Time to Oust Cornyn

pyrohornIII

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

"It's hard to decide what to like least about John Cornyn....

Is it the lies?  (Medicare clip)

Is it the utter lack of leadership? (cowering behind Mitch and Trump)

Is it not caring about Texans dying?  (Corona beer tweet)

Well, you don't have to pick one reason why we deserve better than John Cornyn.    The people of Texas deserve a senator.  So elect one. Elect MJ Hegar."

The corona beer tweet needs to be on the closest billboard to every hospital in Texas.

• Like 1

Hegar is way back in the polls, but every one I have seen has HUGE undecided numbers.  There is a chance to close the gap with those undecideds.

Id be shocked if she catches him but she could make it interesting.  Particularly if Trump keeps bleeding out in Texas.

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

It doesn't help that the Democratic party isn't even trying to do this. The national message that Trump is the only problem might help sway some crossover voters to Biden, but given Trump's massive disapprovals they really need to be tying guys like Cornyn to that anchor, then throw that fucker into the Mariana trench.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:
3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:
It doesn't help that the Democratic party isn't even trying to do this. The national message that Trump is the only problem might help sway some crossover voters to Biden, but given Trump's massive disapprovals they really need to be tying guys like Cornyn to that anchor, then throw that fucker into the Mariana trench.

Yep. But it's actually state law that Texas Democrats have to be fuckups

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Then we need to do it for them......seriously, PACs and the public need to pick up the torch while the Texas Dems are busy fiddling with their zipper and looking for some semblance of a pair of balls.

Scorched earth.  Then salted and pissed on.  Then scorched again.  It's the only way to campaign against these fuckers.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all need the Alabama Democrats social media team to give your guys a class or something.

I think now that the runoffs are  complete, you will see more of this type of attack, targeting not only cornyn but also a lot of flippable state seats as well. I would think you would have different angles to attack cornyn with whether it's MJ or Senator West.  

The TDP has brought on a lot of new fresh faces, a lot of youth, and for the first time they have people in positions to help ALL counties, not just the big voting metroplexes.   Likewise, they have people in charge of helping those of us on the county levels understand better how elections are run and what to watch out for from everything to registration to polling place procedures.   They've started a hotline for suspected voter suppression or just general issues for anyone trying to either register or vote.  

Much more training and a lot of push into the digital world.   And they seem to be pretty attentive to what works and what doesn't.

This tweeter is one of the new faces there:

One of today's TDP press releases:

To: Interested Parties

Date: July 15, 2020

Re: Path to Victory in Texas’ U.S. Senate Race

Key Points

As Texas Democrats enter the general election against Senator John Cornyn, it’s become abundantly clear that Texans are fed up with Cornyn. Meanwhile, combat veteran and ass-kicking Texas mom MJ Hegar is building the momentum it will take to flip this seat.

• With demographics changing rapidly in Democrats’ favor, Republicans hemorrhaging voters in key suburbs, and an increase in voter turnout, Texas is the biggest battleground state in the country in 2020.
  • After 18 years in Washington pushing a toxic agenda that caters to his special interest allies, Cornyn is the least popular statewide elected official in Texas — and his abysmal handling of the COVID-19 pandemic is exacerbating his problems.  
  • MJ Hegar is a decorated combat veteran and working mom — she understands the challenges facing everyday Texans and has a record of taking on tough fights and delivering results.

Texas’ Electorate is Changing in Democrats’ Favor

The Texas electorate has fundamentally changed in two ways, both of which will contribute to MJ Hegar’s victory in November.

More Democrats are Registered to Vote

There are now a record-high 16.4 million voters registered in Texas. According to the Houston Chronicle, since November 2018, Texas has added nearly 600,000 new voters, and nearly 150,000 have registered since March, despite the coronavirus pandemic.

This dramatic growth in the electorate is due in large part to young people, people of color, and new voters in Democratic counties like Harris, Travis, and Bexar.

The new Texas electorate, coupled with expected sky-high turnout in November, are all encouraging signs for MJ Hegar.

Republicans are Hemorrhaging Voters in the Texas Suburbs

Suburban Texas counties are no longer the ruby-red conservative strongholds they once were. They are the most competitive areas in the state.

