The Man in the High Castle (all seasons)

Hagbard Celine

I guess I don't understand how they're going to be able to do anything beyond Season 4. This series has told an interesting story, but it gets darker and darker and more and more hopeless. At some point, what's the fucking point? If there's nothing moving the story into real conflict between the worlds in the next season, and at least some daylight on good eventually triumphing even in their world, I don't see a point in watching. 

I guess I don't understand how they're going to be able to do anything beyond Season 4. This series has told an interesting story, but it gets darker and darker and more and more hopeless. At some point, what's the fucking point? If there's nothing moving the story into real conflict between the worlds in the next season, and at least some daylight on good eventually triumphing even in their world, I don't see a point in watching. 

Smith seems to be just about ready to switch sides again. Pretty sure that’s the hope for triumph in the main universe.

38 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Smith seems to be just about ready to switch sides again. Pretty sure that’s the hope for triumph in the main universe.

Seems like the only possibility that gives hope.... That and the trade minister seemingly being disenchanted with the whole world domination experiment. 

On 10/8/2018 at 10:04 PM, Js1 said:

German Concorde can go Berlin to NY in 3 hours. 

not sure if that's a criticism of the writing, but that's feasible if you use reheat the whole way shattered windows be damned.  my trip JFK-LHR was 2:57 at 2.0 and Concorde did not break 1.0 until well east of Montauk and went back under 1.0 about 50 miles west of Penzance.  our-world nazi aerospace technology was a year away from domination of the sky with resources and avgas.  the writing and effects to render the Dornier Do 31 were spot on.  it was a real bird that first flew in our-world 1967.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31

Dornier-Do31-Start-Dornier-Museum-jpg-86

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Drew said:

Okay for the ones like me who haven't seen the show(I know what it's about, just haven't watched yet), what's going on there?  Looks interesting.

Got-damn nazis cheated and won WW2.  Merica defeated, but an insurgency is starting to make the world a better place.....

or it could just be inter- dimension travel, we dont know yet

Edited by AUS-97HORN
g

16 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I still have not been able to make it through Season 3. 

That's what worries me.  I LOVE historical, and alternative historical, shows/media...but it looks like a real slow burn.  But I thought Longmire and Hell on Wheels were slow burns and loved them too.

15 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Got-damn nazis cheated and won WW2.  Merica defeated, but an insurgency is starting to make the world a better place.....

or it could just be inter- dimension travel, we dont know yet

Yeah I know that...I was talking about this trailer specifically.  Almost looks like she came to our world where we won or something.

27 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yeah I know that...I was talking about this trailer specifically.  Almost looks like she came to our world where we won or something.

Spoiler

She traveled to our world where America won, yes.  These people are travelers who have learned to travel between realities. Travel is only possible if their counterpart in the other reality either doesn't exist or died. She - Juliana Crane - can see the memories of her alternate selves after seeing or touching objects/persons. 

It's basically the multiverse and traveling between them. 

• Like 1

Just remember, Heydrich is dead in the main plot line world.  So he’s going to get from one plane to another to exact what he feels his right.  If you thought himmler and hitler were the true evils of Nazism; you weren’t paying attention.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The JPS plots (both old and new) have taken an interesting twist.  I'm liking it, but in a very different way from the previous seasons.  See below for thoughts on the Reich plotlines

Spoiler

I'm a handful of episodes in...it seems like they're building towards Helen Smith, of all people, being the undoing of either John as Reichsmarshall, or just the Himmlers (and their handpicked successors), or maybe even the entire Reich on our soil.  But holy shit, the scenes with her brooding and moping are a beating.  Get ready for a massive amount of time to be spent on the Smith family.  I can see there's a reason for it though.  

The portal/astral plane, and Aberdeen stuff is really well done thus far though, and even Juliana Crane's story is intriguing again.  

35 minutes ago, Zombie said:

Just watched episode 1. I'm pretty lost. I was drunk for a lot of season 3, so I may just need to rewatch season 3 to know what's going on. 

Basically why I was out after S2.  We watched S3 Ep1, went back to watch S2, then gave up. 

On 11/17/2019 at 1:40 PM, Js1 said:

Helen Smith season 4 MVP

season 4 was great. I think the BCR storyline really injected a shot of life back into the show. 

i also don’t get the ending? 

