Season Ticket Renewal

blacklab

Who's doing this?

I think I'm going to hold out till I'm a little more sure the season is going to be played with fans in the stands. They have been pestering me and I'd like to make sure I can pay the mortgage before committing to it. I asked in an email if I'll get a refund if the season isn't played. This is their response:

Thanks for your email, and I do appreciate your concern.

Similar to what we did with refunds to baseball and softball this spring season, we want to be customer centric while still fully intending on having a football season. For baseball and softball, we refunded ticket costs and had options for seat-related gifts. We strive to be donor- and customer-centric and want to do right by you and our donors and customer services.

We are gauging renewal intentions from our season ticket holders so we can make this the best possible experience. As of right now, Chris Del Conte and Texas Athletics is planning on the football season as scheduled. If that changes, you’ll be the first to know. The payment plan option is a good opportunity as that helps your priority points if you wanted to relocate your seats as well as select parking, in addition to being more financially sensitive. Payment plan dates are May 1, June 1, July 1, and August 3.

a really, really, long winded "maybe"

9 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yeah. It also kind of sounds like they're going to push merch on hand or some such pretty hard before they give the cash back. Hopefully they make it easier than cancelling a dating site subscription or finding PayPal's phone number. 

Edited by Marfa Low Crown

I don't donate that much so as long as I get the ticket cost back I'll be good.  Sounds that will be a definite refund (I mean it has to, right?).  But I assume if you request the donation back then you lose your grandfathered location.  I'm waiting until May 1 just to see if they delay the date again.  But yeah, I've gotten numerous emails and voice mails.

19 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Who's doing this?

I think I'm going to hold out till I'm a little more sure the season is going to be played with fans in the stands. They have been pestering me and I'd like to make sure I can pay the mortgage before committing to it. I asked in an email if I'll get a refund if the season isn't played. This is their response:

No shit. Best evasive answer I've seen in a while.

I have told them in all likelihood I am not renewing. I am in for a goodly amount of $ for east side club seats and really the club is a bit of a pain (total first world problems)

The use of drink tickets vs being able to use a card (you end up carrying like $100 of drink tickets per game and it feels like 1960s BS) also there is minimal seating inside the club. Add in fact that I am unsure there will be games this year AND this year's home schedule really sucks I am 99% sure I am out. Add in fact on field product has been pretty poor last 10 years as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

I already renewed.  I figure if there is no season then they will just roll over the money paid to 2021.

I renewed too, and already have a bad feeling that they will be keeping my LHF donation but will refund or rollover my ticket purchase to next year, assuming I donate to the LHF again in 2021.

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I renewed too, and already have a bad feeling that they will be keeping my LHF donation but will refund or rollover my ticket purchase to next year, assuming I donate to the LHF again in 2021.

Thinking that if you donate and get no seat benefit then 100% of donation should be tax deductible.

Hopefully they make it easier than cancelling a dating site subscription or finding PayPal's phone number. 

The trick to dating sites is to use a prepaid card. If you don’t want to renew just don’t fund the card. That’s what I do with my son’s XBox account also. I have a prepaid card issued by my bank. No fees and I can do instant transfers to it from my phone. They don’t care how many times shit hits it and bounces.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’m guessing that’s the case as well, as I’ve already resigned myself to the fact that I won’t be getting my 2020 LHF payment back. But as Jkwelborn said, it’s possible I may get a nice upgrade in seats for the 2021 season.

9 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I have told them in all likelihood I am not renewing. I am in for a goodly amount of $ for east side club seats and really the club is a bit of a pain (total first world problems)

The use of drink tickets vs being able to use a card (you end up carrying like $100 of drink tickets per game and it feels like 1960s BS) also there is minimal seating inside the club. Add in fact that I am unsure there will be games this year AND this year's home schedule really sucks I am 99% sure I am out. Add in fact on field product has been pretty poor last 10 years as well.

morganfreeman.gif

I am giving mine up. Can't justify the expense with all this going on in the world and commercial real estate going to shit. I don't want them to sit on thousands of dollars of mine when there is a real chance of a season not getting played. Might have an opportunity for better seats down the road if I get the itch to buy season tickets.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 6:44 PM, 927 E. 41st said:

It will be interesting, my LHF donation is the lions share of my costs. I'd like to think they'll take care of me somehow. Time will tell.