In 2018, Beto O’Rourke flipped fast-growing suburban counties like Hays County, Tarrant County, and Williamson County, where MJ Hegar’s Congressional race beat the spread and helped flip two statehouse seats, for the first time in decades. O’Rourke ran up the score in Harris County, Travis County, Dallas County, Bexar County, Fort Bend County, and El Paso County, while dramatically cutting into Republican margins in Dallas suburbs and exurbs in Denton County and Collin County.

Since 2018, Donald Trump and failed Republican leadership have accelerated Texas’ suburban political shift. Texas’ suburbs are quickly becoming more diverse. Among white voters with college degrees, one of the predominant demographics in Texas, Joe Biden holds a 22 point advantage over Trump nationally, compared to Hillary Clinton’s 9 point advantage in 2016. This realignment will not only hurt Trump but will also severely weaken John Cornyn down the ballot.

Cornyn is Unknown, Underwater & Vulnerable

John Cornyn is one of the most vulnerable incumbent senators in the country. Poll after poll has found him to be largely unknown by the Texas electorate and his approval rating underwater. 

The last five polls out of Texas have all contained bad news for Cornyn:

These polls consistently show that, despite being a politician running for office since 1985, John Cornyn is largely unknown to Texas voters. 

In a June 3 Quinnipiac poll, 27% of voters were unable to answer whether they approve or disapprove of Cornyn. Compare that to a Quinnipiac poll in August of 2018, in which only 8% of voters were unable to either approve or disapprove of Ted Cruz. Cornyn’s total lack of a profile in the minds of Texas voters presents an opportunity for Texas Democrats to define Cornyn by his toxic record.

Texas Democrats are here to help introduce voters to the real John Cornyn: a self-serving politician who has been loyal to DC special interests at the expense of working Texans — a message we know will help turn out the Democratic base, persuade undecided voters, and undercut Cornyn with his supporters.

Not only do Democrats have the opportunity to define Cornyn, we will also have the resources to do so — including a large, growing network of grassroots supporters, a dedicated Cornyn War Room, and record-breaking fundraising at the Texas Democractic Party.

Cornyn’s Terrible Record on Issues that Matter Most to Voters

On Health Care:

John Cornyn is the “top salesman” for the repeal of the Affordable Care Act and has voted 20 times to repeal or defund the law. Repealing the ACA would cause Texas’ uninsured rate to jump 58%, and would kick 2.5 million Texans off their health care coverage.

Cornyn has dodged questions on indicted Texas Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton’s lawsuit to repeal the increasingly popular Affordable Care Act — during a pandemic — by saying things like: “I support having the courts make the decision.” Cornyn’s vote in favor of the 2017 Republican tax bill enabled the lawsuit in the first place.

The ACA’s provisions, including protections for the nearly 5 million Texans with pre-existing conditions, are overwhelmingly popular with swing voters. In 2020, over 1.1 million Texans got their health care through the ACA, and Texas’ uninsured rate dropped 6% after the ACA went into effect. Cornyn’s staunch opposition towards the health care law is an extreme liability in Texas, especially during a public health crisis.

On Coronavirus:

Cornyn’s weak response to the coronavirus pandemic has jeopardized the health and economic security of Texans. He has failed to show leadership during the crisis, contradicting medical experts and downplaying the severity of COVID-19 since the outbreak began. With the pandemic showing no signs of disappearing by November, Cornyn’s botched response to the crisis will be top of mind for Texas voters.

On Immigration:

Cornyn enabled the Trump administration’s pilfering of money from the military to fund a border wall, the construction of which will take land from Texas farmers and provide no national security benefit. 

Cornyn has also supported the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy that led to family separation and kids being locked in cages, helped to kill bipartisan immigration reform, and has voted against DREAMers and DACA multiple times. On all these issues, Cornyn is out-of-step with Texas voters.

On Racial Justice:

In the midst of the George Floyd protests, John Cornyn denied the existence of systemic racism in the American criminal justice system, earning national criticism for his ignorant comments.

