Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul asks about it before the trip from Caladan to Arrakis when wondering why they aren’t allowed to leave their ship during the transit.  He asks if the guild members hide because they are mutated from using so much spice.  

The guild reps are there at the end with the emperor. The change is their eyes (they were wearing false lenses); at least that is what is referred to.

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

What the fuck all the way to fall 2021? Didn't Trolls make a killing on video on demand? I just want to see this shit 

If you are watching the covid vaccine stuff, the thinking is that a year from now, most Americans (and non-Americans) will have had access to it.  

Anytime before next summer, the vaccine will not be widely available enough for theaters to be wide open.

If you are into conspiracy theories, there's something about large movies having deals with the theaters, and the theaters have to get their screenings in per the financial agreements.  The theories are the major chains will be gone by next October, so WB will have free reign to put it in in limited public screenings, and then throw it up on HBO Max and charge a premium for it.

The fact that WB is also releasing the next Batman movie at that time, so I do wonder about it.

Some are also saying that WB maybe putting the next movie into production, so that Dune part 2 comes out just a year or two later, instead of 2-3 years.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, demos said:

The guild reps are there at the end with the emperor. The change is their eyes (they were wearing false lenses); at least that is what is referred to.

My understanding was that those were Guild reps, but not Navigators. One of the later Brian Herbert books has more description of the Navigators when the kid's friend becomes one, and I thought book 1 did mention the melange gas tanks that were needed to support the Navigators, but maybe I'm mixing up the books.

My understanding was that those were Guild reps, but not Navigators. One of the later Brian Herbert books has more description of the Navigators when the kid's friend becomes one, and I thought book 1 did mention the melange gas tanks that were needed to support the Navigators, but maybe I'm mixing up the books.

Yes, you’re right those were the reps, not the Navigators.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Pushed back a few weeks to 10/22:

https://deadline.com/2021/06/dune-many-saints-of-newark-sopranos-release-date-changes-warner-bros-1234781687/

I’m about 100 pages into the book and it’s so much better than the weird Lynch movie. I hope the new film gives it the treatment it deserves.

One thing that they got wrong in the old movie is the Fremen eyes. They didn’t glow. They were described as “darkest blue” with no white at all. I pictured something more like this:

ae13fa8b68a96179b621dcf123d8900c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, futureman said:

a few weeks?  I thought it was supposed to be out at christmas.

edit well after reading the article I guess I was wrong about christmas. and I thought you meant october 2022. 

User name does not check out at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 8:59 AM, Buzzrock said:

I’m about 100 pages into the book and it’s so much better than the weird Lynch movie. I hope the new film gives it the treatment it deserves.

I can't think of a better director for this project. I think it'll be great, and the strong cast is a good sign towards that. 

Villeneuve was arguably the best director of the past decade, which included two sci-fi movies; Indencies, Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2049. Blade Runner had issues, but I think it gave him experience grappling with a tough sci-fi project to make which he probably learned from. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fud said:

I can't think of a better director for this project. I think it'll be great, and the strong cast is a good sign towards that. 

Villeneuve was arguably the best director of the past decade, which included two sci-fi movies; Indencies, Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2049. [b]Blade Runner had issues, [/b]but I think it gave him experience grappling with a tough sci-fi project to make which he probably learned from. 

Issues like what?

Edited by Parliament

43 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Issues like what?

While the movie was perhaps the most gorgeous movie I’ve seen, it was too long, a little incoherent at times, and I hate to say it, but a little boring at times. This isn’t a “you only like Transformers” boring, I watch and love plenty of arthouse movies that some would find boring, this one just needed to cut some stuff out to make a tighter story. I’m hoping Villanueva learned from his pacing issues from this movie for Dune 

It was an 8/10 movie for me, so a movie I’d recommend others to watch. But it wasn’t a 10/10 movie like Blade Runner Final Cut is, for me. 

2 hours ago, futureman said:
  Hide contents

I only read the first book but thought he died?

Spoiler

He did. It’s space opera. From flashbacks to resurrections, there are tons of paths to bring back dead characters. 

