Dog advice – should we get one?

I pretty much know the answer to this – no, we should not – but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on dog ownership and I'd love for someone to play devil's advocate.

Our family of four ( with a 2-year old and 4-year old) lives in a 2,200 sq foot house in the middle of the city. We have a fenced-in backyard and there are tons of trails and parks nearby, though the closest off-leash park is a couple of miles away. We love to go on long walks as a family and I jog as well.

We would only adopt a rescue that's at least 2 years old and good with children (at least according to their foster family's description, which I realize might not be terribly accurate). In non-pandemic times, we both work outside the home, though I work from home at least once a week.

Are there any dogs that are actually okay by themselves, or is every dog going to be generally miserable living in solidarity for 40 or so hours/week? Does having small children make it a non-starter?

I'll hang up and listen.

If you're going to make the dog part of your pack yeah go for it. If you're just bored, and thinking a dog wood be cool no.  

Dogs are social/pack animals so they don't like being by themselves naturally, but as long as you can let them out at least once every 6 hours max they're fine by themselves.   Sounds like you've got all the ingredients: kids, fenced yard, places to go. Think about shedding if you're bothered by dog hair floating  about.... (look at dogs with actual hair instead of fur).

Love the rescue dog angle !! 

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Just be aware, for some reason the dad of the family ends up being ultimately responsible for the dog.  Doesn't matter who paied for it, who claims to love it the most, who named him.  It's gonna be your dog, I don't know if the dog can sense a male/female/child difference but I fucking hate our dog, but he loves me because I'm the one that remembers to feed him and walk him and play with him. 

Tldr: don't do it unless you are fully prepared to do everything yourself. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

Just be aware, for some reason the dad of the family ends up being ultimately responsible for the dog.  Doesn't matter who paied for it, who claims to love it the most, who named him.  It's gonna be your dog, I don't know if the dog can sense a male/female/child difference but I fucking hate our dog, but he loves me because I'm the one that remembers to feed him and walk him and play with him. 

Foreign agent or BOT...  either way unforgivable

• Like 1

My ex bought my daughter a dog, and then of course moved to a place where they couldn't have pets.  It's not even a real dog, it's a chihuahua.   You are entirely correct that the dad will be the one doing every thing.  I like dogs, but fuck a chihuahua.  I have to admit though I have started to grow attached to the little fucker.  It is kind of a chick magnet too.

questions.

do you like having another child, except this one acts like a baby toddler for the rest of its life? dogs are great. but they are like little kids. you can leave them alone for little while, but for the most part, their gonna need your attention almost full time. 

walk the dog at least once, preferably twice a day, EVERY DAY. feed it. make plans for it if you ever plan to leave for any extended period of time, read fly somewhere for vacation.

with kids, they eventually get old and are self sustaining units. dogs, not so much.

• Like 1

Definitely get one... your criteria are spot on for where you are at.  Just know dogs are pricey.  Food, medical, toys.. adds up.

With young kids would try and 'foster" the rescue first, most places now have this option, usually 14-30 days of return it if it doesn't work out. They know you won't because you will likely fall in love quickly.. but if for some reason its not working out for the dog or you, it'll be easier to find a better home for the dog and another dog for your home.

• Like 1

Dogs are awesome if you like dogs and you're willing to care for them properly. 

Dogs are terrible if you're not. 

If the dog is well trained and won't destroy your house then let it roam the house while you're at work. That's what we've always done and it seems to work fine. 

• Like 3

I pretty much know the answer to this – no, we should not – but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on dog ownership and I'd love for someone to play devil's advocate.
Our family of four ( with a 2-year old and 4-year old) lives in a 2,200 sq foot house in the middle of the city. We have a fenced-in backyard and there are tons of trails and parks nearby, though the closest off-leash park is a couple of miles away. We love to go on long walks as a family and I jog as well.
We would only adopt a rescue that's at least 2 years old and good with children (at least according to their foster family's description, which I realize might not be terribly accurate). In non-pandemic times, we both work outside the home, though I work from home at least once a week.
Are there any dogs that are actually okay by themselves, or is every dog going to be generally miserable living in solidarity for 40 or so hours/week? Does having small children make it a non-starter?
I'll hang up and listen.