I finished it yesterday. The ending sucked. Very GOT-ish where they were trying to close the story too quickly. Very confusing premise too.

Why would people march into the Nazi world instead of the other way around? Wouldn't the other German officer take charge now that Smith was dead? Going the other way would make more sense since that universe had us winning the war

Way too many storylines not resolved, especially the blonde lesbian German and the brunette reporter. I assume they scissored in jail.

8 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I finished it yesterday. The ending sucked. Very GOT-ish where they were trying to close the story too quickly. Very confusing premise too.

Reveal hidden contents

Why would people march into the Nazi world instead of the other way around? Wouldn't the other German officer take charge now that Smith was dead? Going the other way would make more sense since that universe had us winning the war

Way too many storylines not resolved, especially the blonde lesbian German and the brunette reporter. I assume they scissored in jail.

I think your definition of getting “scissored” in a nazi prison is vastly different from that of official reich prison policy.  Das Danka Schanka state women’s prison was a rough place.  

31 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I think they were all the people killed by the Nazis coming back (as you can only travel into worlds through which you don't have a counterpart).

Honestly, I would have preferred some kind of "Smith is dead" and the American officer who ripped off his swastika be like "launch the fucking nukes at Berlin" 

43 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

This series would have been a lot better if they had left out the entire time travel plot. A world where the Axis Powers won WWII is an interesting enough study without throwing in tears in the time/space continuum...

I agree mostly. I did like the exploration of how does a regular person turn into a nazi this season, and having another world to see how the Smith family turns out when not being forced with the nazi decision was interesting. 

1 hour ago, seven said:

I agree mostly. I did like the exploration of how does a regular person turn into a nazi this season, and having another world to see how the Smith family turns out when not being forced with the nazi decision was interesting. 

I would never hit a child, but Little Nazi Amy had me like:

Image result for child slap gif

I love books on alternative history.

If you guys like the premise of a world where the Axis powers won WWII there is a book called Fatherland by Robert Harris. It’s a murder mystery set in Nazi Germany in 1964 amid the celebration for Hitlers 75th birthday.

Germany controls land all the way to the Urals and has a peaceful agreement with the USA and its president Joe Kennedy.

This book was made into a movie in 1994 with Rutger Hauer that won or was nominated for some golden globes.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 12:56 PM, Spankytoes said:

Reveal hidden contents

blew off football today because fuck jerry jones and clappy ginger and did a nonstop 10-hour binge consume.

worse that GOT-ish, it could be perceived by those less inclined to understand it as having gone Lost-ish.  also way too many characters just disappeared between season 3 and season 4.

fucking team trade minister is taken out in the dead zone between seasons.  and the setup was there for something really new and inventive crossing the streams.  fuck that shit.  so much potential wasted.  trade minister was the first jumper, he was the i ching practitioner, and the natural trajectory was for trade minister and hawthorn abendsen to be the pivots or catalysts around the merging of worlds.   the mengele orrery of worlds/realities was so incredibly cool, obviously stolen from prometheus, but who cares.  incredible potential for combat/history/characters/threads to interface & interact with each other across world/realities at the same time.

and like a sleestack pylon we get hexagram 64 carved in the rock at smith's deathsite.  what the fuck?

way too much unfinished business.  so much potential wasted.

it feels like amazon said "you get X$ to finish it off don't embarrass yourselves".

I looked up the Trade minister on IMDB because it was clear he got cut out of the show.  I looked him up after I watched the 2nd episode this final season and  he was still listed as  getting imdb credit for this season.

I was worried the actor had died, but it looks like they just cut him out-  maybe a contract issue?

I think technically when Juliana wanders up behind him in the 1st/2nd episode of the season in her 'vision', that counts as his appearance.  

His connection with the I Ching is so much more critical in the book.  I know a Japanese person (or Ms. Crane, for that matter) playing with a set of dead sticks doesn't make for compelling TV.  But as stated above, he and Hawthorne were meant to be the "world-crossers."  Juliana eventually "takes his place", as it were.

Anyway, I've been saving the last half of the last episode as a holiday "treat", but it seems I'll be sorely disappointed.