The subsequent books in the series are less about military sci fi and more about weird ideas and the future of humanity. They aren't exactly movie adaptation material. Its not the only sci-fi series where a subsequent book is mostly conversations about ideas.

what episodes? I still think it was a bit of a mistake by Warner to put this on HBOMax b/c of panic. I mean committing that early. Not sure there is any proof it brought them new subscribers, and now it would be sort of difficult to go back on their word and make it theaters only.... 

Edited by naija

While the movie was perhaps the most gorgeous movie I’ve seen, it was too long, a little incoherent at times, and I hate to say it, but a little boring at times. This isn’t a “you only like Transformers” boring, I watch and love plenty of arthouse movies that some would find boring, this one just needed to cut some stuff out to make a tighter story. I’m hoping Villanueva learned from his pacing issues from this movie for Dune 
It was an 8/10 movie for me, so a movie I’d recommend others to watch. But it wasn’t a 10/10 movie like Blade Runner Final Cut is, for me. 

I thought it was fantastic and not too long or incoherent at all. It’s super-rewatchable. The original is a classic but 2049 might be the best sequel ever (if you don’t count Empire).

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

With DV directing, this movie is a slam dunk to be great, at worst.

Him, Nolan, and Fincher are arguably the best 3 directors alive today

Nolan doesn’t belong with those two and I love Nolan. Although maybe that’s unfair as it’s mostly his writing that’s problematic not his direction.

2049 is kind of a slog but I liked it a bit more on my latest rewatch. I'm still not entirely sure what he was going for when it comes to the ending - or what the takeaway should be. Obviously the original ended kind of ambigiously, too, but 2049 just doesn't hold a candle to it overall so I find it a bit easier to nitpick. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, naija said:

what episodes? I still think it was a bit of a mistake by Warner to put this on HBOMax b/c of panic. I mean committing that early. Not sure there is any proof it brought them new subscribers, and now it would be sort of difficult to go back on their word and make it theaters only.... 

In April, Warner Bros. was still absolutely killing it at the theaters, even with simultaneous releases on HBO for Kong vs. Godzilla, WW 1984, Tom and Jerry, etc.  Looks like Space Jam beat expectations last weekend. 

It will be a big test next month to see how Suicide Squad does at the box office with things truly re-opened and if the simultaneous release thing starts to wane.  I think Dune will be fine.  

What's really left for WB/HBO at this point? Suicide Squad, Dune and Matrix are really the only big name ones left for 2021 and all 3 should do well in theaters (August, October, December). 

• Like 1

2049 is kind of a slog but I liked it a bit more on my latest rewatch. I'm still not entirely sure what he was going for when it comes to the ending - or what the takeaway should be. Obviously the original ended kind of ambigiously, too, but 2049 just doesn't hold a candle to it overall so I find it a bit easier to nitpick. 

Yeah…. Does Gosling die?

17 hours ago, Fud said:

That's all fair, and I suspect 2049 will get better with age.

6 hours ago, naija said:

This new Dune movie is part one of a two-part series, which has been written (verified by numerous people associated with it publicly), and is supposedly in pre-production.

Also, there is a Dune TV series currently in production about the Bene Gesserit/Sisterhood/whatever - a prequel/world-building series set a long time before the movie(s).  If the movie(s) and this TV series do well, from what's been said, they'll be doing some other TV series prequels (spice/navigators, the empire as a whole, etc.).

This is a fucking crazy year for classic sci-fi - we are getting the new Dune movie, a TV series about Isaac Asimov's Foundation books, Wheel of Time TV series (not technically classic, but I'm gonna lump it in there), Lord of the Rings TV series and some other stuff.

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Also, there is a Dune TV series currently in production about the Bene Gesserit/Sisterhood/whatever - a prequel/world-building series set a long time before the movie(s).  If the movie(s) and this TV series do well, from what's been said, they'll be doing some other TV series prequels (spice/navigators, the empire as a whole, etc.).

link? would like to read about this. 

5 hours ago, XYZ said:

2049 is not about “what happens”. It’s about the mood, and the theme of “what makes us human”.

It's fairly artsy but I'm not buying that anything with a quarter billion dollar budget is chiefly attempting to set a "mood". 