Yeah that is where I am. I have not renewed yet mainly because I would like to see some clarity on what is going to happen to seat related gifts if there is no season. 

I renewed mine before I ever heard of Rona.  I also bought my September SWA flights to New Orleans before cfb cancellations were ever a consideration.  

What were the "options" for seat-related donations in baseball and softball?    Sure would be nice if I could at least roll those over.  

On 4/16/2020 at 10:27 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The trick to dating sites is to use a prepaid card. If you don’t want to renew just don’t fund the card. That’s what I do with my son’s XBox account also. I have a prepaid card issued by my bank. No fees and I can do instant transfers to it from my phone. They don’t care how many times shit hits it and bounces.

You learned this from a previous marriage.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 9:11 PM, TKthunder2 said:

I renewed already too, but they can keep the annual donation and just refund my season home tickets plus the four for the OU. 
I intend to renew for the 2021 season.

1 hour ago, Bob Lives! said:

I renewed mine before I ever heard of Rona.  I also bought my September SWA flights to New Orleans before cfb cancellations were ever a consideration.  

What were the "options" for seat-related donations in baseball and softball?    Sure would be nice if I could at least roll those over.  

"I want the non-refundable tickets!"

Uh, yes, great strategy.  That's what I use it for also. 

3 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

See below.   Different in that the seasons had started.    Seems they will need a rollover plan for LHF donations and season ticket purchases.

• Turn what you’ve paid into a GIFT to the Longhorn Foundation, which financially supports services like nutrition, sports medicine, tutoring, travel and career services for all of our 500+ student-athletes. Most gift options to the Longhorn Foundation are tax-deductible.

• If a gift is not possible for you, we can CREDIT your account for the remaining ticket and season parking purchase balance, which can be applied toward any University of Texas Athletics ticket purchase made before August 31, 2020, including 2020 football season renewals and new season ticket deposits.

• If neither of those options work for you, you may request a refund for your remaining ticket purchase balance by Friday, April 3. Refunds will be processed beginning Monday, April 6.

Don't expect a 2021 credit if you decide to renew and the season is canceled. I found out this spring that the athletic department does not have the technological capability to credit an account. Richest athletic department in the country and they can't do that. 

I already renewed before things went south. Hoping they roll everything to 2021 - which it sounds like isn't an option for baseball - or refund when the season is cancelled. I plan on being a pain in their ass if they attempt anything aside from those two things.

17 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Don't expect a 2021 credit if you decide to renew and the season is canceled. I found out this spring that the athletic department does not have the technological capability to credit an account. Richest athletic department in the country and they can't do that. 

“...we are programmed to receive.  You can check out any time you’d like, but you can never leave.” 

• Like 4

Sad indeed. Renewed and donation already paid... however on the payment plan for the tickets so it sounds like at least that portion would be somewhat refundable. I'd be ok if the donation just converts to one of the other types however not my preference.

From CDC's weekly letter:

FOOTBALL SEASON TICKET RENEWALS:
While the extended deadline for renewing football season tickets is coming up on May 1, I must say we are beyond grateful for the passion on display by our loyal season tickets holders who are investing in our program by renewing. I have personally talked to so many of you and some have asked if we will refund your investment in season tickets and seat-related gifts if we are forced to cancel the season due to the pandemic. While we are doing everything we can to ensure we can safely have a football season in the fall and looking forward to that, rest assured that should the season get cancelled, or significantly altered, we will make an exception to our standard no-refund policy. Our dedicated Longhorn faithful will have the choice to have their investment returned, or to convert it (including the ticket cost) into a charitable contribution to the Longhorn Foundation. We’ve also moved our payment billing plan dates back so that only 25 percent of your season ticket purchases are due by May 1, if you’d rather not pay in full at this time.