MJ Hegar Fights for Texans; John Cornyn Serves the D.C. Establishment

MJ Hegar embodies Texas values. Her experience taking on tough fights and delivering results serves as a powerful contrast to Senator Cornyn’s close ties to Washington special interests: 

• MJ is a decorated combat veteran who served her country on three tours of duty in Afghanistan; John Cornyn is a career politician who has served himself and his political donors. 

• MJ is a champion for women’s rights in the military and tirelessly advocates for her fellow servicewomen; John Cornyn has spent 18 years in the Senate advancing his own political career by legislating on behalf of DC special interests, corporate PACs, and his powerful political allies.

• MJ spent five years working in health care and is in favor of expanding access to health care for millions of Texans via a public option; John Cornyn is known as ACA repeal’s “top salesman” and has voted repeatedly to gut protections from nearly 5 million Texans with pre-existing conditions and increase health care costs.

• MJ Hegar put on the uniform to serve her country and took an oath to the Constitution; John Cornyn has continually put partisan politics ahead of national security, refusing to condemn the Trump Administration for knowing and doing nothing about Vladimir Putin placing bounties on the heads of US troops, his long-standing refusal to support basic election security legislation, and complacency in breaking our promises to our allies

Bottom Line

Texas Democrats are poised to flip this seat and send Senator Cornyn into retirement. With MJ Hegar as our Democratic nominee, Texas Democrats have what it takes to win in November:

• A Democratic candidate who has a record of taking on tough fights and delivering results;
  • An extremely vulnerable and relatively unknown incumbent; 
  • A dedicated, well-resourced effort from grassroots Texas Democrats that will reach voters across the state, register and turn out hundreds of thousands of new voters, and protect Texans’ access to the polls from Republican voter suppression. 

Let’s get to work, Texas. 

Edited by pyrohornIII
edited to reduce long cat
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Do you have a reason for believing that, or is it just lawyers thinking lawyers are smart?

By most accounts, he was a pretty decent district judge and showed a good bit of sentience as a Supreme Court justice when he wasn't toeing a party line.

He even showed some smarts a long time ago as a Senator, before the GOP became the party of Brawndo.

He didn't always act like a fucking mental defective. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

I don't see her pulling any punches.   She doesn't have too, she just needs to expose they guy for the fraud he is.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2020/07/15/texas-senate-race-is-on-john-cornyn-slams-mj-hegar-as-liberal-she-calls-him-spineless-bootlicker/

She's going to really cut into his suburban female base.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Meh ... a bit mild, but probably a fair place to start.  Is it just my OCD, or does it bother anyone else that half of the time she's riding, she's on the wrong side of the road?  What's up with that? /Seinfeld off

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

“ ‘Hollywood Hegar’ doesn’t know you drive on the right side of the road. How can she lead Texas?”

-Cornyn, probably

MJ: know how I know you spend too much time in DC, John? Spend some time driving in Texas and you'll see so much more!

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all need the Alabama Democrats social media team to give your guys a class or something.

TDP is terrible. They’ve institutionalized losing over the last 26 years and it’s all they know how to do at the statewide level. I always compare it to one of those failed brands that has a few thriving independent franchise locations but extracts value from them without adding anything. 
Part of the reason I voted for MJ instead of Royce West, who is an excellent state senator, is that he’s been associated with that crowd for so long I feared that they would blow this chance. 
MJ is going to run a similar strategy to what Beto did. All I heard from TDP types was griping  about being sidelined during his campaign, and that’s exactly what I want to hear. 
You may not want to hear this, but Beto’s problem was Beto. He couldn’t stop apologizing and didn’t go for Ted Cruz’s throat. MJ has a steeper hill to climb because the presidential election is going to command all the attention, but nobody should count her out. Take Beto’s campaign method of contesting every county, and give it to an aggressive  woman with a massive chip on her shoulder.
She’s very likeable, but in a badass way- not nice like Beto. When she talks to women she’s going to make Cornyn sound like the ineffectual first line manager who didn’t stick up for them when they were disrespected and harassed at work by his boss. She’s going to challenge  Cornyn’s manhood in explicitly gendered terms and basically call John Cornyn a pussy.  That’s the preview.  She may lose, but it’s going to cost Cornyn dearly no matter what. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Cornyn was probably never as smart as you would expect when you see his resume (well, if you’re still under the impression that the Texas Supreme Court is a body of intellectual heavyweights rather than political animals, anyway).   But he once was much smarter than the drooling troglodyte MAGA fever has made him become.  

