humans are never enough to be in them," one critic said.

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

I'm rereading the book before watching this, but if you have any doubts about Timothee Chalamet (or Robert Pattinson) then do yourself a favor and watch The King. It is excellent and they are both very good.

I don't want to spoil the movie, but refresh my mind - were the Fremen drinking each other's piss in the books, or just their own? Also, did they really carry around hydration charts that showed whether they were pissing excellence or am I thinking of something else.

Edit: I'm probably thinking of another book and movie.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I watched it last night.  Pretty good. 

Lots of the annoying and inaudible whispers to try and gain the mysterious and ominous effect to go along with some indecipherable dialogue.

I had no idea that it was a multi-part movie until the ending.

I look forward  to seeing the next installment.