RIP Brian Dennehy

BigDHornfan

57 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Was just talking about him recently for his role in some tv movie about a town bully on another forum.   Always enjoyed his work, think I first remember seeing him as the bartender in "10". 

The best friend of one of my college roommates is comedian/actor Chris Bonno, and he played one of the sons of the most-bullied dude in town in that TV movie,  In Broad Daylight. Based on a true story, Dennehy played a real piece of shit who terrorized everyone, until someone took him out, and no one would rat out the perp(s).

i just saw Dennehy in First Blood the other day.  Good actor, should have taken a different approach with John Rambo. RIP

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

I was guilty of this, until I realized I was thinking of Charles Durning. Which led me to looking up his “Sidestep” number in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, so it was a good diversion.

And when I was thinking of Dennehy's roles I thought he had played Jessica Lange's father in Tootsie, but that was Durning.

Other movies Dennehy were in include Foul Play (starring Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn) and Cocoon (starring slimy alien pods), but my favorite performances were First Blood and Silverado.

He really made a good bad guy. RIP.

58 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

The best friend of one of my college roommates is comedian/actor Chris Bonno, and he played one of the sons of the most-bullied dude in town in that TV movie,  In Broad Daylight. Based on a true story, Dennehy played a real piece of shit who terrorized everyone, until someone took him out, and no one would rat out the perp(s).

i just saw Dennehy in First Blood the other day.  Good actor, should have taken a different approach with John Rambo. RIP

TY, couldn't remember the name of that TV movie. 

22 minutes ago, Bojack said:

He was in what has to be the best made for tv movie of all time, The Jericho Mile.  

Spoiler alert, this is the final scene in the movie.  Dennehy appears at about 2:10. 

Damn good movie.  

1 hour ago, futureman said:

yeah, same.  I thought he died a while ago.  

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm astonished to learn that he was alive up until so recently. 

Y'all realize he was just acting when he died in Tommy Boy, right?

• Like 1

He was terrific. There are almost always pairs of actors who struggle for the same role. I think Samuel L Jackson partially eclipsed Laurence Fishburn, for example. An older example would be Lesley Ann Warren and Susan Sarandon.

Dennehy stated once that he frequently was the second choice behind Gene Hackman. I hadn't thought of them as being similar until he said that. They both bring grittiness and wit.

RIP Brian. Some very good work you leave behind.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

He was terrific. There are almost always pairs of actors who struggle for the same role. I think Samuel L Jackson partially eclipsed Laurence Fishburn, for example. An older example would be Lesley Ann Warren and Susan Sarandon.

Dennehy stated once that he frequently was the second choice behind Gene Hackman. I hadn't thought of them as being similar until he said that. They both bring grittiness and wit.

RIP Brian. Some very good work you leave behind.

I would rather get in a fight with Gene Hackman than Brian Dennehy.

Dennehy would kick Hackman's ass.

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm astonished to learn that he was alive up until so recently. 

2 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah, same.  I thought he died a while ago.  

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I was guilty of this, until I realized I was thinking of Charles Durning. Which led me to looking up his “Sidestep” number in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, so it was a good diversion.

You all are confusing him with another Brian, Brian Keith, from Hardcastle and McCormick and the original Parent Trap.  He died in 1997.

14 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I don't see Hackman backing down.

Hackman was a Marine for five years.

At the age of 16, Hackman decided to drop out of high school and join the Marines. Despite being underage, he lied well enough to enlist.

It only took a few short months in 1947 for the teenaged Hackman to go from basic training to a duty station in China. He worked primarily as a radio operator,

Dennehy was a Marine, too, but he lied about combat duty:

Actor Brian Dennehy claimed for years that he served a five-year tour as a Marine in Vietnam, where he was wounded in action. In reality, Dennehy's only Vietnam "action" was on-screen in "A Rumor of War", in which he portrayed a Marine gunnery sergeant. While Dennehy did serve in the Marines, it was not in Vietnam; his only "combat duty" was playing football in Okinawa in 1962.

Dennehy still served. I don't know who would have won the fight. I love watching them both on screen.

26 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

We are really gonna struggle when one of these guys goes...

spacer.png

I refer to them collectively and interchangeably as Dermott McDermis, and I would recommend that you also adopt this naming scheme.

After all, how often do you actually have to distinguish between one or the other? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

3 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

He was in a bunch of really good film/tv productions:

• First Blood
  • Gorky Park
  • Silverado
  • F/X
  • Presumed Innocent
  • Tommy Boy
  • Dallas
  • Miami Vice
  • Just Shoot Me!
  • The West Wing
  • The 4400
  • 30 Rock
  • The Good Wife
  • Hap and Leonard

Repped for listing Gorky Park. Underrated flick. Dennehy, Joanna Pacula, William Hurt when he still had hair, and Lee Marvin when he still had life.

Dennehy was creepily convincing as John Wayne Gacy (and Pogo the Clown) in the TV movie “To Catch a Killer.”  I remember feeling my skin crawl during a scene in which he’s shooting pool with a teenage boy, trying to seduce him with a drink and says, “You know Billy, there’s more than one way to get your rocks off.” The way he delivered that line made me fear for that young actor. 

Edited by Whitewater Horn

3 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Dennehy was one of those career supporting actors who made the stars like Hackman look good. THAT's who should be getting Oscars instead of the leading man who so graciously took the 2nd biggest part.

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

We are really gonna struggle when one of these guys goes...

Just wait until the actor who played Gandalf in the Harry Potter movies kicks the bucket.  First, people are going to say "wait, you're confusing him with Richard Harris, he died like 15 years ago" and then they are going to go "wait, Ron Paul is also a British actor?"