Honestly I don't know why the answer would be no. Don't get one just because you're bored, but if you and your family want a dog, get one. I'm sure the kids would love it and while individual dogs are obviously different, they're generally fine to extraordinary with kids. If they were eating kids or whatever they wouldn't be the idolized family pet. They're great companions.

Plenty of people leave their dogs at home during the day. It's not like they became popular pets just now as people start working from home. Dogs sleep a lot. Take it out for a good walk in the morning and it'll should be fine at home alone if housebroken. Will sleep over half the day.

Maybe do a doggy door if you and wife both work wack long hours. If it likes toys, get it a couple. Another good walk or some play with the kids in the afternoon/ evening and you're good. I have a border collie, one if the more energetic breeds, and he's fine at home while I'm at work. Feed it, walk it, give it the chance to use the bathroom a few times a day. They're not that high maintenance.
  • Like 3

It sounds like you should get a medium sized dog at about 40 lbs. It's an ideal size so as not to overwhelm your kids and makes it easier for your wife to handle too. A mixed border collie would be good with your activity level. Golden Retriever mixes are awesome. Just look into the traits of certain breeds to land on the size and temperament that best fits into your family's lifestyle. That way, when you go to search, you can already have an ideal candidate in mind. A spaniel mix might also be ideal. I would steer away from terrier mixes if you aren't an experienced dog owner. They truly can have a mind of their own.  

Go with kenneling in the home when you are out and then expand their area in the house that they can access. It will be up to you if you want them to roam the whole house while you are away. But no matter what, that should happen gradually. They will spend all day sleeping anyway. 

• Like 1

We adopted an older Lab from a rescue three years ago.  She's the best dog I've ever had.  

The best thing is she was out of the puppy and young dog stage, so she didn't demand the attention and exercise a pup or younger dog requires.  

Very good with children and other animals.    The only con is she sheds like crazy.  

We do have two Mini schnauzers too, but  she tend  prefers to be by herself and loves to sleep.    The other two can be royal pains in the butt at times, but I wouldn't trade them either. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

There are some studies on dogs perception of time. Like they can tell 30 minutes to 2 hours, but after 2 hours it's just kind of all the same to them. It's hard to see it that way because they get so fucking excited to see their people when they come home. You naturally think, "shit, poor doggie", Of course they're happy to see you, but they weren't thinking "that dick has been gone a long damn time". They'll sleep and look out the window and be in their little world. 

@dingleberryswitzeryou are a fuckface. I laughed though. 

• Like 1

My wife is working from home and she texted me this morning to tell me one of our dogs puked all over the living room rug. As an added plus, it appears he ate a pile of shit for breakfast. I'll get to enjoy the harrowing tale of my wife's heroic cleaning efforts tonight when I get home. I can't fucking wait.

So if you like to tell stories like that, get a dog. 

• Haha 1

Dogs are awesome in the fact that they kinda are cool doing what you want as long as it's their routine. My dog wants to sleep and mark his kingdom a couple times a day because that's what he always does. My SIL has their's in daycare 3 times a week and he loves that because that's what he does. If you love them and care about them then they're pretty much good with whatever.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:31 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

I don't know if the dog can sense a male/female/child difference f. 

Some definitely can. My dog definitely has an issue with men. Not sure if that's from something before I got him or what. He's come around to me because I feed and play and stuff. He fucking adores my girlfriend. Like he would murder me for her in a second. He likes pretty much any woman he meets more than me.

He's cute as fuck too so he's an effective chick magnet. I should sell hours with him to surly singles.

21 minutes ago, Deej said:

You should have at least two. As much as they love you, they love having a dog buddy more. 

This.  If you don't get two now, plan on getting the second in year or so.  Opposite sex.  Kinda like you should have kids.  Anyway, my vote is Lab.  

Ok, thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement. When I was looking into breeds I found some site where they basically said you're Cruella DeVille if you leave your dog at home while you're at work and it kinda freaked me out. Obviously many, if not most dogs spend their days at home while their human is at work, but I guess I just needed people to tell me that that's okay.

I will say – it's been pretty tough finding a good match and also finding a shelter that will adopt to families w/ any kids under six years old.