Contorting and corrupting themselves to appease Trump and Trumpkin cult voters has made these GOP politicians turn into Gollum after about 100 years with the ring. I’m sure they think they’re walking the tightrope, but their brains are basically broken at this point.  They are too out of practice with honesty and forming arguments based on reality or rational thinking.   You can’t devote your brain to generating Trump/Hannity level word salad for years and not feel some effects from that.  Plus, they’re scared and desperate, and nakedly ambitious cowards to begin with, which amplifies everything.

I bet they’re even shitty grifters now, too.  They probably blow all their ill-gotten gains investing in Chesapeake or going in with Trump on some ridiculous prospect or some shit like that.  We’re way past the point of 4-D chess masters still possibly being a thing with these people.

Yep.  It not only makes them act stupid, it appears to actually diminish their intelligence.

And, his resume isn't really that great.  I'm not saying he was some kind of genius or great legal mind, but he wasn't the troglodyte you see today.  Cruz has a much better resume.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

TDP is terrible. They’ve institutionalized losing over the last 26 years and it’s all they know how to do at the statewide level. I always compare it to one of those failed brands that has a few thriving independent franchise locations but extracts value from them without adding anything. 
Part of the reason I voted for MJ instead of Royce West, who is an excellent state senator, is that he’s been associated with that crowd for so long I feared that they would blow this chance. 
MJ is going to run a similar strategy to what Beto did. All I heard from TDP types was griping  about being sidelined during his campaign, and that’s exactly what I want to hear. 
You may not want to hear this, but Beto’s problem was Beto. He couldn’t stop apologizing and didn’t go for Ted Cruz’s throat. MJ has a steeper hill to climb because the presidential election is going to command all the attention, but nobody should count her out. Take Beto’s campaign method of contesting every county, and give it to an aggressive  woman with a massive chip on her shoulder.
She’s very likeable, but in a badass way- not nice like Beto. When she talks to women she’s going to make Cornyn sound like the ineffectual first line manager who didn’t stick up for them when they were disrespected and harassed at work by his boss. She’s going to challenge  Cornyn’s manhood in explicitly gendered terms and basically call John Cornyn a pussy.  That’s the preview.  She may lose, but it’s going to cost Cornyn dearly no matter what. 

I agree with all of this, but I do think there is some change happening in the TDP because of Beto's success, as well as how many people supported Bernie in the past 2 campaigns.  I know I am one of the people who got more active because of those two candidates, and there are enough of us now to push for the changes long needed.  

Everything you said about MJ and Beto is dead on IMO.  I like how it shook out by letting MJ into the fray while still keeping West in his all important position.  

And that Cornyn twitter tweet was weak.  No doubt.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

When’s the last time Republicans Had success in Dallas County? Royce West and others had them go the way of the dinosaur.

I don't believe that particular district has ever been held by a Republican, either in its current form or previously. Dallas County has always been pretty Democratic at the local level. @Ghost of LL - I haven't followed closely since i moved to Austin in 1992. Has there ever even been a GOP majority on the commissioners court?

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't believe that particular district has ever been held by a Republican, either in its current form or previously. Dallas County has always been pretty Democratic at the local level. @Ghost of LL - I haven't followed closely since i moved to Austin in 1992. Has there ever even been a GOP majority on the commissioners court?

Dallas stayed "yellow dog Democrat" or Dixiecrat (with Democrats that make better Republicans other than maybe some lip-service to the working man) longer than a lot of places.  So it was at least nominally D even toward the peak of its conservatism.

Can’t speak to the history of the Commissioner’s Court but I know a guy my same age that ran to be the token “No” conservative vote in 2016. Got beat pretty bad, but he knew it would probably happen and in his own words let me know it was a 150k job to be a no vote. Now he just fights with Jonathan Stickland in the comments of his Facebook statuses. Fun to drink and tailgate with though. I can’t imagine the court ever going R.

