Dog advice – should we get one?

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Don't do it.

Incessant barking. Dog shit in the yard. Chews up everything fucking thing left outside for more than a minute. I can't walk out onto the porch and down the steps without tripping over a fucking dog. I can't walk across the fucking yard without tripping in a hole.  I can't grill outside with out having a damn dog all up in my shit. I can't sit on the porch and drink a beer or have a smoke without dogs all up in my shit. Once a month or so one will either get sprayed by a skunk or roll in dead shit.

I will fucking divorce my wife if she ever brings home another fucking dog. I hate our dogs. Fuck dogs hate dogs hate fuck shit hate

This is how you identify people to avoid in life. People that don't like dogs.  

There's just something very very wrong with people who don't like dogs.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Unless I lived in a cold climate I wouldn't get a husky.  And get a breed with hair in stead of fur. Nothing worse than finding black lab fur in the butter dish.....(not that blacklab).

My husky/heeler mix does have a ton of fur. As long as I brush her regularly, it's not too bad, aside from the twice a year she blows her coat. Then it's insanity.

The insulation that keeps them warm works in the other direction when it's hot out. She doesn't seem to be any more bothered by the heat than my two short-coated dogs.

They are a fun dog, though. So good natured.

20200414_171405.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

My husky/heeler mix does have a ton of fur. As long as I brush her regularly, it's not too bad, aside from the twice a year she blows her coat. Then it's insanity.

The insulation that keeps them warm works in the other direction when it's hot out. She doesn't seem to be any more bothered by the heat than my two short-coated dogs.

They are a fun dog, though. So good natured.

20200414_171405.jpg

Yeah they're definitely fun dogs, lots of energy.  Yours looks like it's got more Heeler coat than Husky.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Don't do it.
Incessant barking. Dog shit in the yard. Chews up everything fucking thing left outside for more than a minute. I can't walk out onto the porch and down the steps without tripping over a fucking dog. I can't walk across the fucking yard without tripping in a hole.  I can't grill outside with out having a damn dog all up in my shit. I can't sit on the porch and drink a beer or have a smoke without dogs all up in my shit. Once a month or so one will either get sprayed by a skunk or roll in dead shit.
I will fucking divorce my wife if she ever brings home another fucking dog. I hate our dogs. Fuck dogs hate dogs hate fuck shit hate

You sound fun
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

One other thing about huskies - they don't bark. Some will talk your ear off. My male had one good say in the morning and he was done. The female talked all the time. They grew up with a long stretch of dry stack in the back yard - 8ft high 75ft long. They could run almost full speed down the middle of that dry stack. You could jog with the male and decide to break into a dead run. The second he recognized what was going on, he'd shoot like a rocket past me until the leash ran out - took about 1 second. Beautiful to watch, all legs off the ground. Both front legs straight out in front. Amazing dogs.

And when you ask friends over, they'd immediately glom onto the newest member of the group.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:15 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Don't do it.

• Like 1

I didn't read the whole thread so not sure if this answer has been given.  But, if you have to ask, don't do it.  They are a big responsibility and shouldn't be taken on if you are questioning the decision.  If you do decide to go forward, I recommend a Golden.  By far the best dog I have ever had and I won't ever not have one around.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

One other thing about huskies - they don't bark. Some will talk your ear off. My male had one good say in the morning and he was done. The female talked all the time. They grew up with a long stretch of dry stack in the back yard - 8ft high 75ft long. They could run almost full speed down the middle of that dry stack. You could jog with the male and decide to break into a dead run. The second he recognized what was going on, he'd shoot like a rocket past me until the leash ran out - took about 1 second. Beautiful to watch, all legs off the ground. Both front legs straight out in front. Amazing dogs.

And when you ask friends over, they'd immediately glom onto the newest member of the group.

When mine barks, I know some shit is about to go down, because it rarely happens. But they do talk. I catch my girl just talking to herself sometimes. 

Their athleticism is unbelievable. 

And they really aren't for novice dog owners.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 8:32 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

This is how you identify people to avoid in life. People that don't like dogs.  

There's just something very very wrong with people who don't like dogs.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:53 AM, gmr548 said:

You sound fun

Don't even get me started on mother fucking cats

• Like 3

Some said earlier that the Dad is responsible for the dog, truth.

I got my lab when he was 8 months old. Great dog. Didn't chew too bad. Great with kids, super goofy.
If you get a dog, I can say this, spend as much time as possible with them. Take them with you as much as you can. Talk to them like people.

My lab follows me around when we are out, doesn't run off, except for squirrels, can't get him broke of that, but he's a good dog. I see people who don't spend time with theirs much when we are out and they are usually shit heads.