Thanks again y'all.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:31 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

This is the goddamn truth right here.  When our lab died 11 years ago, I didn't want another dog.  There were just some things I didn't miss about having a dog like the hair and not being able to leave the house for more than several hours at a time or having to leave somewhere "because of the dog".  My wife and son finally talked me into "maybe" getting one and I said ok.  Well, of course we got the first goddamn dog we looked at.  I had just a few things that I really didn't wan to happen with the dog:  not on furniture on not in our bed.  Well, that goddamn dog is on our bed all the time, although she doesn't sleep up there.  I also end up taking the goddman dog out, taking her to the vet, and I play with her more than anyone...and I didn't want a goddamn dog in the first place.  So I guess what I am saying is make damn sure that you want a dog , because that is what is about to happen. 

5 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Ok, thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement. When I was looking into breeds I found some site where they basically said you're Cruella DeVille if you leave your dog at home while you're at work and it kinda freaked me out. Obviously many, if not most dogs spend their days at home while their human is at work, but I guess I just needed people to tell me that that's okay.

I will say – it's been pretty tough finding a good match and also finding a shelter that will adopt to families w/ any kids under six years old.

Thanks again y'all.

Humane Society

Plus, mixed breeds are kick-ass.....all 4 of y'all go, and you'll all fall in love with some particular, goofy ass dog.....that some POS dumped on their porch, threw out of a car, etc...

all 5 of you will be happy!! 

This is the goddamn truth right here.  When our lab died 11 years ago, I didn't want another dog.  There were just some things I didn't miss about having a dog like the hair and not being able to leave the house for more than several hours at a time or having to leave somewhere "because of the dog".  My wife and son finally talked me into "maybe" getting one and I said ok.  Well, of course we got the first goddamn dog we looked at.  I had just a few things that I really didn't wan to happen with the dog:  not on furniture on not in our bed.  Well, that goddamn dog is on our bed all the time, although she doesn't sleep up there.  I also end up taking the goddman dog out, taking her to the vet, and I play with her more than anyone...and I didn't want a goddamn dog in the first place.  So I guess what I am saying is make damn sure that you want a dog , because that is what is about to happen. 

This made me laugh. I wouldn’t let my first lab on the couch, especially because I’m slightly allergic to dog hair. Well, years after that amazing dog passed away my wife and kids let me know that the second I walked out the front door to go to work, she’d jump up and sleep on the couch all day, then jump off right before I’d get home. So typical. My current lab has been glued to my hip on the couch her whole life. It’s destiny. Dogs are meant to be next to you on the couch.
  • Like 1

Get one, for sure.  But, two isn't any more difficult than one and will help with boredom if the dog will be alone for several hours at a time during the week.

I waited for 13 years to get another dog after I lost my golden to cancer.  Since then, we have adopted (been gifted) two more.  3 is a handful, but no regrets. 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:28 PM, Deej said:

You should have at least two. As much as they love you, they love having a dog buddy more. 

Moving into that range now. Ours turns 11 this May and I've always thought 2 dogs kept each other younger.  He goes to work with me most every day so 2 dogs may not work.

We picked up a 7 month old female border collie mix off craigslist a few weeks back.  My wife is a school nurse so she's got lots of time on her hands now and we figured with the kids going stir crazy this would help.  She is super sweet but she has a deep big bark which was surprising because she is not very big, and she barks a lot.  I think she has some german shepherd in her.  Do the no bark shock collars work or are those considered cruel?

Username checks out.

My wife and I got a black lab a year before we got married. She was AMAZING. Brought twins home when she was about 5 years old and she would come and get me if they were crying, sleep in their room when they were taking naps, etc. When they got older she loved playing on the floor with them, playing fetch, going on walks, etc. She was part of the family. 

She was 13 years old when we had to put her down, it DESTROYED my wife as she had been around for so many important dates in our life, the kids took it hard as well and for the last couple of years the three of them have put on the full court press to get another one. 

I go back and forth on getting another one now. Not that I wouldn't love to have one just thinking into the future after the boys are out of the house and the wife and I want to travel more. Is that selfish? Sure but it is what it is. 

To the OP- You have a 4 year old and a 2 year old? Without a doubt that is pretty much the perfect time to bring a dog into the family. 

My two cents. I'd go for a puppy. They're awesome. Get two and they can keep each other company. You can watch them fight and play. If you're yard is Bermuda, or the grass is not well established, they will muddy it up. They will scratch floors.