Pretty extensive read on West and Dallas County from 2007 if interested below and fun to read with the 2020 glasses on now. Gets into the South Dallas history, downballot victories in 06 from straight ticket D, history w/JWP and hits on his relationships with the school districts and his law practice.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/go-west-6376970

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Can’t speak to the history of the Commissioner’s Court but I know a guy my same age that ran to be the token “No” conservative vote in 2016. Got beat pretty bad, but he knew it would probably happen and in his own words let me know it was a 150k job to be a no vote. Now he just fights with Jonathan Stickland in the comments of his Facebook statuses. Fun to drink and tailgate with though. I can’t imagine the court ever going R.

Pretty extensive read on West and Dallas County from 2007 if interested below and fun to read with the 2020 glasses on now. Gets into the South Dallas history, downballot victories in 06 from straight ticket D, history w/JWP and hits on his relationships with the school districts and his law practice.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/go-west-6376970

One thing has remained steady for me through all the personal political upheaval of the last 5-6 years or so and that is that I distrust 20+ year politicians, especially when they have held the same office for most or the majority of that time.

West is effective for his constituents and perhaps a broader swath of Texans, no question about that.  But he is oleaginous.

Also, a small- or own-firm lawyer in politics seems like an ethical timebomb.  The deals where pols get a six-figure sinecure at a biglaw firm are much more straightforward.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 9:28 AM, Gap03 said:

Hopefully the Lincoln Project (or someone with similar offensive tactics) will pitch in on some ads against Cornyn.  His antics throughout this pandemic are begging to be put on blast, and as much as I generally abhor the back and forth negative BS, I think that going negative may be the best way to make up some ground here.

My hunch is that Cornyn isn't on their list of targets.  Graham doesn't appear to be either unless I missed something.  They are going after McConnell.  Make no mistake, the LP does not want to flip the Senate.

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

My hunch is that Cornyn isn't on their list of targets.  Graham doesn't appear to be either unless I missed something.  They are going after McConnell.  Make no mistake, the LP does not want to flip the Senate.

Maybe maybe not, but they named him. Personally I don’t think they are a Republican group. I think they are an anti-Republican group in the employ of Democrats. So, they do want to flip the senate.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

If you’re scared just say you’re scared.

e145fa4569469c7484eceabff8a86bfe.jpg

Little cornyn is looking around and seeing the Democrats rapidly expanding the senate map. 

he doesn’t want to be next. The next target to come “on-line” for the dems is either Texas or Kansas depending on which nominee the wizard of Oz state chooses.

Hollywood Hegar? Well John, I'd like to give you an Academy Award for Best Representation of a Flat-bottomed, No Account Coward who deliberately delayed and obstructed the nomination of a Supreme Court Justice but will have no problem in expediting the nomination of another one should the need arise. In honor of your award, I'm donating to MJ Hagar!

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 1:44 AM, Bama Chick said:

If you’re scared just say you’re scared.

e145fa4569469c7484eceabff8a86bfe.jpg

So I’m going to ask this because I’ve been seeing this type of fundraising for years now and it doesn’t make sense to me. “X has raised Y so I need you to help me get to Y as well. “

Why the fuck should I care John?  What are you doing to earn getting to Y? Who does that kind of advertising actually work on, because that turns me off just as surely as a high pressure car salesman would. 

6 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So I’m going to ask this because I’ve been seeing this type of fundraising for years now and it doesn’t make sense to me. “X has raised Y so I need you to help me get to Y as well. “

Why the fuck should I care John?  What are you doing to earn getting to Y? Who does that kind of advertising actually work on, because that turns me off just as surely as a high pressure car salesman would. 

My trashcans, digital and physical, are full of solicitations using tactics like that. Maybe it plays to the team/competitive aspect? If there are folks who strongly identify with 'X' then perhaps they reason  'I don't want to 'lose' so I give to my 'team?'

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Cornyn becoming every Texags poster

Once again, Republicans have lost standing to comment on decorum.  Fuck off John.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Where did the "Hollywood Hegar" thing come from?

Her early campaign ads had good production value.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1