I think they are making the right call here, I spend as much money on tickets as I can justify. I wouldn't feel great about giving it all to them with nothing in return. On the other hand, I would be willing to give some donation to the Longhorn Foundation if there is no season. Enough to be sure our athletes are better off than those in Norman or College Station. 

On 4/16/2020 at 5:18 PM, blacklab said:

Who's doing this?

Since you’ll be the first to know, please share it with the rest of us. 

Do they call it a debit card, credit card, or something different? I want to look into that. If only you had come along 5 years ago. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

If there is no season they can keep my annual donation to the LHF, but I would like my season tix (including 4 OU) refunded.

will save it for The 2021 season.if I’m still alive.

I'm thinking of going 20% of the total, I might be convinced to do more if I thought it would give UT a massive leg up on the competition.

Edited by 927 E. 41st
removed underscore.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:23 PM, HRSchenker said:

The ticket portion of the website doesn't really work, either (or not for shit), so I am not surprised.

The Department fucked me in 2015 or so when I dragged my feet renewing because Charlie Strong and Steve Patterson were worthless fucking idiots. I "lost" 20 years of season ticket holder priority. I basically started over from square one in 2016. I am really trying to give a shit at this point.

Just received my call from the LHF. He confirmed that full refunds will be made on season tickets, and the ticket donation is refundable if the entire season is canceled. A partial cancellation will result in a pro-rated refund.  Both the tickets and ticket donation can be redirected to an area of the department that will result in a tax-deductible donation. The choice is ours. 

He also confirmed that a refund of the ticket donation will neither result in a loss of accrued loyalty points (we will probably lose the points earned from the 2020 ticket donation - I forgot to ask), nor  a loss of seat location. Of course, that is only if the entire season is canceled. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

Got this:

While we are doing everything we can to ensure we safely have a football season in the fall and looking forward to that, rest assured that should the season get cancelled, or significantly altered, we will make an exception to our standard no-refund policy. Season ticket holders will have the choice to have their investment (ticket and seat-gift) returned or converted into a charitable contribution to the Longhorn Foundation.

I also posted this in the "2020 season" thread, but felt it was also germane to this topic.

We expect to announce the university’s plans for the fall semester by the end of June. This timing will enable faculty to prepare their classes and curriculums so that they can deliver the extraordinary educational experiences UT is known for. It will also provide time for our dedicated staff members to reopen the facilities, integrate new learning technologies and prepare to implement new health-conscious practices and policies. In late June, we will have more information about the state of the COVID-19 crisis, and a strategy to help students plan for the fall semester will be in place.

From a purely monetary point of view,  unless you have great tickets that you are going to keep regardless,  it might be smart to give them up and you could get tickets in a better location at at better price.  

Like anything in life,  it's a gamble.  I truly hope I'm wrong,  but if there is football season I'm afraid there will be a lot of empty seats.  

I gave mine up back in the FUPM times and have not really regretted it,  but I will be shopping next year. 

Edited by Laga4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

From a purely monetary point of view,  unless you have great tickets that you are going to keep regardless,  it might be smart to give them up and you could get tickets in a better location at at better price.  

Like anything in life,  it's a gamble.  I truly hope I'm wrong,  but if there is football season I'm afraid there will be a lot of empty seats.  

I gave mine up back in the FUPM times and have not really regretted it,  but I will be shopping this year. 

This. We will not have football this year.

18 hours ago, Laga4 said:

I gave mine up back in the FUPM times and have not really regretted it,  but I will be shopping next year. 

I’d give mine up in a heartbeat, but there’s no way I could get the same or better seats (40 YL barely under the upper deck) for less than a limb or first born child. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Longhorn said:

What is the risk at this point?  LHF says they will reimburse tickets and donation if no season/games. No?

Impossible to quantify because it's based on individual feelings, but the risk of the season moving forward when you don't feel comfortable attending, and demand is significantly lower so you can't recoup your costs by selling. Though the home schedule already kind of sucked so you weren't going to get much for your tickets this year anyway unless a TCU or WVU ends up being really good randomly.

Or any kind of altered arrangement where you can't attend but they're playing anyway so you just threw money down the drain.

Also, brilliant username. So simple everyone would assume it's taken. Nice.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 1