Most breeds have oily hair that accumulates odor. Your house - carpet, rugs, beds, can pick up the odor. I think most people just grow  used to it or cover it with scented candles or whatever. If you have allergies, all that stuff can create problems. A few northern breeds don't have any oil in their hair - huskies are a good example. They don't smell, but they shed like crazy. (They will smell if you don't give them baths. They just don' need them as often.) This climate is tough on them in the summer. Best solution is to shave them twice each summer. They'll look a little weird, but they'll be happy. They're also mischievous and escape artists. They remain young in spirit. They're also one of the gentlest breeds. They likely won't attack a burglar. But they won't attack your kids either. When you get a two year old dog, you're not quite sure what you're getting. Is it going to pee on everything? Is it going to jump on the hood of your car and scratch the fuck out of it?

If you buy a full-bred animal, you are buying traits you can kind of count on. Full breds tend to have more problems in older age, I think because of inbreeding. Might be wrong about that. German Shepherds are really cool dogs. Gorgeous animals. Playful and protective. Labs are really popular. Stay the hell away from pit bulls. Dogs can knock a two or four-year old over, so watch out.

Never teach a dog to jump.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

We adopted this guy (our first family pet) a couple weeks ago. 8 month old yellow mix somethingorother and he’s been pretty awesome. Which is not to say effortless. When he goes into puppy zoom mode, look out. And he’s already eaten a curtain tassel and puked it up on the living room floor. But he’s sweet and the kids (10 and 13) love him as does the wife.

We did write up a contract for the kids before we got him. They do all the walking, feeding, and any necessary poop gathering. He listens to me pretty well, the wife and kids not so much. They need to be more assertive with him.

He was already crate trained and housebroken which was huge. He also doesn’t appear to shed a lot. Good luck!

2b92998db0d7ae2fc56be33568a13f56.jpg

• Like 8

On 4/21/2020 at 7:16 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Gonna disagree on their opinion of a Husky, while they are high energy and escape artists, they are fantastic with children. They have more than a few negatives, particularly if you are a new dog owner or want home protection,, but they love children.

We have a couple of female Great Pyrenees and they are awesome and assholes at the same time.  They are stubborn, at least to a certain extent.  They do what they are told, but they don't do it right when you say.  They tend to wait to do it until it seems like it was their own idea.  We have also fostered 7 puppies so far and intend to keep doing that.  One of the girls won't play with the puppies, but she does keep them in line.  She doesn't hurt them, but she definitely lets them know when they are doing something that they should be doing.  The other girl loves to play with the puppies, and she is the one that has had a litter of her own.  Kind of a weird dynamic, but it works.  Anyway, although GPs can be stubborn, they are fantastic with the kids.  They are patient and gentle and they keep an eye on their 'flock'.  That being said, unless you have a fence that is at least 6 feet, I wouldn't recommend one in your situation.  If your fence is 6 feet, a GP would be awesome for you.

One more thing - get a doggy door.

I go back and forth on getting another one now. Not that I wouldn't love to have one just thinking into the future after the boys are out of the house and the wife and I want to travel more. Is that selfish? Sure but it is what it is.

We have 2 dogs and we travel frequently. You can either find friends/family with dogs to trade dog sitting duties, get a service like Rover, or drop them off at boarding facility. Dogs are too great to let travel be your reason for not having one.

Don't do it.

Incessant barking. Dog shit in the yard. Chews up everything fucking thing left outside for more than a minute. I can't walk out onto the porch and down the steps without tripping over a fucking dog. I can't walk across the fucking yard without tripping in a hole.  I can't grill outside with out having a damn dog all up in my shit. I can't sit on the porch and drink a beer or have a smoke without dogs all up in my shit. Once a month or so one will either get sprayed by a skunk or roll in dead shit.

I will fucking divorce my wife if she ever brings home another fucking dog. I hate our dogs. Fuck dogs hate dogs hate fuck shit hate

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 4/23/2020 at 6:29 PM, Deej said:

Gonna disagree on their opinion of a Husky, while they are high energy and escape artists, they are fantastic with children. They have more than a few negatives, particularly if you are a new dog owner or want home protection,, but they love children.

Unless I lived in a cold climate I wouldn't get a husky.  And get a breed with hair in stead of fur. Nothing worse than finding black lab fur in the butter dish.....(not that blacklab).