The only bad thing is he sheds. Like all the fucking time and in the spring and fall it gets even worse. Holy shit, like sweep and vacuum all the time.

spacer.png

Edited by TXLNGHRN10

2 hours ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

My lab follows me around when we are out, doesn't run off, except for squirrels, can't get him broke of that, but he's a good dog. I see people who don't spend time with theirs much when we are out and they are usually shit heads.

While I'm touting huskies, I should mention that you can't take them off the leash. They are very spontaneous and like nothing more than a good run - away from you and that leash. (of course, you can let them run around your back yard and they'll stick right by your side.) I talked to a fellow owner who said that he could take his huskies out into the wilderness. He'd let them go and they'd disappear for a couple of hours and then come back. You can't do that at Town Lake or walking around your neighborhood. Maybe with some good treat training, there's hope. Letting any dog off a leash isn't a good idea anyhow.

I had a Husky way back right after I graduated from UT.  She was a great dog.  She loved it when when went up to the ranch for the weekend.  As soon as we got there I would let her go and she would take off for the first day or so.  She would come back to the house covered in cow shit and after I bathed her she would stay right around the house for the rest of the time.  She never seemed to be bothered by the heat in Houston and we never had a problem with her when we had kids.The hair was a mess though.  Shed shed all of the time and then blew out her undercoat a couple of times a year.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I had a Husky way back right after I graduated from UT.  She was a great dog.  She loved it when when went up to the ranch for the weekend.  As soon as we got there I would let her go and she would take off for the first day or so.  She would come back to the house covered in cow shit and after I bathed her she would stay right around the house for the rest of the time.  She never seemed to be bothered by the heat in Houston and we never had a problem with her when we had kids.The hair was a mess though.  Shed shed all of the time and then blew out her undercoat a couple of times a year.

Little known fact: it's not really the undercoat blowing out so much as the long top coat being replaced and pulling the undercoat out as it goes.

Cliff1.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

A doggy door for a GP or other dog of that size might as well be a person door.

We got the extra large one.  One of our GPs is about 85 or 90 pounds and the other is 60 or so.  The 60 pounder is still gaining weight.  She was underweight, malnourished, and pregnant when we first took her in and now she's starting to put some back on.  The bigger girl does have to stoop down to get in and out, but she manages.

Love my dogs. Pain in the ass sometimes (or a lot), but can't imagine not having them here when I get home. They make the worst days better because they dont give a shit about your crappy day or shithead boss, they are just glad to see you and have you home. You get out what you put into them.

Pound /rescue dogs are the best. We currently have 3 and each has a unique story.

The newest is a lab/pit/hound mix that some asshole had shot after dumping her. Luckily, it was just superficial through and through the left shoulder and then grazing the corner of her mouth. She is 8 months old ( got her around 3 months) and stills does dumb puppy stuff like chewing shoes, tax papers, and the occasional pillow, but she's lovable, smart, and a great addition to our family.

The only negative thing I will say about dogs is that they leave us too soon. Losing one or having to put them down, leaves a huge hole in your heart.

Good luck! Now go out and get one.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Like 1

One parent in a family of four has to really want a dog.  If both milktoasty, don't get one.

We got a puppy, and he had a grand total of one accident in the house.  But we had someone with him 24/7 following all the rules for taking him out semi-hourly.  

Even if you are gone most of the workday, you have to figure out a way to get absolute minimum two good walks a day.  When our dog stays at home, we usually have someone come home for lunch to give him a noon walk.  He gets three walks relatively religiously plus fetch in the back yard.

Lot's of exercise equals no discipline problems.

We took him for obedience training at a place near our house (Flag Pole Hill in Dallas) for about six months.  He's a good walker (heeling) and he sits and stays on command, which is all you really need.

Good luck.  We love our guy.

On 4/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My ex bought my daughter a dog, and then of course moved to a place where they couldn't have pets.  It's not even a real dog, it's a chihuahua.   You are entirely correct that the dad will be the one doing every thing.  I like dogs, but fuck a chihuahua.  I have to admit though I have started to grow attached to the little fucker.  It is kind of a chick magnet too.

file_10582_column_Screen_shot_2012-04-20

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 8:00 AM, 406W30th said:

I pretty much know the answer to this – no, we should not – but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on dog ownership and I'd love for someone to play devil's advocate.

Our family of four ( with a 2-year old and 4-year old) lives in a 2,200 sq foot house in the middle of the city. We have a fenced-in backyard and there are tons of trails and parks nearby, though the closest off-leash park is a couple of miles away. We love to go on long walks as a family and I jog as well.

We would only adopt a rescue that's at least 2 years old and good with children (at least according to their foster family's description, which I realize might not be terribly accurate). In non-pandemic times, we both work outside the home, though I work from home at least once a week.

Are there any dogs that are actually okay by themselves, or is every dog going to be generally miserable living in solidarity for 40 or so hours/week? Does having small children make it a non-starter?

I'll hang up and listen.

What did you decide?