The plot is unnecessarily hard to follow and the ending kind of unravels everything as much as it ties anything together. 

Again - the original isn't the tightest movie ever made - but it's a hell of a lot tighter and better paced than 2049. This is of course all subjective - I don't dislike 2049 it just seems to have some easily identifiable issues when it comes to some things I generally look for in identifying great movies. 

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's fairly artsy but I'm not buying that anything with a quarter billion dollar budget is chiefly attempting to set a "mood". 

The plot is unnecessarily hard to follow and the ending kind of unravels everything as much as it ties anything together. 

Again - the original isn't the tightest movie ever made - but it's a hell of a lot tighter and better paced than 2049. This is of course all subjective - I don't dislike 2049 it just seems to have some easily identifiable issues when it comes to some things I generally look for in identifying great movies. 

yeah but ana de armas.

ergo, 2049>original

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, futureman said:

link? would like to read about this. 

DV is directing the pilot.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dune-series-bene-gesserit-warnermedia-streaming-service-1203238799/

Villeneuve will direct the pilot with Jon Spaihts set to write. Spaihts and Villeneuve also co-wrote the screenplay for the film reboot along with Eric Roth. Villeneuve and Spaihts will executive produce with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce. News of the series is in keeping with Legendary’s plans to expand the “Dune” franchise to a multitude of platforms.

Spaihts left the TV series to go write part two of the Dune movie(s), and then is coming back.

Spoiler

Originally announced last year as part of HBO Max, the adaptation of the Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson novel “Sisterhood of Dune” is the 4th prequel book in the Dune saga. Recently, HBO revealed the official synopsis:

An adaptation of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson’s book based in the world created by Frank Herbert’s Dune, Dune: The Sisterhood explores this universe through the eyes of a mysterious order of women, the Bene Gesserit, whose extraordinary mastery of body and mind allow them to expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium.

In regards to the actual novel, it is based 80 years after the events of the previous prequel trilogy, which included The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade and The Battle of Corrin. At the aftermath of the battle, all thinking machines, i.e. artificial intelligence, have been outlawed. Hence, there are people of various skill sets attempting to enhance the human mind to replicate and replace all forms of advanced technology as even the simplest of automation are outlawed, i.e. calculators.

In this story, there exists the foundation of the Bene Gesserit sisterhood, who are typically described as ‘space nun’. This is due to their cult-like society who influence the going-ons of the imperium and hence the galaxy. The book explores how they managed to gain the abilities which they possess in the original Dune saga. This also includes conflicts between different Bene Gesserit members based on their political ideologies. They secretly want to get rid of the current imperial emperor, as they predict his descendants would end up as tyrants.

There are also Mentats, who are designed to function as human computers. As all thinking machines are outlawed, a subsistence is of the upmost priority. This includes the story of Gilbertus Albans, the founder of the school of Mentats and his development in the enhancement of the human mind to carry out the roles of technology, such as solving complex mathematical equations in less than a second and the ability to mentally project trajectories for various battle plans and scenarios, among other functions.

At the same time, there is a religious order which was derived from the Bulterian Jihad. These are a fanatical population who harass all other members of the imperium (galaxy) who possess even the simplest of machinery. They typically come into conflict with Venport industries, who desire an increased level of technology as part of their ever expanding space business empire.

Alongside remnants of the thinking machines…

The director of the film, Denis Villeneuve, will direct the pilot episode and act as an executive producer of the series. Also acting as executive producer is Jon Spaihts (Prometheus, Doctor Strange), who is also involved in the movie and is no longer attached as a showrunner. Others include Dana Calvo (Good Girls Revolt, Narcos) as well as Byron Merritt, Kim Herbertand Brian Herbert himself, the three of which are also executive producers of the film. Kevin J. Anderson serves as co-producer of the series and a creative consultant on the movie. The writers include Jordan Harper(Hightown), Sarah Carbiener (Rick & Morty), Erica Rosbe (Rick & Morty), and Minhal Baig (Hala). Furthermore, Reza Aslan is involved in a certain degree of capacity, in both the show and the film.

• Hook 'Em 1